Author Topic: 2x3x4 LED and SIP socket Group Buy - Round 1 Cyan | Pink | Sky Blue  (Read 112470 times)

Offline nuclearsandwich

Re: 2x3x4 LED and SIP socket Group Buy - Round 1 Cyan | Pink | Sky Blue
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 11:42:42 »
I haven't sent out the warnings to those unpaid (well I sent one) but I have sent payment to the vendor! Which means our LEDs should ship to me next week.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #251 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 12:25:48 »
I haven't sent out the warnings to those unpaid (well I sent one) but I have sent payment to the vendor! Which means our LEDs should ship to me next week.
:D I can't wait to get mine! Especially since I am getting 2 keysets that will match with the LEDs well.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #252 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 12:28:29 »

Awesome. Let me know when you need help sorting!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #253 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 12:51:37 »
Sorting party?  Eek wish I could be there!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #254 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:38:21 »
Warning PMs have been sent to the remaining unpaid users (less those who've contacted me already)

I can't say that getting banned from my future buys is much of a threat since this is my first one but I'm not leaving this community any time soon and I have cool **** on my list of things I want to do here. But Group buys come with commitment and are not a trivial consumer act. If you commit to one and ultimately demonstrate that you can't be relied upon, I don't see a way that I can allow your participation to risk future group buys. I understand that **** happens, people get busy, checking the forum for slow moving group buys becomes arduous, but work with me and let me know what's up. That's all I need.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #255 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 14:39:38 »
Warning PMs have been sent to the remaining unpaid users (less those who've contacted me already)

I can't say that getting banned from my future buys is much of a threat since this is my first one but I'm not leaving this community any time soon and I have cool **** on my list of things I want to do here. But Group buys come with commitment and are not a trivial consumer act. If you commit to one and ultimately demonstrate that you can't be relied upon, I don't see a way that I can allow your participation to risk future group buys. I understand that **** happens, people get busy, checking the forum for slow moving group buys becomes arduous, but work with me and let me know what's up. That's all I need.

Thanks again for running this. Really excited for everything.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline nandop

• May your keystrokes always be true.
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 17:12:13 »
How long do you think until we have those SIP sockets in our hands?  :D
Sprit 60%, White MX 78g Au | Planck Ortholinear 40% Clear MX | Phantom TKL Browns 110g Au

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #257 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 18:47:17 »

Short answer: I have no idea.

Long answer: SIP sockets are going to get ordered the moment I've confirmed the shipment of LEDs has left China so they arrive at roughly the same time. The first thing I'm doing when everything is in hand is sorting and counting out LEDs. Given the size of the LED order I expect this to take 7-10 days of realtime (actual sorting can only happen in evenings or on days off work). Once the LEDs are sorted, I'll start sorting SIP sockets. It shouldn't take much time at all since they come in long sticks.

Once everything is sorted, I'll send the big big order. Then I'll bag international orders for hwood34 to double check and send. After the big order and international orders are out, I'll parcel the US orders as quickly as I'm able. Depending on how well the sorting phase goes, this should take a maximum of 7 days realtime. Tracking numbers will be PM'd to participants when their order is parceled. The post office is close by so I usually get things dropped off the day after they're packed.

So from the LED arrival date the process should be

9 - 12 days sorting
1 - 2 days prepping large and international orders
4 - 7 days shipping US orders
2 - 4 days in US Post
Total 16 - 25 days from the day I receive LEDs. The vendor should be shipping LEDs this week. I'll update everyone with that info when I have it.

Disclaimer: I have made up all the numbers above based on enthusiasm and past experience counting and sorting thousands of coins by hand. They are not a "schedule" and far from guaranteed. You can expect regular updates during the sorting process of similar detail and regularity as I posted during the ordering and collection phase of this group buy.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #258 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 18:49:42 »
Also for the love of algebra pay your invoices!

Someone 0'd out their order on the 10th but put a 0 for their geekhack username as well. -_-

Offline Digitize

« Reply #259 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 22:51:48 »
If that happens, let me know. I'm interested in more sip sockets, but don't currently have funds. By the time the buy ends though, I'll be able to pick up an extra 2-300.

Hokay. I'll let everyone know when add-on orders are open. At the moment I don't have good organization around re-invoicing folks who've already paid.

