Author Topic: [IC] GMK Mondrian (GB is live!)  (Read 43974 times)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
Re: [IC] GMK Mondrian (Kit Updated and it's $55 only!)
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 20:58:50 »
So someone giving an idea about halving the kit, so we only need 75 people to order because 1 people need to order 2 kits.

The only drawback is there will be no accent 2u spacebars.

What do you think?

So, just for clarification would the total price increase? For example, 2 kits = $55 still?

Also, I think it is a shame to lose the accent 2u spacebars, but I can live without them.

Regardless, I am fully committed to buying into this once it moves to the GB stage.

I'm also wondering about this, is it 2 kits = $55, or is it $55/kit which equals $110 for two kits?

The $55 is for full kit like in 1st post, not the halved. I'm not yet get the halved price yet.

Offline merintil

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 07:17:34 »
Excellent! That's really good news!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 05:51:37 »
I want to give clarification regarding the price, sure the quotation said is $55 for the full kit, but after some talks with more experienced member it can't be taken as the selling price per se. There's still some 'invisible' expense, starting with shipping and tax at the very basic, then logistics for shipping, and the most hidden one is 'risk cost' which means when things go south (like, shipping replacement keys) there's still money to use NOT from the organizer's pocket to handle. And of course there's profit margin to be considered if we are going to use a 3rd party vendor.

So after do some math, selling price will be $83 for Mondrian full kit (91 keys) if this is done by me which located in Indonesia.

And I just get the halved quotation from GMK which is $36.5 per kit (52 keys). And after do some more math the selling price will be $59 and that means $118 for usable kit (two of it).

At this point I'm leaning towards the full 91 keys kit compared to the halved  :-X

But if we ever get a vendor who is located nearer to GMK factory (someone in Germany will be the best one) the story will be all different.

That's it, feel free to give your opinion :)

Offline ibotty

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 04:17:41 »
I am a total noob regarding custom keycaps, but what kind of "vendor" is required in/near Germany? I know some industry in Germany, I could provide contacts. Or is it vendor as in distributes to/from factory to the group buyers?

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 05:14:04 »
I am a total noob regarding custom keycaps, but what kind of "vendor" is required in/near Germany? I know some industry in Germany, I could provide contacts. Or is it vendor as in distributes to/from factory to the group buyers?

The vendor I mean is like UKkeycaps.com or originative.com or keyclack.com

Offline loar

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 05:18:01 »

You could try to contact candykeys. They're based in Germany, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 05:20:44 »

You could try to contact candykeys. They're based in Germany, if I'm not mistaken.

Wow much thx! I didn't know that store up until you said it. Will contact them if ukkeycaps turn down my proposal :)

Offline hansichen

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 05:39:43 »
I think ukkeycaps/mechsupply is a bit busy at the moment with the devlin desaster :/ And candykeys looks like they are doing their own stuff and not care so much about group buys. I don't think that they want to run it :(

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 06:16:53 »
Well, if you're thinking about vendors in the UK, maybe MechBoards or CAPS UNLOCKED could help you out.
MechBoards recently acted as an EU-proxy for the GMK Coniferous group buy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:35:15 by ehmlis »

Offline hansichen

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 06:27:56 »
With mechboards you should make sure that they remember to collect VAT  :)) Capsunlocked could be a good vendor for this buy, they seem to be very interested in gmk buys and if we can have a good survey with a decent amount of interested people this may work.

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 07:26:43 »
Jebbra ~~ just saw this on Reddit, a new vendor in the U.K. Who explicitly states that they want to help with group buys - https://smashingacrylics.co.uk/

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/60mzn3/new_uk_vendor_smashing_acrylics_also_launching/?st=J0JIKM7H&sh=a54ab152

Now... at the risk of getting in trouble with you... HI PRO PLANCK PLSSS

Offline ehmlis

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 08:11:49 »
[...]
A new vendor in the U.K. Who explicitly states that they want to help with group buys.
[...]

Quote from: Smashing Acrylics
Assist with a Group Buy
Want to offer something to the community but need assistance producing a case to go with it? We can help. We can help produce prototypes, refine designs and work within any budget. Get in touch.

I don't know if they would help with a keycap group buy, what they​ specifically mention is that they can help out by producing cases.
However, it wouldn't really hurt to ask, I guess.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 March 2017, 11:08:21 by ehmlis »

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 09:29:14 »
Candykeys have its own stock on DSA Candy which is in collaboration with one of enthusiast too.  Maybe they have a soft spot for blank keys. I know ukkeycaps is in an overwhelmed condition but the reason I contacted them first—along with MD—because they dedication on supporting Planck keycaps (Devlin blank, DevZ, and DevK, even restocking the blanks).

Seems like I need to do a decent 3D render and put them on MD vote to gather real data interest then I'll reach out the other vendors after it.

