Author Topic: [GB] GMK Necro | Available on Originative.co  (Read 158668 times)

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
Re: [GB] GMK Necro | Available on Originative.co
« Reply #500 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 04:02:49 »
That is not the problem, here's a comparison in poor lighting (with the studio lights, they both look similar). Definitely two different colors, so this is on Jessica:

Offline Starius

« Reply #501 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 09:00:23 »
This was my interpretation of the samples.

Show Image

You know, that actually seems to be what's going on, I wonder if somehow there was a miscommunication somewhere or something else happened to the chosen colors.

In regards to the direction the thread has been going the past few pages: Everyone taking part in the GB is entitled to express their opinion on the state of the set, but I see many comments that could stand to be much more polite about what they're saying, from both sides of this. It serves no purpose to be rude or accusatory in any of the conversation that's going on here and only results in derailing and diluting of the thread. At the moment, it would do everyone well to be patient while we hear from more people getting the set and waiting for more of the whole picture to reveal itself.

I agree completely.

Personally, I'm not going to even begin to share an opinion until I have my set in hand. 

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #502 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 09:28:57 »
At the moment, it would do everyone well to be patient while we hear from more people getting the set and waiting for more of the whole picture to reveal itself.

Some users have already reported back with their set on hands over on reddit, and they all confirmed the color of the mods were indeed exactly like what Emir posted (i.e. navy blue and not gray as depicted in the render). So, at this point, it seems very LIKELY what you saw earlier is what you will get.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #503 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 12:33:24 »
This was my interpretation of the samples.

Show Image

You know, that actually seems to be what's going on, I wonder if somehow there was a miscommunication somewhere or something else happened to the chosen colors.

In regards to the direction the thread has been going the past few pages: Everyone taking part in the GB is entitled to express their opinion on the state of the set, but I see many comments that could stand to be much more polite about what they're saying, from both sides of this. It serves no purpose to be rude or accusatory in any of the conversation that's going on here and only results in derailing and diluting of the thread. At the moment, it would do everyone well to be patient while we hear from more people getting the set and waiting for more of the whole picture to reveal itself.

This thread is the great example of why so many people get turned off in this community. On one side you have some rightfully upset folks who didn't get what was expected and have voiced their opinions with respect to all parties involved. On the other side you have people like Emir who go onto Reddit and personally attack Jessica with witty titled posts and think that is going to fix the issue or change the outcome. Seriously, sell it and move on. Someone offered to buy your set, the personal attacks contribute nothing to the conversation.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline bdkrzy

« Reply #504 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 13:52:26 »
This thread is the great example of why so many people get turned off in this community.

Hmm sorry but I was just curious where did you get this information from? Survey? Poll? Genuinely curious. I don't think I've seen anyone gets turned off in this community? Can you name a person?

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #505 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 15:00:46 »
This thread is the great example of why so many people get turned off in this community.

Hmm sorry but I was just curious where did you get this information from? Survey? Poll? Genuinely curious. I don't think I've seen anyone gets turned off in this community? Can you name a person?

It happens a lot. Turns out people who leave the community don’t fill out surveys. I can’t imagine how anyone could think that toxicity doesn’t affect community participation.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #506 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 16:34:10 »

It happens a lot. Turns out people who leave the community don’t fill out surveys. I can’t imagine how anyone could think that toxicity doesn’t affect community participation.

Damn so happy not the only person who see's this. The community can be a toxic waste dump at times. I know personally I felt like wiping my hands of it several times. People get way to emotional way to quick. I get being upset over spending bunch of money and not getting your product but yea personal attacks just go to far....

That being said I agree the colors are off from all the pictures I have seen. I personally liked the concept and the renders. I wanted the set planned to pick set up from Org. when money allowed. I will now hard pass on these. I also know others have said this is the second time this has happened with this group buy runner. Easy solution don't join there gb anymore. I know I wouldn't but bashing them. Attacking them personally is not the way to go. I also thought will say this a gb runner is just that there like a business they need to remain professional.

Great take, IMO.  I almost got turned off by it when I first got into the community.  Thankfully, I decided that I liked the hobby more than I disliked the community.  And found out that it's just a very vocal minority that thinks that attacking people is the way to go.  But I can definitely see someone thinking that it's not worth the hassle.  Look at the numbers generated on some of these buys.  That's not representative of just the people that post.  Many sit back and watch.  And the money of the watchers is very necessary for the long-term viability of the hobby. 