:))

Thanks for all the updates as of lately and if there are extras at the end of this all I'd be willing to buy more. When ever you get around to finding a way to do add-ons.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #260 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 22:56:34 »
Thanks for all your hard work, nuclear.  I appreciate the constant communication. :thumb:

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #261 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 23:06:16 »

Someone 0'd out their order on the 10th but put a 0 for their geekhack username as well. -_-
Once the sorting is through, if you have some extras I would love to buy some more!

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #262 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 23:51:33 »

Once the sorting is through, if you have some extras I would love to buy some more!

There will be an extras round where folks who ordered can add on, but I'm working the tooling to better support multiple orders and invoices, which my current poopy SQLite database sure doesn't handle. I've done this entire group buy with shell scripts and ruby scripts and am starting to tidy those up into actual programming.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 15:52:43 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 January 2015, 17:13:43 by digi »

Offline cookiesowns

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 19:14:19 »

There will be an extras round where folks who ordered can add on, but I'm working the tooling to better support multiple orders and invoices, which my current poopy SQLite database sure doesn't handle. I've done this entire group buy with shell scripts and ruby scripts and am starting to tidy those up into actual programming.

Ever going to make those ruby & shell scripts public on GitHub? =)

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 04:37:21 »

Long answer: SIP sockets are going to get ordered the moment I've confirmed the shipment of LEDs has left China so they arrive at roughly the same time. The first thing I'm doing when everything is in hand is sorting and counting out LEDs. Given the size of the LED order I expect this to take 7-10 days of realtime (actual sorting can only happen in evenings or on days off work). Once the LEDs are sorted, I'll start sorting SIP sockets. It shouldn't take much time at all since they come in long sticks.

Once everything is sorted, I'll send the big big order. Then I'll bag international orders for hwood34 to double check and send. After the big order and international orders are out, I'll parcel the US orders as quickly as I'm able. Depending on how well the sorting phase goes, this should take a maximum of 7 days realtime. Tracking numbers will be PM'd to participants when their order is parceled. The post office is close by so I usually get things dropped off the day after they're packed.

9 - 12 days sorting
2 - 4 days in US Post
Total 16 - 25 days from the day I receive LEDs. The vendor should be shipping LEDs this week. I'll update everyone with that info when I have it.

Disclaimer: I have made up all the numbers above based on enthusiasm and past experience counting and sorting thousands of coins by hand. They are not a "schedule" and far from guaranteed. You can expect regular updates during the sorting process of similar detail and regularity as I posted during the ordering and collection phase of this group buy.

Wouldn't a gram scale with a piece count feature save you more hassle than what the scale costs?  That's just a ridiculous amount of counting to be done by hand.

Ducky Shine 3 YOTS - Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 - Ducky G2 DK9008 - Ducky G2 Pro DK9008 grey/blue PBT

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #266 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:20:12 »

9 - 12 days sorting
2 - 4 days in US Post

Wouldn't a gram scale with a piece count feature save you more hassle than what the scale costs?  That's just a ridiculous amount of counting to be done by hand.

Ooh yeah, I might just do that. I kinda forgot these existed. As a computer person I'm naturally distrustful of tech that uses side effects to perform a task, but it might work really well. I'll go nab one and test it out.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 11:24:08 »
Ooh yeah, I might just do that. I kinda forgot these existed. As a computer person I'm naturally distrustful of tech that uses side effects to perform a task, but it might work really well. I'll go nab one and test it out.

IO Monad. :)

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #268 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 13:54:16 »

9 - 12 days sorting
2 - 4 days in US Post

Id assume it would be pretty accurate.  As long as you got one that has resolution to at least the hundredth of a gram.
Ducky Shine 3 YOTS - Ducky Shine 3 DK9008 - Ducky G2 DK9008 - Ducky G2 Pro DK9008 grey/blue PBT

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #269 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:20:46 »

9 - 12 days sorting
2 - 4 days in US Post

Id assume it would be pretty accurate.  As long as you got one that has resolution to at least the hundredth of a gram.

Do you have any recommendations? There seems to be a lot of different price points.

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #270 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 14:34:30 »

9 - 12 days sorting
2 - 4 days in US Post

Do you have any recommendations? There seems to be a lot of different price points.

the piece count feature would just be a luxury option i would assume. I own gram and milligram scales, I'll weigh out some leds right now. it should be as easy as getting the weigh of one piece, 10 pieces, etc and doing the math yourself.  a decent gram scale would then run you around $20 from amazon.

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #271 on: Thu, 15 January 2015, 22:54:14 »

9 - 12 days sorting
2 - 4 days in US Post

the piece count feature would just be a luxury option i would assume. I own gram and milligram scales, I'll weigh out some leds right now. it should be as easy as getting the weigh of one piece, 10 pieces, etc and doing the math yourself.  a decent gram scale would then run you around $20 from amazon.

Ok, so I just weighed out some LEDs that I have.  They are 3mm round flangless LEDs I ordered from China.

The LEDs weigh .156 grams each, very consistent.  (weighed with a milligram scale).  I also used my gram scale to weigh these out that only has tenths for a resolution.  Counting out a known number of LEDs and weighing it with the less accurate scale will produce a +/- 1 or 2 error rate most times.  Getting a scale that has resolution to the hundredth will pretty much eliminate the error.

The only problem is when you buy milligram scales, they can only weigh like 20 grams total.  So whatever you are weighing the LEDs in will take away from the total weigh-able amount.  For example a 9 oz plastic cup weighs 4.5 grams.  200 of my round LEDs weigh roughly 31 grams.  You can get away with using a scale that has a resolution to the hundredth and has a capacity of about 100 grams, and they are cheap $10-20 on amazon or ebay, just be sure to get one with a nice sized weighing platform you can place like a Solo cup on that will hold your LEDs to be weighed.  Add in an LED or two for good measure on an order if you have a little padding, and it will save you 1 week of counting hell.

Hopefully these will be bagged in 1000 qty, 500, 100, etc by the supplier.  I doubt you'll receive a huge sack of each color with the number ordered all together, but who knows.  Either way, you have some work ahead of you, and I thank you again for putting this together.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 January 2015, 03:02:07 by Evi1_0ne »

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #272 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 12:26:40 »
Just a head's up everyone, I've got some work travel coming up mid February. I'll be gone from the 11 - 21. I think that's likely to land right in the middle of the sort/ship phase but I'm going to do my best to get the international orders to hwood34 before I go.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:18:03 »
Just a head's up everyone, I've got some work travel coming up mid February. I'll be gone from the 11 - 21. I think that's likely to land right in the middle of the sort/ship phase but I'm going to do my best to get the international orders to hwood34 before I go.

Thanks for the heads up and for the update as well.  :thumb:

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 14:25:37 »

Couldn't you get a small group of willing people to help sort stuff?

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 08:59:15 »
Any updates this week?
Hi :)

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #276 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 09:33:31 »
Any updates this week?

Look up three comments:

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 19:23:19 »

Nuclear has already said he placed the LED order.  As soon as he confirms the LEDs have shipped from China, he will place the order for the SIP sockets so they arrive roughly the same time.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 20:33:45 »

There will be a sorting party for sure, but I'm not comfortable with giving others access to my home / the product while I'm not around.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 20:38:53 »

There will be a sorting party for sure, but I'm not comfortable with giving others access to my home / the product while I'm not around.
Not even mailing it out? Are they being shipped in like bags of 500, 100, or what?

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #280 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 20:43:25 »

Not even mailing it out? Are they being shipped in like bags of 500, 100, or what?

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking. If we manage to sort everything before I leave, it will all ship before I leave. If we don't finish the sorting, I'll ship what I can and sorting will finish when I return.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #281 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:47:11 »

So the LEDs are set to arrive by February 10, the Tuesday before I fly out. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to get the big and international order shipped in those two days but if at all possible I will do so.

Sorting Party will be the weekend I get back (21-22 February). If you're not radio_killah and you want to be at the sorting party, shoot me a PM in a week.

I'm going to go ahead and place the SIP socket order. I realize the timing draws this buy out an extra week and a bit but you can bet I'll be monstrous about shipping when I return.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #282 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 20:50:51 »
Show Image

So the LEDs are set to arrive by February 10, the Tuesday before I fly out. I'm not even sure if I'll be able to get the big and international order shipped in those two days but if at all possible I will do so.

Sorting Party will be the weekend I get back (21-22 February). If you're not radio_killah and you want to be at the sorting party, shoot me a PM in a week.

I'm going to go ahead and place the SIP socket order. I realize the timing draws this buy out an extra week and a bit but you can bet I'll be monstrous about shipping when I return.

