Author Topic: Happy Hacking Professional Bluetooth  (Read 107908 times)

Offline losing_ctrl

Re: Happy Hacking Professional Bluetooth
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 08 May 2016, 20:38:26 »
They seem to have one version of the HHKB BT in stock:
http://www.smartimports.net/pfu-happy-hacking-keyboard-professional-bt-bluetooth/
Just tried that, they sell keyboard that costs about $277 (29700 JPY) for $319.00 WITHOUT shipping, shipping to US will cost either Airmail (Uninsured - 7 to 10 days) $18.50 or Insured EMS Express $26.00. So insured delivery would cost $345.00, almost +$70. I say f*** them.

That does sound pretty costly, but I don't know what to compare the $345 to. What is the alternative to get this to a US address to compare it to?

Offline joric

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 01:24:08 »
That does sound pretty costly, but I don't know what to compare the $345 to. What is the alternative to get this to a US address to compare it to?
Shipping price looks pretty much the same but http://zenmarket.jp charges just $2.78 (300 JPY) for handling, while SmartImports charges about $42. The cheapest would be 31590 JPY: 29700 JPY for the keyboard on Amazon, 300 JPY zenmarket fee, 1590 JPY for shipping (1100g, SAL, Small Packet, 18 days to US) - $293 overall (just $17 for all the shipping and handling). Insured EMS (7 days) will cost $10 more.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 03:27:59 by joric »

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #202 on: Mon, 09 May 2016, 07:16:06 »
Shipping price looks pretty much the same but http://zenmarket.jp charges just $2.78 (300 JPY) for handling, while SmartImports charges about $42. The cheapest would be 31590 JPY: 29700 JPY for the keyboard on Amazon, 300 JPY zenmarket fee, 1590 JPY for shipping (1100g, SAL, Small Packet, 18 days to US) - $293 overall (just $17 for all the shipping and handling). Insured EMS (7 days) will cost $10 more.

Cool, thanks for this info, very helpful. I am definitely saving up up to get one one and I'm sort of a noob when it comes to shopping this way.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 May 2016, 07:23:00 by losing_ctrl »

Offline joric

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 17:36:53 »
From the deskthority thread: BT HHKB vs classic HHKB  ;D

Offline gohono3

« Reply #204 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 17:52:26 »
From the deskthority thread: BT HHKB vs classic HHKB  ;D

Show Image

Get that photo of Kim Kardashian shooting champagne over her head onto her booty, thats the BT HHKB, it has a complicated juicy nature

Offline joric

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 12:26:55 »
Almost forgot. Media keys (fn + a/s/d/f) now work! They didn't work on Windows with Pro 2. But there's no autorepeat, so you have to press it like 20 times to turn volume up or down. This is not even funny.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 13:09:34 »
Waiting for reviews but if the board turns out well made the bump does not really bother me for use as a travel board.  I'm an avid user of tablets over laptops and i would love one of these for use with my iPad since the Hasu mod has such short battery life.

Is lightning to female usb ---> male usb to male micro usb an option with an Ipad?

I know I can do it with my android devices and KBs.

I know the cable is out there for lightning to usb, but don't know if Ipad is capable or not.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #207 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 19:52:10 »
Waiting for reviews but if the board turns out well made the bump does not really bother me for use as a travel board.  I'm an avid user of tablets over laptops and i would love one of these for use with my iPad since the Hasu mod has such short battery life.

Is lightning to female usb ---> male usb to male micro usb an option with an Ipad?

I know the cable is out there for lightning to usb, but don't know if Ipad is capable or not.

If I am understanding your question, the answer is yes. I use the following adaptor to use my HHKB, RealForce, IBM Model M, Avant Stellar, and Unicomp keyboard with my iPad, no problem:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=91

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 06:18:51 »
Good lord, the alt. controller for this keyboard is already up on skiwithpete's website :eek:

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 06:48:33 »
Good lord, the alt. controller for this keyboard is already up on skiwithpete's website :eek:

No, it isn't.

