Author Topic: [IC] Command 65 - BT Keyboard with Toggle Switches (GB on 2022.7.21)  (Read 49444 times)

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Command 65
268810-0

Hi guys.
Play Keyboard and Basic I/O Instruments here again.After taking comments from our previous IC post, we now bring in a new and more mature design and renders for you - Command 65.
IC Form
Discord Channel
Instagram

About
Command 65 was inspired by the classic Commodore 64. We love the design and want to add some other elements, like toggle switches you can see from a control panel, Bluetooth, and a more general layout in modern times.
268812-1268814-2
Command 65 is going to be a mold injected plastic keyboard project. Mounting type will be top mounted.

Renders (name plate design is not yet decided)
268816-3268818-4268820-5
268822-6268824-7268826-8

1st 3D Pinted Prototype (2021.6.29)
271450-9271452-10271454-11271456-12271458-13

Toggle Switches
Three toggle switches will be in top right corner: Bluetooth switch, Win/Mac switch, and layer switch (not yet decided).
268828-14

PCB
.QMK/VIA Compatible
.Wire/Wireless

.Hotswappable

Other details to be decided.

Other details:
Price: TBD
Colors: TBD
Plate Material: TBD
As this is a mold injected keyboard project, we want to make sure it meets most people's interests. So this IC might take a while. Please let is know if you have any comment or suggestion.

We will update in first reply if anything is decided. Thanks for the time!
:thumb:

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2022, 08:42:52 by PlayKeyboardTW »

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
Re: [IC] Command 65 - Custom 65% Bluetooth Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 08:46:25 »

Guys. Command 65 is currently in mold manufacturing stage. Here are some renders of different color cases that just came out.
Please leave any comment for us to know your interest, and feel free to suggest other colors you like.
We might have chances to make them come ture in the future. :D
282656-0282658-1282660-2282662-3282664-4
-

Sorry for lacking updates here. We've released some photos and videos in our Discord in past time.
The classic color will match to the original C64 color more comparing to the render showed. And biege will be more biege.
Here are pics of all case colors featuring some keysets.
287167-5287173-6287169-7287171-8
287175-9287177-10

And also a rough typing video as well:
* 676707170.651400.mp4 (1898.1 kB - downloaded 221 times.)

The beep sound was coming from the buzzer, which we just added this feature in PCB. ;D

Hope you guys like it. We are aiminig to do promotion in July.
-

More photos with name plates(prototype as well) with 1st prototype. Featuring SA Amazing Chocolatier.
288088-12288090-13288092-14288095-15288097-16
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2022, 00:18:54 by PlayKeyboardTW »

Offline maybebabe

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 08:58:50 »
Hao Chih

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 09:05:27 »
OOOOHHHHH YEAH!!! this is much better that like-alice layout.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 09:18:13 »
It's a great idea.  The execution of the concept is going to make or break this board.  The plastic will have to be right.  I don't know much about plastic details, but the Bbox60 did it very well.  The plastic they use is simply perfect.  If I ever made a mold injected keyboard, it would be out of that same plastic.  Also, the toggle switches need to nice.  If you get the cheap ones, it will completely ruin the feel and make them seem like a waste of space.

I suggest a rethink/rework of the switches.  I suggest you use 2 toggle switches and then an indicator light.  I would have either a toggle for (power and bluetooth) or a toggle for (bluetooth and layer).  But man, we need an LED on top!  I had a concept I drew up for fun several years ago where the led was red for power and then turned blue when bluetooth was toggled on.  EDIT... found it! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85596.msg2294829#msg2294829 

Everyone is going to ask for QMK/VIA compatibility.  I don't think that's unreasonable.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2021, 10:42:43 by pixelpusher »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 09:19:13 »
Just saw another keyboard  with commodore64 inspiration  and bluetooth   But i wish you the best of luck

May you bring the idea to fruition and may you  make a good product.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Friendship

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 09:24:05 »
InterestingI ill keep an eye on this but is there more data on this? typing angle and effective front height? does it come with the battery or is that something to buy separately? You say this is going to be injection molded, I assume there has to be a big enough demand to satisfy those expensive molds and break point pricing based on quantities can be determined no?
Collection: LZ GHv2, Esheu Fallacy, Moesode Bliss, Daji Ocho Cuatro, Ace Saturn60, Bolsa Midway60, MLI NUM1, MLI VISION, PW ROTR

Offline fcoury

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 10:07:35 »
I am not a 65% guy, but GIB. Really love how this looks.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 10:30:43 »
Vint and BT?? I just lost

Offline brln

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 10:53:21 »
Really cool to see you updated your design according to the previous IC!
Is a hhkb-like spacebar-row a possibility? Just to get closer to that original Commodore64 look? A single spacebar row might be considered too niche..?

