Author Topic: KeyCon 2018!! --> Details Posted  (Read 111537 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
KeyCon 2018!! --> Details Posted
« on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:28:24 »
The Details
120 S Whitfield St, Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Date: June 30, 2018
Time: 12:00-6:00pm

Please RSVP to the event using the form if you haven't done so.

More
Another year, another KeyCon.  ;D  This thread will act as the central planning location for the upcoming KeyCon.

First step: Pick a location and host! 
If you're interested in hosting KeyCon, please post in this thread with some details about the location.  Previous KeyCons have been held in Chicago, San Francisco, and Philadelphia.  Prior venues are not off limits, but it is fun to see some new places every once in awhile too.  ;)  Also keep in mind that in order for this to work, we need one or two people dedicated to running the event (reserving venue, etc.) - so any prospective city will also need a host!

If you're new to KeyCon, check out the KeyCon 2015 or KeyCon 2017 subforums to see what previous years have looked like.  :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 March 2018, 15:07:56 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline fendent

• * Maker
Re: KeyCon 2018!! --> PLANNING
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:32:36 »
LET'S DO THIS

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:40:27 »
I'm throwing my vote in for Columbus, OH, and would be happy to help organize. I already ran a mk meetup at the Idea Foundry last September
 (pics:https://imgur.com/a/h0493), and plan to run another in March, so the venue is pretty well sorted. The cost of food/travel/lodging for Columbus is also more than reasonable compared to a lot of other major cities. Also, there's a brewery right next door to the Idea Foundry... which is a point not to be overlooked.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 12:45:59 »
Let's try to get it in the middle of the country so that it's easier and cheaper for people to attend :)
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 13:17:00 »
My body is ready.  ;)

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 13:24:26 »
I'm throwing my vote in for Columbus, OH, and would be happy to help organize. I already ran a mk meetup at the Idea Foundry last September
 (pics:https://imgur.com/a/h0493), and plan to run another in March, so the venue is pretty well sorted. The cost of food/travel/lodging for Columbus is also more than reasonable compared to a lot of other major cities. Also, there's a brewery right next door to the Idea Foundry... which is a point not to be overlooked.

I've only driven through but I was looking at hotels for the csgo major that was held there a couple years ago and everything was super reasonable. I would vote for this.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 13:38:45 »

This gets my +1 easily.  Very central location, affordable, and plenty to do.  :thumb:

Offline pwade3

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 14:08:52 »
I am all on board for a Columbus Keycon!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 17:45:45 »
2017 had some really fantastic meet-ups that were very well attended and even sponsored with vendor donations. I think each of the following locations are easy to get to and have a large and active group that would love to host.

New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Charleston
Austin
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Big airports and direct flights are nice but cost of hotel is high and rental cars and such are a factor. We have a large range of people from broke students all the way up. On the other hand, there have been some really great meets that were actually quite difficult to travel to as well - like Asheville, NC where we had no major airport, expensive hotels, long drives, and no real local support group... yet I think we all had a lot of fun and quite a few people made the journey out to the mountains.

I think there is a happy medium for finding a place that has a popular airport with reasonably priced flights and hotels... and just as important, something cool that people would love to go do before/after the meet in smaller groups. Heres some places that have a lot of extracurricular activities and an easy airport but aren't your major metropolitans

Charlotte
Denver
Albuquerque
New Orleans
Nashville

Probably the best flight deals are always to Las Vegas or Orlando... probably have some really easy "group event" options too but I dunno - from what I've found, most of us are the 'chill, craft beer, indie rock, black coffee' kinda crew. I'm fairly confident if we decided to meet in someplace obscure like Wyoming, Utah, or Kentucky.. people would still show up.
-Dana

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 20:54:45 »
2017 had some really fantastic meet-ups that were very well attended and even sponsored with vendor donations. I think each of the following locations are easy to get to and have a large and active group that would love to host.

New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Charleston
Austin
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Big airports and direct flights are nice but cost of hotel is high and rental cars and such are a factor. We have a large range of people from broke students all the way up. On the other hand, there have been some really great meets that were actually quite difficult to travel to as well - like Asheville, NC where we had no major airport, expensive hotels, long drives, and no real local support group... yet I think we all had a lot of fun and quite a few people made the journey out to the mountains.

I think there is a happy medium for finding a place that has a popular airport with reasonably priced flights and hotels... and just as important, something cool that people would love to go do before/after the meet in smaller groups. Heres some places that have a lot of extracurricular activities and an easy airport but aren't your major metropolitans

Charlotte
Denver
Albuquerque
New Orleans
Nashville

Probably the best flight deals are always to Las Vegas or Orlando... probably have some really easy "group event" options too but I dunno - from what I've found, most of us are the 'chill, craft beer, indie rock, black coffee' kinda crew. I'm fairly confident if we decided to meet in someplace obscure like Wyoming, Utah, or Kentucky.. people would still show up.

I think we'll probably be going Olympics style like last year where locals who are willing to host and make arrangements throw their hat in the ring and we make a vote at some point in the future. I love all these notes though and agree with you on all points.

Offline matt-taco

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 21:27:29 »
I'd be down for it to be in the DC area or within a 200 mile radius. I really wanted to keycon2017 in Philly, but I was at Philmont.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 22:46:09 »
I think we'll probably be going Olympics style like last year where locals who are willing to host and make arrangements throw their hat in the ring and we make a vote at some point in the future. I love all these notes though and agree with you on all points.

I mean honestly one of the biggest factors to having a successful meet of this size is having the support from a team of people like what you guys did with att1cus this summer. That was just awesome with all the demos and Q&A sessions and stuff. I'm sad i didn't get to stay the whole day.
-Dana

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 00:28:20 »

This gets my +1 easily.  Very central location, affordable, and plenty to do.  :thumb:

If it's in Columbus we need to roadtrip again.

Another bonus of OH is we can probably get CPT to come out
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 01:57:15 »

If it's in Columbus we need to roadtrip again.

Another bonus of OH is we can probably get CPT to come out

I thought he was in CT? But yeah that would be cool.
-Dana

Offline shuangmu

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 06:50:46 »
Look forward .
                                                                           Love Artisan<3
                                                                                                                                       Love geekhack                     

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:04:32 »
Obviously I'm going to vote of the north east... Driving is SO much easier than flying. That being said, I could understand why people are into cbus.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:33:27 »
If you guys are thinking of a central location,  I recommend the geographic center of the contiguous United States. The closest town is Lebanon, Kansas, about 10 miles south of the Kansas-Nebraska border.  I believe the closest major airport is in Kansas City, so could carpool from there or maybe Denver. The Amtrak also goes through Kansas and Nebraska. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 09:47:24 »
If you guys are thinking of a central location,  I recommend the geographic center of the contiguous United States. The closest town is Lebanon, Kansas, about 10 miles south of the Kansas-Nebraska border.  I believe the closest major airport is in Kansas City, so could carpool from there or maybe Denver. The Amtrak also goes through Kansas and Nebraska. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_center_of_the_contiguous_United_States

No.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 15:28:35 »

pls

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 15:49:11 »
Obviously I'm going to vote of the north east... Driving is SO much easier than flying. That being said, I could understand why people are into cbus.

The North East has "weather" though, so depending on the time of year, people flying in could get screwed. The mid-west should be more forgiving in terms of flights.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 08:59:14 »

The North East has "weather" though, so depending on the time of year, people flying in could get screwed. The mid-west should be more forgiving in terms of flights.

Philly would be good imo. Not as north east as new England. As long as it's not December through April the weather is usually not a concern.
'
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 00:18:34 »
I was out of the country for this year's one. Hope I can make it in 2018! If it's summer/fall, then Northeast should be fine.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 11:24:15 »
Columbus would be perfect for me!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline d_stilgar

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 21:12:46 »

New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Charleston
Austin
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Charlotte
Denver
Albuquerque
New Orleans
Nashville

Philadelphia was pretty awesome last year. I think we can build some momentum and get it even bigger this year. I had one keyboard last year and might have six this year, haha. I'm also down to do another poster this year (no matter where it is), but depending on where it is won't be able to deliver posters in person at the event.

I'd veto (not that my veto means anything) places that already have big annual meetups. Seattle, NYC, Washington DC all come to mind, but I think we should check to make sure there isn't a keyboard scene/meetup in any of the other cities on that list. Personally speaking, if KeyCon can bookend another event like San Diego ComicCon, PAX, DragonCon or Quakecon, I'm more likely to travel.

So my vote is for Philly because I'm selfish and want it in my own backyard. I'm happy to volunteer but probably not be lead organizer since I don't have a good hookup for a venue.

Offline shinz0

• i was told there would be cake
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 15:25:18 »
Considering that many people will be flying in from many different parts of the country, and potentially, the world. I want to put a recommendation for Las Vegas.

It's a major international airport hub which means cheap flights in and out. Everything you need in Vegas is within close proximity and typically only a $10 cab fare away. It's got world class dining and entertainment for all ages.

I'm not from vegas, but i think it's a convenient place to get more people together. I also don't know who would be able to host, but i can volunteer as an organizer of Vegas is chosen.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 November 2017, 15:32:58 by shinz0 »

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 15:39:47 »
Considering that many people will be flying in from many different parts of the country, and potentially, the world. I want to put a recommendation for Las Vegas.

It's a major international airport hub which means cheap flights in and out. Everything you need in Vegas is within close proximity and typically only a $10 cab fare away. It's got world class dining and entertainment for all ages.

I'm not from vegas, but i think it's a convenient place to get more people together. I also don't know who would be able to host, but i can volunteer as an organizer of Vegas is chosen.

Unless you just like drinking, gambling, and sitting in theaters, there's not much to do in Las Vegas. I like the idea of exploring a city if I'm going to travel there for a convention.

Offline robotmaxtron

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 15:45:04 »
+1 to Denver. Centrally located, due to the airport hub, it should be pretty inexpensive to get flights there (although getting from the airport into Denver is a bit of a beast without a car). It's also a legal state for those folks whom might be interested in partaking.

Offline d_stilgar

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 20:38:42 »

Unless you just like drinking, gambling, and sitting in theaters, there's not much to do in Las Vegas. I like the idea of exploring a city if I'm going to travel there for a convention.

I lived in Vegas for four months while my wife did her student teaching. We don't drink or gamble, but we still had a lot of fun. Walking the strip is an experience even if you don't go inside any of the casinos. The Bellagio Fountain is as good as a decent fireworks display. There's the Pinball Hall of Fame on Tropicana Ave about 1-2 miles from the strip and a few gun ranges with fully automatic weapons (if you're into that sort of thing).

There's also really great food and some amusement park stuff as well (including the Adventuredome at Circus Circus, which is pretty decent).

Offline Tally810

Re: KeyCon 2018!! --&gt; PLANNING
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 23 November 2017, 18:31:43 »

Plus 1 for Vegas :woi:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 13:27:19 »
I'm happy to offer Villanova near Philadelphia again.  I can get a 200-seat auditorium in the engineering building this year.  I know some things didn't go super smoothly last year, but we have learned from those problems and are ready to do it again!

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 18:23:45 »
^ I thought all things considered it went off extremely well. Free facilities is a game changer! I really liked the parking garage and map of the campus as well as the signs through the maze to get to the classroom. Those are the small things people overlook and they can really help. I just stole some political signs and painted them white with stickers for our meet in Raleigh. People would have driven right by the lot entrance without them.

The main thing I saw that we could improve on for ALL meets in 2018 is getting an updated original post with the basic things like Date, Time, Address, Photo/Map, etc. Having this information not easily accessible and in advance is really difficult for people coming in from out of town.
-Dana

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 00:29:06 »
i'm in if it's in the northeast

i recommend boston
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 11:57:21 »
No love for Montreal?

I'd go to Boston, though.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 12:01:50 »
Boston is my top choice.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 13:07:06 »

New York City
Philadelphia
Los Angeles
Washington DC
Raleigh/Durham
Atlanta
Charleston
Austin
Houston
Seattle
Chicago

Charlotte
Denver
Albuquerque
New Orleans
Nashville

I like this post!

I LOVE KEYCOOOON!!!

New Orleans is a really really fun city that is pretty different than most I've been to so it would be fun to go there if a lot of people are going to actually fly out / road trip for the weekend! It has some really great food, culture, art and music! i haven't been down that way in a few years, but I could probably point people to some great bars and activities down there! It's probably in my top 3 favorite cities to experience. Also has an airport!

Denver would be cool! Airport, weed and hiking!? hell yea.

Idk what is in Albuquerque so no comment there except I'm always down for new places!

Nashville I'm not to keen on.. a lot of people seem to like it I guess but I usually find it preeeetty pretty boring. I'd rather do Gatlinburg or (cough cough) Knoxville! If people are coming to Tennessee. Gatlinburg would be cool to like... rent some cabins for the weekend.

I really liked the space / venue / organization last year! buuuut i think it would be cool to move locations every year for keycon! I can see there being yearly city meetups (like seattle and philly/dc) but i like that keycon bounces around so people in various places get a chance to come out without having to trek across the country every time! Also, if it's in the same area every year I would be less inclined to go. I like new places & faces. :)  I understand you people wanting it close to home .. but I look at KeyCon as something I plan a little vacation for every year. If there are enough people in Boston to want it in Boston because it's where they live.. than y'all can just have a meetup. KEYCON IS A COMMITMENT. AND IT'S THE BEEEEST.

Either way! I do think we should get moving on the poll and stuff. The earlier we can set a date/location, the more affordable things are!

oh. also... I'd be down to help organize around here and in NOLA if people are into it! If I have a couple months, I can totally find a venue and stuff.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 November 2017, 13:12:00 by Booper »
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 13:09:56 »
I like new [...] faces.

oh

* HoffmanMyster stays home

:(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 13:10:47 »
Let's aim for 32x Females to 1x Male ratio.. !!

//Epic

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 13:13:39 »
I like new [...] faces.

oh

PSSSSH! I just assume y'all will come out :D

Besides..  I see yo' face like all the time! haha
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 16:04:41 »
I like new [...] faces.

oh

PSSSSH! I just assume y'all will come out :D

Hahaha, I'm hoping to!  If it's drive-able I can probably swing it, but plane tickets might be out of the question next year.  That's why we need to make Columbus happen!  ;) 

Besides..  I see yo' face like all the time! haha

Hehe, exactly why you wouldn't want me to come!  :P  Aaanyway, I keed, I keed.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 16:33:52 »
Hoff - check out Frontier prices for places like Denver or Vegas. You'd be amazed how cheap you can get somewhere if you can fit what you need in a backpack instead of a suitcase or rollback
-Dana

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 18:18:22 »
Hoff - check out Frontier prices for places like Denver or Vegas. You'd be amazed how cheap you can get somewhere if you can fit what you need in a backpack instead of a suitcase or rollback

Whoa, definitely some cheap flights through Frontier to a few places this weekend (what popped up when I started my search), but looking at a random mid-July date to Denver/Vegas returned some $250+ flights, which is pretty standard if my memory serves.  :-/  So that's less than promising.  But once we nail down a date and location, I'll give it another shot to see what comes back.  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 18:34:56 »

Whoa, definitely some cheap flights through Frontier to a few places this weekend (what popped up when I started my search), but looking at a random mid-July date to Denver/Vegas returned some $250+ flights, which is pretty standard if my memory serves.  :-/  So that's less than promising.  But once we nail down a date and location, I'll give it another shot to see what comes back.  :thumb:

Yes, cheaper aeroplane , but How many females is Hoff bringing. ??

