Author Topic: Unicomp does not work in the cold  (Read 2613 times)

Offline ime1729

Unicomp does not work in the cold
« on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:16:01 »
I figured out the source of my keys not working problem -- it has been getting cold in the winter, and the keyboard simply does not work until it's warmed up by a light I have on the top of my desk. I also always have a window open, in order to keep the air fresh in my room.

Does anyone else have similar problems? I have a backup Logitech K360 that consistently works in the cold.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Unicomp does not work in the cold
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:32:00 »
That's really interesting. I've been thinking of getting a black on black ultra classic, but I too often leave my office window open, and winter in Denver gets cooold

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 12:43:02 »
IF the whole keyboard is not working, it must be somewhere in the controller / link between controller and computer. I guess all you can do is open it up and look for anything that may have broken

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:19:19 »
Crazy thought but maybe somewhere there is a bad solder joint and when it is cold it shrinks enough to loose contact causing your issues.  I won't pretend to be an expert but this seems like a logical deduction.  If not at least it rules something out. 

Good luck.

Edit, if its relatively new and under warranty, might be worth reaching out to Unicomp.  Even if it's not, Unicomp may have seen this before and can point you in the right direction.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 14:20:10 »
How cold is cold? How warm is warm? Any recorded values in your room?
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:56:02 »
Had this issue with a space bar on my Unicomp.  Left it in my apartment (that has no heat) in the winter...space bar stopped working.  Thought it was broken, took it home to fix, and it was working again.  Did a few tests and yup...fails when it gets below 33 degrees Fahrenheit

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:57:29 »
My ssk has issues with the cold as well.
No idea what it is though and I would like for a professional like Dorkvader to give us some insight.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:58:23 »
This reminds me of when I had to start a powermac  while blasting the PCB with heat in order for it to boot.  :))

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 15:59:35 »
When I read the title, I thought the company unicomp does not work when its cold.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 16:00:46 »
When I read the title, I thought the company unicomp does not work when its cold.

Ha. They don't work ever. Just look at the progress they have made with products.
#shotsfired
JK I bet they're great guys and all, just wish they would release more stuff.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:29:59 »

Ha. They don't work ever. Just look at the progress they have made with products.
#shotsfired
JK I bet they're great guys and all, just wish they would release more stuff.
If only we could get enough people interested in a unicomp SSK. It'd help if they stopped with the stupid layouts :))
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 18:08:13 »
Hmmmmmm.  Maybe I will have to stick my Unicomp in the freezer for testing...
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 21:47:49 »
I don't even. Why would you leave your window open in the winter? Doing that where I live would literally be suicidal. The only way that wouldn't kill you would be if you paid a king's fortune in energy bills and cuddled up in a pile of blankets all day. I am not exaggerating.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline aceps00

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 10:19:41 »
I came into this thread thinking that OP was trying to use his keyboard outside during winter.  :))
Type Heaven / IBM Model M

Offline mougrim

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 10:34:53 »
I came into this thread thinking that OP was trying to use his keyboard outside during winter.  :))

...In blizzard :)
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 22:50:16 »

Yeah as a fellow Canucks and you and I knows what Winter means.

I own several Unicomps and I think the issue is specific to your unit, not to the brand.

I don't heat my computer room to keep out my sneaky girl friend. She is like your Unicomp. She doesn't handle cold very well... But never had any temperature related problems with my Unicomps.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline kzin

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 15:51:22 »
Old post
No answers here. Suggestions.
I have the same problem. Oh Canada.

I have opened a support ticket with Unicomp, lets see what they say.