Author Topic: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (GOT SAMPLES!)  (Read 99315 times)

Offline Marutks

Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case [60% + 75%] (NOW: PLATE LAYOUTS)
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 15:17:54 »
I am not part of YAS GB  but I want this case and YAS PCB !

Offline menuhin

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 16:54:00 »
@PlastikSchnittstelle

My wish for For 75% plate:
1. Split-able 2u Backspace key so I can use a HHKB style layout at that top-right corner (Backspace replaces the Backslash key, and 1u Backslash and the 1u Backtick replace the 2u Backspace)
2. Possibility to have a split Spacebar like in the YAS62 (but I can live without one as there is a dedicated Function Keys row).

Edit: I am sure it is possible to have a bottom row like this: [1.25u 1.25u 1.25u 6.25u 1.5u 1.5u 1u 1u 1u] for the 75%, it's just a combination of a few options.

Savor of my top-mounted board dream..!
Please do it slow and surely and accurately, so poor boys like me can have enough time to save up enough money when you demand it! Thanks for your effort.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:16:35 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline DarKou

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 17:18:33 »
quick update regarding HHKB.
Until now I wasn't aware, that also 6U "true HHKB" isn't hard to do. there are PCBs for that available too, like the DZ60 for example. btw here is the link to a really nice keycap GB which is especially tailored to HHKB: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92210.0
so for all who are interested in an HHKB version, please let me know which would be more to your liking, 7U or 6U:

6U please

Offline Marutks

Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (NOW: PLATE LAYOUTS)
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 07:45:38 »
I want this layout * 60YAS-Nr03 6.25U ANSI.png  but with split Left Shift if possible.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 09:25:53 »
Until now I wasn't aware, that also 6U "true HHKB" isn't hard to do. there are PCBs for that available too, like the DZ60 for example. btw here is the link to a really nice keycap GB which is especially tailored to HHKB: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92210.0
so for all who are interested in an HHKB version, please let me know which would be more to your liking, 7U or 6U:

When I am definitely going to get the YAS62 case and the 75% case (still don't have money yet at this moment of typing this message), I am split if I should get a 3rd case which will be either a HHKB-7u space or a HHKB-6u space.
To me the 'HHKB' with 7u spacebar is more symmetrical and therefore is prettier. But it is less ergonomic than the "true HHKB", i.e. HHKB with 6u spacebar because in a true HHKB the modifier keys on the spacebar row are designed to be accessed by the thumbs. Having a shorter, e.g. 6u or even shorter spacebar will facilitate accessing these spacebar row modifiers with thumbs and minimize hand movements while having a spacebar too long will make it harder to access those keys with the thumbs. And the philosophy of HHKB design is also that the user should not use the pinkies to access the lower corner keys as the movement is uncomfortable and unnatural from the home-position normal typing movements, and therefore the design decided to leave those spaces empty instead.
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (NOW: PLATE LAYOUTS)
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 15:09:14 »
Is there a new form or do we just post regarding layout choices?

Offline PlastikSchnittstelle

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 19:37:08 »

there will be a new form for the layouts.
but I posted all those layouts ahead because I want to know from you if the choices are OK. maybe I've left out very important ones or something just doesn't make sense. just wanted to get some feedback before the actual form. this way I just want to make sure the form will make sense and not cause confusion.

according to the first feedback, I can already tell, that I'll need to include the 2x1U instead of 1x2U backspace for 75% and the short left shift for ANSI YAS.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 November 2017, 19:46:02 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 19:42:43 »

When I am definitely going to get the YAS62 case and the 75% case (still don't have money yet at this moment of typing this message), I am split if I should get a 3rd case which will be either a HHKB-7u space or a HHKB-6u space.
To me the 'HHKB' with 7u spacebar is more symmetrical and therefore is prettier. But it is less ergonomic than the "true HHKB", i.e. HHKB with 6u spacebar because in a true HHKB the modifier keys on the spacebar row are designed to be accessed by the thumbs. Having a shorter, e.g. 6u or even shorter spacebar will facilitate accessing these spacebar row modifiers with thumbs and minimize hand movements while having a spacebar too long will make it harder to access those keys with the thumbs. And the philosophy of HHKB design is also that the user should not use the pinkies to access the lower corner keys as the movement is uncomfortable and unnatural from the home-position normal typing movements, and therefore the design decided to leave those spaces empty instead.

just because so many of you praise the hhkb layout so highly, I'm now considering one for myself as well. just wanna find out if I can actually get along with it (I still doubt it). I'm also torn between symmetry (7U) and ergonomics (6U).

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 20:15:47 »
I just updated the opening post with new renderings of the 75% version.
There you also see another screw version, which someone pointed out to me. These ones (not the M3 version in the pic):
(Attachment Link)
I totally fell in love with them!

My preference is for countersunk head, but it's your decision ultimately.

One thing I would like you to consider though, is to add stepped caps support. It's a relatively small change (0.25u extension to the capslock cutout), is low key enough that it will still look good on any plate, and there's bound to be at least a few chaps here in the enthusiast community who prefer stepped caps to normal capslock (but then again perhaps I'm just projecting my own preferences here)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

[IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Standard, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (NOW: PLATE LAYOUTS)
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 20:27:12 »
One thing I would like you to consider though, is to add stepped caps support. It's a relatively small change (0.25u extension to the capslock cutout), is low key enough that it will still look good on any plate, and there's bound to be at least a few chaps here in the enthusiast community who prefer stepped caps to normal capslock (but then again perhaps I'm just projecting my own preferences here)

Of course!
Look here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92403.msg2526993#msg2526993

Yes, it’s hard to keep track.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 November 2017, 20:35:30 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline mike-y

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 20:55:59 »
I have a cheap Drevo/Keycool 75% keyboard, and was thinking the other day how I really don't like the thin plastic the case is made out of.  The SKB75 would totally fix that! 

count me in for a 75% :D

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
Re: [IC] SKBXX Aluminium Keyboard Case [60% + 75%] (2nd Google Form up)
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 00:12:25 »
I'm part of the 48%, quite a high number to ignore imho. The benefits of steel over aluminum is numerous and personally i dont mind the shine and wouldnt there be an option to coat the steel plate?

coating the steel plate black would of course be possible. BUT: the added layer of coating might make it pretty difficult to get the switches in - I'd like to avoid possible problems like this.
also, I think that steel is very important when u have a universal plate with lots of big cutouts. there the higher strength of steel is very much needed. but since I'll offer specialized/non-unified plates AND my plate has a pretty wide border cause of it being top-mount, alu should be absolutely fine.

and: 52.1% VS 47.9%

Eh, I think it is a talk for the case material, turns out to be plate lol (I still do want the SS case tho :p). Powder Coat only adds about 30 microns though, I usually add 0,05mm for the kerf if I want it to be coated. Honestly, without the addition of the kerf, it works just fine.

Btw, I'm thinking about the more symmetrical layout which centered to the keycaps above, 6.25u HHKB (7u is centered but to the case which I find quite odd when seeing the keycaps above it).

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 01:22:58 »

there will be a new form for the layouts.
but I posted all those layouts ahead because I want to know from you if the choices are OK. maybe I've left out very important ones or something just doesn't make sense. just wanted to get some feedback before the actual form. this way I just want to make sure the form will make sense and not cause confusion.

according to the first feedback, I can already tell, that I'll need to include the 2x1U instead of 1x2U backspace for 75% and the short left shift for ANSI YAS.

Got it Thank you.

+1 for split backspace support on all layouts.

Personall much prefer the split and I believe it should be featured in all layouts as it doesn’t mess up the plate too much.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 06:48:45 »
Hope this gb is still aiming to be affordable like when it first started.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 15:44:46 »

Of course!
Look here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92403.msg2526993#msg2526993

Yes, it’s hard to keep track.

Whoops missed that somehow

Offline Marutks

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 16:03:09 »
I changed my mind.  I want this layout  * 60YAS-Nr01 6.00U ANSI.     I hope it supports split backspace.   

Offline Marutks

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 07:36:28 »
Sunken screws would be better of course.   Screws in 75% look like typing would end up with finger injuries.

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 07:39:10 »
Sunken screws would be better of course.   Screws in 75% look like typing would end up with finger injuries.

Well you're sh!t out of luck cause he is in love with those Frankenstein bolts.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 07:52:13 »
I used to be on the counter sunk screws Side of things, but the other screw types kinda grew on me tbh.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 08:06:34 »
I used to be on the counter sunk screws Side of things, but the other screw types kinda grew on me tbh.

screw types screw on me!
More
IBM M13 black
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT

Offline Data

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 11:11:52 »
I'm like 99% guaranteed buy on that 75%.

Edit: I dig the screws too.  Low-pro button heads are my fav.  :-*
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 November 2017, 11:15:33 by Data »

Offline clee

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 02:29:28 »

I'm in for the 6U version for sure, but not the 7U.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #172 on: Tue, 05 December 2017, 14:13:52 »
ANY CHANCE we could get a Katana60 layout? or at least a plateless variant, so I can use my own?

Offline garbo

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 09:44:33 »

Since a couple of people have posted in support of the contrary, I'd like to put a vote in for 7u. I prefer the symmetry (and would personally require it for keycap compatibility in this instance even if I didn't).

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 11:14:11 »
Hi I'm back,
sorry for not posting for some time now. I just didn't want to bore you with more "maybe" stuff. Also this has been much more time-consuming that I had imagined it to be before I started this. Just can't dedicate 100% of my lifetime for this.
Now enough whining, I got some new info. Not everything is jet sorted out to actually start the GB phase but we are getting there.

It will be bead-blasted:

As you know the prototype is just anodized. You can still see a lot of marks and the "direction" of the sheet. Also fingerprints are very visible.
Bead-blasting before anodizing gives a much nicer surface finish and that is something you would expect when you pay 100+ for a keyboard case. Without the finish this would probably become a big point to complain about after you get it.
Of course that adds cost but not terribly much.

No countersunk screws:

Yes - some of you may have seen this as part of the overall charm when you saw the first renderings. Don't know how to put this in englisch, let's say countersunk might be a little error-prone. The holes are pre-cut by the laser. This means there can't be no precise mark for putting the drill down. It probably won't be a problem 90% of the time but I'd like to avoid potential problems as much as possible.
Also, many of you like other screws and not going with countersunk means you can choose from a variety of different screws afterwards.

Order step size:

Don't wanna bore you with too much details and why but there will be a fixed amount of orders. The minimum order to reach would roughly be:
46 x 60% (including the various versions)
26 x 75%

if there is more interest, then we will have to reach exactly double the amount:
92 x 60% (including the various versions)
52 x 75%

after that it would be:
138 x 60% (including the various versions)
78 x 75%

I can alter the ratio of 60% to 75% cases according to demand.

Pricing:

If you have followed this from the start, then you know that at the beginning this was meant to lead to a classic group buy: one bottom-part, one top-part, one uni-plate. That is what the initial pricing is referring to.
Then I mentioned my wish to deliver not just one universal plate but different and more customized plates to give just better plates. Then I gave in to the wishes for TKL, HHKB and even 75%. That leads to many different parts with probably less high individual order quantity. Everyone who knows a bit about production, knows that this is more expensive. The combined order of all the different versions together instead of splitting them up into separate GB-runs can compensate a bit but not so much.
It is also absolutely impossible for me to name a specific price due to the fact that the order will consist of many different parts and the exact amount of each of those parts I can only tell until after GB is up and actual orders are in. Only then the factory will calculate a price. Together with the factory I tried to narrow down a price range. The final price will be somewhere in that range, also depending on the order step size of course.
That range is:
120 - 180 (in Euro)
This is a very conservative estimate - I'm pretty sure it will end up in the lower spectrum of the range.

Next:

I will hopefully soon put up the google form where you can choose you preferred layout. Based on the outcome I will then determine which layouts will get a dedicated plate and which ones will be combined into a unified plate.

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 06 December 2017, 11:37:38 »
ANY CHANCE we could get a Katana60 layout? or at least a plateless variant, so I can use my own?

I hate to say no to anyone but I have to. I can't divide it up an further, would drive up the price even more.
Sorry, no katana60 :(

Offline Marutks

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 07:02:12 »
Also fingerprints are very visible.

why?   http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=580/how-to-finish-aluminum/ 
Ultra fine glass beads produce a soft appearance similar to Apple’s Macbook:

Macbooks don't attract fingerprints.

Offline pomk

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 07:14:13 »

You just don’t see them if the finish is not dark enough.

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 07:37:25 »

maybe there is a misunderstanding.
the prototype (which I'm using since quite some time now) was not bead-blasted before the anodizing. fingerprints are quite visible there.
to avoid this and to get an overall higher quality finish, the case will be bead-blasted.

I think bead blasted finishes don't show fingerprints regardless if the afterwards anodize is of dark or light color. I think that's due to the roughness of the surface.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 07:45:04 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline Marutks

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 07:50:40 »
Thanks for clarifying. I hope this GB starts soon.    :thumb:

Re: [IC] SKBXX Alu Case [60% Std, WKL, HHKB, YAS + 75%] (plate layout form up)
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 10:35:44 »
finally I've put together the 3rd form. there you can choose which layout you would like to have.

LINK

just edited the form quickly. now there is also an option to say "No" to the versions you don't want. for example like when you just want an HHKB style case but not the standard 60 and not WKL and not YAS nor 75%. before you had to make at least one layout choice for each of the different versions.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 11:03:30 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 11:31:05 »
In for a 75%. Would prefer to have a universal plate with flexible bottom row but will settle for standard ISO with 7u spacebar and 1.5u mods if we're not doing universal plates

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 08 December 2017, 11:39:15 »
In for a 75%. Would prefer to have a universal plate with flexible bottom row but will settle for standard ISO with 7u spacebar and 1.5u mods if we're not doing universal plates

of course not everybody can get a plate which supports only exactly the one layout he wants. the form should determine the most popular versions - these will get e dedicated/non-unified plate. the rest will be combined in a plate with a more unified layout.

this way I hope to be able to provide the majority with a really awesome plate (hopefully the form will show clear winners).
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 December 2017, 11:41:56 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline pomk

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 04:32:53 »

I think bead blasted finishes don't show fingerprints regardless if the afterwards anodize is of dark or light color. I think that's due to the roughness of the surface.

True, if the surface diffuses light in the same way as fingerprint grease does.

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 17:27:08 »
just to keep you updated:
I'm doing the plates the last days. Damn I gotta tell you there is a lot I didn't had a clue of. but don't worry, there is nothing difficult about it. it's just getting to know and comfortable with it.

Offline Data

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 07:10:57 »
Voted 75% Layout #1.

Media blasting seems like the way to go.  :thumb:

Offline Draic

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 07:38:06 »
Why are there only split spacebar options with YAS tops but not with HHKBs?

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 16:29:32 »
So the last days I was doing the plates. I have to admit that there was a lot I wasn't aware of. I'll try to keep it short.

Let's start with the layouts. As you know, I don't like it when plates get flimsy because too many layouts got unified. Now I realize, that combining the most common layouts possible with a GH60 PCB, the plate actually doesn't look that bad. So to stick to my promise I decided to do separate ANSI and ISO plates for the standard 60% - that seems to be the best possible solution to give you a solid plate.
Next is stabilizers. I have to admit I wasn't aware that combining plate & pcb mount stabs isn't gonna work - at least not if you want the plate mount stabs to fit tightly. The plate for the prototype was made for one specific layout, so I didn't had to think about that at the time. Now I know, that there is a reason why so many of you voted for PCB mount stabs in the first poll - they are basically the only option if your plate is not 100% on single layout. So I googled a lot about pcb mount stabs, took apart an old G80 to get genuine cherry pcb stabs, measured them and scratched my head again. Trying not to elaborate too much right now, so one point I didn't like about pcb stabs was the fact, that if you screw up something with the stabs during your build, or even forget to put them in completely (you know stuff like that happens even to the best of us), well that you have to unsolder every single switch. So I'm wasn't quite happy having to make a pcb mount stab plate, knowing to cause quite some drama down the road if the stabs are not set up perfectly from the very beginning. But all of a sudden a unicorn turned up in wodan's backyard. Its poop revealed some quite interesting details. That old nixie plate has some really big cutouts around the stabs. Seeing that made perfect sens to me, its bigger cutouts make it possible to get the pcb stabs out afterwards and only one switch would have to be unsoldered. So I decided to go for big cutouts around the stabs.
Maybe that is something some of you were already aware of - I wasn't and now I told you the story how I found out about it :)
If the cutouts are actually big enough for removing the pcb mount stabs is something I can't guarantee, I'll investigate more to make sure.
Now the different plates I came up with so far. ANSI and ISO separated for GH60 PCBs. For YAS the bottom row options are so many I had to make two different plates otherwise we'd get just one huge cutout for the whole bottom row. I even dumped some unlikely layouts - lesser but better. The lower request for YAS doesn't justify ANSI/ISO separation. 75% has to get a unified plate. Not a bad thing in this case because there aren't too many options anyway. I dumped the option for the L-nav-cluster, I guess everyone is fine with that.
Made some graphics, assigning the possible layouts to the different plates. Only the layouts most obvious to me are shown, of course some more mixtures of those are possible, you get it.
Also, cause the case inside offers much space for the plate it has more surface area at the sides, giving it even more strength. Especially plates for tray mount cases suffer from the tiny space at the sides.
Enough, here are the plates. Nothing fixed as of now of course, changes may come, what do you think?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 December 2017, 17:42:32 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 16:34:44 »

HHKB with split spacebar?
which commonly available PCB would support that?
I can look into it, maybe it's possible without messing up the plate.

---

btw,
the last form shows the 7U hhkb far ahead of the 6U. that's why you see the plate supporting only 7U, not 6U at the moment.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 02:49:33 »
Plates look great as far as I can tell!

Really like the choices that were made so I’m down  =)

Offline hndle

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 12:45:32 »
 really good :-*

Offline Data

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 07:46:17 »
Plates look amazing.

Offline pomk

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 15 December 2017, 08:39:54 »

HHKB with split spacebar?
which commonly available PCB would support that?
I can look into it, maybe it's possible without messing up the plate.

---

btw,
the last form shows the 7U hhkb far ahead of the 6U. that's why you see the plate supporting only 7U, not 6U at the moment.
Banana split could be used for split space HHKB, if the blockers are for the 7U space HHKB layout.

« Reply #193 on: Sun, 17 December 2017, 16:18:05 »
Back with another small update!

Took a look at the banana split pcb. Actually I had considered joining the gb but didn't cause I had already joined YAS at the time. Since Draic asked and because banana split seems to be quite successful, I added split spacebar support to the ISO and ANSI plates.

Regarding YAS support. I'd really like to offer two separate YAS plates but doing four different plates just for the 60% versions is just too much. It would drive the price up significantly although the demand for YAS doesn't justify it. So I had to unite the YAS options into one plate (only YAS 7U spacebar version not supported, and one other, not sure which now). With that came the possibility to use some more banana layouts with this same plate as well and also layouts from the DZ60 pcb (more split spacebars and dedicated arrow clusters). Some but not specifically all possibilities are shown in the new graphics.

Fixed some errors in the plates as well :)
Since there weren't any other complaints nor suggestions regarding the plates, I think there isn't that much left to do now. Approaching GB status!

This is how it looks right now:
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 December 2017, 16:25:37 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 03:04:16 »
Honestly I’m not a fan of the new YAS plates, but it’s better then no YAS support so I keep telling my self I’m ok with it.

Honestly I think it would make more sense to combine the regular Ansi and ISO 60 Plates, since
a) only enter & left shift need to be combined
b) this wouldn’t result in huge cutouts
c) this would allow to use iso enter combined with full left shift
d) this is commonly done and was already done for the 75% plates

I can definitely understand the reasoning behind reducing part count as much as possible.
However the new yas plate is kinda pushing to the point where lots of people including me might be put off by the huge cutouts.

Could you by any chance supply the files for the old yas plates pretty please so we can source our own ?

Offline Marutks

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 05:07:19 »
cutouts are HUUUGE

Offline Draic

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 07:06:54 »
I like the case design, but as someone who does not want 7u spacebars the plate options are not my cup of tea, but I have that problem with a lot of cases and I know I am a minority. Unlike most I would love to see other cases that offer true HHKB layout (6u but I can understand sticking with 6,25 for compatibility) instead of going for symmetrical blockers (I know there is the Tina A, but nothing else).

GL anyways
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 December 2017, 07:17:10 by Draic »

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 09:51:53 »
Honestly I’m not a fan of the new YAS plates, but it’s better then no YAS support so I keep telling my self I’m ok with it.

Honestly I think it would make more sense to combine the regular Ansi and ISO 60 Plates, since

I can definitely understand the reasoning behind reducing part count as much as possible.
However the new yas plate is kinda pushing to the point where lots of people including me might be put off by the huge cutouts.

Could you by any chance supply the files for the old yas plates pretty please so we can source our own ?

