Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon R2  (Read 159080 times)

Offline sJ1N

Re: [IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #600 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 17:53:03 »
So when will this be on massdrop ? I'm definitely in for a kit :thumb:

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #601 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 19:03:28 »

read first post pls

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #602 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 23:08:47 »

No sooner than November was the last word by TOmb3ry; read post #584

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96488.550
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2018, 23:10:40 by lecorsair »

Offline Oni74

« Reply #603 on: Sun, 23 September 2018, 23:48:26 »
I've been waiting a loooooong time for this!

Offline fouras

« Reply #604 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 19:09:59 »
I will softlock all kits probably in two weeks. So if you have suggestions or you found some missing keys (like every human i have the right to forget, to miss, to be wrong and cause errors  :p ) just reply below because two weeks will be over quickly.

1u shifts in base, bone, and ivory would probably be appreciated. They're more common than stuff like 1u backspace that the kits already support.

Also, I think the assembly kit is oversized. The normal meta, ctrl, alt, etc. bottom row stuff doesn't match the rest of the kit, and the jmp, pop, xor, etc. caps already exist for those positions.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #605 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 00:09:51 »
1u shifts in base, bone, and ivory would probably be appreciated. They're more common than stuff like 1u backspace that the kits already support.

The 1u shift is indeed needed for keyboards with shifted row4 but i am actually not sure how common those boards are. So for me it looks like they are way to exotic and actually the 2u shift belongs in some kind exotic kit but not the base kit. Anyway i would love if someone can give me few references for boards with such layout. Minila and JP HHKB cant be covered properly anyway so they dont count.

Also, I think the assembly kit is oversized. The normal meta, ctrl, alt, etc. bottom row stuff doesn't match the rest of the kit, and the jmp, pop, xor, etc. caps already exist for those positions.

It was requested and I can understand and it makes sense what some people want to have bottom mods be with normal labels like arrows keys. These are 8 keys and they will stay.

Offline fouras

« Reply #606 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 03:31:23 »

The 1u shift is indeed needed for keyboards with shifted row4 but i am actually not sure how common those boards are. So for me it looks like they are way to exotic and actually the 2u shift belongs in some kind exotic kit but not the base kit. Anyway i would love if someone can give me few references for boards with such layout. Minila and JP HHKB cant be covered properly anyway so they dont count.

The GK64, DZ60, and XD60 are all pretty common.

Offline Arntor

« Reply #607 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 08:50:44 »
Will there be a complimentary Hammer carbon spacebar drop alongside this, like there was with the SA set?

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #608 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 11:56:12 »

Was an option on the Grey Cod67 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #609 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 14:05:53 »
Update

Carbon/Bone base kits and Ivory mods
 - Added 1u shift key.

Was an option on the Grey Cod67 as well.

Reasonable suggestion and thanks for the examples for such layout. Wonder how it feels to type with shifted row. I've a planck and typing on ortholinear layout is quite different experience.

« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2018, 16:24:59 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #610 on: Thu, 27 September 2018, 15:55:26 »
I’ve used both a GK64 and 2 ortho boards (ergodox and currently an Iris), imo the small offset with a 2u shift isn’t noticeable. The main problem I had with that was finding keycaps :P Ortho however is a different ballpark. You can get used to it but the keys in the corner were difficult in the beginning (z, n, -)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline avid

« Reply #611 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 04:49:26 »
Would it be possible to have a kit with the dark grey number row simular to SA version (number row kit)?

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #612 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:01:25 »
Hi,

Any chance to add a Bone Nordekit?

It would be great option for Norde uses to be able to have 2 "clean" sets in one buy. :cool:

I am personally most interested in "Bone" But the missing Norde kit is such a bummer :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:03:11 by RETURNISO »

Offline avid

« Reply #613 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:03:32 »
Hi,

It would be great option for Norde uses to be able to have 2 "clean" sets in one buy. :cool:

I am personally is most interested in "Bone" But the missing Norde kit is such a bummer :rolleyes:

This set works for both bone and regular right?

Edit: or do you mean the dark grey i guess?
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:05:29 by avid »

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #614 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:10:36 »
Hi,

I am personally is most interested in "Bone" But the missing Norde kit is such a bummer :rolleyes:

Show Image

Yes, sorry! Bone base with boneyard alphas + boneyard Norde kit, please please please  :p

Edit. There even are a bone icon extension :eek: This combo with a hint of carbon will make a killer clean minimal set!! not to mention the full Carbon Ivory goodness as a bonus minimal set :p
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:18:33 by RETURNISO »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #615 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:27:55 »
Hi,

Show Image

Yes, sorry! Bone base with boneyard alphas + boneyard Norde kit, please please please  :p

Edit. There even are a bone icon extension :eek: This combo with a hint of carbon will make a killer clean minimal set!! not to mention the full Carbon Ivory goodness as a bonus minimal set :p

That's not possible IMHO. Thing is that NORDEUK kits barely tip even from successful sets. For example SP SA Carbon R2 sold almost 20k kits which is insane but only 116 beige NORDEUK beige kits and 16 orange NORDEUK kits. And its not the issue not having enough EU buyers its just most of the EU buyers switches over to ANSI and are using specific layouts in order to write their specific language letters. So the Boneyard NORDEUK has no chance anyway. I hope the beige NORDEUK kit will hit its MOQ.

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #616 on: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:53:31 »
Hi,

Show Image

That's not possible IMHO. Thing is that NORDEUK kits barely tip even from successful sets. For example SP SA Carbon R2 sold almost 20k kits which is insane but only 116 beige NORDEUK beige kits and 16 orange NORDEUK kits. And its not the issue not having enough EU buyers its just most of the EU buyers switches over to ANSI and are using specific layouts in order to write their specific language letters. So the Boneyard NORDEUK has no chance anyway. I hope the beige NORDEUK kit will hit its MOQ.

Thanks for the fast response! Alright. I see. That is very unfortunate :(
I can understand the orange didnt hit that big of a number as it really takes its desk to wear it :)

But what i hear is actually positive and that rough 140 nordic uses "took half of a normal MOQ" with just one more small kit to offer ;) 

But i could see higher numbers hitting with a Boneyard NORDEUK as it is simple much more bearable on a lot more keyboards.

No chance of trying to run it?
if it dosnt hit MOQ it dosnt hit MOQ.. And MD seems to be OK with it especially with the BIG hype behind carbon. ( All props to the master :thumb: ) 
Alot more potential nordic buyers could help take alot more base sets with that small extra kit. Previous buyers aswell as new buyers. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 September 2018, 14:59:01 by RETURNISO »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #617 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 07:51:44 »
We are one month away from a possible drop. In this regard i am locking the kits in order to use this time to fix issues - if things get out of the expected price ranges. Or i will be fixing technical issues which might happen. For example i had to change Salt key icon because current icon has some technical issues. After confirmation from GMK i will show the modified saltkey icon in this thread.

KITS ARE LOCKED!
I am open only for changes which do fix some major issues if there are any.

I can understand the orange didnt hit that big of a number as it really takes its desk to wear it :)

But what i hear is actually positive and that rough 140 nordic uses "took half of a normal MOQ" with just one more small kit to offer ;) 

But i could see higher numbers hitting with a Boneyard NORDEUK as it is simple much more bearable on a lot more keyboards.

if it dosnt hit MOQ it dosn't hit MOQ.. And MD seems to be OK with it especially with the BIG hype behind carbon. ( All props to the master :thumb:
Alot more potential nordic buyers could help take alot more base sets with that small extra kit. Previous buyers aswell as new buyers. 

Sorry. As i said, that kit will have no chance so i did not even need to give it a chance. Keep in mind Boneyard will be extremely niche. For example Carbon outsells 3 times Bone set. Its just that the people who like the bone stuff are loudest here. But Carbon will always outsell Bone and all the Bone positive replies here don't change this fact.

« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2018, 07:54:00 by T0mb3ry »

Offline speedofsound

« Reply #618 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 08:42:54 »
Hello! Love the set and am going to get almost all the kits except NORDE and orange alphas. Made an account to ask some quick questions about a few kits. Questions/requests in order of priority

Novelties -
1. Could you add novelties in ivory text/legend with gray background to match the bone base set mods and the rolling bones kit? Would love to have the hexagon and 6 / 12.011 C in that colorway. Would be very nice to put on top row leftmost key (where people normally put novelties/artisans) and on mods in the r4/r5 rows. Right now the only novelty in that colorway is the 2.25 graphene key.
^ the most important request/question!
2. Is there a reason that the 12 / 6 C novelty is not in this round? Would love to have that in the ivory text on gray background color scheme.

Rolling bones -
1. Would it be possible to have the all suits in both colorways? (Ie: heart and diamond in ivory with gray background, spade and club in orange on gray background). This time rolling bones set has less keys because no 1.5u suits keys, so perhaps this might be possible?
2. Can the dice key be in non-stepped format for those of us with non-stepped keys? There is the option for stepped and non-stepped format in the base kit.
Rolling bones set should be very popular, because so many people are requesting it and paying multiples over initial selling price on r/mechmarket, so I think people would be willing to pay.

Homing keys
1. Would scooped homing keys be an option for this round?

Offline RETURNISO

« Reply #619 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 09:14:12 »
We are one month away from a possible drop. In this regard i am locking the kits in order to use this time to fix issues - if things get out of the expected price ranges. Or i will be fixing technical issues which might happen. For example i had to change Salt key icon because current icon has some technical issues. After confirmation from GMK i will show the modified saltkey icon in this thread.

KITS ARE LOCKED!
I am open only for changes which do fix some major issues if there are any.

if it dosnt hit MOQ it dosn't hit MOQ.. And MD seems to be OK with it especially with the BIG hype behind carbon. ( All props to the master :thumb:

Sorry. As i said, that kit will have no chance so i did not even need to give it a chance. Keep in mind Boneyard will be extremely niche. For example Carbon outsells 3 times Bone set. Its just that the people who like the bone stuff are loudest here. But Carbon will always outsell Bone and all the Bone positive replies here don't change this fact.

Cool. I understand!

Thanks for making the initial Norde kit! Looking forward to the Drop  :thumb:

Offline mimalik

« Reply #620 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 09:32:39 »
Does this mean that all the kits on page 1 will be available? Super excited for Beezarre kit and R0/5 keys. Orange alphas in GMK, woot woot.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #621 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 10:30:12 »
Hello! Love the set and am going to get almost all the kits except NORDE and orange alphas. Made an account to ask some quick questions about a few kits. Questions/requests in order of priority

Novelties -
1. Could you add novelties in ivory text/legend with gray background to match the bone base set mods and the rolling bones kit? Would love to have the hexagon and 6 / 12.011 C in that colorway. Would be very nice to put on top row leftmost key (where people normally put novelties/artisans) and on mods in the r4/r5 rows. Right now the only novelty in that colorway is the 2.25 graphene key.
2. Is there a reason that the 12 / 6 C novelty is not in this round? Would love to have that in the ivory text on gray background color scheme.

Rolling bones -
1. Would it be possible to have the all suits in both colorways? (Ie: heart and diamond in ivory with gray background, spade and club in orange on gray background). This time rolling bones set has less keys because no 1.5u suits keys, so perhaps this might be possible?
2. Can the dice key be in non-stepped format for those of us with non-stepped keys? There is the option for stepped and non-stepped format in the base kit.
Rolling bones set should be very popular, because so many people are requesting it and paying multiples over initial selling price on r/mechmarket, so I think people would be willing to pay.

Homing keys

First of all the kits are locked. So its too late for requests for adding keys or changes.

Anyway i want to answer some questions or explain the kits.

Novelties kit.
1. This kit is for Carbon but there are few keys in Bone colorway so people who bought Carbon and Bone could use some novelty keys on Bones to show off its Origin. Also putting Carbon Icons on Super keys in Bone set will give it a nice orange touch. Ivory mods is an extension kit and its there to utilize spare alphas if people buy other alphas. Also you can use Ivory mods for mixing with alphas of other sets. However i dont view Ivory as a base set which deserves some kind of novelty or support in existing novelty kits. Maybe in the next possible drop i will work it out into full base set and then i will introduce its own theme with novelties. But in the end Novelties kit is in the first place for Carbon base kit.
2. The C 6/12 key is not available (please differ the rounds in profiles: this is GMK Carbon Round 2 and GMK Carbon Round 1 did not had that novelty at all) because it does not look good on Cherry profile. The C 6/12.011 is the appropriate version of C 6/12 novelty for Cherry profile.

