Author Topic: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK  (Read 222806 times)

Offline KaosJ

Re: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 16:00:37 »
So my brass weight has some sort of tarnish on it which looks like it was may be caused by the bubble wrap, it is coated in some sort material it seems and maybe not directly polished. I'd like to ask what that material may be so that I can correctly either fix the issue or strip it and directly polish the brass. I'm going to try using Coke but I'm not sure it's going to have any effect with this material.
that looks like it is underneath the pvd layer.  You would have to strip off the protective pvd layer and then polish the brass underneath.  Then subject it again to pvd treatment in order to get the same look.  Not an easy process, I suggest get a replacement or live with it. 

afaik is not PVD.  Probably electroplated or eplated+some plastic coat.   Was too cheap in price for PVD. 

btw asking him some more photos in pms to check
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 May 2018, 16:06:18 by KaosJ »

Offline rippor

« Reply #401 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 20:57:06 »
So i just finished building mine and im having trouble programming it with QMK since ive never used it and dont know how to code. Anyone have any good youtube videos or writeups that would help?

Offline bball2

« Reply #402 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 22:44:34 »
So i just finished building mine and im having trouble programming it with QMK since ive never used it and dont know how to code. Anyone have any good youtube videos or writeups that would help?

I think this top clack video is pretty good:

Offline spyruf

« Reply #403 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 01:13:11 »
Anyone have more pictures? There were some great pictures in a post on r/mechmarket but it seems the post was removed.

Offline m4us

• regretting ISO User
« Reply #404 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 03:38:07 »

I think this top clack video is pretty good:

Be careful I seems that the melody96 branch hasnt been merged to the official qmk repo

Offline Mustangdvx

« Reply #405 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 10:46:18 »
Be careful I seems that the melody96 branch hasnt been merged to the official qmk repo

I'm not great with git but do you see a branch out there already?

Offline m4us

• regretting ISO User
« Reply #406 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 10:56:10 »

I know from Vincent that they work in their private repo, so you can only see it after he merges the branch.

Offline rippor

« Reply #407 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 10:58:55 »

I know from Vincent that they work in their private repo, so you can only see it after he merges the branch.

So i just have to use the base layout for now? i saw the YMDK96 one on github, is that not the right one?

Offline m4us

• regretting ISO User
« Reply #408 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 11:06:16 »

So i just have to use the base layout for now? i saw the YMDK96 one on github, is that not the right one?
Not necessarily, it's for the ymdk96 which may have a different pcb. Flash at your own risk.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #409 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 11:08:46 »
Got slapped with duty fees :( I hate DHL...

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #410 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 14:28:25 »

F

pics tho

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #411 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 15:59:20 »

F

pics tho
There isn't really anything I can show that Woovie hasn't already, except for the Cyan bottom under different lighting: https://imgur.com/a/aSS4fjY
If there's anything short of actually building the board anyone would like pictured lmk (I won't be building until later next week sadly.)

Offline PhantomTaco

« Reply #412 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 16:02:26 »

F

pics tho
There isn't really anything I can show that Woovie hasn't already, except for the Cyan bottom under different lighting: https://imgur.com/a/aSS4fjY
If there's anything short of actually building the board anyone would like pictured lmk (I won't be building until later next week sadly.)

I'd love to see some more photos of the cyan! Out of curiousity how close do you think the cyan matches the cyan on say gmk skeletor?

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #413 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:35:28 »

F

pics tho

I'd love to see some more photos of the cyan! Out of curiousity how close do you think the cyan matches the cyan on say gmk skeletor?
The cyan is really hard to reproduce on camera but I would say this is pretty close (irl it's slightly greener):
GMK Skeletor's blue is a deeper more vibrant blue, but I think they will pair together quite well.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:38:56 by PotatoTM »

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #414 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 18:09:31 »
Through further inspection and testing of my PCB my reset button was actually fallen out and I had not noticed it at the bottom of the bag... but I don't think it matters too much as I can still "click" it. (https://imgur.com/a/wwBRXyk)

Also, by shorting each key individually the keys to the right of the spacebar (except for alt) seem to be unprogrammed or unconnected (https://i.imgur.com/eBeSQjM.png) hopefully il be able to fix this by just reprogramming the board.