Jebbra ~~ just saw this on Reddit, a new vendor in the U.K. Who explicitly states that they want to help with group buys - https://smashingacrylics.co.uk/

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/60mzn3/new_uk_vendor_smashing_acrylics_also_launching/?st=J0JIKM7H&sh=a54ab152

Lol sorry maan as I stated on reddit I'm getting married on April 1st so the spare time I have is used to moving around here and there preparing it (and working my daily job). I will continue after it, I promise. I can update Mondrian because this only need internet connection to do ;D

Offline ectoplasmatic

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 10:55:09 »
Candykeys have its own stock on DSA Candy which is in collaboration with one of enthusiast too.  Maybe they have a soft spot for blank keys. I know ukkeycaps is in an overwhelmed condition but the reason I contacted them first—along with MD—because they dedication on supporting Planck keycaps (Devlin blank, DevZ, and DevK, even restocking the blanks).

Seems like I need to do a decent 3D render and put them on MD vote to gather real data interest then I'll reach out the other vendors after it.

Lol sorry maan as I stated on reddit I'm getting married on April 1st so the spare time I have is used to moving around here and there preparing it (and working my daily job). I will continue after it, I promise. I can update Mondrian because this only need internet connection to do ;D

oh man! sorry I had no idea! great news. Wish you and your partner all the best. I got married last year so I know how much work that is as well - running a GB at the same time would be hell! I'll bug you again in a few months ;)

Offline JDT79

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 23:46:18 »
If this ever goes to GB status count me in!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 00:59:22 »
Just some render I just made, because the vendor ask me to. Yes, I already get the vendor, hope it will go well!

167148-0

167150-1

Offline loar

Re: [IC] GMK Mondrian ()
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 08:48:51 »
Just some render I just made, because the vendor ask me to. Yes, I already get the vendor, hope it will go well!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Are those convex 1Us ?

Envoyé de mon Nexus 5X en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:44:20 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Are those convex 1Us ?

Yes those are

Offline loar

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 12:54:34 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Are those convex 1Us ?

Yes those are

Didn't even knew that the molds existed. That set is going to be so nice.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 17:10:44 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Oh good lord it's beautiful. I was down for a Case A, now I'm in for the lot. A UK vendor would be such a relief as well.

Offline hansichen

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 00:55:40 »
Capsunlocked showed interest in a blank keyset, so maybe your hopes come reality. Let's just hope it's not keyclack or you will lose all EU buyers.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 05:24:25 »
Well, it was Caps Unlocked. Last communication was he ask me some renders but no further communication after I sent them :)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 05:31:59 »
Capsunlocked showed interest in a blank keyset, so maybe your hopes come reality. Let's just hope it's not keyclack or you will lose all EU buyers.

May I know what happened with Keyclack for EU buyers?

Offline hansichen

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:33:01 »
Hm, that's unfortunate :/ Maybe they just had too much work at the last time.

Keyclack charges like 47$ shipping for a gmk set to the EU, that's not very appealing for buyers, especially for a lower priced item like this one.

Offline rrrsss

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 06:33:39 »
yay it's finally progressing  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Really like the convex keys addition!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 23:17:18 »
Final arrangement before I submit to the vendor tonight (about 8 hours from now). Whad do you think?

167678-0

Offline ns90

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 23:34:16 »
I just ran through the thread again, and maybe I missed it, but is it going to be sold as a half, or full set? Either way I'm in!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 00:15:59 »
I just ran through the thread again, and maybe I missed it, but is it going to be sold as a half, or full set? Either way I'm in!

Full! Sorry I forgot confirming this. Halving the set just made the price too much, sadly.

Offline blandname

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 17:39:14 »
I'm in as well!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 06 May 2017, 21:07:49 »
Blanck gmk keys cost about 40% less than their doubleshot counterparts.

So if you're selling 60 1u keys, the price should be €27, plus your expenses for delivery etc

And having bars would be a must.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 May 2017, 21:19:01 by Giorgio »

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 06:01:04 »
Now this is something! Didn't even think to find me some blank GMK. Do you have an estimate on how much will this be?

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 07 May 2017, 20:01:10 »
Wow those renders look amazing, can't wait to see this one come to life. You said you already got a vendor right? When do you think you will have more information on price and GB dates?

Offline olieatstofu

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 14:44:04 »
I gotta have this! Also waiting patiently for the end game planck case. I hope one of the EU shops can help out with this buy because it's a beautiful idea.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 02:48:00 »
What are the two extra convex 1u keycaps for? Also, any chance for ErgoDox support?
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 May 2017, 02:49:42 by e_l_tang »

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 23:33:34 »
What are the two extra convex 1u keycaps for? Also, any chance for ErgoDox support?