Rolling bones.

1. This Novelty kit is designed specifically for the Bone base set. And it will stay as such. Its there to push the bone colorway because its less popular than Carbon which is a fact.
2. For the caps lock, i think its ok that the design for the stepped and non stepped caps lock is different. Actually i wanted to use 777 for stepped caps lock but its too wide and i did not want to use the dices on the caps lock at all, because enter has it already. But i had to make compromise and that's why i am using the dices on stepped caps lock. I personally want to leave the 777 as it is.
Rolling bones is semi popular. Again you who prefer Bones are the loudest but Carbon is more popular what ever you might say. Even in the drop of Carbon themed deskmats the Carbon mats outsold Bone greatly. Also Rolling bone is sought after because its rare. It did not sold as well as Carbon Novelties. Tho i wish people would appreciate the things for that they are and not for their rarity. Once things are widely available no body cares for it. This is how things work in this hobby and probably in other hobbies too.

This IC thread is running since July 2018. There was plenty of time to make suggestion. Now there is a lot of stuff to do: like checking the pricing and making renders for the drop. I hope if i start another IC here and if i catch your interest again you will reply and make suggestions before Kit Lock :(

Does this mean that all the kits on page 1 will be available? Super excited for Beezarre kit and R0/5 keys. Orange alphas in GMK, woot woot.

Thanks for excitement and appreciation. Tho it does not mean the kits will stay as they are. I will look at pricing for each kit and decide if its worth it. If the prices for particular kits are too high then i need to chop it down. In the worst case even remove the kit completely. But i think GMK and Massdrop will work out acceptable condition and i hope i will not be forced to make any changes.

Cool. I understand!

Thanks for making the initial Norde kit! Looking forward to the Drop  :thumb:

Thanks for understanding. I appreciate this.

Honestly if there were no MOQ i would have made NORDEUK kit for every colorway and far more kits. There are many kits which i would love to make but i had to discard those because i offer already too many kits. GMK Carbon has now 18 kits. This is insane!

« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2018, 10:34:26 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #622 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 15:54:52 »
Wanted to use the Boneyard Alphas, but didn't see any other modifier kits besides the Ivory.  So I'd have to get Base / Boneyard correct ?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #623 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 17:09:06 »
Wanted to use the Boneyard Alphas, but didn't see any other modifier kits besides the Ivory.  So I'd have to get Base / Boneyard correct ?

You are correct. Keep in mind with Bone base and Boneyard alphas you can cover one TKL board and one HHKB backspace style keyboard. So basically you can cover two boards with those two kits.

Tho if you like mono color sets (i am guessing because you want the boneyard alphas), with the ivory mods plus the beige alphas from the bone set you will be able to make another mono color set. That's the reason why beige mods do exist. You can also purchase only ivory mods with Boneyard alphas in order to make an inverted Bone base set.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #624 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 17:22:47 »

You are correct. Keep in mind with Bone base and Boneyard alphas you can cover one TKL board and one HHKB backspace style keyboard. So basically you can cover two boards with those two kits.

Tho if you like mono color sets (i am guessing because you want the boneyard alphas), with the ivory mods plus the beige alphas from the bone set you will be able to make another mono color set. That's the reason why beige mods do exist. You can also purchase only ivory mods with Boneyard alphas in order to make an inverted Bone base set.

That is true.. although if the alphas we're the same base color as R1 I wouldn't be a fan of since it's more yellowish that I had  imagined.

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #625 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 18:43:10 »
The "Option" icon key is upside down. This needs to be corrected. It looks idiotic right now. Doesn't matter if a new mold needs to be made - whoever approved the upside down option icon got it wrong. Look up option key on wikipedia if you need to see what it is supposed to look like. There is even a Mac font symbol for it, so I have no idea how it got inverted.