There are ways to express disappointment that are not toxic.  And a lot of the basis was learned in kindergarten with the golden rule.  It doesn't say treat others as you'd like to be treated only when they treat you right.  It's all on each and every one of us.

Offline Nzo

• wish I was back in CA
« Reply #507 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 16:39:10 »

Damn so happy not the only person who see's this. The community can be a toxic waste dump at times. I know personally I felt like wiping my hands of it several times. People get way to emotional way to quick. I get being upset over spending bunch of money and not getting your product but yea personal attacks just go to far....

That being said I agree the colors are off from all the pictures I have seen. I personally liked the concept and the renders. I wanted the set planned to pick set up from Org. when money allowed. I will now hard pass on these. I also know others have said this is the second time this has happened with this group buy runner. Easy solution don't join there gb anymore. I know I wouldn't but bashing them. Attacking them personally is not the way to go. I also thought will say this a gb runner is just that there like a business they need to remain professional.

Did you guys even read the thread? Emir definitely took it too far but let’s not pretend Jessica handled herself with dignity. She belittled anyone who raised a concern, attacked people’s intelligence, and told everyone that she doesn’t care what they think since only she knows how the set is suppose to look. Even those who paid and stuck with her for two failed GB attempts, she showed a lack of respect. Her arrogance and lack of professional maturity may have been overlooked if she delivered, but don’t try to paint her as a victim when her behavior and how she handled the GB likely added fuel to Emir’s fire.

Hindsight 20/20, she made a lot of mistakes that should have been avoidable and you’d think wouldn’t have happened to someone in their second GB. Even now with her project being the laughing stock of the community, she’s not exactly handling it very well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 November 2018, 16:42:22 by Nzo »

Offline saphispi

« Reply #508 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 16:48:31 »
Did you guys even read the thread? Emir definitely took it too far but let’s not pretend Jessica handled herself with dignity. She belittled anyone who raised a concern, attacked people’s intelligence, and told everyone that she doesn’t care what they think since only she knows how the set is suppose to look. Even those who paid and stuck with her for two failed GB attempts, she showed a lack of respect. Her arrogance and lack of professional maturity may have been overlooked if she delivered, but don’t try to paint her as a victim when her behavior and how she handled the GB likely added fuel to Emir’s fire.

Hindsight 20/20, she made a lot of mistakes that should have been avoidable and you’d think wouldn’t have happened to someone in their second GB. Even now with her project being the laughing stock of the community, she’s not exactly handling it very well.
^ This ++

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #509 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 16:57:22 »

Bad behavior on her part (which she should be called out for) doesn't exclude bad behavior in return.  Everyone needs to participate to make it a less toxic community, and not just react.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #510 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 18:05:04 »
This is the last warning to please remain civil and not throw out insults at each other (especially hiding behind troll accounts) and remember that this is a community of enthusiasts which is based not only on making cool stuff and exchange information, but also sharing the experience of being interested in the same things and generally hopefully finding similarly-minded people and maybe even developing long-term friendships (now I've made it sound like a dating site...) 

More intense thread cleaning will follow if the discussion does not become more considerate.

. . . . . . .
Things happen in the process of creating custom items--any number of issues can come up.  The fault can be hard to place, objectively, especially given the long-distance communication between the manufacturer and set designer.  Still in the end if one is not happy with the product, the classifieds (and reddit mechmarket) are generally good for reselling your brand new set for what you paid during the group buy.  It's extremely likely that most of the sets differ at least a little from the initial renders as they are shown on my particular screen.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 November 2018, 18:06:39 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #511 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 18:20:31 »
Things happen in the process of creating custom items--any number of issues can come up.  The fault can be hard to place, objectively, especially given the long-distance communication between the manufacturer and set designer.  Still in the end if one is not happy with the product, the classifieds (and reddit mechmarket) are generally good for reselling your brand new set for what you paid during the group buy.  It's extremely likely that most of the sets differ at least a little from the initial renders as they are shown on my particular screen.

Not to stir things up further but given the earlier posts (especially the one with the diagram) it seems like the most egregious mistake if the fact one colour was completely eliminated from the end product for unknown reason. If that's the case the fault is pretty easy to place here, either Oco/Jessica gave GMK the wrong colours (by mistake, hopefully?) or GMK fluffed the batch on their end.

