Author Topic: [GB] Pearl 40% R1 Complete - www.pearlboards.com - Thank you!  (Read 200431 times)

Offline ipreferpie

[GB] Pearl 40% - LIVE until December 1st at www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 22:52:36 »
Can't decide which of the 2 I should get: dark blue, cyan, black and grey. Which would best match keysets like Nautilus, Yuri and Laser? All look so good. And will the polycarbonate plates be bundled to save on shipping?

Offline crcstig

Re: [GB] Pearl 40% - LIVE until December 1st at www.pearlboards.com
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 23:01:04 »
Can't decide which of the 2 I should get: dark blue, cyan, black and grey. Which would best match keysets like Nautilus, Yuri and Laser? All look so good. And will the polycarbonate plates be bundled to save on shipping?
Cyan, imo, would look amazimg with all three of those sets. I went with silver, but may change to cyan. Still conflicted. Cyan looks sick, but silver with the rgb strip. Hmm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Offline energyd

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 23:05:46 »
Cyan, imo, would look amazimg with all three of those sets. I went with silver, but may change to cyan. Still conflicted. Cyan looks sick, but silver with the rgb strip. Hmm.

I think dark blue might go better with Yuri and Nautilus.

Btw, is the rgb underglow pre-soldered?

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 00:37:34 »
I'm in the same boat, I'm tempted by a pearl just because it looks so nice, but 40% just doesn't seem like the right thing for me. I even think i could do a like 50% without a number row, but losing standard keys in the main layout would screw with me.

I'd buy the **** out of a 60% tho. The real question is... any plans for 65% :D.
Understood! And it all depends on how well Pearl does. If its received well, id love to make something truly unique in the 60+ range :]

I won't steer you the wrong way on colors, but yes, the poly diffuser is bundled!

Btw, is the rgb underglow pre-soldered?
Yes it is, you only need to program a key to toggle it for RGB to work.

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 05:30:48 »
I am still hesitating with getting this 40% pearl.. I’m quite afraid I will not like 40%, but I do love the look of this board. Maybe I will wait for 60% pearl (even more with all the nice 60% gb soon with ca66 and m0110!!)
Thank you fox, I'm glad you like the look :) A 40% board, especially a very unique one is gamble if you've never used one. I don't disagree with your hesitation, and while id love to get this out to as many people as I can, my first concern is that you know what you are getting yourself into.

Try a 40 out one day, get a cheap one off mech market and see if its for you! If you love the form factor, Im sure one will find its way to you.

And yea, so many cool 60%'s are available right now! Pretty cool that the market is growing outside of the normal ebay, kbdfans, and standard aluminum square cases. I'm still wanting a Noxary X60 myself, but ill make my dream 60 if Pearl runs well :]

I'm in the same boat, I'm tempted by a pearl just because it looks so nice, but 40% just doesn't seem like the right thing for me. I even think i could do a like 50% without a number row, but losing standard keys in the main layout would screw with me.

I'd buy the **** out of a 60% tho. The real question is... any plans for 65% :D.

Thanks for you answer Kooba!! Indeed I should try a 40% one day. Moving from full to 60% was really a revolution for me, I love 60 (or around 60%) layout, think they are super efficient for what I am doing (mainly code). I am quite afraid that the 40% push it a little too far, especially for code, which would make things less efficient.

And I totally agree with you Amnesia, the thing which bother me the most is loosing the classical layout on the other ray. a 60% without top raw (number) and a split space bar would do very nice. But with this layout I am quite not sure. Even more than this make the fitting of keyset complicated. I have a Budapest SA and Dasher SA on the end which need a keyboard, but I am afraid that they will not fit :( !

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 09:34:53 »
Thanks for you answer Kooba!! Indeed I should try a 40% one day. Moving from full to 60% was really a revolution for me, I love 60 (or around 60%) layout, think they are super efficient for what I am doing (mainly code). I am quite afraid that the 40% push it a little too far, especially for code, which would make things less efficient.

And I totally agree with you Amnesia, the thing which bother me the most is loosing the classical layout on the other ray. a 60% without top raw (number) and a split space bar would do very nice. But with this layout I am quite not sure. Even more than this make the fitting of keyset complicated. I have a Budapest SA and Dasher SA on the end which need a keyboard, but I am afraid that they will not fit :( !
I remember feeling the same way! My first 60's were very hard to get used to, and then i moved down more and it was harder still. In my case, i don't use my 40's to program. They are more for leisurely use! I cant go below TKL for actual software development. I even use the PAUSE button sometimes to see what my terminal scripts are doing. But when I get home, if its bigger than 40% on my desk I don't like it :p

As for the keyset, any ANSI keyset will work. You can take the keys off your 60%'s and cover a Pearl perfectly. Budapest, Dasher, they both work fine. The layout Pearl uses was made specifically for allowing coverage from normal keysets :] The keyset compatibility on a 40% was actually my first checkmark when creating this project.