EDIT: for anyone trying to clean up the "blotches" on the brass weight so far I've tried alcohol (did nothing) and lighter fluid (lessened the lighter marks but did nothing to the darker ones)
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 May 2018, 21:28:36 by PotatoTM »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #415 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 04:06:38 »
Through further inspection and testing of my PCB my reset button was actually fallen out and I had not noticed it at the bottom of the bag... but I don't think it matters too much as I can still "click" it. (https://imgur.com/a/wwBRXyk)

Also, by shorting each key individually the keys to the right of the spacebar (except for alt) seem to be unprogrammed or unconnected (https://i.imgur.com/eBeSQjM.png) hopefully il be able to fix this by just reprogramming the board.

EDIT: for anyone trying to clean up the "blotches" on the brass weight so far I've tried alcohol (did nothing) and lighter fluid (lessened the lighter marks but did nothing to the darker ones)

Regarding brass weight, he will try to figure it out.  Try with alchol or isopropyl in the meantime. 

Regarding reset idk, can yuo re-attack it / re-solder it?

Offline quadfreak

« Reply #416 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 13:22:09 »
invoice M001. been a month since i confirmed my address. still no shipping details  :confused:

Offline arninja21

« Reply #417 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 13:50:48 »
invoice M001. been a month since i confirmed my address. still no shipping details  :confused:

Try sending a follow up email. That is what i did and Vincent replied.  I got an acrylic bottom and it will be assembled so i guess it will take time.

Offline quadfreak

« Reply #418 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:09:07 »

Try sending a follow up email. That is what i did and Vincent replied.  I got an acrylic bottom and it will be assembled so i guess it will take time.

I did. No reply yet. Mine was all black alum top/bottom/plate w/ brass weight. unassembled

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #419 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:16:47 »
Maybe a good thing? Gives them time to work out the cosmetic issues with the brass weight.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #420 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:38:02 »
Maybe a good thing? Gives them time to work out the cosmetic issues with the brass weight.

Yep. 

Also, If anyone can, please shot a video while cleaning the brass weight  (alchol possibly) so i can see that these marks are not over the coating (you can pm me as well). 

I warned Vincent in the meantime, he saw the photos, he said he will look into it but for now he believes that if these are not superficial marks, it's a packing problem. If the issue is confirmed to be right, i'm starting to believe that these marks are from the bubblewrap getting impressed slightly in the coat and not under the coat, because they said to have checked manually each piece.   

Also do not alarm, more people got the melody and they have it shiny and good. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 May 2018, 14:40:02 by KaosJ »

Offline JaxXz

« Reply #421 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 16:45:42 »

those keys are set to FN

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #422 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 01:35:34 »
Yep, il need to give reprogramming it a shot soon.

Built mine with Tealios: https://imgur.com/a/FAEJt3J, don't have a proper keyset for it yet...

Offline jihadu

« Reply #423 on: Sun, 20 May 2018, 17:16:31 »
Any news on the EU proxy side?

Offline CallumMcG

« Reply #424 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 03:01:35 »

I did. No reply yet. Mine was all black alum top/bottom/plate w/ brass weight. unassembled

I'm order M014 and I emailed him on Apr 24 and he got back to me today saying that it's with DHL. I'm also in the first batch I believe, titanium top/bottom with brass plate and weight.

Offline unluckygamer

« Reply #425 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 08:46:01 »
Any update on the acrylic bottom ones?

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #426 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 10:42:17 »

Should either be shipped or getting ready for shipment as most of us with acrylic bottoms have received the email to confirm contact details and address.

Offline Tasteless

« Reply #427 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 10:45:49 »

Should either be shipped or getting ready for shipment as most of us with acrylic bottoms have received the email to confirm contact details and address.

Not sure this is a safe bet.  People in batch one are still just now getting notifications that their package is in DHL's hands after confirming address over a month ago. Hope you're right though... really kicking myself for going acrylic right about now.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #428 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 10:46:07 »
The only address confirmation I ever had was back in February. No emails about it since. Apparently I'm M162, so I guess mine should be shipping soon, it it hasn't already.
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Cpt0bvius

« Reply #429 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 13:22:58 »
Is anyone able to PM me the email address that sent you the address verification or verify if it was the same email listed on the paypal invoice? I'm a bit paranoid that it will slip into spam and I won't catch it.(M116)
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2018, 13:25:13 by Cpt0bvius »

Offline Tasteless

« Reply #430 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 13:36:27 »
Is anyone able to PM me the email address that sent you the address verification or verify if it was the same email listed on the paypal invoice? I'm a bit paranoid that it will slip into spam and I won't catch it.(M116)

Mine came from the email in his signature (Vincent.zhao@ymdkey.com)

Offline Cpt0bvius

« Reply #431 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 13:55:54 »
Mine came from the email in his signature (Vincent.zhao@ymdkey.com)

Thanks.

Offline mousetrap00

« Reply #432 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 23:41:57 »
Ive just gotten an email regarding the staying to acrylic bottom or choosing alu bottom. Hope mine ships soon  ;D

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #433 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 23:45:48 »
Ive just gotten an email regarding the staying to acrylic bottom or choosing alu bottom. Hope mine ships soon  ;D

Switching to aluminum means we lose the underglow, right?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #434 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 23:50:27 »

Yep, that regards all the kits with an acrylic bottom in it.  They returned to the old design for acrylic bottom (acr flat with alu).

Imho is even better because the rgb should spread better, but you should have some options if you don't like it. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2018, 23:58:57 by KaosJ »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #435 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 23:51:08 »

Right. This other acrylic should spread RGB better and is flat with the surface instead of having the same design of the alu version.

Offline CallumMcG

« Reply #436 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 02:54:07 »
Vincent sent me this pdf file for programming up the Melody96 if anyone else is interested: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oJmSfjgs_DugsvloO9VaO5KWvwS4T2OX/view

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #437 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 03:06:58 »
I know everyone who ordered an acrylic base received the same email, but just in case anyone else is curious here's the link showing the slight changes made to the design

https://imgur.com/a/fJzyQM0

Still looking pretty good IMO. Vincent gave the option to upgrade to the alu bottom+brass weight with some added cost, but I decided to stick with the acrylic.

Offline jihadu

« Reply #438 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 04:47:04 »

Right. This other acrylic should spread RGB better and is flat with the surface instead of having the same design of the alu version.
I would like to switch to aluminum, but I ordered through the EU proxy. Will it be  possible to switch in that case?

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #439 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 06:30:50 »
Huh, that's perfect, I wanted to change to the aluminum anyway.

Still excited to get mine!

Offline building_an_ergo

« Reply #440 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 07:41:03 »
I would like to switch to aluminum, but I ordered through the EU proxy. Will it be  possible to switch in that case?

I assume the e-mails were already sent out.  If you didn't get it, maybe yours was one of the few that already shipped.

Offline CallumMcG

« Reply #441 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 07:53:41 »

I assume the e-mails were already sent out.  If you didn't get it, maybe yours was one of the few that already shipped.

I believe that the email was also sent out to orders that had been already shipped as mine had been shipped already and I received the email (Although I had already upgraded to Kit2 I still got the email for the acrylic issue). It might be a bit different with the EU proxy, especially because I assume all of the orders would ship at once and Vincent said that they would be in the last batch. I guess your best bet would be to email him?

Offline Tasteless

« Reply #442 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 10:19:31 »
Went ahead and upgraded mine to aluminum.  Had been regretting choosing acrylic anyways.

Offline arninja21

« Reply #443 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 11:37:05 »
I'm sticking with the acrylic, since it still looks nice with rgb. Hopefully it ships soon.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #444 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:05:48 »

Write to Candykeys

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #445 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:07:53 »
Some nice pics of the new acr from a guy from reddit

Offline unluckygamer

« Reply #446 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:26:04 »
It is me or I can barely notice the difference between the new ACR and the old one? Also anyone know how much it cost for the upgrade?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #447 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:30:11 »
Also anyone know how much it cost for the upgrade?

In GB was: 

+$50 for alu and included the brass weight. 
+$20 for the brass plate instead of alu but i'm not sure if you can upgrade this as well.

It is me or I can barely notice the difference between the new ACR and the old one?

The other acrylic (rejected) was the same design of alu, with the edges angled like this:

Offline happycamper87

« Reply #448 on: Tue, 22 May 2018, 13:38:49 »
Damn does that look nice. Can't wait to get mine! Glad I stuck with the acrylic!

Offline Anaconda

« Reply #449 on: Wed, 23 May 2018, 14:09:55 »
Still no shipping info on mine even though my order invoice number was m063. How does the shipping work for europeans outside of the proxy?