Author Topic: I'm new...  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Ragnar

I'm new...
« on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 20:20:44 »
Hi everyone, I am looking for a new keyboard and I have narrowed it down to either the Quickfire Rapid or the KBT Pure.  I am leaning towards brown or red switches. I couldn't stand my Logitech g11 anymore.

I want the keyboard to be small because I don't have that much space on my desk. I will mainly be using it for programming and using it in conjugation with a Wacom tablet, and some gaming. I game maybe 4 nights a week for 2-4 hours.

Is there a reason to get one over the other besides the over branding on the Quickfire? Is the build quality better on the quickfire, I hear it is made by the same company as Filco. Is the Pure plate mounted or PCB mounted? Is the Pure any good for gaming?

Thanks in advance and sorry if these are stupid questions.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: I'm new...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 23:14:54 »
Welcome to Geekhack and you can't really go wrong with either one.  Having own both, personally I prefer smaller form factor which is the Pure. =P
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
I'm new...
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 23:22:13 »
I love how reaper is the official GH greeter! Wish I could keep up and welcome all these noobs/lurkers

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 23:29:43 »
Someone gotta do it.  I don't want our new members to feel unwelcome. =P
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 23:49:32 »
Welcome Ragnar! I've never used a Pure but the QF Rapid is a solid board.

And definitely an important role you got there reaper.
I love Elzy

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 23:55:54 »
Thanks everyone!

I do like the idea of having the smaller form factor. Are the keys of the Pure more squished together than on a normal keyboard? As far as how far apart they are? How is the build quality of the Pure? I have heard people say that the build quality of the poker is not very good, is the same true for the Pure?

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 15:29:46 »
I just ordered the Quickfire Rapid with brown switches from Newegg. Any recommendations on replacement keycaps? I like the engraved look and I hear PBT caps are the best.

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 15:43:57 »
Welcome, and congrats on your new mech keyboard!  Engraved PBTs are nice, but as far as I'm aware they are only available in Filco/OEM profile.  I'm a much bigger fan of Cherry profile caps; since they are a couple of mm shorter the caps have less friction-inducing side-to-side play and IMO feel much better to type on than the taller caps.  Double-shot cherry caps also have some of the nicest legends available, and are quite thick. 

If you decide to stick around GH aka wallethack, you'll probably end up with more keyboards and more keycap sets, so don't be scared to try both PBTs and cherries to find what better suits your preferences! :)

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 16:57:44 »
Thanks Chris. I am looking at these PBT caps: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330753334171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1413 They say Cherry caps, so does that mean that they are cherry profile or just compatible with cherry switch boards?

Where can I get double shot Cherry caps? I have looked for double shots, but have been unable to find much.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 17:01:22 »
Thanks Chris. I am looking at these PBT caps: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330753334171?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1413 They say Cherry caps, so does that mean that they are cherry profile or just compatible with cherry switch boards?

Where can I get double shot Cherry caps? I have looked for double shots, but have been unable to find much.

Double Shots will always be ABS not PBT.  And most Double shots you will find are old authentic Cherry keys or Signature Plastic (SP) keys that are a bit thinner and cheaper feeling.

Its not too late to get a pre-order in for Red Alert! http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=31887.0

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 17:15:30 »
It says I can't view the page :( I need more posts I think.