Awesome! Thanks for the updates, and neither of my builds are taking place until March anyways, so this leaves a nice time window anyways.  :thumb:
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #283 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:04:37 »
Show Image

Awesome! Thanks for the updates, and neither of my builds are taking place until March anyways, so this leaves a nice time window anyways.  :thumb:
Yeah, I think all my stuff is coming by 2nd week March, between the red scarf, Miami, and the LEDs. All I have to do now is order some switches, and I will be set for my rs96.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 22 January 2015, 21:06:02 »
Show Image

Yeah, I think all my stuff is coming by 2nd week March, between the red scarf, Miami, and the LEDs. All I have to do now is order some switches, and I will be set for my rs96.

Yeah, I have an acrylic case coming for my Sprit, I have a corsair rgb coming to harvest switches from for that, and then I'll be buying one of the upcoming 1800 kits as well.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:22:23 »
Show Image

I appreciate the optimism, but realistically I don't think you will actually get stuff out before you get back. You will probably be wiped from your trip the first couple days back, so I don't think people should really expect orders to be shipped before march first. That's my feeling. You will have a crap ton of sorting and that **** is going to take forever.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #286 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 22:32:27 »
Show Image

I appreciate the optimism, but realistically I don't think you will actually get stuff out before you get back. You will probably be wiped from your trip the first couple days back, so I don't think people should really expect orders to be shipped before march first. That's my feeling. You will have a crap ton of sorting and that **** is going to take forever.
I am expecting them no earlier than the second week of March, and I am fine since that will give me time to source all the parts since I have decided to change what I am using the LEDs for.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #287 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 10:56:03 »
PM'd about address change :)

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #288 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 10:38:06 »
Nuclear, are the LEDs still expected to arrive on 10th? Any updates with the SIP sockets? Thanks!

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #289 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 19:17:51 »
Nuclear, are the LEDs still expected to arrive on 10th? Any updates with the SIP sockets? Thanks!

I'm wondering this as well.  Idk if he's gonna have time to ship anything befoer he leaves on his trip.  Based on the timeline, I don't think they will be here by the 10th.  The message sent to Nuclear said they will begin production on the order, meaning they did not have that quantity in stock to sell.  Regular shipping from China takes minimum of 1 week, to 4-5 weeks at times.

Nuclear, did they provide a tracking number?  Do you know if it was sent epacket from China, etc?

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #290 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 20:24:04 »

I'm wondering this as well.  Idk if he's gonna have time to ship anything befoer he leaves on his trip.  Based on the timeline, I don't think they will be here by the 10th.  The message sent to Nuclear said they will begin production on the order, meaning they did not have that quantity in stock to sell.  Regular shipping from China takes minimum of 1 week, to 4-5 weeks at times.

Nuclear, did they provide a tracking number?  Do you know if it was sent epacket from China, etc?

I don't mind if he doesn't ship it out before his trip. I just wanted a rough timeline of when I can expect the LEDs and the SIP sockets so I can finish my keyboard :D.

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #291 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:49:45 »

I don't mind if he doesn't ship it out before his trip. I just wanted a rough timeline of when I can expect the LEDs and the SIP sockets so I can finish my keyboard :D.

I feel you there, I've been waiting 5 months to finish my project as well, I need those SIPs!!

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #292 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 16:52:55 »
Anyone kind enough to get me 10 of each color LED?
Thanks in advance.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #293 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:03:37 »
Any updates?

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #294 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:23:16 »
I think he went on the trip already or is busy with something else. He wanted to send me a PM on the 3rd and I haven't received anything even after asking.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #295 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:30:24 »
Wow this buy is taking a lot longer than I would've thought when I saw it come up. I ordered the LEDs directly from aliexpress and got them within like 3 weeks, since I didn't want to wait to finish up my projects.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #296 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:06:34 »
Wow this buy is taking a lot longer than I would've thought when I saw it come up. I ordered the LEDs directly from aliexpress and got them within like 3 weeks, since I didn't want to wait to finish up my projects.
Yeah, LEDs and SIP sockets, order them after the deadline, have them in 2-3 weeks, take a week to sort them uinge a scale to measure them, print labels, then you are done.

Offline Synjin

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #297 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 19:47:16 »
Atleast we got a really good deal on the SIP sockets for this.

Offline Evi1_0ne

« Reply #298 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 20:27:57 »

Yup, the SIPs are really the only thing that's important to me, LEDs can be had anywhere.

Offline ceflame

« Reply #299 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 20:36:36 »

Yup, the SIPs are really the only thing that's important to me, LEDs can be had anywhere.

You can get SIP sockets on ebay for a couple dollars o_O, I haven't really been following, but did you guys source longer legged SIP sockets? If so, that may be worth it.