Regardless, whoever that someone is has some splainin to do - the green from the alphas and the blue from the accents being off, which for better or for worse they quite clearly are far as the final renders go, are the least of the people involved's concern when an entire colour customers quite literally paid for is missing.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #512 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 18:30:02 »

Not to stir things up further but given the earlier posts (especially the one with the diagram) it seems like the most egregious mistake if the fact one colour was completely eliminated from the end product for unknown reason. If that's the case the fault is pretty easy to place here, either Oco/Jessica gave GMK the wrong colours (by mistake, hopefully?) or GMK fluffed the batch on their end.

Regardless, whoever that someone is has some splainin to do - the green from the alphas and the blue from the accents being off, which for better or for worse they quite clearly are far as the final renders go, are the least of the people involved's concern when an entire colour customers quite literally paid for is missing.
Yes I can also see that the set and the renders differs, however what do you want jessica to do about it? Yes she can do a public apology etc. but at the end of the day, she wanted the set to be as good as all of you wanted it to be. She didn't choose a different color just to **** with you, but I think she did it because she thought it looked the best match to the renders.

Yall need to treat GB's like a kickstarter where the runner thinks of a cool concept and does everything in their power to achieve it. If you want to back that project or not is up to you. You can't treat a GB like a store purchase, even though the more the kb-community evolves the more professional GB's tend to get.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #513 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 18:30:15 »
given the earlier posts (especially the one with the diagram) it seems like the most egregious mistake if the fact one colour was completely eliminated from the end product for unknown reason.

The top post on this page shows that it's not the case:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94937.msg2680947#msg2680947

Two different colors for the alpha legends and for the modifiers.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 November 2018, 18:34:20 by Signature »

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #514 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 19:13:53 »
This is the last warning to please remain civil and not throw out insults at each other (especially hiding behind troll accounts) and remember that this is a community of enthusiasts which is based not only on making cool stuff and exchange information, but also sharing the experience of being interested in the same things and generally hopefully finding similarly-minded people and maybe even developing long-term friendships (now I've made it sound like a dating site...) 

More intense thread cleaning will follow if the discussion does not become more considerate.

. . . . . . .

Yes. This.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #515 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 20:14:00 »
Yes I can also see that the set and the renders differs, however what do you want jessica to do about it? Yes she can do a public apology etc. but at the end of the day, she wanted the set to be as good as all of you wanted it to be. She didn't choose a different color just to **** with you, but I think she did it because she thought it looked the best match to the renders.

Yall need to treat GB's like a kickstarter where the runner thinks of a cool concept and does everything in their power to achieve it. If you want to back that project or not is up to you. You can't treat a GB like a store purchase, even though the more the kb-community evolves the more professional GB's tend to get.

I didn't participate so I have no reason to be upset besides the fact I wanted it to turn out well because I liked the colour scheme a lot. As per Photo's post linking a pertinent picture, I'm still kinda confused - the modifier base colour appears to be that of the legends for the accent keys, not for the alphas. Regardless that still ends up being 4 custom colours which is what people paid for rather than the perceived 3, meaning it's just a discrepancy in vision rather than a **** up with monetary implications as I thought it looked to be.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #516 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 21:18:46 »
To me it looks like GMK shot the mods with the wrong color and, if that's the case, GMK should make it right. IIRC, as of her last post, Jessica didn't have her set yet so the best thing to do would be to wait till she does and has seen it with her own eyes.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #517 on: Sun, 18 November 2018, 22:52:55 »
remember that this is a community of enthusiasts which is based not only on making cool stuff and exchange information, but also sharing the experience of being interested in the same things and generally hopefully finding similarly-minded people and maybe even developing long-term friendships

well said

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #518 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 00:32:13 »
To me it looks like GMK shot the mods with the wrong color and, if that's the case, GMK should make it right. IIRC, as of her last post, Jessica didn't have her set yet so the best thing to do would be to wait till she does and has seen it with her own eyes.

In any case, give some room to the designer, so she can evaluate.

Offline Beatnutz

« Reply #519 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 02:08:00 »

Well that makes perfect sense. You send the product out to your customers without signing it off first. This is why you do correction rounds BEFORE the product is considered finished. You can't blame GMK for this.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #520 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 06:31:02 »

Well that makes perfect sense. You send the product out to your customers without signing it off first. This is why you do correction rounds BEFORE the product is considered finished. You can't blame GMK for this.

