Author Topic: A more comfortable way to use CST L-trac... also L/R combo  (Read 4942 times)

Offline glitchathon

A more comfortable way to use CST L-trac... also L/R combo
« on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 01:38:50 »
Hi all,

First post here. I have been lurking for a month now and have learned a lot! Thanks to this forum, I have been turned on to the Kinesis Advantage, Colemak layout, and the CST L-trac. I have also recently purchased a DXT mouse from Kinesis and love it.

In regards to the CST trackball, I was immediately disappointed in the hand position. I felt the wrist position was begging for carpal tunnel. I then got a wrist pad and positioned it as such (please see photo).

It is now super comfortable and even the scrollwheel is very nice to use! The wrist pad stays on without any need for tape.

I did want to ask. How do you all handle having a left AND right mouse and keep different mouse settings? Win7 allows a single mouse setting that applies to both mice. Even the CST software did not help. Changing the buttons on the CST software changed my DXT mouse. The main thing i want to do is swap left and right buttons on the CST trackball. Thanks for any suggestions!

Offline limmy

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 02:01:01 »
Nice setup you have there!

As for the mouse button configuration, you could use a mouse that stores settings on mouse itself. I know that following mice are capable of customizing on mouse by mouse level:
Logitech G700/G500/G300/G9/G9x, Razer Mamba/Copperhead/Habu.
(There are probably more mice that has this feature.)

I have set the right button of my G700 and Mamba as control key and it works flawlessly without any software installed. The mice above requires software only when you configure the settings. Once it is set, you do not have to have software installed to use your configuration.

What you could do to achieve what you want: (simplest solution in my opinion)
You can get one of the above mouse. Swap L/R buttons on that mouse.
Swap L/R buttons on the OS level.

Possible alternative solution:
You could use Glovepie. If I remember correctly, the software is capable of separately configuring USB input devices. But you would have to learn to use it. It is not so easy, some understanding of programming is required in my opinion.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 February 2012, 02:03:43 by limmy »

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 February 2012, 10:33:29 »
Hi limmy, thanks for the response!
Your post confirms that i may just have to learn to use the CST as-is left handed which is not too bad. Due to ulnar nerve problems, i need a vertical mouse. The Evoluent was uncomfortable for me, but the DXT is fantastic. The other mice you mentioned look great but my needs are too specific unfortunately. I may look into glovepie though. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 February 2012, 12:13:17 »
Quote from: ripster;517105
I recommend a keyboard tray for the CST L-trac.

And for keyboard users in general.

That, not ergo keyboards, is the best prevention for carpal tunnel.

Hi, I agree. I had a keyboard tray but now I have the table set real low and my arm position is such that it is sloped downward slightly. The Kinesis has a built-in negative tilt and the wrist rest on the CST trackball provides a similar negative tilt. I found this more stable than my previous keyboard tray and the lower desk puts it at the same position with far less bulk above the knees.

Offline dippingriz

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 14:18:08 »
Quote from: limmy;515912
Nice setup you have there!

As for the mouse button configuration, you could use a mouse that stores settings on mouse itself. I know that following mice are capable of customizing on mouse by mouse level:
Logitech G700/G500/G300/G9/G9x, Razer Mamba/Copperhead/Habu.
(There are probably more mice that has this feature.)

I have set the right button of my G700 and Mamba as control key and it works flawlessly without any software installed. The mice above requires software only when you configure the settings. Once it is set, you do not have to have software installed to use your configuration.

What you could do to achieve what you want: (simplest solution in my opinion)
You can get one of the above mouse. Swap L/R buttons on that mouse.
Swap L/R buttons on the OS level.

EDIT: NM got it.  Just got the update with the trackball  EDIT

Possible alternative solution:
You could use Glovepie. If I remember correctly, the software is capable of separately configuring USB input devices. But you would have to learn to use it. It is not so easy, some understanding of programming is required in my opinion.

I have a G9x and I'm having the same issue with switching the buttons on a new logitech trackman.  The setpoint software is a royal pain to get running on my pc.  But, you are saying you can send commands to the mouse that will execute through the setpoint software or they are stored in the mouse?

EDITED: NM
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 February 2012, 15:20:33 by dippingriz »

Offline silat

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 17:03:30 »
Where did you get that wrist pad?
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline glitchathon

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 01:56:27 »
It is an innovera wrist pad i bought on amazon. That yoga video is mesmerizing.