Author Topic: Evoluent vertical mouse  (Read 2073 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Evoluent vertical mouse
« on: Thu, 23 August 2012, 21:36:42 »
Just going to leave this here.

Anyone looking for a mouse to help with CTS or RSI should check out the Evoluent vertical mouse.  I have one at work and it fixed my wrist right up.  Highly recommended.

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
Re: Evoluent vertical mouse
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 23:56:50 »
New to this board. I got a brand new VM4R for $50 from an auction on eBay. It's great.

On a side note, this might help some people out there (as long as this isn't violating a whole bunch of ergonomic rules): I was getting shoulder and wrist pains at home but not at work, and I later realized that it's because at work I rest my forearm all the way up to my elbow on the desk (whereas at home I don't have that desk space nor do I have wide/low enough armrests on my chair). So I've started using a little pullout shelf to rest my arm. For me, being able to use the VM4R and to support my mousing arm's elbow alleviates some pain, using a computer from home is just great.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 20:32:55 »
Welcome to GH!

So you recommend resting the entire forearm like TP4tissue's huge armrest? Normally, I'm at my "standing" desk, and my arms don't wrest on anything. When I'm sitting, I always rest my arms on the chair rests, which seems to work for me.

Although I d'nt know if I'm violating any ergonomic rules. I probably am.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 20:59:38 »
I don't think rests are necessary if all the alignments are right.  They take it very seriously at my office, I've been ergo'ed to the max.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 21:29:45 »
I also rest my entire forearm on my chair armrests and the support gives me better comfort and control.  Naturally, the armrests have to be positioned at the proper height. I originally rebuilt an old office chair with amply padded armrests set at an appropriate height which worked very well. Unfortunately the upholstery was so worn that I decided to get a Steelcase Leap chair. I think I prefer the feel of the old homemade one.

I have also wondered if I'm breaking some rule of typing or ergonomics by supporting my arms in such a way. What do you think? 

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 17:39:48 »
metalliqaz: any rests in general, or tp4tissue's "whole arm-rest"?

For me it the chair/its armrests really do make a difference (well, everything makes a big difference, of course, but my work doesn't have the luxury of ergonomic proactiveness). The arm resting on the desk thing certainly can't be good for my back in the long-term. But, it's still better than no arm rest, or an armrest that's too high or too low, which was giving me short-term/immediate arm and shoulder pains.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 18:07:26 »
The thing is that when your hands are on the keys, your arms are moved closer to the center of your body, and they aren't over the armrests from the chair.  So if you are working, you really only use those arm rests when you are leaning or slouching.  Those are both "bad ergonomics" (and of course I do it way more than I should).  You're supposed to be sitting up straight.  Give it a shot.  Just sit properly in the chair with your back in a good posture.  Don't use the mouse/keyboard and just let your arms go limp in your lap.  See where they are?  About six inches inward from the arm rest.

Anyway, we have adjustable trays at the office and they always tilt them at an angle AWAY from you, so the arms are in a slightly downward facing position, which is more natural.  Depending on the person they may recommend normal sized wrist rests, but they usually leave that up to the person.

Offline Appeac

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 23:01:07 »
Just got these at work and I'm a believer! Obviously it's really only useful for putzing around a spreadsheet or something, I still use the G9x for Starcraft, but going from 12 hours a day with my wrist twisted down to 4 is a huge help with my RSI.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board