This just simply isn’t how keysets get made. There are no sets made prior to the entire production run.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #521 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 06:43:33 »

This is like the time we learned that Quakemz, a keyset reviewer on Top Clack, was colorblind.

lolwut. I'm not even mad. That's amazing!

Offline Beatnutz

« Reply #522 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 07:27:06 »
This just simply isn’t how keysets get made. There are no sets made prior to the entire production run.

Who said anything about having a whole set? You can approve colours without having the whole set. Blaming GMK for this is the cheap way out. If there was an issue it should have been highlighted in the thread, but nothing was ever mentioned about it. I doubt GMK made the final set anything besides what was agreed upon.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #523 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 07:31:36 »

Who said anything about having a whole set? You can approve colours without having the whole set. Blaming GMK for this is the cheap way out. If there was an issue it should have been highlighted in the thread, but nothing was ever mentioned about it. I doubt GMK made the final set anything besides what was agreed upon.

There were colours. That's what the samples are. The approval process and what dialogue went on between Jessica and GMK and what actually made it into the final run is not public. But yes, I'm not sure what you're suggesting is any different than what has already taken place?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #524 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 08:14:54 »
Expected Delivery was Wednesday. A little disappointed in the lack of participation from the "designer" of this set after hearing from disappointed patrons.

If time in this hobby has taught me anything, take your slowly creeping to $200 GB payments for GMK and spend them on sets that have already saturated the market.

This whole "I have VISION"... based group buy model is dead for me.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #525 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 11:24:22 »
y i k e s

Offline elfick

« Reply #526 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 12:03:03 »

You should read the whole thread before you comment. If you have read the whole thread, you should go back and read it again. There was an issue and IT WAS HIGHLIGHTED IN THE THREAD. Color samples were done, signed off on. You don't think there's any chance of a manufacturing error?

Offline Beatnutz

« Reply #527 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 12:52:28 »

You should read the whole thread before you comment. If you have read the whole thread, you should go back and read it again. There was an issue and IT WAS HIGHLIGHTED IN THE THREAD. Color samples were done, signed off on. You don't think there's any chance of a manufacturing error?

I have read it, but since you can read so much better than me, please show me where and when the author says that the colors are  not according to what they decided upon. I'm not talking about samples being sent back and forth but the final one. If I was the creator I would have voiced my concerns in the thread. So far I've only seen white knights making those claims. Suddenly it's GMK's fault as if this is somehow the most advanced thing they've ever done. After Plum that is.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #528 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 13:49:15 »

I have read it, but since you can read so much better than me, please show me where and when the author says that the colors are  not according to what they decided upon. I'm not talking about samples being sent back and forth but the final one. If I was the creator I would have voiced my concerns in the thread. So far I've only seen white knights making those claims. Suddenly it's GMK's fault as if this is somehow the most advanced thing they've ever done. After Plum that is.

Well she either has her set or doesn't right now, so we won't know until she posts...

But I got my post deleted earlier, so I'll refrain from saying anything "stupid".  Basically I called out everyone defending her when it's clear that she signed off on the colors and that she's responsible, not GMK.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #529 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 14:34:29 »
Jessica has yet to receive her own set and verify that the colors were manufactured correctly.  Please pause all the wildfire speculation until she actually has her set in hand and can comment on whether the end result matches what was requested.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #530 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 14:44:51 »
Jessica has yet to receive her own set and verify that the colors were manufactured correctly.

Isn't that what the samples (3 sets, if I'm reading correctly) were supposed to be for?

Regardless of what she thinks, the sets are produced and shipping now, so even if people are unhappy with the outcome I don't see much changing.

Offline elfick

« Reply #531 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 14:59:31 »

Wow. Just wow...
Firstly, the samples are all she has seen in person as per her post on the 15th, she hasn't yet received her set. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94937.msg2680144#msg2680144 so how would she voice concerns on something she hasn't seen yet?
Secondly, it's not "white knighting" to say we don't have enough information to draw a conclusion.
Thirdly, it's not inconceivable that there was a communication or manufacturing error. And it's not about complexity, humans make mistakes.

