Author Topic: [IC] MG Monster custom keycaps set  (Read 14001 times)

Offline muni_chang

• Keyboarding Kills
[IC] MG Monster custom keycaps set
« on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 01:42:25 »

The colour way and theme were inspired by the film Hollywood version "Godzilla", dark tone keycaps with light blue fonts make this set of keycaps have a sense of mystery and also I created two cute monsters in the novelties kit, glad you guys will like them.

Design by Muni
Made by MelGeek
MG profile
ABS double-shot
Compatible with Cherry MX switches and clones

Official Store :www.melgeek.com
Discord :https://discord.gg/gYvT3fn
Email : hello@melgeek.com
Tel: +86 0755-2948-4324
Instagram: melgeek001365
Twitter: MelGeekworld
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 19:14:44 by muni_chang »
Keyboarding Kills

Offline Alga

Re: [IC] MG Monster custom keycaps set
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 04:17:05 »
Looks really nice & the novelties are very cool. I wouldn't mind to get one of those.

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 06:40:24 »
Looking nice but I have several comments.

1. Can you please add more support for 40s (such as 1.75u R2 backspace and 1.5u return)?

2. What is MG profile and how does it compare to other profiles?

3. Can this be run in PBT instead?

Offline psxndc

[IC] MG Monster custom keycaps set
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 06:46:55 »
Given the set is Japanese movie inspired, you should clarify that the pricing listed in the pics is either just for style or is listed in Chinese Yuan instead of Japanese yen. I mean, unless your plan really is to release a base set that costs $6 USD, In which case I'll take two!
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 06:48:48 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline Morthekaiser

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 07:18:02 »
Given the set is Japanese movie inspired, you should clarify that the pricing listed in the pics is either just for style or is listed in Chinese Yuan instead of Japanese yen. I mean, unless your plan really is to release a base set that costs $6 USD, In which case I'll take two!
the signal is for both currencies, yen and renminbi

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 07:43:26 »
The colours are great.  Are you considering expanding the kits to include things like ISO and or UK ISO?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Ciantha

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 07:45:03 »
I'm confused by the extra b in the base kit. Normally the extra b is for Alice compatibility but there's no 2,75+2,25 spacebars in either the base kit or the extra space bar kit.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 08:22:47 »
the signal is for both currencies, yen and renminbi
.... Yeah, that's my point. ¥ is for both, but means very different things in terms of USD.

599 JPY = ~$6 usd
599 CNY = ~$92 usd

The theme is Japanese themed, so using ¥ without clarifying that it’s in Chinese Yuan was a little confusing until I did the actual exchange rate and realized it couldn’t be in Japanese yen.
Ortho. Always.

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 08:26:41 »
I'm confused by the extra b in the base kit. Normally the extra b is for Alice compatibility but there's no 2,75+2,25 spacebars in either the base kit or the extra space bar kit.

The set is so pretty!
But pls add spacebar support for Alice and also basic 65% support too.. Mainly 1u R2

Also any possibility of Ergo kit?

EDIT: On closer look, the kits really need to be expanded for basic supports.

EDIT 2: Any other additional stuffs planned? Deskmat? Switch(like Ember)? etc?
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 09:10:26 by YMwoo »

Offline Damage

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 09:49:45 »
I have MG Ember, and it's excellent. The quality is very high, and I think MG may be my favorite profile.  I'm happy to see more interesting colorways like this one coming to MG.

Like everyone is saying, please consider adding the proper space bars and other keys to support Alice, PhysiX, and other 65% layouts. If you do, I will buy this set.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 09:51:35 »
Suggest adding ISO to base kit
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Beenoman

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 09:55:03 »
i would love to get this, looks great. But where's the split spacebars at? You have the extra B but there's no point without split space, and because of how high profile MG is we can't just flip other keys to fit. If you get split spacebars in its a must buy for me.

Offline Rossman360

• Montsinger
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 11:20:18 »
these colors are making me feel something

Offline Havattack

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:19:28 »
Please consider making those 2.0 unit novelties (the ones with the katakana) in 2.25 units too. I rather use that as the enter, then the gihdora one.

I'd also prefer a less cute, or an alternate to the cute one, godzilla cap.

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:49:51 »
Will there be split bar support in the spacebars kit? 2/2.25/2.75/3?

Offline Bonzaibebop

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 13:54:35 »
I really enjoy the look of this set! Just a bit confused on the actual currency rate, very interested nonetheless!
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 14:01:06 by Bonzaibebop »

Offline Tree_

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 16:04:41 »
Given that one of your novelties is a straight up rip-off of the Toho logo and that your designs for Godzilla and Ghidorah are trying to mimic the Shōwa and Heisei era designs, I assume this has been given the green light by Toho?

