Author Topic: [IC] DSA Cassette - A retro DSA kit based on a classic VHS sleeve  (Read 6385 times)

Offline __

• Cartel
Cartel (in collaboration with u/JadsPure2) is delighted to announce DSA Cassette, a new keyset coming soon to cartel.ltd.

DSA Cassette
IC FORM LINK

Background
The 80’s is defined by many as the era of Reaganomics, Star Wars, and Madonna - but one of the most under-appreciated aspects of the time, was its unique aesthetic style. Subdued neutral colors coupled with bright accents could be found in everyday objects; ranging from consoles, to home appliances, to - you guessed it, cassette tapes.

Inspiration
Inspired by the design of the JVC E-180 video cassette container, Cassette strives to recreate the aesthetics that saturated the 80’s: neutral bases and a splash of vibrant hues for accents.

Design
Cassette will be DSA profile, provided by none other than Signature Plastics. They will be doubleshot ABS, ensuring that the legends stay crisp for the lifetime of the caps. Depending on which accent keys you utilize, the look of Cassette can change rather drastically. With a plethora of color options available at your disposal, Cassette can look as exuberant or as minimal as you wish.

How your Cassette looks is up to you. Novelties include BETAMAX legends, cassette tapes, and VHS tapes, both in rich mauve and royal blue. But we didn’t stop there; also included within the novelties kit, is a set of retro playback controls including “Eject” escape buttons and more - all of which you can find in the kit renders below. 

Imgur Album

Whether you’re looking for something to bring your desk a retro vibe or just looking for a little colorful flair, Cassette will have you covered.

Keep your eyes peeled for updates regarding pricing, MOQ, and the projected timeline!
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 17:53:07 by __ »

Offline Encabulator

Re: [IC] DSA Cassette - A retro DSA kit based on a classic VHS sleeve
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 17:42:13 »
Looks nice

I'm jadspure btw
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline bkw1209

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 19:00:07 »
Very nice, interested in

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 19:15:18 »
Pretty slick.  Reminds me of Oblotzky's arcane set, colorwise, but I dig the beige in it.

Offline TheMissingPiece

• TheAverageOne
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 22:06:28 »
Given the colors (aside from the novelties), I feel like dye-sub XDA would be a good fit for this set.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 00:21:29 »
Given the colors (aside from the novelties), I feel like dye-sub XDA would be a good fit for this set.

I’d prefer double shot. Does anyone do double shot XDA?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 06:21:36 »
No double shot XDA.
keyboards.

Offline monkeysontoast

• Editor, dork, human - powered by pizza & nostalgia
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 07:59:30 »
I think the set looks pretty nice, but I'm not getting the inspiration. When I saw your thread title, there was a very specific picture that jumped to mind, and this isn't it. Most of the popular blank VHS manufacturer's in the 80s had sunset type colors (Sony, Scotch) or similar bands of colors. Even the JVC tape that you used for inspiration has a third color, which you don't seem to be using in your set. Even so, I think warmer colors were more popular on VHS sleeves back then, so this just doesn't conjure VHS for me, unfortunately.

Cool inspiration, though! Good luck!  :)

Offline __

• Cartel
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 01:09:19 »
I think the set looks pretty nice, but I'm not getting the inspiration. When I saw your thread title, there was a very specific picture that jumped to mind, and this isn't it. Most of the popular blank VHS manufacturer's in the 80s had sunset type colors (Sony, Scotch) or similar bands of colors. Even the JVC tape that you used for inspiration has a third color, which you don't seem to be using in your set. Even so, I think warmer colors were more popular on VHS sleeves back then, so this just doesn't conjure VHS for me, unfortunately.

Cool inspiration, though! Good luck!  :)

We certainly all have different imagery related to this era I'm sure. For me, my parents were suckers for JVC's stuff, so I had a lot of these boxes lying around home, and we had similarly colored betamax from when my dad jumped on that bandwagon and rode it to it's bitter end.

I know which color scheme you're thinking of - popular for a specific era of BASF tapes in particular. Scotch liked a series of gray or single color bars behind their sunburst sphere. Polaroid and every other era of BASF tape liked streaking rainbows over a two color gradient or solid white or black box, Maxell was all over the place. Emtec, JVC, TDK and Meletronic were having affairs with blues and purples, and Kodak was trying to monopolize the world's supply of yellow inks and dyes. We chose this theme because these were colors that were strong in their presence during the cassette era, and the JVC sleeve in particular embodied them. We do in fact have all 4 colors of the sleeve on here, both the white and beige are present, as well as the blue and purple. It may be difficult to spot the difference between the beige and white on some display screens though, so it's possible they're bleeding together for some viewers.

Offline ambalek

• Pizza tonight/Threat neutralized
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 10:22:00 »
When I see VHS I still hear 're-record not fade away'

I thought this set would use the Scotch video tape colours  :))

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 19:37:21 »
Oh this looks awesome, this would get way more attention if you posted the pictures within GH to avoid clicking on links.  :thumb:

Offline midnightrun

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 02:14:21 »
Tempting :)

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 09:29:19 »
This set look awesome!!  :eek:

I definitely want one. Maybe it would even be better in SA profile to make it more vintage!  :p

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 13:38:17 »
I'm interested, looks quite good. I will second though that I would be a lot more interested if it were XDA, DSA feels cramped and harsh and I think the vintage vibe would work better with the wider XDA tops too.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline ChimairaSpawn

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 13:06:16 »
This looks fantastic, I'm definitely intrigued

Offline Narandelar

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 16:07:11 »
I really like the colors on this set! I'm glad its DSA and that theres a Planck kit as well :D

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 14:25:18 »
Any update on this?

Offline Combonaut

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 21:25:37 »
I'm interested! Great work!

I LOVE the play/stop/pause keys, I have dedicated media keys on my boards and these would be so handy!
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 May 2018, 12:36:26 by Combonaut »

Offline kebodo

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 21:50:34 »
i like this a lot, BUT only if the alphas are the same beige as the mods. im so over white.

Offline young_won

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 23:15:59 »
Wow :eek:  awesome
I want to one set!