Offline Hanks

« Reply #626 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 19:35:58 »
Ready to join GB! Hope to split the alpha from the base, kind of a waste if you want to put it on A TKL keyboard and a Planck.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 September 2018, 21:00:50 by Hanks »

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #627 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 20:22:37 »
Any chance to add keys such as R3 1.25u tab/FN and 1.75u Enter? Pretty common on 40% keyboards.

Unfortunately a few lines above he commented the kits are locked.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline Hanks

« Reply #628 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 21:14:41 »
Any chance to add keys such as R3 1.25u tab/FN and 1.75u Enter? Pretty common on 40% keyboards.

I can settle for the assembly kit. But still confused about the base.

Offline neon_tom

« Reply #629 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 21:51:09 »
The "Option" icon key is upside down. This needs to be corrected. It looks idiotic right now. Doesn't matter if a new mold needs to be made - whoever approved the upside down option icon got it wrong. Look up option key on wikipedia if you need to see what it is supposed to look like. There is even a Mac font symbol for it, so I have no idea how it got inverted.

Sigh. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_key

Offline Audiobs

« Reply #630 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 23:22:39 »

I had no idea Apple reversed the 'Alt' symbol for 'Option', thanks for the clarification!  :thumb: I can see how one can be mistaken, but talk about jumping to conclusion...  :)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #631 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 00:06:43 »

I can settle for the assembly kit. But still confused about the base.

This is an GMK keyset not Signatur Plastics.

Thanks for the reference ;)

Its an "Alt" key. Not "Option".

Offline mimalik

« Reply #632 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 06:08:13 »

Thanks for excitement and appreciation. Tho it does not mean the kits will stay as they are. I will look at pricing for each kit and decide if its worth it. If the prices for particular kits are too high then i need to chop it down. In the worst case even remove the kit completely. But i think GMK and Massdrop will work out acceptable condition and i hope i will not be forced to make any changes.

Now I am worried, KB gods....let there be orange. Sincerely hoping, GMK/MD come up with decent pricing that Beezarre kit get to live.

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #633 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 10:59:48 »

Sorry I was tired and wasn't being very nice in my post. The Alt key, which I didn't know had its own unique symbol, has an arrow head, distinguishing it from the option key. The icon as it stands right now still looks like an upside down option key to people who are used to looking at that symbol. It doesn't matter, though, it isn't changing. People who are not used to the option symbol should be fine with it. The kits look great overall and I'm sure they will do well on MD.

Offline upas

« Reply #634 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 20:29:21 »
Is the spacebar kit really going to have a 2.25U and 2.75U R4c profiled spacebar?

If so, I'm definitely in - even if just for that. That's amazing and I don't think I've seen that done before! (or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough)

If at all possible, when talking to Massdrop/GMK please try to keep those in!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #635 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 00:31:19 »
Now I am worried, KB gods....let there be orange. Sincerely hoping, GMK/MD come up with decent pricing that Beezarre kit get to live.

Pardon. I expressed myself way too dramatic. I've experienced so far only one case where designer had to take actions because of the pricing. So there is a chance i had to make changes but the probability for it is actually low.

Is the spacebar kit really going to have a 2.25U and 2.75U R4c profiled spacebar?

If so, I'm definitely in - even if just for that. That's amazing and I don't think I've seen that done before! (or maybe I just haven't looked hard enough)

If at all possible, when talking to Massdrop/GMK please try to keep those in!

Its highly unlikely that this kit will get changes.

BTW it was unfortunate from me to introduce the R4c term. Its neither row 4 nor row 5 - its a Spacebar. So yes GMK Carbon R2 will introduce 2.25U and 2.75U spacebars.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 October 2018, 00:37:56 by T0mb3ry »

Offline speedofsound

« Reply #636 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 06:49:24 »

Novelties -

Rolling bones -

Homing keys

First of all the kits are locked. So its too late for requests for adding keys or changes.

Anyway i want to answer some questions or explain the kits.