Edit: Actually, that's the Toei logo ... These novelties really need to be reworked.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 16:12:27 by Tree_ »

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 18:25:35 »
I like the colours of the set a lot. But I'm not the biggest fan of the novelties. I think there's a bit of room for improvement.
I second havattack's suggestion. I particularly dislike the Enter key Ghidorah design, and would just rock katakana in that slot.
The Esc Godzilla is cute, but not everyone wants a cute novelty. Some would rather vibe with a more serious looking monster novelty (i.e. GMK Kaiju's).
The Toei logo for the bot row modifiers is very bold decision to go with. I don't think the logo is particularly nice aesthetically/essential to theme enough to risk copying it exactly.

Looking nice but I have several comments.

1. Can you please add more support for 40s (such as 1.75u R2 backspace and 1.5u return)?

2. What is MG profile and how does it compare to other profiles?

3. Can this be run in PBT instead?
Not OP, but I own MG Ember keycaps (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101675.0) and they're pleasant to type on. I currently don't own similar higher profile caps (i.e. MT3, KAT, Hi-pro etc) to be able to offer a good comparison (yet).  You'll also find photos of it if you look around on Melgeek discord server. It should also be arriving soon for Drop customers, so maybe you'll see it more comments/reviews of the profile on that site.

Some other image references , .

MG is ABS doubleshot. They might run it in MDA profile which is PBT, down the line in the future (they've done it for Ember dawn), but who knows?

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 18:33:07 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 20:49:55 »
Given that one of your novelties is a straight up rip-off of the Toho logo and that your designs for Godzilla and Ghidorah are trying to mimic the Shōwa and Heisei era designs, I assume this has been given the green light by Toho?

Edit: Actually, that's the Toei logo ... These novelties really need to be reworked.
Toei logo? Yeah
Godzilla and Ghidora? LOL no, it's just a clip-art silhouette of a 3 headed dragon, and the other is Zilla's down syndrome brother, there is absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to those two. At least as far as copy right goes..

Offline melgeek

• MelGeek-Keyboards and Peripherals Manufacture
    • MelGeek
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 21:44:03 »
MelGeek- aim to bring the joy of using a mechanical keyboard to everyone.

Offline BeachFan69

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 22:30:21 »
MG looks cool.

Offline blaqbern

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 22:31:35 »
MG profile looks really interesting/promising! Nice to see some different profiles on offer.
I may be in the minority here, but I’d love to see blue mods to match the alphas. If that was an option, I’d be so in for this set—even if I had to spring for an extra modifier kit.

Offline fabijolo

• I like expensive plastic.
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 00:09:23 »
I really adore those novelties, they're actually beyond amazing.
I'd just love for this set, to be produced by a different manufacturer like SP.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 01:01:49 »
yes please but will there be Colemak support? please? :D

Offline Pyk_

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 03:06:45 »
I like it. My vote would be for an ortho kit.

Offline geohammy

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 14:03:29 »
Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unagi, Bias, Dolphin, XTAL

Join the YVKB Discord:
https://discord.gg/pCjDYqup6r

Offline consumer

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 16:04:29 »
I like it. My vote would be for an ortho kit.
+1 for ortho

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 16:30:33 »
now that I see how tall this set is, I am quite disappointed. I would be much more interested if this ran in the MDA profile. it would be very much appreciated if this were considered. indeed in MDA this would be a must buy for me as I love the colors and the novelties. thank you.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 21:40:34 »
Nonsense. If anything, make it TALLER, in the best profile ever, SA!

The difference between MG and MDA is hardly worth caring about.

Offline Yuinth

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 14 December 2020, 20:48:44 »
I like the colors and the theme, but I agree you shouldn't risk a copyright issue with the Toei logo.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 15:18:05 »
Is this still a thing? 

As a godzilla fan this speaks to me moreso than GMK Kaiju but agree with other that novelties need work. Regardless, would buy base kit just on colorway alone.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 15:52:13 »
Is this still a thing? 

As a godzilla fan this speaks to me moreso than GMK Kaiju but agree with other that novelties need work. Regardless, would buy base kit just on colorway alone.

Done and gone I'm afraid. Last December by the looks of it. This thread was not updated, so both me and you missed out on it.
https://www.melgeek.com/products/gb-melgeek-mg-monster-abs-doubleshot-custom-keycap-set

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 16:32:20 »
dang. thx for the update

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 08:52:01 »
Will there be R2?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::