This controller, created by Hasu, is a replacement controller that turns your HHKB Pro2 mechanical keyboard into a fully Bluetooth programmable keyboard.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 07:03:02 »

No, it isn't.

This controller, created by Hasu, is a replacement controller that turns your HHKB Pro2 mechanical keyboard into a fully Bluetooth programmable keyboard.

Sorry about that, I hope I didn't offend anyone :-[

I was peaking at the non-bluetooth controller to see if it has the two extra usb connections (it does not) and only glanced at the controller with bluetooth support.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 07:05:25 by csmertx »

Offline joric

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 07:43:07 »
Made another, somewhat more understandable picture:

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:50:16 by joric »

Offline sonano

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 10:58:40 »
Anyone had issues with bluetooth connectivity on this board?

Mine was working fine for 2 weeks, then started being unresponsive when trying to reconnect to an already paired device. Tried deleting the pairings from the devices and on the HHKB using Fn+Z+Del. But none of my devices can detect the HHKB BT anymore even in Fn+Q pairing mode.

I did disassemble the keyboard a few times, but I checked all the internal connections and they should be fine. Any ideas?

Offline joric

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 13:08:12 »
Whoa. Mine's still working. There are problems with already connected devices though (like randomly disconnecting BT headphones), and sometimes BT devices won't connect unless I turn HHKB BT off. Also it occasionally freezes for a few seconds and reconnects (same with Filco Conv2, it can repeat the last entered key like 100 times, luckily it didn't happen with the del key yet - I guess it's their BCM20730 chip in general). Tried 7260HMW and BCM94352HMB on the laptop - the problem still persists. Hasu controller doesn't have those issues.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 May 2016, 15:15:47 by joric »

Offline raymogi

« Reply #214 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 04:36:14 »
Anyone knows if the BT will switch off by itself when inactive or do we have to keep turning it off ourself?
Please feed my addiction.

Offline sonano

« Reply #215 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 05:00:43 »
Anyone knows if the BT will switch off by itself when inactive or do we have to keep turning it off ourself?

It will switch off by itself after 30 minutes of inactivity if DIP switch 6 is off (Wake Up Disable). Otherwise with DIP switch 6 on (Wake Up Enable) it will stay awake until you turn it off manually.

Offline joric

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 05:02:40 »
I use it for a few weeks. It completely switches off after 30 minutes if you set DIP switch to Wake Up Enable: OFF so you have to wake it up with a button. It also switches off with that switch setting when the host shuts down even for a few seconds (i.e. after reboot you'd have to press the button again). If you set Wake Up Enable: ON then it will never switch off (i.e. I left it for the night and it woke up after the first keystroke). Power consumption when wake up is off is much smaller comparing with when the wake up is on.

It's all there http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/bt/feature.html sorry for google translate:

Note : In the case of Wake Up Disable, when the key input was not 30 minutes, you will automatically OFF mode. In the case of Wake Up Enable, does not become automatically OFF mode be followed there is no key input state. Battery consumption is faster compared to the Wake Up Disable. If you are powered by USB micro-B cable is the Wake Up Enable regardless of this setting. To reconnect to the case which has been cut from the connected device, please press the key or the power switch.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 05:16:46 »
I use it for a few weeks. It completely switches off after 30 minutes if you set DIP switch to Wake Up Enable: OFF so you have to wake it up with a button. It also switches off with that switch setting when the host shuts down even for a few seconds (i.e. after reboot you'd have to press the button again). If you set Wake Up Enable: ON then it will never switch off (i.e. I left it for the night and it woke up after the first keystroke). Power consumption when wake up is off is much smaller comparing with when the wake up is on.

It's all there http://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/hhkeyboard/bt/feature.html sorry for google translate:

Note : In the case of Wake Up Disable, when the key input was not 30 minutes, you will automatically OFF mode. In the case of Wake Up Enable, does not become automatically OFF mode be followed there is no key input state. Battery consumption is faster compared to the Wake Up Disable. If you are powered by USB micro-B cable is the Wake Up Enable regardless of this setting. To reconnect to the case which has been cut from the connected device, please press the key or the power switch.