Novelties kit.
1. This kit is for Carbon but there are few keys in Bone colorway so people who bought Carbon and Bone could use some novelty keys on Bones to show off its Origin. Also putting Carbon Icons on Super keys in Bone set will give it a nice orange touch. Ivory mods is an extension kit and its there to utilize spare alphas if people buy other alphas. Also you can use Ivory mods for mixing with alphas of other sets. However i dont view Ivory as a base set which deserves some kind of novelty or support in existing novelty kits. Maybe in the next possible drop i will work it out into full base set and then i will introduce its own theme with novelties. But in the end Novelties kit is in the first place for Carbon base kit.
2. The C 6/12 key is not available (please differ the rounds in profiles: this is GMK Carbon Round 2 and GMK Carbon Round 1 did not had that novelty at all) because it does not look good on Cherry profile. The C 6/12.011 is the appropriate version of C 6/12 novelty for Cherry profile.

Rolling bones.

1. This Novelty kit is designed specifically for the Bone base set. And it will stay as such. Its there to push the bone colorway because its less popular than Carbon which is a fact.
2. For the caps lock, i think its ok that the design for the stepped and non stepped caps lock is different. Actually i wanted to use 777 for stepped caps lock but its too wide and i did not want to use the dices on the caps lock at all, because enter has it already. But i had to make compromise and that's why i am using the dices on stepped caps lock. I personally want to leave the 777 as it is.
Rolling bones is semi popular. Again you who prefer Bones are the loudest but Carbon is more popular what ever you might say. Even in the drop of Carbon themed deskmats the Carbon mats outsold Bone greatly. Also Rolling bone is sought after because its rare. It did not sold as well as Carbon Novelties. Tho i wish people would appreciate the things for that they are and not for their rarity. Once things are widely available no body cares for it. This is how things work in this hobby and probably in other hobbies too.

This IC thread is running since July 2018. There was plenty of time to make suggestion. Now there is a lot of stuff to do: like checking the pricing and making renders for the drop. I hope if i start another IC here and if i catch your interest again you will reply and make suggestions before Kit Lock :(

No worries. To clarify I was not referring to ivory mods. I was referring to bone mods. Having the gray background and white novelty symbol matches bone mods (also gray background and white symbols/text)

Was not around during the carbon drops last few years so did not know that it was rare. To me I like rolling bones because it is a unique way of expressing numbers.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #637 on: Tue, 02 October 2018, 21:06:44 »
Still in for a Boneyard set, glad to see the R5 mods have survived the IC journey  :p
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #638 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 13:03:35 »
So i got some info regarding new Salty key icon. Previous Salty key icon was not doable on cherry profile because the top surface is slightly smaller than on SA profile - thus some spots in the S letter were to small. I made two new versions, one with larger S and one just scaled up without some salt grains.
Following is the GMK Render for both new salt icons.

I am choosing the first one with the larger S, because it has better recognition for the salt shaker.

Here is the updated mockup for the Salty kit.

Regarding the GMK Trays.
The trays will have the same design like the deskmats. However it will have gray GMK and Massdrop logos in the bottom left corner.

Still in for a Boneyard set, glad to see the R5 mods have survived the IC journey  :p

Glad to see people being excited about the vintage rows  ^-^

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #639 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 01:03:02 »
Is that for Giorgio?

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #640 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 04:28:05 »
I prefer the shaker on the right.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #641 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 04:38:15 »
I've just been thinking, orange mods would look awesome with the boneyard alphas

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #642 on: Tue, 09 October 2018, 11:30:56 »
I prefer the shaker on the right.