Offline foxlive

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 12 November 2017, 22:24:57 »

I remember feeling the same way! My first 60's were very hard to get used to, and then i moved down more and it was harder still. In my case, i don't use my 40's to program. They are more for leisurely use! I cant go below TKL for actual software development. I even use the PAUSE button sometimes to see what my terminal scripts are doing. But when I get home, if its bigger than 40% on my desk I don't like it :p

As for the keyset, any ANSI keyset will work. You can take the keys off your 60%'s and cover a Pearl perfectly. Budapest, Dasher, they both work fine. The layout Pearl uses was made specifically for allowing coverage from normal keysets :] The keyset compatibility on a 40% was actually my first checkmark when creating this project.

Being on mac, I enjoyed instantaneously the 60% layout more than tkl or full since I mever used the f keys or page up/down, pause and so on. So the pomer layout was perfect, with caps lock remap to layer acces, and arrow on wasd, I love it. So yeah, 40% could be more for leisure when you don’t really need the full efficiency.

On the keyset side, I need to recheck then, I thought it was tricky with some key but if you say so, this get a problem off  :cool:

Offline SynkRz

• I like caps
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 08:49:35 »
Really happy to have joined this GB :) got my SA Godspeed cockpit, matching USB C cable, and I'm currently waiting for my switch samples to arrive so that I can decide what to use for my build

Offline realxmlforce

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 04:43:51 »
As it seems the PCB doesn't have a button or something else to reset the controller.
So will the PCB be bricked when flashed with misconfigured QMK and e.g. no configured RESET Key?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 09:28:43 »
Being on mac, I enjoyed instantaneously the 60% layout more than tkl or full since I mever used the f keys or page up/down, pause and so on. So the pomer layout was perfect, with caps lock remap to layer acces, and arrow on wasd, I love it. So yeah, 40% could be more for leisure when you don’t really need the full efficiency.

On the keyset side, I need to recheck then, I thought it was tricky with some key but if you say so, this get a problem off  :cool:
I agree, I love my Mac, but I do use the arrow keys a ton. 65% ftw! Definitely give at a second look and see if its not for you ;]

Really happy to have joined this GB :) got my SA Godspeed cockpit, matching USB C cable, and I'm currently waiting for my switch samples to arrive so that I can decide what to use for my build
Wow you are all set! I've got another buddy who also has SA Godspeed ready for his Pearl, its exciting. What switches were you thinking of? Thanks for joining :thumb:

As it seems the PCB doesn't have a button or something else to reset the controller.
So will the PCB be bricked when flashed with misconfigured QMK and e.g. no configured RESET Key?
These pcb's can always be put into bootloader mode if you hold down a certain key while powering on the PCB. I wouldn't bank on it getting bricked, and jetpack should have more on that info in the near future :]

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 14:42:02 »
alright.. which one of you bulk ordered and made me miss being order 69

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #161 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 17:41:58 »
Any update on engraving the order number?  Is that still happening?

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 14:31:55 »
Weight engraving is definitely happening! Been playing with new designs. Thoughts?

Offline energyd

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 14:44:14 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #164 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 15:25:27 »
i like the top one
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 15:29:22 »
Weight engraving is definitely happening! Been playing with new designs. Thoughts?
Show Image

I like 1 personally.

Also i need suggestions on what color aluminum plate to get. I'm getting a purple pearl, but can't decide between a purple, cyan, or green ALU plate. Thoughts?
Getting brass plate as well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 November 2017, 15:32:46 by mr scooty »

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 16:43:39 »
I really enjoy the original design for the weight but I would probably lean more towards #2 if you did indeed change the font. I like either font though so it doesn't matter too much to me  :D

Offline bminhz

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 17:40:57 »
I enjoy the first design as well since it is dead straight center and doesn't have all those clusters surrounding

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 18:35:24 »
You guys are hilarious lmao. I see how it is!

Also i need suggestions on what color aluminum plate to get. I'm getting a purple pearl, but can't decide between a purple, cyan, or green ALU plate. Thoughts?
A green plate would look sick. Red looks pretty sweet too. Id say it all depends on what keyset will go on it. For my Purple Pearl, the red plate and SA Miami combo looks killer when the plate shines through!

And thoughts?!
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 November 2017, 18:42:14 by Koobaczech »

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 18:50:51 »

And thoughts?!
Show Image

I like it tons although I would enjoy a bottom left engraved number though ;) I know I'm a picky little boy!