I think it's clear that a mistake has been made, but we don't have anyway of knowing by whom. Yes, it's speculation on my part to say that maybe GMK shot the mods with the wrong color, but it's not any more speculative than any other theory. Nor is it any less probable. The reason I think it's a plausible cause is this post by freespam: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94937.msg2680858#msg2680858

For my $.02, I think the reason that the pics by Emir look so off from the renders is due to the contrast created by the alphas and the much darker than advertised mods. So I'm focusing on why the mods are so much darker than expected.

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
« Reply #532 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 15:27:35 »
Hello everyone,

I recieved my set, but got it only a bit before I had to leave for work. I have some pics of the set to share once I'm home (10:30 PST, approximately),

And just to clarify, I was intended to get my set delivered to me on the 14th. However, I checked with FedEx (even called them on Friday to get the most up to date info) and there was a storm holding up incoming deliveries at their international hub in Memphis. I posted this before but I just want to reiterate that I was meant to have my set before everyone else, international shipping just held it up. Sorry for that, but that part is entirely out of my control.

So I'll just clarify the few things I'm seeing here
1. The set was made with all the approved colours, no manufacturing mixup
2. The blue tint of the modifiers comes out really strong in pictures, but in person it's definitely more mild. It's certianly not a dark navy blue colour

In the meantime, please everyone be nice to eachother :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mtat51

« Reply #533 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 16:11:04 »
Hello everyone,

I recieved my set, but got it only a bit before I had to leave for work. I have some pics of the set to share once I'm home (10:30 PST, approximately),

And just to clarify, I was intended to get my set delivered to me on the 14th. However, I checked with FedEx (even called them on Friday to get the most up to date info) and there was a storm holding up incoming deliveries at their international hub in Memphis. I posted this before but I just want to reiterate that I was meant to have my set before everyone else, international shipping just held it up. Sorry for that, but that part is entirely out of my control.

2. The blue tint of the modifiers comes out really strong in pictures, but in person it's definitely more mild. It's certianly not a dark navy blue colour

In the meantime, please everyone be nice to eachother :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about the other green? It looks nearly glow in the dark in some of the pictures.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #534 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 16:19:19 »
Jessica has yet to receive her own set and verify that the colors were manufactured correctly.

Isn't that what the samples (3 sets, if I'm reading correctly) were supposed to be for?

Regardless of what she thinks, the sets are produced and shipping now, so even if people are unhappy with the outcome I don't see much changing.

Colors from a batch of plastic ran a considerable amount of time before the production batch was made doesn't necessarily mean that the production run turned out exactly like them or that there wasn't a mistake with the usage of the colors. In theory it should guarantee that exact color is used, but color consistency across batches can be tricky business.

In regards to the set not reaching her in time, it does seem like it would have been better for someone(not sure who in this case) to make sure she got her set before the sets were to even be shipped from GMK to the proxies, even to the point of delaying bulk shipment until hers arrived.

On another note, is it just me, or does it seem like there's a much higher incidence currently of people being vocal about colors not being matches to renders or what they expected? I'm not saying whether or not they should be saying this, and it's not just this set either, but it just seems like a year ago or so you'd see less people comparing sets directly to the renders or maybe just more overall realization that renders are "optimal" realizations of the colors of a set and should be taken as more of a guideline of the colorway rather than the dictation of what it absolutely will be. An unfortunate part of working with custom colors is that renders are the best thing you have for showing off the colors before people buy it, photos of singleshot samples are what you have after people have paid, both of these methods being reliant on people viewing them on any number of monitors with different color correction, and then they only see what it looks like IRL for the first time when everything is said and done. Again, I'm not saying you don't have a reason to complain if you think the colors are too far off from what you were sold, but at the same time it's quite difficult for anyone but the designer to say "yes, I know what these colors look like and therefore what the set will look like", and even then the nature of the sample process can mean they won't see the set colors "put together" in their final config until they have a set themselves. I think the whole process of working with custom colors is just something that I'm concerned about ever doing myself just from the feedback I've seen in some of these threads from even minor discrepancies against the renders.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #535 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 16:26:46 »
I don't understand the process of giving a render to a manufacturer and them not rectifying the differences before starting production. The Grays/Blue/Green are way off and the mods being dark instead of a light color seems to be a huge mistake on someone's part. I like it all mostly, but we may have more Calm Derps than Necro. The underlying green mossy zombie feel of the renders is actually more blue cold white walker. Still hopeful that it looks nice IRL and just photographs poorly, the same that Toxic looks very different IRL than it photographs while also looking different depending on other colors next to it.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #536 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 16:27:05 »

Those lines in addition to this previous response to me:
"I guess I'll take the blame for your mistake. You expected keys with nearly no colour and well.. you got keys that have colour. "
... Pretty much confirms that you still are really satisfied with the set and there's nothing wrong with it.

