Author Topic: Say goodbye to rattling costar stabilizers - Band-Aid Mod  (Read 26463 times)

Offline josephchoi

• JCKeyboards
Say goodbye to rattling costar stabilizers - Band-Aid Mod
« on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 02:38:12 »
You may find that lubing alone may not fully eliminate all the rattles on costar stabs.
Or the rattles just gone for awhile, then it comes back after using a period of time.
Here is how I deal with the rattles besides just adding lubes.

First, we must know where the rattles come from.
198662-0
As shown in the image, the rattles come from the collision between the insert 's hole and the stabs wire, which marked in red lines.
Why are there collision? Because the wire usually doesn't fit in that hole.
There are tiny gaps between the wire and the hole (in top and bottom aspect)
So, to effectively eliminate the rattling, the goal should be minimizing the gaps and make the wire fit in better.

Band-Aid Mod :eek:
Yeah, it's Band-Aid Mod, not just for Cherry stabs :thumb:

198664-1
cut a little piece of fabric Band-Aid and cut it to a more rounded shape (bad example in the image, which is square-shaped)

198666-2
Then carefully stick the Band-Aid piece to the stabs insert as shown above.

198668-3
After that, you may want to apply some lube here. I use Permatex dielectric grease here.
Beware, the amount of lube should depends on how tight the wire fit in the insert hole after adding band-aid.
If your stabs become mushy, try wipe out the lube and reduce the amount, or use a less viscous lube.

Here is the effect:
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av22910824?zw
In the video, Right-shift and Enter are lubed without band-aid mod, while others are lubed with band-aid mod.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 02:41:14 by josephchoi »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: Say goodbye to rattling costar stabilizers - Band-Aid Mod
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 05:14:08 »
Neat! I'll try this out on my next costar stab board if I ever get one to boot.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 05:27:12 »
scotch tape is probably much smoother than bandaid and would have a similar tightening effect.

the stab has to be super clean for the tape to stick though.

Overall.. the looos-ness  is what makes costar uniquely smooth among all the stabilizer types..   So,  certainly this mod will improve rattle,  but that has an inverse relationship to -smoothness-

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 05:28:58 »
scotch tape is probably much smoother than bandaid and would have a similar tightening effect.

Overall.. the looos-ness  is what makes costar uniquely smooth among all the stabilizer types..   So,  certainly this mod will improve rattle,  but that has an inverse relationship to -smoothness-

Interesting. Thanks for the little tip!

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline josephchoi

• JCKeyboards
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 08:10:26 »

In my case, I didn’t notice any decrease of smoothness.
The Band-aid didn’t make the wire fit tight with the insert, just make the excessive gap smaller.

Scotch tape maybe a better choice, idk, haven’t tried.
Haven’t tried scotch type yet, but I afraid the adhesiveness of it is not strong enough to keep it in place.
Also, in term of cushioning, I think fabric band-aid is a better choice.
Worth trying though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 08:13:24 by josephchoi »

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 11:59:44 »
Has anyone ever tried applying heatshrink tubing to the stabilizer wire ends? 2mm tubing should shrink down nice and tight on a stabilizer wire.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 12:48:45 »
Has anyone ever tried applying heatshrink tubing to the stabilizer wire ends? 2mm tubing should shrink down nice and tight on a stabilizer wire.

That's a good idea.. but it's def wayyy too thick..

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:02:21 »
plasti-dip is what i've used.
-Dana

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 16:07:44 »
Some good ideas. I'll be trying some.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 20:04:50 »

Actually, I put heat shrink on the main expanse to dampen vibrations.

Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 20:28:58 »
My costar stabilizers hardly ever rattle, in fact, it is more common for me to have the opposite problem of them being a bit too stiff. That is fixed by reaming the hole a bit that the stabilizers clip into.

That is ignoring the 'clack' when you release the key, but that is my favorite thing about them, personally :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 June 2018, 20:30:45 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline josephchoi

• JCKeyboards
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 21:04:56 »
My costar stabilizers hardly ever rattle, in fact, it is more common for me to have the opposite problem of them being a bit too stiff. That is fixed by reaming the hole a bit that the stabilizers clip into.

That is ignoring the 'clack' when you release the key, but that is my favorite thing about them, personally :)

:cool: I am curious, which model of keyboard are you talking about?

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 03:16:24 »

:cool: I am curious, which model of keyboard are you talking about?
What do you mean? I mean on my custom made ones. I have various types of costar stab sets, I haven't actually encountered one that rattles before, so I found this strange. I suppose it is just a brand I have missed somehow.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 03:40:05 »
Why not try to find a larger diameter wire to use for the stabilizer? Would it interfere with other parts? I only have cherry stabs.

Offline josephchoi

• JCKeyboards
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 03:43:21 »
What do you mean? I mean on my custom made ones. I have various types of costar stab sets, I haven't actually encountered one that rattles before, so I found this strange. I suppose it is just a brand I have missed somehow.

wow, I thought yours are a branded keyboard so I was curious at which brand is it.
AFAIK, costar stabilizers are infamous for their rattling, they exist even at high quality keyboards like Filco.
In my experience, both my custom made keyboard and Filco MJ2 rattles even after lubed.
Not rattling seriously but they do exist. That's why I tried this Band-Aid Mod.

Also, you mentioned "too stiff" for your costar stabs, it's my first time to hear someone finds costar stabs too stiff.

Offline josephchoi

• JCKeyboards
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 03:45:57 »
Why not try to find a larger diameter wire to use for the stabilizer? Would it interfere with other parts? I only have cherry stabs.

Sure thing... if they do exist :p
I think I may have better chance finding stabs insert with smaller hole :))

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 01:17:54 »

What size heat shrink do you use?
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 11:32:20 »
Every Costar stabilizer board should come with a roll of scotch tape.

Offline atarione

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 16:26:37 »
meh... I don't hear any rattle (or rattle that bugs me) on my Filco..

perhaps I'm not touchy enough for this hobby?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 22:55:06 »

It was a while back, but I would imagine it was 1/16 or 1/8in, probably the latter.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 01:22:51 »

It was a while back, but I would imagine it was 1/16 or 1/8in, probably the latter.

Okay, thanks  :)
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Starius

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 06:09:52 »
This looks like the same kind of stabilizer used on WASD keyboards.  I'll have to try something like this on mine.

I just wish there was a better way to keep those little plastic bits in the keycap than scotch tape.
Make it a pain if you want to swap keycaps often. 

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 22:39:04 »
Just came across this from an unrelated google search

To OP, try bending the wire instead, you can achieve non-rattliness by mechanical means, inserting a band-aid there seems too frictiony

I even 3D-printed custom inserts at one point, but the ultimate solution was through modifying the wire: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72076.0 (I haven't updated this post, in the photo I tried bending the wire downwards, but bending it upwards is the way to go)

Over the years, I've come across 1-2 others who also discovered this on their own, PM'ed one of them on Reddit, he was very secretive, lol :D
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days