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 01:12:44 »

Yeah you just kinda have to keep your eye out for deals. I have flown to places for under $100 round trip on Frontier - but the key is you cant really bring much with you cause they charge for everything extra. Anyway, when the time comes i'll help dig around for flight stuff - the wife works for Frontier so i've got the insider info lol.

tp4 - if Hoff brings women, will you show up?  :p
-Dana

Offline syndicate0

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 15:49:39 »
Seattle or SF would be a great option :)

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 19:52:30 »
OfTheWild mentioned Atlanta. I would like support that.

I hosted the last Atlanta meetup with the Atlanta Historic Computing Society and will likely host one again in the spring. I am in contact with the Computer Museum of America and I believe it will be a great location for KeyCon. It provides a lot of space in a neat and unique environment.

Atlanta is also very accessible. Bunch of flights all through out the day. It's also a Southwest Hub so flights are also quite affordable. Public Rail and a bus can take you to the venue. There are enough things to do/eat while you're here, but getting around the city is almost impossible without a car.

I am willing to host and I know many people in the area that would also be willing to help out.

« Last Edit: Sun, 03 December 2017, 20:05:20 by ultraidiot »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 12:57:41 »
Okay, so a couple people have mentioned getting a poll up so we can get the process rolling sooner than later.  What cities do we want on the list?  I'll go through the thread tonight hopefully and compile a list of locations with hosts, but if anyone else has some free time and wants to help with this I'd appreciate it.  :)

Yes, cheaper aeroplane , but How many females is Hoff bringing. ??

The thought of tp meeting Wyfster...  :eek:

Yeah you just kinda have to keep your eye out for deals. I have flown to places for under $100 round trip on Frontier - but the key is you cant really bring much with you cause they charge for everything extra. Anyway, when the time comes i'll help dig around for flight stuff - the wife works for Frontier so i've got the insider info lol.

tp4 - if Hoff brings women, will you show up?  :p

My default form of travel is sans carry on anyway (unless absolutely necessary), so that wouldn't be a problem.  :)  I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals to wherever we decide on, and maybe lean on your wife for some insider info if needed.  ;)  Thanks for the tips.  :D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 15:50:28 »
NYC, Boston, Atlanta, CBUS, Baltimore

and some west coast ****
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 December 2017, 20:38:01 »
Okay, so a couple people have mentioned getting a poll up so we can get the process rolling sooner than later.  What cities do we want on the list?  I'll go through the thread tonight hopefully and compile a list of locations with hosts, but if anyone else has some free time and wants to help with this I'd appreciate it.  :)

It might be easier in a new thread just for the "location/host nomination" in order to make sure we have specific confirmation from people. 

Do you want to pick a location first and then make sure we have a hosting committee or does the location nomination need to come with a "..and i will take on the responsibility of organizing a group to manage this"?
One person alone probably shouldn't handle it anymore. Thats not fair to them and its a single point of failure. It doesn't have to be all (any?) locals. This takes time and money to do these - at least up front. I know a lot of folks raffle off personal items or vendor donations to fund the rental space.

So far people have offered up:

Location | Organizer
Philly - att1cus
Atlanta - ultraidiot
Columbus - jacobsmirror/Hoff
Austin - woodkeys

And there has been interest in the following but no host volunteers:

Vegas
New Orleans
Boston
Baltimore/DC
NYC
San Fran
Seattle

I know that the Austin/Houston team from reddit/discord would be all over this too. Those guys are a little obsessed with meetups (in a good way). I would also throw Raleigh/Durham (4hrs to DC, Charleston, 6 from ATL..) in there with me as a host but I kinda want to travel  ;D  I'd definitely volunteer to help on the planning committee though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 December 2017, 16:04:06 by OfTheWild »
-Dana

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 02:58:51 »
I can only really throw in support for Atlanta or Charleston, anything else is just too far for me.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline MustacheRabbit

• My friends just don't understand
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 08:25:29 »
+1 for Columbus