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 10:54:51 »
Hao Chih

:p

OOOOHHHHH YEAH!!! this is much better that like-alice layout.

Yeah it's definitely better :D

It's a great idea.  The execution of the concept is going to make or break this board.  The plastic will have to be right.  I don't know much about plastic details, but the Bbox60 did it very well.  The plastic they use is simply perfect.  If I ever made a mold injected keyboard, it would be out of that same plastic.  Also, the toggle switches need to nice.  If you get the cheap ones, it will completely ruin the feel and make them seem like a waste of space.

I suggest a rethink/rework of the switches.  I suggest you use 2 toggle switches and then an indicator light.  I would have either a toggle for (power and bluetooth) or a toggle for (bluetooth and layer).  But man, we need an LED on top!  I had a concept I drew up for fun several years ago where the led was red for power and then turned blue when bluetooth was toggled on.  EDIT... found it! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85596.msg2294829#msg2294829 

Everyone is going to ask for QMK/VIA compatibility.  I don't think that's unreasonable.

Yes it's going to be QMK/VIA compatible. I myself also love the indicator LED. Let's see if we can put it in.

We are planning to do and produce it in Taiwan. We'll have some detailed discussions with the factory about materials.
Of course there's going to be some prototypes to show. :thumb:

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 11:02:58 »
Just saw another keyboard  with commodore64 inspiration  and bluetooth   But i wish you the best of luck

May you bring the idea to fruition and may you  make a good product.

Thanks. We'll be really focusing on making this keyboard perfect. ;D

InterestingI ill keep an eye on this but is there more data on this? typing angle and effective front height? does it come with the battery or is that something to buy separately? You say this is going to be injection molded, I assume there has to be a big enough demand to satisfy those expensive molds and break point pricing based on quantities can be determined no?

We'll release other specs gradually after taking comments/suggestions to do some modifications.

And yes there will be a moq demand. So we hope more people love it.
That way maybe we can do some themes or subjects with it as NK65 does for next rounds. ;)

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 11:07:39 »
I am not a 65% guy, but GIB. Really love how this looks.

Cheers! :thumb:

Vint and BT?? I just lost

As we are cooperating with Scott from BIOI, we want to bring his amazing works on bluetooth to our keyboards. ;)

Really cool to see you updated your design according to the previous IC!
Is a hhkb-like spacebar-row a possibility? Just to get closer to that original Commodore64 look? A single spacebar row might be considered too niche..?

It'll be hard if we bring about this project in mold injection way. So we choose a general layout this time.

We hope Command 65 do well in selling then maybe we can produce it with aluminum by CNC for a pro version.
That way layouts will be more flexible. ;)

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 11:41:29 »
I joined your recent G60BLE Group Buy and now you're tempting me with another nice bluetooth board.   :p

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 11:48:20 »
Oh my...

This is hot af.

Just take my money already would you? :-X

Offline Juan.

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 12:37:57 »
Hi, will this be dirty/dusty and filled with gunk to fit the vintage theme? if so, I will be joining this gb
rubber cup   

Offline Havattack

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 13:06:11 »
The bezels need to be WAY bigger. It just looks a regular sectioned 65% with a Commadore skin. Make it more "Cammadorish" please.

Offline Sshimosawa

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 16:37:25 »
The original c64 (and the caps) are iconic. So in for this. In whatever iteration you guys do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 20:32:38 »
I keep saying to folks how much I liked typing on the original C64, so uh, yeah, I'm hoping this pans out.
I do hope the switch functions would be configurable.
A-a-ron

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 22:27:30 »
I joined your recent G60BLE Group Buy and now you're tempting me with another nice bluetooth board.   :p

:D always nice to see you join us again.

Oh my...

This is hot af.

Just take my money already would you? :-X

:eek: (reach to my pocket)

Hi, will this be dirty/dusty and filled with gunk to fit the vintage theme? if so, I will be joining this gb

That might need an afterward treatment by yourself. :-X

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 22:39:56 »
The bezels need to be WAY bigger. It just looks a regular sectioned 65% with a Commadore skin. Make it more "Cammadorish" please.

We assume you are talking about the top bezel right?
We pretty like the proportion of each side now. If there are others have the same opinion, we will try to edit it. :thumb:

The original c64 (and the caps) are iconic. So in for this. In whatever iteration you guys do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. We'll try our best. :)

I keep saying to folks how much I liked typing on the original C64, so uh, yeah, I'm hoping this pans out.
I do hope the switch functions would be configurable.

