Author Topic: [IC] GMK Voyage (We Are Live!)  (Read 59734 times)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: GMK Voyage (Icon mods and Novelties Kit Update)
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 09:59:52 »
no 1.5u novelties and no 1.5u "command" / "windows" keys????   it is a dealbreaker for me   :'(

What's the reason that it is a deal breaker? Maybe I can accommodate.

Offline Esperianterra

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 12:46:47 »
Icon mods ! Yes ! Bless. <3

Offline Marutks

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 15:35:49 »
What's the reason that it is a deal breaker? Maybe I can accommodate.

Many keyboards have 1.5 size key for command / windows key. That includes all HHKB layout boards and many 65% boards.

You need a 1.5u "super"/"code" labelled keycap or a novelty keycap.   I avoid keycap sets that don't have one.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 15:46:37 »
Icod mods are dank af, but I agree with some 1.5 novelties

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 16:03:41 »
No problem. I can add two more r4 1.5u novelties. I especially like what BrainBunker said here about the "Grand Tour" and "175" years. "Grand Tour" probably won't fit though. I'd be open to other suggestions too.

I also have a suggestion for a possible addition to the novelties that references the "grand tour" that made the mission possible in the first place. This key could either say "Grand Tour" (probably enter key) or "175" (should fit on most keys), referring to the 175 years before such opportunities repeat due to the orbital alignment of the planets (see:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Tour_program).

Offline Marutks

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 17:30:16 »
I would be happy with planets on 1.5u keycaps.

Offline upas

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:36:13 »
Do you know if GMK has a 1.25U R4c mold? I think it would help with all the typical 2.25/1.25/2.75 split space. But I don't think I've seen it before, so I don't know if the mold exists.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:49:47 »
Do you know if GMK has a 1.25U R4c mold? I think it would help with all the typical 2.25/1.25/2.75 split space. But I don't think I've seen it before, so I don't know if the mold exists.

Unfortunately, no. It was talked about during the GMK Blank GB here.

MOQ is at 1k for this new mold.

Actually, let me see if Oblotzky can add it to one of his kits. I think there is a good possibility Oblivion can reach the 1K MOQ needed.

Offline digid3ar

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:56:08 »
like the novelty designs, but dont like how the ship, planet and the antenna have diferent widhts in their lines, those tiny details could be simplified for a more uniform look

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:59:19 »
I think some of the designs could use a bit of polish. I'll probably have one of the more experienced designers refine them a bit.

Offline bengine

GMK Voyage (Icon mods and Novelties Kit Update)
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 12:22:12 »

Actually, let me see if Oblotzky can add it to one of his kits. I think there is a good possibility Oblivion can reach the 1K MOQ needed.
There is Spacebar kit in Oblivion V2. So, I don’t think Oblotzky will add 1.25u R4C into the base kit.

Base kit might reach 1k easily, but I doubt Spacebar kit can get anywhere near that number.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 12:45:14 »

There is Spacebar kit in Oblivion V2. So, I don’t think Oblotzky will add 1.25u R4C into the base kit.

Base kit might reach 1k easily, but I doubt Spacebar kit can get anywhere near that number.

I do expect Oblivion to sell like hotcakes but I do agree that 1K is quite ambitious for a spacebar kit. Maybe Oblotzky or Massdrop can work out a deal with GMK. I'm sure the community would love to see 1.75u spacebar support. If you'd like to see Oblotzky add 1.75u spacebars to Oblivion, please let him know as well.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: GMK Voyage (40's Kit - feedback appreciated )
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 15:27:52 »
Have added a 40's, Ortho, Split kit and New Spacebar Kit to OP. Please let me know what you think. Know is the time for adjustments.

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2019, 16:03:53 by nasp »

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 01:04:07 »
I'm in for this one, base and novelties (which turned out great !).

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 06:59:04 »
I don't think 1.75c keys exist.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline RDaneelOlivaw

• Don't Panic.
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 07:12:51 »
Love this. Filled out the form and will keep an eye on a launch time!
He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

Offline Esperianterra

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 08:45:13 »
cant really comment on the new kit, but the novelties look perfectly fine to me ?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 15:01:10 »
cant really comment on the new kit, but the novelties look perfectly fine to me ?

I don't think 1.75c keys exist.

I agree that the novelties look good, but I want to make sure they are the best that they can be. I'll have another graphic artist take a look at them so he or she can offer feedback, if any.

Yes, you are correct that 1.75c keys do not exist. I should know better. I also put a 2u shift on the 40's/Ortho/Split kit, but there's already one in the base kit so I'm removing it as we don't need to have two.

Thanks for all the feedback! I also showed the 40's/Ortho/Split kit off to the 40's Discord and folks didn't have any complaints about compatibility.