Nice thanks for the answer!

Offline mteinum

« Reply #218 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 03:24:43 »
Another one :)

HHKB BT by Morten Teinum, on Flickr

The extra rubber feets are great when positioned on top of the macbook.

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #219 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 19:07:58 »
Those are some great pictures, mteinum! Very classy.

Offline raymogi

Happy Hacking Professional Bluetooth
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 03:11:38 »
My BT is suddenly not turning on. I don't think it's the battery since I haven't used it much. Gonna try new battery soon.

Feeling scared here...

edit: put on some new batteries and the BT still won't turn on. All I did prior to this was switching dip 2 to ON for the Mac mode. I was able to pair it my iPad Pro before that (dip 3 on from the start). Can't test with micro usb cable cause I only have my iPad here and Imdidn't bring the Apple connector thingy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2016, 04:19:29 by raymogi »

Offline skeaono

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 03:05:10 »
Anyone else experienced massive battery drain? My eneloops only last about a week with SW6 set to off.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #222 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 03:54:12 »
Hmm, I thought it is supposed to last 30 days!

Offline joric

« Reply #223 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 07:01:00 »
Lol, eneloops. Ni-Mh have tremendous self-discharge they probably will be dead in a week just lying on the table. Use alcaline batteries, dude. They don't self-discharge and have a combined capacity much larger than even a Li-Po battery.

Offline skeaono

« Reply #224 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 08:08:05 »
Lol, eneloops. Ni-Mh have tremendous self-discharge they probably will be dead in a week just lying on the table. Use alcaline batteries, dude. They don't self-discharge and have a combined capacity much larger than even a Li-Po battery.
I'm not sure if you are being serious.

Offline skeaono

« Reply #225 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 10:55:58 »
Hmm, I thought it is supposed to last 30 days!
3 months with alkalines, according to PFU, not sure about Ni-mh though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2016, 11:20:19 by skeaono »

Offline joric

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 12:15:46 »

I am dead serious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-discharge ...  Li-ion absorb the least amount of self-discharge (around 2% to 3% discharge per month) than lead-acid at 4% to 6%, while nickel-based batteries are more seriously affected by the phenomenon (NiCad, 15% to 20%; NiMH, 30%). Primary batteries, which aren't designed for recharging between manufacturing and use, have much lower self-discharge rates, with shelf lives of 2 to 3 years for zinc–carbon batteries, 5 years for alkaline

You're trying to use high-current high self-discharge Ni-Mh accumulators in a device that needs super-small current and low self-discharge batteries, such as alkaline.

Speaking about capacity, AA batteries have a capacity over 2,500 mAh that effectively makes 2xAA a replacement for 2500 mAh 3V Li-Po battery, while Ni-Mh have real measured capacities in a range of 1200 to 1900 mAh.

Use those eneloopes for the camera, for the keyboard you should use good alcalines like Duracell Turbo Max. My Filco with the same chip (BCM27030) lives on those for more than an year (with 6 months official battery life). I assume HHKB BT, declared 3 months, would work for 6+ months on turbomax alcalines. I personally use it since it came out, for more than a month already.

There are even better, Lithium AA like GP Lithium but they're pretty pricey.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 May 2016, 20:01:53 by joric »

Offline skeaono

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 21:24:27 »

I am dead serious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-discharge ...  Li-ion absorb the least amount of self-discharge (around 2% to 3% discharge per month) than lead-acid at 4% to 6%, while nickel-based batteries are more seriously affected by the phenomenon (NiCad, 15% to 20%; NiMH, 30%). Primary batteries, which aren't designed for recharging between manufacturing and use, have much lower self-discharge rates, with shelf lives of 2 to 3 years for zinc–carbon batteries, 5 years for alkaline

You're trying to use high-current high self-discharge Ni-Mh accumulators in a device that needs super-small current and low self-discharge batteries, such as alkaline.