Wow...

Regarding the mods, I already clarified in the thread that they're only towards the navy color in good lighting, otherwise they're more gray/purplish like other photos of the mods (and your sample).

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #537 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 16:30:37 »
One thing i hope we get to see is if the final samples Jessica received match the final keycaps produced. I don't believe she ever posted the final samples.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #538 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 17:07:38 »

Colors from a batch of plastic ran a considerable amount of time before the production batch was made doesn't necessarily mean that the production run turned out exactly like them or that there wasn't a mistake with the usage of the colors. In theory it should guarantee that exact color is used, but color consistency across batches can be tricky business.

In regards to the set not reaching her in time, it does seem like it would have been better for someone(not sure who in this case) to make sure she got her set before the sets were to even be shipped from GMK to the proxies, even to the point of delaying bulk shipment until hers arrived.

On another note, is it just me, or does it seem like there's a much higher incidence currently of people being vocal about colors not being matches to renders or what they expected? I'm not saying whether or not they should be saying this, and it's not just this set either, but it just seems like a year ago or so you'd see less people comparing sets directly to the renders or maybe just more overall realization that renders are "optimal" realizations of the colors of a set and should be taken as more of a guideline of the colorway rather than the dictation of what it absolutely will be. An unfortunate part of working with custom colors is that renders are the best thing you have for showing off the colors before people buy it, photos of singleshot samples are what you have after people have paid, both of these methods being reliant on people viewing them on any number of monitors with different color correction, and then they only see what it looks like IRL for the first time when everything is said and done. Again, I'm not saying you don't have a reason to complain if you think the colors are too far off from what you were sold, but at the same time it's quite difficult for anyone but the designer to say "yes, I know what these colors look like and therefore what the set will look like", and even then the nature of the sample process can mean they won't see the set colors "put together" in their final config until they have a set themselves. I think the whole process of working with custom colors is just something that I'm concerned about ever doing myself just from the feedback I've seen in some of these threads from even minor discrepancies against the renders.

It probably has something to due with the steady increase in base kit prices on smaller GMK GB's.

More expensive means the perceived notion that one should be getting EXACTLY what's advertised.

personally investing $200+ USD in a set without a pantone or RAL listed seems super risky. At least if there's a pantone color listed you know what the designer is aiming for.

Even if all 4 original colors dont end up translating well to plastic samples, at least its a starting point for the designer to then get alternates and variations of the original colors to try to best represent the original render. Selling the set on a render based on RGB values, and trying to get the closest match AFTER all the money's been exchanged is so so risky...its GMK, if 250 people said "I want a refund" then boom that GB runner is in the whole like $45,000... its not a good look for people trying to run GMK sets

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #539 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 17:16:14 »
I agree. I wonder what solution we could try to figure out to help alleviate this issue in the future. I remember GMK Olivia using a pantone book to match the color perhaps that's a good idea going forward?

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #540 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 18:53:06 »
I miss the old Necro
Straight from the Go Necro
Sell out the bro Necro
I hate the new Necro
The toxic rude Necro
The Reddit news Necro
Mods with only blue necro
I miss the Render Necro
No care about the gender necro

Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #541 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 20:18:30 »
I agree. I wonder what solution we could try to figure out to help alleviate this issue in the future. I remember GMK Olivia using a pantone book to match the color perhaps that's a good idea going forward?

Can't tell if sarcastic or not??  Plenty of GB runners don't have this issue, especially twice in a row....
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #542 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 23:27:19 »
I miss the old Necro
Straight from the Go Necro
Sell out the bro Necro
I hate the new Necro
The toxic rude Necro
The Reddit news Necro
Mods with only blue necro
I miss the Render Necro
No care about the gender necro
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #543 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 23:47:11 »

I mean...I really dont think it needs to be said....especially for those who've run keysets before...