Offline Esperianterra

Re: GMK Voyage (Polaris render soon and 40's/Ortho kit added!)
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 18:34:36 »
I mean, better safe than sorry.

/slides an ice shard in the designs :P

Offline Marutks

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 17:12:45 »
Please consider adding 1.5u Meta and Super mod keycaps to base set.   Like GMK Eclipse  :D

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 17:18:05 »
no 1.5u novelties and no 1.5u "command" / "windows" keys????   it is a dealbreaker for me   :'(

Please consider adding 1.5u Meta and Super mod keycaps to base set.   Like GMK Eclipse  :D

We discussed at the bottom of page 1 and at the top of page 2 to add 1.5u r4 novelties. Those will come soon! Artist is currently working on the deskmats  :D

Offline vewy_nice

Re: [IC] GMK Voyage (Polaris & 40's kit renders)
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 19:22:34 »
Well considering I already bought a blue space65, and own voyager merch ranging from vinyl records to fountain pen ink, I think I might be obligated to buy this.
I also recently spilled coffee on my godspeed deskmat...

I'd also support 1.5u novelties.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2019, 19:24:35 by vewy_nice »

Offline zlee003

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 03:14:49 »
RAMA cap plz. Their latest offerings have been INSANE!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 13:38:59 »
Agree with the Rama cap. like the spacebars set. I need to make more friends who want the offset 6 or 7u bar (i'm in it for the splits...)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 15:15:40 »
Well considering I already bought a blue space65, and own voyager merch ranging from vinyl records to fountain pen ink, I think I might be obligated to buy this.
I also recently spilled coffee on my godspeed deskmat...

I'd also support 1.5u novelties.

Had no idea until you mentioned this that the Space65 was partly inspired by the Voyager probes. Sigh...guess I'll have to pick one up in blue, gray, or black. Don't worry, got at least 2 Voyager deskmats in the works!

What kind of Voyager vinyl records do you own? Curious. Is it a copy of the Golden Record?

Yes. 1.5u Novelties are coming too  ;)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] GMK Voyage (RAMA Cap Initial Design)
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 15:34:13 »

Agree with the Rama cap. like the spacebars set. I need to make more friends who want the offset 6 or 7u bar (i'm in it for the splits...)

Yes, RAMA cap design is well underway. This is our idea, please let me know what you think:

219815-0

It's a simplification of the symbols inside the record. The darker part will be cut and the actual symbols themselves would be raised.

For those out of the loop, this page explains a bit about the Golden Record. Essentially, it was a way for extraterrestrials that encountered the Voyager 2 probe to learn about mankind on earth - as viewed through that time (70's).

A few other updates:
  • Deskmats are being worked on. Should have one in a week and another a bit after that
  • There will also be 2 more novelties coming of the R4, 1.5u variety. I'm thinking for one either "Since 77" or "Est 77". The other would be "Grand Tour"
  • I've asked another designer to do a general check of the novelties. I want to make sure they are as perfect as they can be before asking GMK for a quote - which is happening soon BTW!
  • Cannon Keys will be the vendor and we're hoping to launch either August or September! We'll keep you updated.

Lastly, if you'd like to spread the word about GMK Voyage, please use this code in your profile signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100221.0][img width=400 height=120]http://i.imgur.com/r4aMEO2.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2019, 15:44:54 by nasp »

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 16:16:24 »
Love the idea of the golden record novelty. Perhaps a bit smaller line size for the designs? Or picking one of the many symbols? You and RAMA will figure it out. Can't wait!

Offline BrainBunker

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 02:06:06 »

Yes, RAMA cap design is well underway. This is our idea, please let me know what you think:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

It's a simplification of the symbols inside the record. The darker part will be cut and the actual symbols themselves would be raised.

For those out of the loop, this page explains a bit about the Golden Record. Essentially, it was a way for extraterrestrials that encountered the Voyager 2 probe to learn about mankind on earth - as viewed through that time (70's).

A few other updates:
  • Deskmats are being worked on. Should have one in a week and another a bit after that
  • There will also be 2 more novelties coming of the R4, 1.5u variety. I'm thinking for one either "Since 77" or "Est 77". The other would be "Grand Tour"
  • I've asked another designer to do a general check of the novelties. I want to make sure they are as perfect as they can be before asking GMK for a quote - which is happening soon BTW!
  • Cannon Keys will be the vendor and we're hoping to launch either August or September! We'll keep you updated.

Lastly, if you'd like to spread the word about GMK Voyage, please use this code in your profile signature:

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100221.0][img width=400 height=120]http://i.imgur.com/r4aMEO2.png[/img][/url]

1.5u novelties: hype!
Aug/Sep possible GB: hype!