As our plan now, apart from BT switch, we are trying to make rest of two configurable. :D

Offline brodiegrizz

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 22:57:10 »
I actually like how this is sleeker and more modern looking than the original

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 May 2021, 22:58:42 »
Same here.  :thumb:
A-a-ron

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 00:38:47 »
I love it! well done  :thumb:

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 04:46:36 »

Same here.  :thumb:

I love it! well done  :thumb:

Appreciate it! :thumb:

Offline andreas

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 07:23:07 »
Great to see more love for the good old Commodore 64.

Good work so far. For feedback I'd like to share my initial feelings upon seeing this:

Command 65 Logo

While the Commodore Logo Type has changed during its lifespan the digits have always remained the same. With a tiny exception of the silver labels, the 64 digits had been set in Eurostile/Microgramma font. To me this is crucial in getting the retro vibe. If the case color is of the original brown then I'd expect the full use of Eurostyle.

Front Bevel/Rounding

The bottom front rounding looks fully cylindrical, actually too much so. The C64s is a little flatter. The fact I'm bringing this up is, your current rounding reminds me more of an IBM Model M than a C64.

Back

The C64 has a slant on its upper housing. I always thought this was quite unique. Also see the front rounding in this image.

Top recesses

The top recesses to the rear seem a little shallow — sort of half way there. I always thought this design element is the most prominent and deserves fine tuning. Also notice the slight angle on the original.

Keycaps

The Cherry/OEMs keycaps don't work for me at all — this is not the face of the C64. In comparisson, the C128 had cylindrical keycaps, making it much more professional/office looking. For me a C64 design needs a high spherical sculpted profile. Current available profile options that may work are MT3 and SA in that order. Maybe check out Jim Drews project on kickstarter.

To me the keycaps are a make or break situation.

I wish you the very best and hope you find this feedback helpful.

Offline andreas

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 08:12:50 »
Hello again,

re-reading my comment I just realized, this was my first post here. I've been just lurking around.

So in order to not come across overly critical I wanted to follow up and link to my post, which was indeed inspired by this GB post here  :)

If you want have a read about my Commodore inspired project: https://www.keebtalk.com/t/hello-and-my-version-of-a-planck-64/14284

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 09:12:15 »
Keycaps

The Cherry/OEMs keycaps don't work for me at all — this is not the face of the C64. In comparisson, the C128 had cylindrical keycaps, making it much more professional/office looking. For me a C64 design needs a high spherical sculpted profile. Current available profile options that may work are MT3 and SA in that order. Maybe check out Jim Drews project on kickstarter.

Notice it is not replica of C64. It's merely inspired. I don't like Mt3, I don't like SA. I like Cherry profile and I am a treeleaf.  I don't mind the appearance  to get a superior typing feel.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline andreas

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 09:42:28 »

Notice it is not replica of C64. It's merely inspired. I don't like Mt3, I don't like SA. I like Cherry profile and I am a treeleaf.  I don't mind the appearance  to get a superior typing feel.

Note taken, thank you. The current design features your preferred feel of a typing experience – in this case, I'm happy for you. In the context of an IC I consider all feedback valuable so I took the liberty to provide mine. And by commenting on my preference you provided indirect feedback on yours, too. Good for the OP.

Happy weekend

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 10:32:45 »
Oh man I'm going to need one of these!!

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 10:43:40 »
omfg I need this

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 14:50:49 »
Looks like the same layout as the CA66?

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:24:16 »
Great to see more love for the good old Commodore 64.

Good work so far. For feedback I'd like to share my initial feelings upon seeing this:

Command 65 Logo

While the Commodore Logo Type has changed during its lifespan the digits have always remained the same. With a tiny exception of the silver labels, the 64 digits had been set in Eurostile/Microgramma font. To me this is crucial in getting the retro vibe. If the case color is of the original brown then I'd expect the full use of Eurostyle.
Show Image

Front Bevel/Rounding

The bottom front rounding looks fully cylindrical, actually too much so. The C64s is a little flatter. The fact I'm bringing this up is, your current rounding reminds me more of an IBM Model M than a C64.
Show Image

Back

The C64 has a slant on its upper housing. I always thought this was quite unique. Also see the front rounding in this image.
Show Image

Top recesses

The top recesses to the rear seem a little shallow — sort of half way there. I always thought this design element is the most prominent and deserves fine tuning. Also notice the slight angle on the original.

Keycaps

I wish you the very best and hope you find this feedback helpful.

Hello again,

re-reading my comment I just realized, this was my first post here. I've been just lurking around.

