Author Topic: Help Understanding Remapping Keys - WinKey?  (Read 1285 times)

Offline 2ndRoad805

Help Understanding Remapping Keys - WinKey?
« on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 23:00:49 »
So, as I understand it, keys can be mapped to whatever I choose and then flashed to the Atmega. So if I want my 'a' key to become a 'z' key, that should be easy enough. What confuses me is why many people like the HHKB layout. I imagine it has a lot to do with the switches but I wondered if the removal of the Win Key was necessary. Could I not replace the Win Key with a Shift, ctrl, or some macro key in the keymap? I see people mention autohotkey, but it's frustrating that I would have to set this up for each computer I moved it to.

Is the WinKey hardwired somehow to always be a windows key? Is it only certain company's PCBs? Is it QMK/firmware mandatory?? I want to make a 60% board or 65% but was hoping to change the WinKey to a macro key, like an alternate mouse click button for push to talk.

I used to rip my windows key out because it would minimize my game during crucial moments while i was attempting to use my alt modifier for an ability in a panic. I just really hate the WinKey. I never use it. and likely never will. I could really do without the menu key as well. Are there other modifier options out there I could customize? What is 'super' and 'meta'?

Thanks for any help. Please be patient with my rudimentary understanding of building a keyboard. I want to be able to decipher the basics of QMK but I don't think I can devote the time to learning the intricacies of coding.

Offline Lanrefni

Re: Help Understanding Remapping Keys - WinKey?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 08:25:41 »
Win key is entirely optional in QMK,you can assign any thing you like in it's place.
Personally speaking I use the Win key a lot,pressing it then typing the the first few letters of the program I want to open is pretty nice.

Offline 2ndRoad805

Re: Help Understanding Remapping Keys - WinKey?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 11:47:02 »
Comforting to hear. I guess I could always hide it under a layer so it’s less likely to minimize/interrupt a game. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk