Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1248924 times)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #4750 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 11:41:54 »
I'm using some box navies for typing at home, but I still don't mind using even Cherry MX Red. Browns just feel terrible to me, and aren't tactile enough to be worth being tactile at all in light of this. I certainly haven't tried lubed ones though.

Again, they're only really meant to be barely noticeably tactile, since they were originally designed as an "ergo" option.  Lubing them or just wearing them in for a few months makes them much nicer to use though.

Exactly this. A lot of people seem to miss the point of MX browns. They aren't meant to be the most tactile thing in the world nor the smoothest (blame cherry molds for that), but properly tuned/lubed they're some of the nicest switch for typists with good form.

I understanding disliking MX browns if you've tried all the popular switches plus their tuned/lubed counterparts, at that point it's just personal preference. It is, however, a bit sad to see people bash brown switches just because they're readily available and not as tactile as some other existing switches (and somehow, making them bad? lol).
I genuinely know linear switches that are more tactile than MX Brown.

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4751 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 11:43:23 »
Also, here's an unpopular opinion.

Alps whites are too tactile and too heavy.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4752 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 12:04:32 »
Also, here's an unpopular opinion.

Alps whites are too tactile and too heavy.

Never had the pleasure to feel Alps whites yet, though I have repeatedly looked at getting boards with them. They say they're basically equivalent to blues, just less smooth/refined as iterative changes went into place. I quite like blues, and actually consider them to be a nice moderate switch both in terms of tactility and weight, when compared to things like Box Navies. If white alps is too heavy, I imagine that's doubly so for membrane buckling springs.

What's your Goldilocks zone then?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4753 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 13:10:31 »
I'm using some box navies for typing at home, but I still don't mind using even Cherry MX Red. Browns just feel terrible to me, and aren't tactile enough to be worth being tactile at all in light of this. I certainly haven't tried lubed ones though.

Again, they're only really meant to be barely noticeably tactile, since they were originally designed as an "ergo" option.  Lubing them or just wearing them in for a few months makes them much nicer to use though.

Exactly this. A lot of people seem to miss the point of MX browns. They aren't meant to be the most tactile thing in the world nor the smoothest (blame cherry molds for that), but properly tuned/lubed they're some of the nicest switch for typists with good form.

I understanding disliking MX browns if you've tried all the popular switches plus their tuned/lubed counterparts, at that point it's just personal preference. It is, however, a bit sad to see people bash brown switches just because they're readily available and not as tactile as some other existing switches (and somehow, making them bad? lol).
I genuinely know linear switches that are more tactile than MX Brown.

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment

chyros moment
That's a thing? xD
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4754 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 13:26:44 »
That's a thing? xD

I would probably call it more of a Chyrosism. Some sort of low-key, almost passive aggressive, witty swipe at MX Browns in particular.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4755 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 14:07:01 »
This thread has made me positive that I am the bizzaro-world Chyros.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4756 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 14:16:13 »
This thread has made me positive that I am the bizzaro-world Chyros.

Anakin hated sand as well, whereas Kenobi went to live on Tatooine the rest of his life. Perhaps you're Obi Wan Kenobi.

Offline mode

« Reply #4757 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 15:24:31 »
This thread has made me positive that I am wrong

Checks out :P

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4758 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 15:47:41 »
This thread has made me positive that I am wrong

Checks out :P

Being a Chyros stan isn't cute lad >:(

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4759 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 17:13:05 »
That's a thing? xD

I would probably call it more of a Chyrosism. Some sort of low-key, almost passive aggressive, witty swipe at MX Browns in particular.
Low-key?! Damn,sounds like I need to up my game .

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4760 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 17:54:58 »
That's a thing? xD

Low-key?! Damn,sounds like I need to up my game
Show Image

Perhaps nonchalant or matter of fact would be more appropriate descriptor than low-key.

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #4761 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 22:33:24 »
I'm sure this has been said a million times maybe, but I'm new. I don't get artisans. And I'm not talking about the koi pond ones or galaxy ones, or like that cool snow globe one that was a group buy around Christmas. I'm talking the ones where it's just a face of something, like an animal or monster, and it's those same faces/same molds, but just a different color to match. I don't get it. I understand wanting a novelty key that matches your keyboard, but those face ones just don't look that good. Like, I'd never want one near a keyboard of mine.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4762 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 00:26:25 »
I'm sure this has been said a million times maybe, but I'm new. I don't get artisans. And I'm not talking about the koi pond ones or galaxy ones, or like that cool snow globe one that was a group buy around Christmas. I'm talking the ones where it's just a face of something, like an animal or monster, and it's those same faces/same molds, but just a different color to match. I don't get it. I understand wanting a novelty key that matches your keyboard, but those face ones just don't look that good. Like, I'd never want one near a keyboard of mine.

I agree, but I don't get the snow globe crap either. So long as it doesn't look/feel and sound like garbage, I don't care at all about caps.

Offline mode

« Reply #4763 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 01:11:30 »
Being a Chyros stan isn't cute lad >:(

Not a lad, nor am I the kind of princess to be able to feel that grain of sand!

Offline Insy

« Reply #4764 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 18:48:01 »
Ooh boy I'm gonna have the least popular opinions haha

1. If you don't have a real 10-key, you were probably never trained to use them. If you don't have one but have to do a bunch of arithmetic or fill in spreadsheets, you will want to kill yourself before you're 30 seconds in.
2. Clicky switches are for people who are so insecure they need people to REALLY know that they're typing
3. If you know how to type, you will only ever look at the keyboard very rarely so who cares if there is anything on them or not? If they're cheaply printed it doesn't matter if you wear off the printing because that would only ever be on the keys you don't look at anyway.
4. If I don't look at my keyboard to type, why should it have to be pretty with all sorts of RGB and colored keycaps? Waste of money and distracting.
5. There's not even anything wrong with a good rubber-dome keyboard. The first keyboard I got for myself I bought for $7 in 1996 and I used it until 2010 when it broke for the last time. Individual little yellow rubber domes glued on the contact sheet. Spill a drink on it? Take it apart, wipe the sheet between the contacts and let it dry. Put it back together and viola, no problems. Toss the keycap tray in the dish washer, good as new. New rubber domed keyboard usually also have ****ty shallow keys so I can't say they're good but still. Don't discount something that works if it's comfortable to use.
6. If you don't have F-keys, you can F-yourself. How am I supposed to 1-handed alt-f4 if I have to ALSO press an Fn key of some kind? We invented 104-key boards for a reason.
7. Dvorak was a scam artist and people still believe his lies. Qwerty was developed to facilitate Morse code transcription by grouping letters with common prefixes. Since Morse code is already optimized for minimalist messages, it turns out that keyboard layouts based on Morse are already incredibly good. Check out the Smithsonian magazine on the origin of the Sholes typewriter and Qwerty if you don't believe me.
8. Touch typing does not mean that every finger gets its own column. It means you know how to type without looking at the keyboard aka by touch. People who force themselves to using one column per finger are limiting their flexibility and not achieving their maximum typing potential by using their bodies natural finger positions.

I use a Topre Type Heaven, which gives me that nice rubber-dome softness on bottom-outs along with very durable switches, and a completely normal 45g weight on each switch. Some of the Realforce and other fancy topre keyboards have different weights on different keys, and that totally screws me up. Also, this only cost me $150 while keyboard with 2/3rds of the keys can cost twice as much. What a waste of money.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4765 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 19:28:02 »

1. If you don't have a real 10-key, you were probably never trained to use them. If you don't have one but have to do a bunch of arithmetic or fill in spreadsheets, you will want to kill yourself before you're 30 seconds in.
2. Clicky switches are for people who are so insecure they need people to REALLY know that they're typing
3. If you know how to type, you will only ever look at the keyboard very rarely so who cares if there is anything on them or not? If they're cheaply printed it doesn't matter if you wear off the printing because that would only ever be on the keys you don't look at anyway.
4. If I don't look at my keyboard to type, why should it have to be pretty with all sorts of RGB and colored keycaps? Waste of money and distracting.
5. There's not even anything wrong with a good rubber-dome keyboard. The first keyboard I got for myself I bought for $7 in 1996 and I used it until 2010 when it broke for the last time. Individual little yellow rubber domes glued on the contact sheet. Spill a drink on it? Take it apart, wipe the sheet between the contacts and let it dry. Put it back together and viola, no problems. Toss the keycap tray in the dish washer, good as new. New rubber domed keyboard usually also have ****ty shallow keys so I can't say they're good but still. Don't discount something that works if it's comfortable to use.
6. If you don't have F-keys, you can F-yourself. How am I supposed to 1-handed alt-f4 if I have to ALSO press an Fn key of some kind? We invented 104-key boards for a reason.
7. Dvorak was a scam artist and people still believe his lies. Qwerty was developed to facilitate Morse code transcription by grouping letters with common prefixes. Since Morse code is already optimized for minimalist messages, it turns out that keyboard layouts based on Morse are already incredibly good. Check out the Smithsonian magazine on the origin of the Sholes typewriter and Qwerty if you don't believe me.
8. Touch typing does not mean that every finger gets its own column. It means you know how to type without looking at the keyboard aka by touch. People who force themselves to using one column per finger are limiting their flexibility and not achieving their maximum typing potential by using their bodies natural finger positions.

I use a Topre Type Heaven, which gives me that nice rubber-dome softness on bottom-outs along with very durable switches, and a completely normal 45g weight on each switch. Some of the Realforce and other fancy topre keyboards have different weights on different keys, and that totally screws me up. Also, this only cost me $150 while keyboard with 2/3rds of the keys can cost twice as much. What a waste of money.

1. I was trained to use a 10-key, although my lack of use of/for it has made me too rusty to practically use it anymore. I work with spreadsheets all day every day, although it is mostly informational/record keeping. I do type plenty of numbers as well though and don't mind just using the the number row. No math though, really.

2. I disagree entirely, and I'm not sure how you even came to this conclusion. Put a Model F and just about anything else in front of me in an empty room, surrounded by empty rooms, and see which one I still choose for its feel and wonderful sound.

3. Agreed

4. Agreed, couldn't this just be combined with #3?

5. Agreed, so long as how it feels, the layout, and whatever else, is your thing. You do you. I think that's actually a fairly popular opinion here.

6. I've never had much use for F-keys myself, and I'm still a fan of giant keyboards in spite of this, but also small ones (so long as they have dedicated arrow keys).

7. No opinion, don't care beyond maybe the historical/developmental aspect, but wouldn't surprise me.

8. I don't think anyone would disagree with you on that point.

Even $150 is pretty spendy in my book, unless I'm looking for blue alps or Model Fs.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #4766 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 21:55:57 »

1. If you don't have a real 10-key, you were probably never trained to use them.

1. Not an opinion, just kind of an assumption of someone personally. Not everyone fills in spreadsheets and does math all day. If I did, 10 key or not, I'd wanna kill myself.
2. Just kind of a **** statement about someone personally again tbh
8. Ergonomically column staggered keyboards are an improvement, and don't hinder your typing ability when used to the layout. Your assumption seems to be that the users of said layouts are only using one column per finger, when that isn't true. Really only need to count that there are more than 4 columns per side of keyboards like this to know that.

Offline GlennL42

« Reply #4767 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 01:38:27 »
snip
Most of these can be boiled down to use case and personal opinion, which is perfectly reasonable IMO, though what bugs me is point 2, as I'm sure a lot of people likes their clicky choices not solely because of the fact that they are design to produce clicky sound, but rather the feel they impart, as there will always be an inherent difference between the feel imparted by mechanism of clicky and tactile switches, e.g: clicky switches will always have a comparatively 'cleaner/sharper' break than their tactile counterpart.

Offline frydaja

• "It's my last keyboard, I swear"
« Reply #4768 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 03:23:36 »

10key in numpad is the real deal.

Some clicks sound nice and that's about it.

Aesthetics.
Aesthetics.

Amen! My Compaq RT101 is an amazing keyboard, I just wish it was smaller.

6. If you don't have F-keys, you can F-yourself. How am I supposed to 1-handed alt-f4 if I have to ALSO press an Fn key of some kind? We invented 104-key boards for a reason
That's personal, I use F keys only to take screenshots on Steam and change Wallpaper Engine presets.

I'm a Qwertz fossil, so nothing much to say, other than Dvorak is useless at anything else than typing in English.
I actually learned "the actual, government-approved" ten finger touch typing method recently, not only I experienced more fatigue in longer periods of time,  but mainly, it's just so unnatural for my right hand.

Anne Pro 2 w/ Kailh Box Browns | CM Storm Quickfire TK Stealth w/ MX Browns | Unknown Chinese keyboard w/ Outemu Reds | Compaq-branded NMB RT101 | Gigabyte Force K81 w/Kailh Reds

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4769 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 03:59:27 »

10key in numpad is the real deal.
20-key numpad da bomb yo :cool: .

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4770 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 09:37:09 »

About the clicky switches, i just like the sound. What's wrong with that? Also, i don't need to look at my keyboard to type although i type improperly if there was a hand cam.

"iF yOu dOn'T hAvE f KeYs, YoU cAn f yoUrSelf"

I simply don't need function keys for the work i'm doing.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #4771 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 09:30:24 »
1. People who don't need F keys for their work on computers don't do real work on computers.
2. Artisan keycaps hurt your fingers and your eyes.
2a. The less they hurt your eyes, the more they hurt mine.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4772 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 12:50:20 »
1. People who don't need F keys for their work on computers don't do real work on computers.
2. Artisan keycaps hurt your fingers and your eyes.
2a. The less they hurt your eyes, the more they hurt mine.

1. What do you consider to be real work?
2. Agreed
3. Agreed

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #4773 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 15:47:23 »
1. Anything that exceeds Microsoft Office (or Emacs :-)) work.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4774 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 16:42:53 »
1. Anything that exceeds Microsoft Office (or Emacs :-)) work.

But everything exceeds M$ Office, and many people don't even use that anymore. If you can't intuitively figure out M$ Office, you probably shouldn't be employed in a job that utilizes computers at all.

I mostly fix computers, f keys are rarely necessary. All I use spreadsheets/documents for is record-keeping, or when students and teachers can't figure something out.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4775 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 17:15:09 »
I use F2 = edit, [alt]F4 = close, F5 = refresh, and F11 = toggle full screen/partial screen quite a lot.

Hardly ever any of the other ones.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #4776 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 16:01:10 »
I mostly only use function row for browser shortcuts which I would hardly consider browsing the internet real work.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mode

« Reply #4777 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 16:44:46 »
I think I prefer alps salmon to orange.

They’re amazingly smoother lubed, and lube actually works on them.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #4778 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:41:52 »

Is that unpopular? I haven’t heard Orange but Salmon ALPS sound better than any other clicky switch I’ve heard. 
Edit: clicky, not flicks
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2020, 10:24:24 by rxc92 »

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #4779 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 22:31:38 »

Is that unpopular? I haven’t heard Orange but Salmon ALPS sound better than any other flicks switch I’ve heard.

Orange are considered a bit better but Alps in general are good.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4780 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 09:45:19 »

Is that unpopular? I haven’t heard Orange but Salmon ALPS sound better than any other flicks switch I’ve heard.

I have never had the pleasure of trying salmon or orange alps, besides maybe in an old Apple board a guy I know is hoarding at a recycling place. That was merely for a moment though. Tactile Alps, in general, seem to be the only tactiles I have tried that seem to have much of any real use.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4781 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 12:55:13 »

I have never had the pleasure of trying salmon or orange alps, besides maybe in an old Apple board a guy I know is hoarding at a recycling place. That was merely for a moment though. Tactile Alps, in general, seem to be the only tactiles I have tried that seem to have much of any real use.

i've never tried alps before

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #4782 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 13:14:25 »
Wait really? How have you been living without trying Alps at least once?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4783 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 14:23:23 »
Wait really? How have you been living without trying Alps at least once?

I hadn't until I found a DC-2014 on an auction website. Barrier to entry, besides the switches nobody particularly cares about, and/or are really dirty, is high.

Offline squizzler

• My blog
« Reply #4784 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:23:59 »
A couple from me.

• Cherry's model of developing a limited and easy to understand range of switches is better for the consumer than certain manufacturers I can mention who throw every conceivable iteration at the marketplace in order to see what will stick.
  • The correct place for the letter 'E' is one of the big keys on the left thumb cluster of the split keyboard (Malt, RSTHD layouts)
  • The MX keycap mount needs to die! Could we not all get behind a hollow "light-well" slider design? I suggest Kailh KO - it combines the best features of that firm's box switch and the Omron B3K (Romer-G, etc).

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:33:31 by squizzler »
Running RSTHD on Minidox since 2019

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4785 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:32:28 »
A couple from me.

• Cherry's model of developing a limited and easy to understand range of switches is better for the consumer than certain manufacturers I can mention who throw every conceivable iteration at the marketplace in order to see what will stick.
  • The MX keycap mount needs to die! Could we not all get behind a hollow "light-well" slider design? I suggest Kailh KO - it combines the best features of that firm's box switch and the Omron B3K (Romer-G, etc).

I agree, for the most part, on your first point. I do love clickbar switches though, and would prefer for Alps SKCM to rise from the ashes instead.

On the second ... I have an Azio Retro Classic with what I think are some of those sliders in them. It feels pretty terrible to type on, and I was going to see if I could swap the switches. If that slider type still allows for clickbars, maybe I wouldn't mind? What exactly are the benefits of that slider over MX stems, besides maybe less wobble, lower chance of snapping?
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:45:53 by Maledicted »

Offline squizzler

• My blog
« Reply #4786 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 14:50:21 »

I agree, for the most part, on your first point. I do love clickbar switches though.

On the second ... I have an Azio Retro Classic with what I think are some of those sliders in them. It feels pretty terrible to type on, and I was going to see if I could swap the switches. If that slider type still allows for clickbars, maybe I wouldn't mind? What exactly are the benefits of that slider over MX stems?[/list]

The Azio does use that type of switch. Its benefits are the well in the middle for the light to shine through but the thicker slider ought to be more robust (if you squint it is really an extremely fat version of the MX cross mount). Kailh list the switch here and here as available in linear, tactile and clicky. Don't forget that any clean sheet design will require some tinkering to become refined as what it replaces if the legacy design has been refined over a long time and in the case of MX and its various clones this is definitely the case.

And that the hollow slider / cap mount of the KO or B3K was designed as a light well does not mean that it has to be RGB. Other designers might use that space for more elaborate mechanisms. For instance that hole might accommodate a buckling spring :)

n.b.  Sorry I added to the post whilst you were tying your response:) there is always one more thing to think of after pressing 'send'!
    « Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2020, 09:47:22 by squizzler »
    Running RSTHD on Minidox since 2019

Offline Merranza

« Reply #4787 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 08:23:02 »
    As many keyboard aficionados love the old look and feel of heavier boards like model M and such, I'll get some insults pretty sure but here: I don't like high profile keyboard and prefer standard profile exposing switches.

High profile looks outdated and bulky to me. I prefer a more minimal look. On top of it, seeing switches is not a flaw to me as I like seeing the mecanism. I'm also a cleaning maniac and I hate not being able to remove every bit of dust/hair/etc that gets stuck in the high profile casing. Being able to thoroughly clean the whole plate is more satisfying to me on a standard/low profile board.

Alright, I've said it. Ready for the flaming :)
    « Last Edit: Tue, 17 March 2020, 09:02:12 by Merranza »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4788 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 11:52:15 »
    Yeah, high-profile can seem unnecessary and bulky at times. It creates a more solid-looking keyboard, but as you say, that aesthetic is not always wanted.

I have a high-profile Majestouch, and it is a bother to clean. My low-profile keyboards don't seem to have attracted as much dust and particles. People say that the low-profile keyboards get dirtier easier, but I think it is easier to spot and remove it.

They both have their place. I like to use taller switches on high-profile keyboards, such as OEM and eventually MT3. The deep well of the keyboard is more suited to accommodating these tall keycaps. There are SA sets made especially for the Filco, that are seated really well in the case, even if I don't like the profile.

And I like to use shorter keycaps on the low-profile boards. They match the sleekness and lower-profile of the case. They might be better to use at desk-level, being slightly shorter, whereas the high-profile boards with taller keycaps might be better in under-desk trays, since I think they were basically designed for high-profile, OEM-keycap boards.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4789 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 20:50:19 »
    As many keyboard aficionados love the old look and feel of heavier boards like model M and such, I'll get some insults pretty sure but here: I don't like high profile keyboard and prefer standard profile exposing switches.

High profile looks outdated and bulky to me. I prefer a more minimal look. On top of it, seeing switches is not a flaw to me as I like seeing the mecanism. I'm also a cleaning maniac and I hate not being able to remove every bit of dust/hair/etc that gets stuck in the high profile casing. Being able to thoroughly clean the whole plate is more satisfying to me on a standard/low profile board.

What flaming? Those are almost all pretty valid points. That's one of the many things that I like about Corsair's K65 and K70 boards, an exposed plate with easy cleaning. What is it that you mean by low profile though? I wouldn't sacrifice switch feel for aesthetics myself, if you're talking about non-standard height switches on top of it.

I like both though. I don't particularly care about profile. I have never been picky about that. I'm using a new F77 this very moment, and I have a K70 5 feet from me.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
    • weird funny old guy
    « Reply #4790 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 07:47:49 »
    A good wrist rest can raise the resting hand height to meet a taller keyboard. I prefer full-width gel.
    State Freedom Caucus News 2024
    Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline Merranza

« Reply #4791 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 08:50:01 »
    Yeah, high-profile can seem unnecessary and bulky at times. It creates a more solid-looking keyboard, but as you say, that aesthetic is not always wanted.

I have a high-profile Majestouch, and it is a bother to clean. My low-profile keyboards don't seem to have attracted as much dust and particles. People say that the low-profile keyboards get dirtier easier, but I think it is easier to spot and remove it.

They both have their place. I like to use taller switches on high-profile keyboards, such as OEM and eventually MT3. The deep well of the keyboard is more suited to accommodating these tall keycaps. There are SA sets made especially for the Filco, that are seated really well in the case, even if I don't like the profile.

And I like to use shorter keycaps on the low-profile boards. They match the sleekness and lower-profile of the case. They might be better to use at desk-level, being slightly shorter, whereas the high-profile boards with taller keycaps might be better in under-desk trays, since I think they were basically designed for high-profile, OEM-keycap boards.

Those are very valid points.

For my low profile boards, I got one of those hairdresser brush (the really soft one they use on your face to dust off the hair). I tilt the keyboard a few degrees on the side and brush the spaces between the keys. The bristles bend easily and get under the keycaps. Almost all of the dust goes away and the softness of the brush prevents any damage to the plate (those aluminum plates can scratch so easily). Then once in a while, I remove all keycaps and go for a deeper clean.

I haven't tried any SA yet but you are right, they would probably fit a bit better on a high profile.

Offline Merranza

« Reply #4792 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 09:03:49 »

What flaming? Those are almost all pretty valid points. That's one of the many things that I like about Corsair's K65 and K70 boards, an exposed plate with easy cleaning. What is it that you mean by low profile though? I wouldn't sacrifice switch feel for aesthetics myself, if you're talking about non-standard height switches on top of it.

I like both though. I don't particularly care about profile. I have never been picky about that. I'm using a new F77 this very moment, and I have a K70 5 feet from me.

Ah thank you, feeling less lonely now! It just seems to me the general consensus shifted heavily in favor of high profile recently and people seem to dislike those low profiles board now (not only here but on other forums/websites too). Might also be the normal "everything that goes mainstream is not cool anymore". Happens to switches, boards and in other domains too.

I began with a K70 and slowly moved toward smaller form factor. GMMK TKL and Magicforce 68. I don't use my K70 anymore. I never thought I'd like smaller than TKL but really, 65% really grew on me and will become my daily for sure. I'm back on my TKL because it has hotswap and I wanted to try other switches but I really prefer my Magicforce in terms of form. My eyes are on something like Massdrop alt (another example of a board that everybody claims is better in high profile). Now if only they could offer a black version of their low profile version... That silver is too shiny for my tase and so hard to match with keycaps.

At work I use a Coolermaster Quickfire TK (wanted smaller + numpad) but that high profile casing is really not my thing.
    « Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2020, 09:10:08 by Merranza »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4793 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 10:00:45 »
    Ah thank you, feeling less lonely now! It just seems to me the general consensus shifted heavily in favor of high profile recently and people seem to dislike those low profiles board now (not only here but on other forums/websites too). Might also be the normal "everything that goes mainstream is not cool anymore". Happens to switches, boards and in other domains too.

I began with a K70 and slowly moved toward smaller form factor. GMMK TKL and Magicforce 68. I don't use my K70 anymore. I never thought I'd like smaller than TKL but really, 65% really grew on me and will become my daily for sure. I'm back on my TKL because it has hotswap and I wanted to try other switches but I really prefer my Magicforce in terms of form. My eyes are on something like Massdrop alt (another example of a board that everybody claims is better in high profile). Now if only they could offer a black version of their low profile version... That silver is too shiny for my tase and so hard to match with keycaps.

At work I use a Coolermaster Quickfire TK (wanted smaller + numpad) but that high profile casing is really not my thing.

Don't mind the herd. You do you. Preference is preference, subjective.  ;)

I have modded a K65 to have an aviator connector and box navies in it. I plan to mod more k65s and k70s similarly with navies and jades. They've got great bones ... if you don't mind the struggle of taking them apart and putting them back together.

I don't care about form factor so long as it has dedicated arrow keys myself. I can't get my favorite sorts of switches in those sizes ... unless I want to murder an SKCM blue keyboard, but I wouldn't mind a 65% with box jades and dedicated arrows. I need all of the desk space I can get at work for working on laptops.

Those Drop Alts look great to me. They're aluminum, right? If you like the keyboard a lot, maybe you could take it to a metal finishing shop, one that does anodization. They could strip the anodization and anodize and dye it whatever color you like from there. Not sure how much that might cost you though. Probably less if you tell them you're in no hurry and to just toss it in with whatever their next black dyed batch ends up being.

I'm a big fan of the old Quickfire Rapids. I never did like the aesthetics of the TK. I saw one for cheap and passed it up.

Offline Merranza

« Reply #4794 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 11:15:37 »

Don't mind the herd. You do you. Preference is preference, subjective.  ;)

I have modded a K65 to have an aviator connector and box navies in it. I plan to mod more k65s and k70s similarly with navies and jades. They've got great bones ... if you don't mind the struggle of taking them apart and putting them back together.

I don't care about form factor so long as it has dedicated arrow keys myself. I can't get my favorite sorts of switches in those sizes ... unless I want to murder an SKCM blue keyboard, but I wouldn't mind a 65% with box jades and dedicated arrows. I need all of the desk space I can get at work for working on laptops.

Those Drop Alts look great to me. They're aluminum, right? If you like the keyboard a lot, maybe you could take it to a metal finishing shop, one that does anodization. They could strip the anodization and anodize and dye it whatever color you like from there. Not sure how much that might cost you though. Probably less if you tell them you're in no hurry and to just toss it in with whatever their next black dyed batch ends up being.

I'm a big fan of the old Quickfire Rapids. I never did like the aesthetics of the TK. I saw one for cheap and passed it up.

Yes, the alt/ctrl/shift are all aluminum keyboards. From what people say, they are not Leopold/Filco quality (stabs are pretty rattly for instance) but I really like the form factor (keycaps are a bit more limited due to right shift and row positioning of that right most column), aesthetics, double USB-C (passthrough) connectors, hotswap, QMK and while not cheap they are also not too expensive.

A more black/dark charcoal low profile alt would probably set me up for many years (not sure why they only offer the black version on their high profile... many people looking at the low profile are asking for the black version... they might offer one eventually). You are right, I could check with a metal finishing shop but damn would I be a bit nervous to leave this in a shop haha. Once I settle down with the alt, I will probably switch my Quickfire TK at work with my GMMK TKL (not really using that much that numpad after all).

Can't really complain about my TK quality though. It is plastic and not really special in any way but for what I paid, it does the job and feels pretty good. Coolermaster make pretty good board in that price range to be honest.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4795 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 12:17:30 »
    Yes, the alt/ctrl/shift are all aluminum keyboards. From what people say, they are not Leopold/Filco quality (stabs are pretty rattly for instance) but I really like the form factor (keycaps are a bit more limited due to right shift and row positioning of that right most column), aesthetics, double USB-C (passthrough) connectors, hotswap, QMK and while not cheap they are also not too expensive.

A more black/dark charcoal low profile alt would probably set me up for many years (not sure why they only offer the black version on their high profile... many people looking at the low profile are asking for the black version... they might offer one eventually). You are right, I could check with a metal finishing shop but damn would I be a bit nervous to leave this in a shop haha. Once I settle down with the alt, I will probably switch my Quickfire TK at work with my GMMK TKL (not really using that much that numpad after all).

Can't really complain about my TK quality though. It is plastic and not really special in any way but for what I paid, it does the job and feels pretty good. Coolermaster make pretty good board in that price range to be honest.

You can probably tell that I'm not too picky. My F77 space bar is currently very rattly and squeaky ... and I don't care. I imagine you could try swapping them and/or lubing them?

I sure wouldn't leave the whole board and let them disassemble and reassemble, if they would even offer to, much less do it for free. I would strip the board, wrap the chassis in a towel, or paper, or whatever else, and maybe stuff it in a box with some marker on it to identify it. Then it could sit around in their shop pretty safely. Most imperfections in the surface finish should be covered up by the dye anyway, and I think if any were to be created before stripping the anodization, re-anodizing may even fix those as well.

I love Coolermaster as a brand, I just don't like the aesthetics of the TK. I love the lock lights being beneath the keys on the Rapid, with windows in the caps (reminds me of some cool old boards from the 80s, like the Zenith ZKB-2R), the color scheme, the legends, and I believe that the controller even has a drop-in replacement that's programmable. That may be the case with the TK as well though, not sure.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4796 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 14:40:24 »
    Here's a potentially unpopular opinion: MX Browns are not good or bad, they just have a logic of their own.

I've written in the past about how MX Browns are a 'chill' switch. They are not meant to provide tactility, but instead a relaxed typing experience. (Think about their inclusion in the Kinesis Advantage, which was their first outing.) They were known as "Ergo Soft" in some internal Cherry documents, if memory serves, and are supposed to provide a stress-free typing experience.

Anyway, we've gone over that ground before, as well as how Browns are a "subconscious" switch, proving just enough tactile information for your fingers to move on without thinking about the tactile feedback.

I've been testing Browns versus a number of switches in the past year, most recently Ergo Clears. And the unique character of Browns has become more apparent in that time. I am typing on some relatively heavy Ergo Clears, that actuate at 60 gr, and bottom-out at 65-70 gr. I had to retrain myself for a few days when I started using them. There's a large tactile bump, compared to browns, and a higher operating force. And stronger springs pressing back against you.

What I learned from the Ergo Clears is that, although they may have a more satisfying tactile process than MX Browns [not a hard bar to clear, I know], it's also a more conscious process. I notice it more while typing, and have to use additional muscles in order to type.

For people who want a satisfying, conscious typing experience, Ergo Clears may feel better than MX Browns. And the epitome of this kind of deliberate tactility is found in the current favourites, such as Holy Pandas and Zealios V2. And that's fine.

Browns weren't meant to compete with that, or to be like that. I've noticed that I can develop a special typing rhythm with the Browns. If you type with just enough force to actuate them, the keys roll into one-another, as you can just make whole words appear almost instantly with a minimum of force. The keyboard sounds like a staccato machine-gun when you do this, the Browns don't get in the way of your typing speed or rhythm at all. The words can appear on the screen as fast as you think, without you thinking about it, and with your fingers barely noticing.

So that's what MX Brown is meant to do: provide a comfortable typing experience that doesn't challenge you, doesn't cause stress or strain, and just flows. It's not individually satisfying in the keypress. And I've said that before. But the characteristic of being an interrupted-linear switch (and not really a "tactile") is that it's almost as easy as a light linear, but does provide that infinitesimal speck of tactility that a pure MX linear won't. And you can type reams of pages while only using a tiny number of muscles. So that's what it's for, and the switches probably lend themselves well to ergo layouts as well. But that's what I'm saying: MX Browns can be used with their own rhythm and typing style that is not identical to pure linears or 'serious' tactile switches. You can just glide the board endlessly with minimal exertion. Minimal feedback. Attempting to use it as a satisfying "tactile" switch is a primary cause of unhappiness with Browns.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4797 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 14:49:33 »
    *Additional support for what I'm saying comes from my recent experience in trying my MX Brown keyboard again, after the Ergo Clears.

When I returned to the MX Brown keyboard, I noticed myself hammering the keys. I was just pounding each keypress, bottoming-out hard with each keystroke. I hardly felt any tactility, it felt kind of mushy and buttery to me.

I hadn't always blown through the keys like that, and it made me realize that other people coming from heavier or more tactile keyboards might also be mashing MX Brown keyboards when trying them out, and not really feeling the subtleties of the switch. You have to have a more gentle legato across the keys. It's not better or worse than other methods of typing, but it has its own logic that should be obeyed in order to appreciate the switch. MX Brown is a subtle "collective" switch, rather than an individual switch.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4798 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 14:59:37 »
    *Additional support for what I'm saying comes from my recent experience in trying my MX Brown keyboard again, after the Ergo Clears.

When I returned to the MX Brown keyboard, I noticed myself hammering the keys. I was just pounding each keypress, bottoming-out hard with each keystroke. I hardly felt any tactility, it felt kind of mushy and buttery to me.

I hadn't always blown through the keys like that, and it made me realize that other people coming from heavier or more tactile keyboards might also be mashing MX Brown keyboards when trying them out, and not really feeling the subtleties of the switch. You have to have a more gentle legato across the keys. It's not better or worse than other methods of typing, but it has its own logic that should be obeyed in order to appreciate the switch. MX Brown is a subtle "collective" switch, rather than an individual switch.

I believe I have read your post to this effect and I do believe that my thoughts were that this seemed, to me at least, to actually be the opposite. All I think about when typing with browns is how terrible they feel. I don't think about anything else. With switches that I enjoy, I can either enjoy the heck out of them, or subconsciously ignore them entirely and just type ... the way you describe browns as being ideal for. I also don't use super uber fancy ergo boards either though, so I can't say how that may factor in. I can't imagine how switches of other types could somehow get in the way of your rhythm and/or typing speed in any way, unless the springs are literally too heavy to prevent fatigue for you.

I also dislike Cherry MX in general, so that can't help. I used Cherry MX Reds exclusively for the first few years of my mechanical experience. I think I always mashed them until they bottom out, just with less force when I was adjusted to their springs, and I still don't look back fondly on the typing experience other that it felt better than cheap rubber domes.

Offline Durburz

« Reply #4799 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 17:21:03 »
    Plate mount stabs are superior  :-X ;D