That RAMA design is a nice simplification of the full golden record, I'm really digging it! Only one suggestion I would have is to add a small dot in the center, which would just make it more obvious that it's a record. And between "Since 77" or "Est 77", I vote "Since 77". "Est" seems more appropriate for businesses or buildings in my opinion

Thanks for the update, looking good!

Offline maximize

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 10:58:13 »
That is by far the dopest RAMA cap I have seen to this day.

Offline BrainBunker

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 18:56:38 »

I agree, the whole Golden Record theme is essentially made for a RAMA metal PVD format.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 19:49:38 »

Yup, might have to pick this up tbh

Offline Esperianterra

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 23:13:22 »
Hot damn thats a nice cap. I agree with BrainBunker - a small dot in the middle would make it look more like a record.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 15:12:39 »
Hot damn thats a nice cap. I agree with BrainBunker - a small dot in the middle would make it look more like a record.

So about the hole in the middle. I think that makes sense, but in this instance any of the darker spots indicate a cut, or lowered area, and the lighter areas indicate a raised area. When we have the official RAMA render it'll be easier to visualize.

Here's a quick mockup from the original mockup:

It may be a bit weird having the small circle in the middle raised up. That would be a bit opposite of a hole in the middle like a record so let's keep it as is for now. However, if I receive a lot of feedback otherwise, I'll add the record hole back in.

Offline vicissitude

Re: [IC] GMK Voyage (Deskmat and 2 new Novelties)
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 15:38:12 »
Rama cap is outstanding.
Amazing.  :thumb:

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 15:52:33 »
A few updates to report, which are also posted on the OP:

• First deskmat is in! I should have another design in two weeks time or less!
  • Novelties have been refined a bit and two more have been added (Since 77 and Grand Tour). These are not official as we need to see about price and/or if GMK can do them as-is. Credit to Hisui Hyena for the refinement.
  • added a R4 - 1.25u Caps Lock since it is quite popular to switch the Control and Caps Lock keys

Deskmat:

220090-0

Let me know what you all think. I should have more updates soon.

Offline Esperianterra

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 17:37:00 »

So about the hole in the middle. I think that makes sense, but in this instance any of the darker spots indicate a cut, or lowered area, and the lighter areas indicate a raised area. When we have the official RAMA render it'll be easier to visualize.

Here's a quick mockup from the original mockup:

(Attachment Link)

It may be a bit weird having the small circle in the middle raised up. That would be a bit opposite of a hole in the middle like a record so let's keep it as is for now. However, if I receive a lot of feedback otherwise, I'll add the record hole back in.

You have a point, but to me it almost looks like its put on a turntable to be played ? I dont think it looks terrible.

Nice and simple. I like this deskmat.

Offline zlee003

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 07:47:02 »

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

A few other updates:

I LOV3000 IT!!!
so excited for this set!!!
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2019, 07:48:33 by zlee003 »

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 11:43:20 »
Could they recess the center dot even further? Even just half the depth of the original cut would produce a nicer effect.

Also, what're you thinking for the second deskmat?
My soul desperately wants something kinda like the space cadet deskmat, but with some kind of schematic of the voyager craft...
Either that, or one of the classic mission maps: https://img.newatlas.com/voyager-retrospective-46.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=max&q=60&w=1000&s=e42963507bc305b0a46b831464dcfd09

Also, just an observation:
The more I look at it, the more the little craft profile novelty looks like Cassini...
The dish-to-chassis ratio is a bit off (needs more dish, less chassis)

It's not up to me though, I'm happy with literally anything remotely space related ;) And Cassini is Saturn related, anyway, so it works too.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2019, 11:50:35 by vewy_nice »

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 13:45:12 »
That mission map would be awesome.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 14:33:12 »
Could they recess the center dot even further? Even just half the depth of the original cut would produce a nicer effect.

Also, what're you thinking for the second deskmat?
My soul desperately wants something kinda like the space cadet deskmat, but with some kind of schematic of the voyager craft...
Either that, or one of the classic mission maps: https://img.newatlas.com/voyager-retrospective-46.png?auto=format%2Ccompress&fit=max&q=60&w=1000&s=e42963507bc305b0a46b831464dcfd09

Also, just an observation:
The more I look at it, the more the little craft profile novelty looks like Cassini...
The dish-to-chassis ratio is a bit off (needs more dish, less chassis)

It's not up to me though, I'm happy with literally anything remotely space related ;) And Cassini is Saturn related, anyway, so it works too.

Hey, I appreciate your feedback.

When we contact RAMA, I'll see if they can make the record "hole" in the middle slightly less raised than symbols around it. I don't know how feasible that it. If not, perhaps they have other ideas for how to incorporate the record "hole".

As for the Voyager probe novelty, it was the hardest novelty for the artist to portray, mainly because of the large amount of detail needed to fit in such a small space. But I do think I could make the dish a bit larger as I have some very basic Adobe Illustrator skills. Hopefully the larger dish will make it look more like Voyager and less like Cassini.

Lastly, to the deskmat; I have asked the artist to create something with a minimalism style that incorporates a mission map and a timelines. Not sure if both a mission map and a timeline can be incorporated while also keeping the minimalism feel so the final design may change. If it's too hard to pull off, we'll probably just go the schematic route. I should have some details about this by next week at the latest.

Thanks again to everyone that is following along and giving updates!  ;D

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 15:22:21 »
Disclaimer: Not an artist, but I do have a copy of Adobe Illustrator and know basic functions.

Ok, so had some time to do a quick edit of the Voyager 2 probe novelty. I changed the dish size as well as the bottom antennas. If it looks ok, I'll give the green light to Oblotzky to make them into official renders.

New=left | old=right

220192-0

Edit:
Because of tooling concerns, OCM updated the art further. Thanks, OCM  :thumb:

220415-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 June 2019, 22:51:28 by nasp »

Offline BrainBunker

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 02:29:59 »
Disclaimer: Not an artist, but I do have a copy of Adobe Illustrator and know basic functions.

Ok, so had some time to do a quick edit of the Voyager 2 probe novelty. I changed the dish size as well as the bottom antennas. If it looks ok, I'll give the green light to Oblotzky to make them into official renders.

New=left | old=right

(Attachment Link)

I like both the old and the new design, but since the new one is more "accurate", I would prefer it. In reality, the magnetometer boom extends waaaaaay beyond the high gain antenna, but it would be impossible to fit it on a keycap so this is a nice balance.

I also love wevy_nice's suggestion of the classic mission map. That deskmat would be an instant buy for me. Due to the form factor of a rectangular deskmat, it may be cool to have the golden record diagram on one half, and the mission map on the other. Alternatively, it may look good to cut off parts of the mission map, you can use your artistic judgement on an asymmetric offset placement with parts cut off. Just some suggestions and something to experiment with.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 21:13:27 »
OCM and I were unsure if the previous Voyager novelty could be done with GMK tooling, so he updated the art just in case. Here's the slightly new version:

220413-0

Also, the 2nd deskmat is done, but I'm a bit indecisive on the final direction so we have a few different options to choose from. We'd like you all to help us to decide. Once I make the poll, we'll show off the options. And if you don't like any of the options, please let me know and perhaps I'll commission out another deskmat.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] GMK Voyage (updated Voyager 2 novelty)
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 15:18:00 »
Ello!

Here are the 2nd deskmat options. I'll share with you my opinions once you've had a few days to look at the options.

220454-0

Please vote for your favorite here.

Bon Voyage!

Offline Esperianterra

Re: [IC] GMK Voyage (2nd Deskmat Options LIVE!)
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 08:42:54 »
2 is def my favorite

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 08:46:53 »
I'll post my feedback publicly too so others can see if they agree :)

"Option A or B but without any text labeling on the mission map would be excellent! I feel like the labels kind of clutter it up. It's so iconic it should be able to speak for itself. If option 3 gets picked, take a look at pictures of Uranus... It's kind of just... Blue. Getting rid of the "swirls" would clean it up a bit. Also, people don't usually visualize Neptune with its rings. Saturn and Uranus being the only 2 with rings would look a bit more recognizable I think. Also, toning down the swirls on Neptune would help differentiate from Jupiter."

Also: I'd make sure that the "resolution" of the mats would produce the small text on the timeline. Looking down at my Godspeed mat, the edges of the lines are a bit blurry. It's fine for large things, but tiny text like that might be challenging.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2019, 08:48:56 by vewy_nice »

Offline BrainBunker

Re: [IC] GMK Voyage (updated Voyager 2 novelty)
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 03:41:12 »
Ello!

Here are the 2nd deskmat options. I'll share with you my opinions once you've had a few days to look at the options.

(Attachment Link)

Please vote for your favorite here.

Bon Voyage!

I'm really liking the deskmats! I'd most likely buy it regardless of which design ends up getting picked.

Adding my comments from the form here as well.
- "pases" is spelled wrong on all examples, should be "passes".
- I prefer A, since I like the clearly indicated orbit lines, instead of the solid fill circles.
- I would suggest using the wording "Jupiter flyby" and "Saturn flyby" instead of "passes at its closest to Jupiter" or "passes Saturn".
- I agree with vewy_nice that it's important to make sure the small text will be readable with the resolution available for deskpad printing.

Offline RDaneelOlivaw

• Don't Panic.
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 10:03:38 »
I love option 3 for the deskmats.
He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

Offline 8BitDuck

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 17:44:50 »
Absolutely love this set. I would love to see some proper ISO kits though, not a fan of the ANSI-ISO mash-up at all.

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 07 June 2019, 20:13:17 »
I personally like deskmat c the most.