Speaking about capacity, AA batteries have a capacity over 2,500 mAh that effectively makes 2xAA a replacement for 2500 mAh 3V Li-Po battery, while Ni-Mh have real measured capacities in a range of 1200 to 1900 mAh.

Use those eneloopes for the camera, for the keyboard you should use good alcalines like Duracell Turbo Max. My Filco with the same chip (BCM27030) lives on those for more than an year (with 6 months official battery life). I assume HHKB BT, declared 3 months, would work for 6+ months on turbomax alcalines. I personally use it since it came out, for more than a month already.

There are even better, Lithium AA like GP Lithium but they're pretty pricey.
Are you even talking about Eneloop?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 15:16:40 »

This smells like BS to me. I use eneloops exclusively and they're definitely not "dead in a week just lying on the table". I store them charged and they work when I pick them up. I get at least a month's use out of a pair in my wireless trackpad, and have some that have seen daily use in remotes for a year. And when they run out, I swap them out with a charged pair. And even if your claim of alkaline batteries having more capacity was true, it's kind of a jerk move to toss disposables habitually into landfill just because you find them slightly more convenient. Oh no! I had to pull the batteries out of my bluetooth keyboard a little earlier than I'd like! Maybe I'll just buy disposable batteries instead that will sit in a landfill forever.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2016, 15:20:21 by dchadwick »

Offline joric

« Reply #229 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 04:00:51 »
Well, let's find out if they really die in a week.

Upd: Long story short: they didn't.
Upd: They've died after about a month. Really weird, I barely used the keyboard it just laid there, totally switched off. Self-discharge, I guess. Still Ni-Mh.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 July 2016, 17:36:17 by joric »

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 06:29:45 »
Anecdotally, Eneloops power my Xbox One controllers for months between charges...

Offline Belfong

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 21:36:57 »
Eneloop batteries aside, any other impressions after using for a month or more? Would you recommend this to your friends?

Offline joric

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 23:04:50 »
Eneloop batteries aside, any other impressions after using for a month or more? Would you recommend this to your friends?
I don't know what's wrong with BCM20730 or with my computer but all my keyboards with this 3.0 bluetooth chip (e.g. Filco Majestouch Convertible 2) prone to stuttering, disconnecting and reconnecting like every 1000 chars (very often the keyup event is not fired so the last keypress repeats like 20-50 times, very nasty, especially if it disconnects on Del). I bought 5 or 6 different Wifi/Bluetooth combo cards but it's all the same. So yeah, for occasional typing it's fine, but professionally those keyboards are pretty much unusable. Other than that, it's a regular HHKB Pro 2. With a hump.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 23:27:58 »
waiting for the white to come out  :-*
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline Belfong

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 23:28:36 »
did you have a chance to try it in a Mac or iPad? I hope their Bluetooth is better implemented than those Bluetooth cards or dongle you are referring to.

Offline joric

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 23:52:00 »
did you have a chance to try it in a Mac or iPad? I hope their Bluetooth is better implemented than those Bluetooth cards or dongle you are referring to.
Nope. Maybe I will upgrade later (I'm still using 3 y/o Asus laptop with an SSD drive). Got Filco roughly 1.5 years ago and the problem persisted on Win7/Win8/Win10. Cards were BCM94352HMB, RTL8821AE, 7260HMW and a bunch of older (802.11n + BT 4.0) ones. Power management switched off. Hasu controller doesn't have this issue.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 00:19:09 »

I tried it on Mac and it works really good. Then I tried it on my iPad Pro. Connects fine the first time then it broke. Can't even turn it on anymore. Replace batteries and even tried to connect with USB and nothing works.

Maybe it's just a faulty one that I received. I'm getting a new one already.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #237 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 01:11:36 »
hmmm probably a lemon, Ray... But still a scary thoughts that something so expensive didn’t have stringent QA.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #238 on: Sat, 04 June 2016, 01:54:16 »
Yea what makes me sad is I only had it for 1 week and I've developed a true feeling for it lol.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #239 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 05:36:44 »

I tried it on Mac and it works really good. Then I tried it on my iPad Pro. Connects fine the first time then it broke. Can't even turn it on anymore. Replace batteries and even tried to connect with USB and nothing works.