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 19:06:33 »
I like it tons although I would enjoy a bottom left engraved number though ;) I know I'm a picky little boy!
Fixed it

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 19:10:02 »
Fixed it
Show Image

Ooooo that's nice  :thumb:

I think i like the original cursive font the best as well

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 19:13:14 »
Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. Its ultimately up to you all! :D

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #173 on: Thu, 16 November 2017, 21:07:11 »
Fixed it
Show Image

So how much extra is that :thumb:

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 14:22:12 »
Will in-switch LEDs and RGB leds work together without brightness issues? I'm asking cause I've just assembled UK78 and in-switch LEDs are so dim and setting RGB brightness to max just turns in-switch LEDs off. Ultimately, I guess, it killed the PCB on UK78, so it's bricked right now.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 18:33:51 »
Will in-switch LEDs and RGB leds work together without brightness issues? I'm asking cause I've just assembled UK78 and in-switch LEDs are so dim and setting RGB brightness to max just turns in-switch LEDs off. Ultimately, I guess, it killed the PCB on UK78, so it's bricked right now.
Dang, i can't believe that actually happened. I just tested out a board, full top leds and all the rgb on. Its not bad. If you put the RGB all the way up, id say the top leds shine maybe 6/10 on a brightness scale. Its a nice bright, nothing crazy. But putting the RGB down a bit only slightly dims it, while making the top leds substantially brighter. That seems like a good tradeoff point! I'll make a video of it sometime soon :]

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 08:39:04 »
Screw that, made it 88.

I do hope, that the numbers on the site are actual, cause I've been waiting for 88 for some time to match it with Laser 88 novelty.

DMC-12 forever.

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 12:52:38 »
hey, I ordred through mechkeys.ca because PayPal but at checkout I put in my peasant EU address and I wasn't charged anything for shipping? Is that correct?

cheers

Offline JFKroflcopter

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 13:05:41 »
Screw that, made it 88.

I do hope, that the numbers on the site are actual, cause I've been waiting for 88 for some time to match it with Laser 88 novelty.

DMC-12 forever.

So... I waited to join for the same exact reason lol. What time did you order?

Hopefully the numbers are pretty up-to-date and one of us got it. Best of luck to both of us I guess!
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 November 2017, 13:15:00 by JFKroflcopter »

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 14:36:45 »
Ouch, im sorry guys. JFKroflcopter got #88. I didn't know competition was so fierce! And the order numbers are not accurate, but the form is. Some people have made multiple orders, some people have bought only stickers, plates and PCBS. You can just see what the current orders are at on the form and try to join in at that number. GL.

hey, I ordred through mechkeys.ca because PayPal but at checkout I put in my peasant EU address and I wasn't charged anything for shipping? Is that correct?
Hey bud, thats correct. I'll calculate shipping soon for all the mechkeys.ca orders and invoice you separately!

Thank you guys for joining - Happy late thanksgiving everyone and have a great weekend!

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 15:02:03 »
Damn. Ok, pp transaction says 25 nov 2017 06:36:11 GMT-08:00 and just before paying i've checked Google form and it was 87 pearls purchased. Whatever, congrats JFKroflcopter, I guess my bad luck is here again.

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 15:37:12 »
Damn. Ok, pp transaction says 25 nov 2017 06:36:11 GMT-08:00 and just before paying i've checked Google form and it was 87 pearls purchased. Whatever, congrats JFKroflcopter, I guess my bad luck is here again.
I honestly feel terrible. I wish you would have pm'd me ahead of time or something. Im here for whatever you need you know. And yea :/ Checking the orders, he put his in way early in the AM. I was asleep for both of your orders. :[

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 19:48:18 »

A green plate would look sick. Red looks pretty sweet too. Id say it all depends on what keyset will go on it. For my Purple Pearl, the red plate and SA Miami combo looks killer when the plate shines through!

And thoughts?!
Show Image

from a design perspective, IMO the number should go bottom right just cause it has the most negative space because of the angle of the font and the size of the first letters.

But I think these look good too.

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 03:08:29 »
I honestly feel terrible. I wish you would have pm'd me ahead of time or something. Im here for whatever you need you know. And yea :/ Checking the orders, he put his in way early in the AM. I was asleep for both of your orders. :[

You shouldn't in any way. That's my penalty for hesitation, I've been considering joining and made decision about color for like 6 hours.

Offline Rogerwyf

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 04:10:07 »

And thoughts?!
Show Image

Option to not have a number? :)

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 14:16:28 »
Wow, 95 pearls now. I guess, hunt for #100 is on!

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #186 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 15:05:21 »
thanks for clearing that up! I had another questions, how would I be able to get additional parts such as a 2nd PCB since the mechkeys page just covers the kit and not extra parts with PayPal? Is the only option for extra parts to go through your shopify store with a credit card? cheers

Ouch, im sorry guys. JFKroflcopter got #88. I didn't know competition was so fierce! And the order numbers are not accurate, but the form is. Some people have made multiple orders, some people have bought only stickers, plates and PCBS. You can just see what the current orders are at on the form and try to join in at that number. GL.