Me too, but I'll buy either. I'll be getting the base kit, novelties and salty.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 October 2018, 11:33:57 by mrpetrov »

Offline darthzero

« Reply #643 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 01:18:54 »

Glad to see people being excited about the vintage rows  ^-^
Some of them, 131 as far as the votes go... from potentially 1000+ buyers. Could be that nobody cares like you said but I bet lots will not notice when buying (let’s be real, some ppl on gh don’t read the first post and keep asking things explained there (in general not only here in this thread)) and be some degree of unhappy when they discover it after they shipped.
And to people saying “get r1 from mm then“, sry but if that’s your line of argument we shouldn’t have secound rounds (without profound changes) of any keyset, is that what you want?
There is even a kit that makes your set into vintage rows (again, 131 ppl voted for vintage rows... enough to hit moq on the small kit^^) yet vintage rows is all there is.
//correct me if I’m wrong about the numbers, I looked it up yesterday and it was like that with 58 to 42% go vint
Just because it’s described as “vintage“ doesn’t mean it’s good and gmk not doing them on a normal basis suggests that it’s worse. Will buy the salt kit obviously ;)
My last 2 cents here.
GL WGB
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline hansichen

« Reply #644 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 03:20:29 »
Just because it’s described as “vintage“ doesn’t mean it’s good and gmk not doing them on a normal basis suggests that it’s worse. Will buy the salt kit obviously ;)
My last 2 cents here.
GL WGB

GMK doesn't have molds for 1,25 R5 bottom row. The non-existence of R5 caps is mainly due to the fact that they are unable to produce them until now. There are a few sets (Gmk wob, blue alert, beige and others) which have R5 bottom row.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #645 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 11:40:45 »
gmk not doing them on a normal basis suggests that it’s worse

If GMK is not doing them on normal basis has nothing to do with them being worse but with tooling availability. GMK can make up to 8 1u keys in one production step. That depends on the mold availability and other factors. Say if they have several key molds for a specific key size they can make several keys in one process step and thus making it more cost effective. There are other factors - its not just about molds but fact is that they cant produce row 5 as effective as row 4 keys which makes row 5 more expensive. It has absolutely nothing to do with row 5 being worse than row 4.

Nobody said and nobody can say row 5 being better than row 4 or vise versa. This is just personal preference. There was a vote and those who cared about it made their voice.

I personally have no preference for row 4 or row 5. I enjoy both because i love cherry profile. Its perfection be it with row 4 or row 5. But voting is over and everybody should deal with it. Its just the same as with EU vote about summertime (daylight saving time for US folks), remember? Most of the votes came from Germany because "we" cared about it (i personally did not voted because i had other stuff to do and think about). Now whole EU will get rid off of the summer time because we germans are evil dictators!  :))

Offline mopaska

« Reply #646 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 12:09:50 »
because we germans are evil dictators!  :))
More

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #647 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 15:34:26 »

Disney didn't allow the BB-8 novelty? Sad.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #648 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 16:43:07 »

?

Carbon is about chemical element Carbon and Bones is about Bones/Transiens/Gambling(if you consider Rolling Bones kit). None of them has something to do with StarWars. I love StarWars but I don't like to ride the hype i did not caused. The only exception i have is the HalfLife Lambda kit for which i got permission from Gabe Newell and Valve. That explains why HalfLife Lambda kit is a stand alone kit. Keep in mind the Lambda was suggested in SP SA Round 1 and Carbon on itself is not based on any game nor film or what ever. The colorway was done long before i gave it the name Carbon. In the end i am not planning and i've never planned to introduce some kind of StarWars related kit. For me Carbon has no relation to StarWars at all.

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #649 on: Wed, 10 October 2018, 20:20:13 »

?

Carbon is about chemical element Carbon and Bones is about Bones/Transiens/Gambling(if you consider Rolling Bones kit). None of them has something to do with StarWars. I love StarWars but I don't like to ride the hype i did not caused. The only exception i have is the HalfLife Lambda kit for which i got permission from Gabe Newell and Valve. That explains why HalfLife Lambda kit is a stand alone kit. Keep in mind the Lambda was suggested in SP SA Round 1 and Carbon on itself is not based on any game nor film or what ever. The colorway was done long before i gave it the name Carbon. In the end i am not planning and i've never planned to introduce some kind of StarWars related kit. For me Carbon has no relation to StarWars at all.
I know, I know, I was just kidding  ;D sorry!

BTW, I've noticed the omission of the new R3 1.75 ^ key on the bone icon mods (I believe it's being made for Modern Dolch), I don't know if it's intentional or not.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 October 2018, 20:27:46 by Endeavour1934 »