geekhack Community > Input Devices

Best webcam recommendations under $100

<< < (2/3) > >>

noisyturtle:

--- Quote from: jamster on Thu, 29 July 2021, 01:11:27 ---@noisyturtle, which Logitech did you try?

--- End quote ---

It was just a really basic $30 QuickCam but it was horrible. It felt like it was from the 2000's

Leslieann:
I tried a few older gen Logitech (720) and Microsoft (hd-something) since they worked with Pis, even the Galaxy S3 blew them both out of the water, I mean it wasn't even close. The S4, S5 and HTC 10 were even better. It's just amazing how much better cell phone cams are. You'll probably spend twice as much on a webcam as a used GoPro or cell phone just due to demand and how these companies are, it's just crazy. Why is it you can get a brand new low end GoPro for around the same price as some of these?

I know some of the higher end webcams can do well, the 920 is mentioned often but for the money I just don't see it as worth it. Remember it still needs a dedicated computer, where a GoPro or cell phone serves as it's own computer and they have wireless built in (a benefit for wildlife stuff). More importantly, you may not need this camera for anything other than a webcam but why spend that much on such a limited device, you can get a used cell phone, GoPro or even a used DSLR (check into used mirrorless Sonys) for nearly the same price and you can use those for all sorts of other things and will hold value even after the rush on webcams is over. I got my mirrorless Sony DSLR as open box for $150 (retail $550), just beware the Sony NEX-F3, it won't let you use it as a webcam over USB (ask how I know), but you can get a usb hdmi capture adapter for dirt cheap ($5) and get around that problem.

james97:
Definitely recommend Logitech C920. I have been using that for 2 months.
Good quality, affordable price and can be used for streaming and video conferencing.

yui:
if you have a digital camera already some will allow to directly stream video on USB and act as a webcam, i think that my old nikon coolpix allowed that, and i never tried with my current D3100, but if you have one it could be worth a try, or maybe you can find one that works for cheap secondhand

noisyturtle:
Wound up going temporarily with this until I can just get a nice one that can do 1080 @ 60fps.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091Y49PMS/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon can eat a **** in hell putting it on sale for $5 less 2 days after I ordered it though  >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version