I feel with you. I'm in for two YAS pcb's myself and would be happier with a more specified plate for it as well. The thing is, based on the forms I estimate YAS orders somewhere around 20. Making two different plates for only that much is just insane.

The standard plates look really good and enable a lot of popular layouts like standard 1.25U bottom row, 7U spacebar, WKL and HHKB - these combined have by far the highest request. Integrating split spacebar support was not a problem.

a-d) all valid arguments. I have to admit I might have misjudged the whole "super-special-dedicated" plate thing I brought up. After all I haven't read one comment that expressed excitement about ANSI/ISO separation (tbh there is one). But even If I combined ANSI/ISO, that still wouldn't justify two separate YAS plates for roughly 20 people.

Also the requests for banana and DZ60 arrow-cluster layouts came up. Neither of the two can be combined with the standard plates, since their arrow-clusters would mess up the plate. Making one plate that combines most of the YAS layouts already results in huge cutouts. So bringing it banana/DZ60 arrow-cluster support doesn't make it a lot worse - since it already is. However I think that the wider frame of the plate helps a lot in terms of stability.

Another solution would be to offer just one of the two YAS plates I showed previously, so drop more than half of the YAS options and also drop banana/DZ60 arrow-cluster support entirely.

Of course I will post the DXF for the plate, so anyone who wishes will be able to make his own. But I will only post it when it's 100% sure that no more changes will happen, otherwise different versions might float around.

I'll have to make a choice soon, can't let this drag on for ever. I'd really appreciate some more feedback.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 December 2017, 09:54:30 by PlastikSchnittstelle »

« Reply #198 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 10:00:11 »
I like the case design, but as someone who does not want 7u spacebars the plate options are not my cup of tea, but I have that problem with a lot of cases and I know I am a minority. Unlike most I would love to see other cases that offer true HHKB layout (6u but I can understand sticking with 6,25 for compatibility) instead of going for symmetrical blockers (I know there is the Tina A, but nothing else).

GL anyways

the standard plates do support 7U and 6.25U spacebars - just like most other plates. now the 6.25U spacebar can even be split - like you asked for. but I can't offer a 6 or 6.25 HHKB top-case-part. sorry, according to the form 7U HHKB leads by far.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 10:13:40 »

I feel with you. I'm in for two YAS pcb's myself and would be happier with a more specified plate for it as well. The thing is, based on the forms I estimate YAS orders somewhere around 20. Making two different plates for only that much is just insane.

The standard plates look really good and enable a lot of popular layouts like standard 1.25U bottom row, 7U spacebar, WKL and HHKB - these combined have by far the highest request. Integrating split spacebar support was not a problem.

a-d) all valid arguments. I have to admit I might have misjudged the whole "super-special-dedicated" plate thing I brought up. After all I haven't read one comment that expressed excitement about ANSI/ISO separation (tbh there is one). But even If I combined ANSI/ISO, that still wouldn't justify two separate YAS plates for roughly 20 people.

Also the requests for banana and DZ60 arrow-cluster layouts came up. Neither of the two can be combined with the standard plates, since their arrow-clusters would mess up the plate. Making one plate that combines most of the YAS layouts already results in huge cutouts. So bringing it banana/DZ60 arrow-cluster support doesn't make it a lot worse - since it already is. However I think that the wider frame of the plate helps a lot in terms of stability.

Another solution would be to offer just one of the two YAS plates I showed previously, so drop more than half of the YAS options and also drop banana/DZ60 arrow-cluster support entirely.

Of course I will post the DXF for the plate, so anyone who wishes will be able to make his own. But I will only post it when it's 100% sure that no more changes will happen, otherwise different versions might float around.

I'll have to make a choice soon, can't let this drag on for ever. I'd really appreciate some more feedback.

Thx for the detailed reply Plastik.

I definitely understand the situation, I know there is most likely not enough YAS boards out there to justify two plates.
(To be fair I’m definitely going to buy multiple cases no matter what)

I just really wish cutouts wouldn’t have to be this huge even if it’s unrealistic.

I also understand combining ansi/iso wouldn’t make sense from a numbers perspective but from an balance/asthetics standpoint.

I’m definitely in no matter what the plates look like!
Would love to get the plate files afterwards so custom option can be made, so huge thx for that!
(I might do some polycarb 60 plates for zeal 60pcb incase someone wants one =))