The two 1u convex keys are for those people who use the grid layout which has two 1u keys instead of a single 2u key for the spacebar

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 02:12:38 »
What's the price of this set?

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 12:04:13 »

The two 1u convex keys are for those people who use the grid layout which has two 1u keys instead of a single 2u key for the spacebar
I see that now. But then shouldn't there be more convex 1u keycaps in the other colors?

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 22:24:04 »

So if you're selling 60 1u keys, the price should be €27, plus your expenses for delivery etc

The quote from GMK is already past that price. Maybe it can be that lower if the order come with usual 'base kit' too. Sorry but seems like we will go with scoop for cleaner look :)

I see that now. But then shouldn't there be more convex 1u keycaps in the other colors?

We got 2 convex 1u in each color, is that still not enough? I put them with the intention of lower raise key. Even if you are using grid, and want colored spacebar button, there is still enough colored convex keys to use.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 22:26:46 »
For the update,

– GB will be done via Caps Unlocked yay!
– I still don't have final pricing on this set yet, still waiting the invoice from GMK

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 22:32:33 »

The quote from GMK is already past that price. Maybe it can be that lower if the order come with usual 'base kit' too. Sorry but seems like we will go with scoop for cleaner look :)

We got 2 convex 1u in each color, is that still not enough? I put them with the intention of lower raise key. Even if you are using grid, and want colored spacebar button, there is still enough colored convex keys to use.
The case where I want all four keys to be colored is not covered.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 02:18:26 »
Colored in 1 color? If we want the kit to cover it then by that logic all row must be covered too, and it end up with 4x4 each color (5x5 if we count Preonic). I don't intend to do this that way. Remember that the purpose of colored keys are to 'mark' some keys. But with what you said, maybe it is better if there are no additional R4c white keys? Might as well removing colored 2u convex keys, what do you think?

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 09:33:39 »
Colored in 1 color? If we want the kit to cover it then by that logic all row must be covered too, and it end up with 4x4 each color (5x5 if we count Preonic). I don't intend to do this that way. Remember that the purpose of colored keys are to 'mark' some keys. But with what you said, maybe it is better if there are no additional R4c white keys? Might as well removing colored 2u convex keys, what do you think?
The main thing is to allow Grid users to be able to create the same patterns as MIT users can. There are many ways to go about that and I'm not sure which is best.

Offline Thereminz

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 06:05:30 »
Needs black keys, doesn't look right without it

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 21:09:59 »
Needs black keys, doesn't look right without it

The black on Mondrian's artwork is forming a line, not space like the other colors. I choose to take the black from the gap between keys instead of using black keys because the black will be too bold if come in the size of the other color (and it will be too much keys needed if we want to make a line from black keys).

Offline nickw

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 05 June 2017, 16:46:41 »
I'm definitely interested in something like this.

Mainly, I'm just interested in a set of GMK blanks.  I would actually prefer some more interesting colours, but anything that's made directly for planck style boards is a good start.

convex keys for R4 would be nice too.  I usually resort to flipping the middle 6 (thumb) keys on my grid layout to put them at an angle where the edges don't make my thumbs sore.

Problem is, even if you buy a nice full set of alphas,  usually the bottom row and edges end up as random junk.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 23:57:43 »
definitely could use some black like others have stated imo.

the black lines aren't just black lines of same thickness in some of his works.
sometimes they're blocks like the other colors.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 00:28:17 »
Okay just start a poll for black keys addition then :D
>> http://www.strawpoll.me/13131048 <<

Another thing I take note about not including black keys is the price, I want to make this as low as possible. That and the artwork I take for reference is Composition with Red Blue and Yellow, 1930 which most representation of it don't include the black (even the name doesn't suggest it).

But again, poll will do the justice here. I don't mind if it is what people really want (and people don't mind about the price hike, of course).

For some reference, I think we may look at the $70 as the final price which is fair to say a bit high compared to some add-on kit of GMK usually appear on popular set like Carbon or Yuri. But I think it's understandable because we don't have the base kit order here like another set so there's no reason for GMK to put some discount on this. That said, adding the black maybe will add another $10, maybe.

Offline garbo

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 21:08:40 »
The poll options don't seem to be set up particularly impartially  :p
The current proposal is fine with me, FWIW. Seems like trying to satisfy everyone with something like this would lead to a kind of feature creep. Better to stick with how you want to do it and keep price down. I suppose if MOQ wasn't an issue the answer would be to split it into a million tiny kits.

Offline ns90

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 23:12:18 »
I understand the desire for black lines, especially with regards to Mondrian, but I don't think including some black keycaps will achieve the desired effect.

Offline ShishKabobJerry

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 01:49:43 »
I understand the desire for black lines, especially with regards to Mondrian, but I don't think including some black keycaps will achieve the desired effect.

Exactamundo. The white with the other colors look just fine.