geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Logitech G13 Mechanical Conversion [WIP]

(1/4) > >>

GrumpyTanker:
I decided to have a crack at converting my beloved G13 gamepad from rubber dome to mechanical.

The internal components break down into (from top to bottom, left to right):
PCB with LCD, 2 Rubber Dome Sheets
Grounding Backplane, Backlight LED diffuser
Key Contact FlexPCB

There is also a plate which holds the keycaps, which I will modify to hold the Cherry switches:

Here is the top cover of the case with the keys to show the ergonomic profile:

Here are the keycaps and their profiles:

I then Dremel'd down the keycap channels and started making holes for the Cherry switches:

It takes a while, but I get fairly good results by Dremel'ing a rough hole, then using an Exacto knife and calipers to get the final size fairly close to 14mm x 14mm.

Here are the first two rows of Cherry switches mounted in:

The result when the mounting plate is mated up with the top cover:

I also took a look at the PCB and Key Matrix to figure out what I need to wire.

Here is the PCB:

And the Key Matrix FlexPCB:

This is the Key Matrix Schematic:

I do have a few questions that you guys might be able to help me with:

1: How to I secure the Cherry switches to the mounting plate?
The 14mm holes I made are not perfect, and the locking clips at top and bottom of the Cherry switches have nothing to hold on to. I tried superglue, and that turned out to be a horrible idea. Somehow, the glue didn't stick the switches to the frame, but instead managed to travel (by capillary action or magic) from under the switch, into the seam between top and bottom, up into the switch interior, and onto the metal switch contacts. For most of them, it did not glue the switch closed, but instead coated the metal parts so that the switch stem/plunger had massive friction against the metal portions. i.e. the stem/plunger would go down, and not come back up because of the friction against the metal contact. I have heard hot glue might work, but I was wondering if anyone had other ideas.

2. Anyone have any idea on how I can get the same ergonomic profile on the resulting keycaps?
I bought a set of translucent keycaps from Signature Plastics that I intend to butcher in order to harvest the stems to attach to the keycaps that came with the G13. Any ideas on how to attach or mount them to the G13 keycaps to maintain that ergonomic profile?

3. wtf is going on with the Key Matrix?
It seems to have no rhyme nor reason. Bit hard to follow the PCB traces, but it would seem that all the keys have a dedicated pin on the controller IC. I plan on just following the schematic and wiring the switches back up to their original pins, but I'm still curious as to wtf is going on with them.

I went and ordered some more switches to replace the ones I ruined, so I'll update this when I get back to finishing this project up.

Thanks,
GrumpyTanker

CarVac:
Regarding adhesives: you're making plastic-to-plastic bonds so this is what you want: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/index.pl/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm

It's epoxy, so make sure to use gloves and do this in a well-ventilated area. Mix thoroughly, and apply using probably Q-tips.

RabRhee:
Looks really excellent so far, I may have to source a spare G13 and give it a go myself. I like the G13 over the other options so very interested in progress.

domoaligato:

--- Quote from: CarVac on Tue, 10 September 2013, 16:34:00 ---Regarding adhesives: you're making plastic-to-plastic bonds so this is what you want: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/index.pl/epxy_plstc_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Plastic-Bonder.htm

It's epoxy, so make sure to use gloves and do this in a well-ventilated area. Mix thoroughly, and apply using probably Q-tips.

--- End quote ---

I am not sure if locktite eats latex gloves or not but I always try to wear nitrile gloves when I work with plastics or epoxys do to this fear.

AndyCapets:
Looking really good, can't wait to see the final product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version