1. pick your sets palette
2. choose pantones that are replicatable in plastic
3. dont just use HEX codes until the GB's conclusion and assume the vendor can color match plastic chips to a computer screens rgb numbers
4. list your pantones/color chips so people know what to expect
5. list the pantones/color chips you change to along the way in the event your originally chosen pantones/color chips don't match your renders, or you've found a pantone/chip that BETTER reflects the palette AND renders of the set
6. take pictures of your samples in daylight, low-light, indoor lighting...avoid fluorescent settings, try to take pictures of the samples in locations where they'd be seen the MOST...like your desk/office etc....if you need a professional light studio with a professional camera to capture the perfect lighting conditions that makes the set match the render then you're probably going to get a ****ton of flack
7. geniuinely sound like you are trying your hardest to match the original render, dont spend your time gaslighting the dissenting opinions
8. dont replace "your artistic interpretation" of the set with "the literal render representation of the set" AFTER the groupbuys conclusion... people bought what was advertised, not for your artistic integrity...

Offline Acereconkeys

« Reply #544 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 23:49:28 »

Can't tell if sarcastic or not??  Plenty of GB runners don't have this issue, especially twice in a row....

Not sarcasm. There aren't nearly as many sets with multiple new colors are there? I'm also more interested in discussing solutions/plans moving forward not continuing to bash a set that everyone's already said there piece on.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #545 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 23:51:07 »

I mean...I really dont think it needs to be said....especially for those who've run keysets before...

3. dont just use HEX codes until the GB's conclusion and assume the vendor can color match plastic chips to a computer screens rgb numbers
5. list the pantones/color chips you change to along the way in the event your originally chosen pantones/color chips don't match your renders, or you've found a pantone/chip that BETTER reflects the palette AND renders of the set
6. take pictures of your samples in daylight, low-light, indoor lighting...avoid fluorescent settings, try to take pictures of the samples in locations where they'd be seen the MOST...like your desk/office etc....if you need a professional light studio with a professional camera to capture the perfect lighting conditions that makes the set match the render then you're probably going to get a ****ton of flack
7. geniuinely sound like you are trying your hardest to match the original render, dont spend your time gaslighting the dissenting opinions
8. dont replace "your artistic interpretation" of the set with "the literal render representation of the set" AFTER the groupbuys conclusion... people bought what was advertised, not for your artistic integrity...

Also, RAL chips would be more desirable to match to over Pantone, and you can most likely use the RGB/CMYK/Hex associated with them for the renders.

Offline mopaska

« Reply #546 on: Mon, 19 November 2018, 23:59:34 »

On another note, is it just me, or does it seem like there's a much higher incidence currently of people being vocal about colors not being matches to renders or what they expected? I'm not saying whether or not they should be saying this, and it's not just this set either, but it just seems like a year ago or so you'd see less people comparing sets directly to the renders or maybe just more overall realization that renders are "optimal" realizations of the colors of a set and should be taken as more of a guideline of the colorway rather than the dictation of what it absolutely will be. An unfortunate part of working with custom colors is that renders are the best thing you have for showing off the colors before people buy it, photos of singleshot samples are what you have after people have paid, both of these methods being reliant on people viewing them on any number of monitors with different color correction, and then they only see what it looks like IRL for the first time when everything is said and done.

I think GMK Laser happened and it delivered a set that matched the renders.
Also I think some members of the community joined the groupbuy to give the runner a second a chance after GMK Plum turned out over-saturated.

Offline mopaska

« Reply #547 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 00:00:49 »

Also, RAL chips would be more desirable to match to over Pantone, and you can most likely use the RGB/CMYK/Hex associated with them for the renders.
This is a good point. Or actual lego bricks, lol. Didn't Zambumon do that with Serika to match the yellow (and it worked out because lego bricks are ABS plastic as well)?

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #548 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 00:14:13 »

Exactly, pantone lists all their rgb and gex values, same with RAL chips,

Im pretty sure theres a few sites that find your rgb/hex values and basically list every single clise approximate to it in both RAL and pantone.

Cant just go off picking a color off a refernece image, gotta do the real life physical color search before you settle on the e-colors.

Offline Beatnutz

« Reply #549 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 00:22:51 »
I remember GMK Olivia using a pantone book to match the color perhaps that's a good idea going forward?

Well duh.... That is how you pick a color.