Author Topic: Full size kit fill a 40?  (Read 4370 times)

Offline Straw

• NIEWB
Full size kit fill a 40?
« on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 08:40:27 »
If i dont care about the legends doing what they say or i get blanks, will a cap set for a full size keyboard fill my core?
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Full size kit fill a 40?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 09:04:13 »
Legends are one thing but profile is another - most keycaps have different heights for each row so while you will get 1.25u keys (ctrl, alt...) if you put them on the Vortex Core as shift and caps lock they won't feel right and there are quite a few like this.  If you can live with that (I couldn't) the board will be covered.

DSA and SA row 3 are uniform profile so all the caps are the same height and will feel consistent, looks like the Core uses caps like this as standard so you probably know how this feels.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Straw

• NIEWB
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 09:16:43 »
Definitely can not live with different heights next to each other like that. I LOVE the DSA profile on my board and i like that they are all row 3 as well. Guess ill save up and buy the Aspen set i want.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 09:28:19 »
Actually I'm being stupid - you need three 1.75u caps and most core sets only include a caps lock and a short right shift.  Missed the split spacebar :(
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Straw

• NIEWB
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 06:50:22 »
It would be nice if i could find a place that sold only the caps i needed. The DSA kits i found sell me 80 caps for 120 dollars, and i am only going to end up using 16 of them. They should have like a " build a set" program where you just choose the sizes you want and they send them. Im gon a have 90 dollars worth of wasted keycaps laying around and that makes me sad.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 20:35:03 »
I don't know which  "40" you're talking about  :(
if you're ok with blank and uniform profile, how about XDA Blank? 142 keys for $41, I think it will cover the layout you need.

Offline Straw

• NIEWB
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 06:53:35 »
Sorry. the 40 I am talking about is a vortex core.
that link didn't work but ill do a google search real quick. thank you for the tip.

googled the kit. priced right, right profile.....not enough color though. I am looking now to see if I can find the same kit with some FLAIR.

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:37:56 by Straw »
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:13:03 »
You can buy packs of blanks on PMK, works out as expensive as a pretty set with legends if you do a whole board with different height keys but maybe OK if you want flat.  They used to sell G20 alphas too so that could be an option if you don't want all blanks.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Straw

• NIEWB
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:38:51 »
You can buy packs of blanks on PMK, works out as expensive as a pretty set with legends if you do a whole board with different height keys but maybe OK if you want flat.  They used to sell G20 alphas too so that could be an option if you don't want all blanks.

I don't mind blanks for my modifiers, and I can use blanks for my alphas on a full-size board no problem but I am going to keep my current alphas until I get a little more mileage on the core and get used to where everything is located on it.  I have also considered buying like 4 grab bags and seeing how it works out for me LOL. I'm checking out the link you sent now.

update: that link is exactly what I needed. it allows me to replace what I want as I want and only buy the sizes I actually need.
PERFECT. thank you very much.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 07:46:06 by Straw »
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Straw

• NIEWB
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 17:09:06 »
I feel like a major fool. When i bought my core the manufacturer made a big deal out of specifying that all of the caps are " row 3" so i assumed any set i bought would specify the same thing if it was to look and feel and be compatible with my stock caps.....i finally asked the right queation and google gave me an answer, ALL dsa caps are the same standard height....dear god ive been killing myself for nothing, all that matters is that the kit has the right sizes for my board....othwr than that they can all go wherever i want and they will ve standard height....WOW.
Now i just need to do some more ABS vs PBT research and im golden. I really like the stock PBT caps on my voard they are just way to dull and boring, i need more spice in my life. A few of the sets i have been eyeing are ABS and i am bot sure i want to stray from the PBT. Ill post pics when im done.
Thank you guys for treating a niewb so well. It is heavily appreciated
-Henry David Thoreau