So in order to not come across overly critical I wanted to follow up and link to my post, which was indeed inspired by this GB post here  :)

If you want have a read about my Commodore inspired project: https://www.keebtalk.com/t/hello-and-my-version-of-a-planck-64/14284

Thanks for the detailed comment.
It's really helpful to us and we are able to clarify some doubts. :D

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:29:10 »

Note taken, thank you. The current design features your preferred feel of a typing experience – in this case, I'm happy for you. In the context of an IC I consider all feedback valuable so I took the liberty to provide mine. And by commenting on my preference you provided indirect feedback on yours, too. Good for the OP.

Happy weekend

We hope we can come out with a final version to meet most people's taste.
And you guys have the responsibility to find your best typing experience. :thumb:

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 20:30:42 »
Oh man I'm going to need one of these!!

Glad you can join us!

A bit difference in bottom row, overall they are quite the same. :)

Offline Havattack

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 21:51:37 »
No, CA66 came with wither HHKb or WKL "like" bottom rows. This is just a very common, 65% layout with segmented sections.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 07:21:44 »
Guys, we will absorb all comments/suggestions this week and come out with our first version prototype.
But as the factory we are working with now in Taiwan, a person had infected COVID-19.
Which means factory will be shut down for a period, and our schedule is going to be delayed. :mad:

We hope you guys are healthy and safe, don't hanging around instead playing keebs at home. ;)

Offline fatalruin

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 09:14:00 »
I would personally pick up one of these if the case was constructed of a thick sturdy plastic (like a model m for instance) and not the thin, cheap polycarb used in all the new "starter" boards that have recently emerged (nk65, kbd67, portico, etc). I would pay for this kind of premium, stand the test of time, case. Otherwise, I'm digging the design as it has both a retro and modern vibe, and it definitely looks inspired by the source material.

Offline ClerklyTexas

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 22 May 2021, 14:55:24 »
This is awesome, and I plan to join the GB.

Is it just me, or does the perspective of the renders look a little weird?

Offline brodiegrizz

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 00:27:16 »

Maybe in some of the pictures. At least in fusion, having camera perspective set to "Orthographic" can cause unrealistic looking line stretches from angles like these. Not sure if its the same idea in rendering programs.

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 23 May 2021, 06:24:13 »

Maybe in some of the pictures. At least in fusion, having camera perspective set to "Orthographic" can cause unrealistic looking line stretches from angles like these. Not sure if its the same idea in rendering programs.

Thanks for clarifying that. :)

Offline PlayKeyboardTW

• Shop
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 00:12:16 »
Guys, we just got price of making a same colorway SA keyset that Commodore 64 has from SP.
The biggest problem will be the production. Now they are already been booked out through October of next year. :-[

Would you guys think making Command 65 and the keyset into the same GB, and ship them separately will be a good idea?
Of course the shipping fee will be charged twice. :-[

Offline bigoldbox

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 00:20:17 »
Guys, we just got price of making a same colorway SA keyset that Commodore 64 has from SP.
The biggest problem will be the production. Now they are already been booked out through October of next year. :-[

Would you guys think making Command 65 and the keyset into the same GB, and ship them separately will be a good idea?

Id rather have them be different GBs personally.

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 00:50:48 »
I'm excited to hear about the keycaps for sure, but I also would be in favor of two separate group buys.
A-a-ron

Offline Necrolegion

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 05:16:06 »
I do not need another 65% but I need this!!!

Offline riterdando

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 11:52:34 »
Coupling Cars and Keyboard will result in a long wait for both. So I prefer to have separat group buys.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Offline Havattack

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 13:08:19 »
I prefer SA, or another retro keycap form (becasue they are the best, objectively speaking... :p) but you could always see about getting them to do another round of these: https://drop.com/buy/buger-hammerworks-crp-c64-dye-subbed-keycap-set?utm_placement=4&referer=BYQRLW&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated%20Daily%20Promotional%202020-11-18&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily%20Promotional&utm_content=1605703769160.346904096140547704123995
I thought they were dope, and I'm still pissed i missed out on them..

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 20:08:22 »

I am fine with delayed shipping of the keycaps and double shipping fee if you can get SP to run SA Retro again (with PETSCII sub legends).

However, you might be able to get some interesting alternatives for less - run it in ASA or OSA double shot and have the PETSCII UV or Pad printed on the front of the caps just like the original C64.

Offline selerica

• ok
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 22:41:23 »
The discord invite had expired, love the board would love more chonk to it tho !

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 02:04:16 »
>OP made zero mention of keycaps
>most of the replies so far are just arguing about keycaps
Am I missing something here?
Get your own keycaps, people!
The main attraction here is the mold injected case WITH a bluetooth-capable controller AND toggle switches. That's huge!