Hey bud, thats correct. I'll calculate shipping soon for all the mechkeys.ca orders and invoice you separately!

Thank you guys for joining - Happy late thanksgiving everyone and have a great weekend!

Offline Kalopsia

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 15:49:18 »
I need a 60% of this in my life, two even. Please consider doing a 60% version!

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #188 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 20:19:45 »
from a design perspective, IMO the number should go bottom right just cause it has the most negative space because of the angle of the font and the size of the first letters.
Very good point, ty!

Option to not have a number? :)
Ahhh probably not xD

thanks for clearing that up! I had another questions, how would I be able to get additional parts such as a 2nd PCB since the mechkeys page just covers the kit and not extra parts with PayPal? Is the only option for extra parts to go through your shopify store with a credit card? cheers
Cheers my friend! You can always pm me anything that you need and i can invoice you with an alternate PayPal account ;]

I need a 60% of this in my life, two even. Please consider doing a 60% version!
I definitely will try and work on one if Pearl 40% runs well :D

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 22:27:22 »
Went with Cyan and brass. I was about to order an additional plate and PCB, but with the $60+ shipping, I decided to drop those.

Can't wait! :)
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline RealLaugh

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 00:24:04 »
do you have any photos that you could add to the imgur albums linked in OP of your black pearl with maxkeys orange on dolch set on it? it always seems to be creeping in the background  ;D

Offline SynkRz

• I like caps
« Reply #191 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 02:21:08 »
I know the GB for the Pearl 40% isn’t even over, but I’d definitely consider myself in if there was a GB for a. Pearl 60% :D

Offline Kalopsia

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 04:52:04 »
Is it possible to see a picture with sa Budapest on rose gold?

Offline foxlive

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 05:02:06 »
I know the GB for the Pearl 40% isn’t even over, but I’d definitely consider myself in if there was a GB for a. Pearl 60% :D

I am in the same boat. This pearl design look just amazing, but I cannot resolve to use 40%. But if this go to 60%, I will be the first one to buy!!!

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #194 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 10:55:26 »
Went with Cyan and brass. I was about to order an additional plate and PCB, but with the $60+ shipping, I decided to drop those.
Can't wait! :)
Woot! Hey, if you order them, I will cancel the extra shipping and bundle them with your current order! I'll pm you about it

do you have any photos that you could add to the imgur albums linked in OP of your black pearl with maxkeys orange on dolch set on it? it always seems to be creeping in the background  ;D
Hey buddy, I don't have a black pearl, only gray. I can link some of those pics if you would like and try to photoshop it darker?!

Awesome :]

Is it possible to see a picture with sa Budapest on rose gold?
Im sorry Kalopsia, I don't have either of those in hand x!

I am in the same boat. This pearl design look just amazing, but I cannot resolve to use 40%. But if this go to 60%, I will be the first one to buy!!!
Fox! Awesome hearing that, and thank you very much<3
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:04:29 by Koobaczech »

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:40:04 »
I know it's too early to say, but would this be the only round for the 40%?  Or is round 2 in the future?

I am in this GB, but just wondering if this will be a limited run.

Like others have said, other form factor such as 60%, 65% would be awesome!   :thumb:

Offline crcstig

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:43:42 »
All this talk about the next project, eeck im so excited, I agree, 65% is the dream!

Offline mr scooty

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 11:55:06 »
Am also buying a pearl 40, but I agree, having a matching pearl 60 would be pretty sweet   :p

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 13:58:31 »
I know it's too early to say, but would this be the only round for the 40%?  Or is round 2 in the future?

I am in this GB, but just wondering if this will be a limited run.

Like others have said, other form factor such as 60%, 65% would be awesome!   :thumb:
Hey! Thanks for joining in :] And you know, more rounds would be dictated by you guys and by the quality of this GB. If everything works out but everyone hates Pearl, then no more R2. If it becomes a very popular board with necessary changes and the market isn't saturated by 40%'s, then I can see a R2 happening with more accurate prices and timelines. I'm not in this to make a profit, and I just want to be able to fulfill! Which is why more rounds would for certain be dictated by you guys, and are not planned as of right now!

All this talk about the next project, eeck im so excited, I agree, 65% is the dream!
Am also buying a pearl 40, but I agree, having a matching pearl 60 would be pretty sweet   :p
You are all being too nice! I appreciate the interest in a Pearl 60/65% even when there are so many cool boards already out there in those form factors. Bare with me, lets see how well I can handle this GB, and if things don't go to **** we can all work on the next board together! :thumb:

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 22:08:37 »
I would pass up any larger keyboard pairing for this and vote to have a "side car" 13 key numpad
-Dana