Maybe it's just a faulty one that I received. I'm getting a new one already.

That is terrifying :( Sorry that happened to you raymogi :'( Keen to get one but can't risk ordering and then having to send it back across the world.... As you say I expect better QA on a product like this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 June 2016, 05:38:25 by atlas3686 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 21:18:51 »
That really blows. I would like to think that PFU checks the stock before shipping it out. :(

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #241 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 18:41:55 »
Anybody know if Elite Keyboards is planning to stock these?

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 21:53:31 »

I would like to know as well or if I should just go with Hasu's BT Controller

Offline joric

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 03:23:13 »

Actually it would cost much cheaper if you buy it directly from amazon.jp via shipping service like tenso.
Amazon.jp link to HHKB BT: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01DVH7C0O/ it costs 29700 JPY (~$285)
Someone already stockpiles them in US and sells them for $319 (+$34 to the price), not considering shipping.
http://www.smartimports.net/pfu-happy-hacking-keyboard-professional-bt-bluetooth/

TL;DR:

HHKB BT originally costs 29700 JPY ($285)

http://zenmarket.jp charges just $18 for all the shipping and handling (1100g), $303 overall. I bought there.
Smartimports sells for $319.00 WITHOUT shipping + $26.00 for EMS, $345.00 overall, you're overpaying $42.

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2016, 03:36:40 by joric »

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 12:12:11 »

Actually it would cost much cheaper if you buy it directly from amazon.jp via shipping service like tenso.
Amazon.jp link to HHKB BT: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01DVH7C0O/ it costs 29700 JPY (~$285)
Someone already stockpiles them in US and sells them for $319 (+$34 to the price), not considering shipping.

TL;DR:

HHKB BT originally costs 29700 JPY ($285)

http://zenmarket.jp charges just $18 for all the shipping and handling (1100g), $303 overall. I bought there.
Smartimports sells for $319.00 WITHOUT shipping + $26.00 for EMS, $345.00 overall, you're overpaying $42.

Hey thanks! This was super informative and I've been trying to figure out a way to get it :)

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #245 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 08:42:09 »
Not that it matters, but smartimports.net is just some guys living in Japan selling Japanese stuff to people who appreciate it - their stuff ships from Japan. I've bought some stuff through them and they were very responsive and overall competent sellers. That being said, if I was ready to get an HHKB bt I'd probably go the zenimiports route since the price difference is significant.

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 10:06:25 »

True, but given that someone here got one DOA, I'd be happy to have a place to return it to that isn't in Japan :)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 03:47:34 »

If I am understanding your question, the answer is yes. I use the following adaptor to use my HHKB, RealForce, IBM Model M, Avant Stellar, and Unicomp keyboard with my iPad, no problem:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter?fnode=91
So I'm interested in the Adaptor to connect the iPad to my keyboards. I read that HHKB Pro 2 does work probably because it kinda requires a lot of power due to the two USB plug, the power requirement is beyond what the iPad can provide. So, I'm curious how you got the HHKB Pro 2 to work. Did you use a powered USB hub?

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #248 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 07:51:55 »

So I'm interested in the Adaptor to connect the iPad to my keyboards. I read that HHKB Pro 2 does work probably because it kinda requires a lot of power due to the two USB plug, the power requirement is beyond what the iPad can provide. So, I'm curious how you got the HHKB Pro 2 to work. Did you use a powered USB hub?

I should have been more specific - I have a HHKB Pro JP, which is the JIS layout, and does not include the USB hub of the HHKB Pro 2's ANSI model. However I would think that the newer Apple adapter would work with it, as it can provide more power:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91

Offline Belfong

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 08:31:34 »
However I would think that the newer Apple adapter would work with it, as it can provide more power:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=91
Thank you, in my research I also stumbled upon this new adapter, in which, I could power it (and powering the iPad as well at the same time). So perhaps it will work with a HHKB!