Author Topic: Looking for a wooden 60% wrist rest. Is anyone familiar with this one?  (Read 7027 times)

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
I found this one which looks pretty promising but I've never seen anyone on here nor on reddit with one so I have no idea what the actual quality is like.

More pictures can be found if you scroll down on this page. The picture above is the TKL version and not the 60% version btw.

The other option I have is the Royal Glam one which I've only managed to find for sale on some Myanmar website.
So does anyone here own the Heart wrist rest or know someone who does? If so then what's the quality like?
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Looking for a wooden 60% wrist rest. Is anyone familiar with this one?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 October 2015, 18:36:11 »
I don't know anything about that particular rest, but I can tell you there are a number of people who make custom wood wrists rests that you can find in the Artisan sub forum (full disclosure, that includes myself).

One thing though, I'd avoid the Royal Glam ones. Those do not get very good reviews.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 22:39:18 »
So someone enlighten me to wood.  I thought they were supposed to be soft on your hands?

Offline localredhead

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:45:46 »
So someone enlighten me to wood.  I thought they were supposed to be soft on your hands?

I think the idea is more for ergonomics than cushiness.  Its just placing your wrists in a better spot for ergonomic typing - AFAIK you should be resting your wrists minimally, if at all.  Certainly not while typing.  Thats just proper form... again AFAIK.

This is actually why I take issue with kinesis advantage keyboards because they seem to encourage the user to rest their wrists all the time.  For me I had symptoms in my left wrists (the one not using my mouse) that were RSI or even leading to carpal issues.  I have 2 kinesis and the pain went away as soon as I switched to my KBP V60.  The pain was from simply resting my wrist on a gel pad

Long story short... I think the wooden rests are fine ergonomically and probably suitable from a comfort level if used correctly.

Note:  I don't currently own a wrist rest for my 60% but i'm thinking about it.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:14:04 »

I think the idea is more for ergonomics than cushiness.  Its just placing your wrists in a better spot for ergonomic typing - AFAIK you should be resting your wrists minimally, if at all.  Certainly not while typing.  Thats just proper form... again AFAIK.

This is actually why I take issue with kinesis advantage keyboards because they seem to encourage the user to rest their wrists all the time.  For me I had symptoms in my left wrists (the one not using my mouse) that were RSI or even leading to carpal issues.  I have 2 kinesis and the pain went away as soon as I switched to my KBP V60.  The pain was from simply resting my wrist on a gel pad

Long story short... I think the wooden rests are fine ergonomically and probably suitable from a comfort level if used correctly.

Note:  I don't currently own a wrist rest for my 60% but i'm thinking about it.
Makes sense.  I'm surprised to hear that the kinesis was that bad for you.  Did it ever get to the point you had rsi, or could you just feel it starting?

Offline Frizer

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 06:24:25 »
I've tried a few different wooden ones (KB Paradise, Royal Glam and Filco).

For me the Filco are best, the only other ones I'm interested in trying are the HHKB ones.

Offline sitch

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:06:16 »
Well I owned a royal glam 60% wrist rest, all I can advice is AVOID water damage  :'(

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:27:51 »
Well I owned a royal glam 60% wrist rest, all I can advice is AVOID water damage  :'(
Ouch!  Was it a spill that ruined it?  Are these not finished and sealed?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:50:06 »
*inanis gets on soapbox*

Those Royal Glam cases and rests are notorious for their poor finishing. They don't even sand them properly. It is a waste of wood on almost every level.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 15:17:42 »
*inanis gets on soapbox*

Those Royal Glam cases and rests are notorious for their poor finishing. They don't even sand them properly. It is a waste of wood on almost every level.
Ouch!

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:37:01 »
I ended up ordering a Heart wrist rest. It should be here in a couple of weeks so I'll post some pictures/impressions of it then.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..

Offline Frizer

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 05:10:11 »
Well it does looks attractively finished and the price is low enough to warrant a suck it and see.
Will be interested to hear your opinion.

Offline sitch

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 06:52:41 »

actually no, i meant water damage from the sweat. I think we are require to apply some oil or something to keep it in good condition but I didnt do it.. Now I think I'm going to order the same wrist rest showed by OP, it comes with free engraving of maximum 5 Chinese character and cost like around 12-15$ converted

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 11:54:28 »

actually no, i meant water damage from the sweat. I think we are require to apply some oil or something to keep it in good condition but I didnt do it.. Now I think I'm going to order the same wrist rest showed by OP, it comes with free engraving of maximum 5 Chinese character and cost like around 12-15$ converted
Ah, then it's an unsealed wood, which would need tung oil applied to keep it ok.  Or you could just sand it and seal it up and not worry.

Offline mrgoldenzombie

• Topre is cool I guess....
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:31:29 »
Looks neat
O-Ringed Black RealForce 87u  | O-Ringed Novatouch with Miami PBT

Offline Frizer

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 05:37:24 »
This is the HHKB one, much more expensive.

The description shows the various types: http://r.ebay.com/gD29zx

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 20:43:49 »
I ended up ordering a Heart wrist rest. It should be here in a couple of weeks so I'll post some pictures/impressions of it then.
A couple of weeks turned out to be six weeks.

I'll post a review and some better pictures of it tomorrow.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:03:07 »
Interesting. Excited for your review :)

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus