Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master "Norbatouch" TKL cases r2.5, SHIPPED/MANUFACTURING  (Read 103907 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
With round 2 of my Cooler Master cases arriving on people's doorsteps this week, people have very kindly been messaging me to do another round. And so here we are. :)

Order page for Norbauer Cooler Master cases, Round 2.5

The case has been verified to fit the following Cooler Master TKL models (and, as yet, no others)
  • Novatouch TKL
  • Rapid-i ("small" model)
  • MasterKeys Pro S ("small"/"80%" layout)

I've been humbled that feedback from rounds 1 and 2 has been insanely positive, and you can just Google around for images of the boards of happy participants.

I'm calling this round "2.5" (rather than 3) since I'm only offering two anodized finishes this time: aerospace aluminum (a natural aluminum color similar to Apple products) and tactical black. The reason for only two anodizing colors is that r1 and r2 experience has shown me that these are the two colors with by far the lowest defect rates, and for small-run products like this I honestly just can't really afford to over-order by a large number or to scrap a lot of cases. And I really hate having to disappoint people who ordered late in the queue telling them that they have to get a refund instead of a case because theirs showed up with a cosmetic defect. =\ This is a good reason to order early on in the GB, by the way. ;)

However, to compensate a bit for the limited anodizing colors, I've expanded the range of powder coat finishes available this time. Honestly, in round 2, I threw those options in as a sort of curiosity--a kind throwaway extravagance--thinking very few people would opt for them given the relatively high cost I had to charge for them. But they ended up proving really popular. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ The reason they're more expensive, incidentally, is that a lot more work goes into preparing them, and expense in coating them. The work is done both by me (prep and threading) and the coating by a high-end metal finishing shop here in Silicon Valley.

Here are the anodized finishes ($219)

And here are just some of the powder finishes. ($329)

This last one is a special finish designed to evoke the characteristic color and finish on housings of computer consoles in TNG. It is meant to go with the forthcoming Galaxy Class set by Roddenberry.com, set to be available on Massdrop sometime this fall.

I personally inspect and pack each case and check it thoroughly, and whenever I've found problems from the factory I've always worked with the participant to find a satisfactory resolution, as I think all previous participants would attest. Quality is always my prime concern (even when it means a slightly delay); it's very important to me as a personal point of honor not to ship products to folks that have defects. For whatever that's worth. :)

Full details are available on the Group Buy order page, but of course feel to use this thread for any questions. And I'll also post updates here every step of the way, as I've done with previous rounds and their respective GH threads. See also the Reddit thread.

Thanks everybody. <3
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 February 2018, 00:25:23 by norbauer »

Offline millifoo

Re: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master "Norbatouch" TKL cases r2.5, ORDERING
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 12:57:15 »
Moving my Enigma Gray mockup over here:

Also digging a bit more on Prismatic, shows a couple photos without flash - and they indeed look darker (and warmer):

I think this color will look great either way. I'm in for the GB.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 13:06:12 »
Thanks for sharing your excellent mock-up of the Enigma Gray!

I would be a bit skeptical of those customer photos from the Prismatic site. Phone-camera pics in random lighting situations can be very deceptive--a fact well evinced by how different those two images of the same finish look (the one on the left looks lighter than the actual finish, I think, and the one on the bottom-right looks almost black). If we are to go from the official swatch pic and that pretty good pic of the hubcaps, I think the reality is right in between.

Offline millifoo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 13:13:00 »
> I would be a bit skeptical of those customer photos from the Prismatic site

Yep, good point.  I think they're mostly good for showing metallic sheen, as well as texture (i.e. lack of high gloss).

Offline autobot

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 13:27:40 »
edit...duh
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 August 2017, 13:30:43 by autobot »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 13:42:16 »
I think they're mostly good for showing metallic sheen, as well as texture (i.e. lack of high gloss).

Oh, yes. Good point, I hadn't even thought of that. The bottom-right pic in particular shows the matte finish quite well.

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:22:52 »
Any plans on making cases for any other keyboards in the future?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:25:29 »

My RealForce 87U case project is almost ready. After that I've been thinking about maybe the FC660C. (I'm obvs a Topre fiend.)

Offline vinzlr

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:31:11 »

My RealForce 87U case project is almost ready. After that I've been thinking about maybe the FC660C. (I'm obvs a Topre fiend.)

Bless your soul, I don't like any of the switches CM keyboards offer but I'm very excited for a RF with a norb case!

Offline funkybeat7

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:42:00 »
Any chance there could be a R3 way down the road in case I find more money to spend in like 6-8 months time? haha

Offline autobot

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:46:26 »
Lol! Norbauer gets more exotic with the finishes with every round...

We'll be ordering cases finished in unobtanium and adamantium by round 3  :p :p :p :p

Offline norbauer

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:48:16 »
Any chance there could be a R3 way down the road in case I find more money to spend in like 6-8 months time? haha

Oh dear, I hope not. :rolleyes: This was just supposed to be a one-round project, and I keep promising myself that "this round will be the last." hehe.  It's not that I don't enjoy making this design, but it takes up a lot of bandwidth to run these things, and I'm really hoping to move onto a new design soon. I also don't have a lot of cash around to buy up a bunch in advance and carry inventory (these things are expensive), or I would just do that. But I know timing can sometimes be tough. For people in difficult financial spots, I've done some "layaway" type arrangements in the past. If you want to work something like that out, feel free to message me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 August 2017, 14:50:46 by norbauer »

Offline flyingalbatross1

All three photos of the Enigma Grey look wildly different! But also all great. Looking forward to seeing what will happen in real life.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Offline JDragon

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 16:44:20 »
I don't need a Monte Carlo Red... I don't need a Monte Carlo Red... gosh that color looks good.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 17:51:13 »
I don't need a Monte Carlo Red... I don't need a Monte Carlo Red... gosh that color looks good.

i'm not even a ferrari guy and i want one
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Riu

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 17:57:24 »
Venice Beach made me order a MasterKeys Pro S from Newegg.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 October 2017, 06:00:49 by Riu »

Offline clickstops

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 20:02:40 »
So glad to see you going for 2.5. Love my case, love these colors though.

Offline millifoo

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 23:54:31 »
Found a fellow selling Teridium Prismatic powder coated gear shifts... I grabbed all his various pictures and assembled next to the official Prismatic swatch -- and... I think you're right: the color is definitely darker, just like the swatch.

Offline millifoo

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 00:36:56 »
updated mockup, trying to match both the swatch from prismatic and the gear shift knob:

Offline FSund

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 00:40:58 »

This is a bit off-topic, but do you know if there is a possibility of making the FC660C case compatible with the KBD66 keyboard? I see that the KBD66 case has some standoffs on the bottom of the case that isn't in the FC660C case, but perhaps those could be replaced by screw-in standoffs.

I have a KBD66, and could take some images of the case and pcb if you're interested.
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline sneaky101

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 02:58:52 »
FYI Another sexual powder coat finish is Dulux Burnished Copper. It's in their Electro range. The online colour chip is very misleading so I tried to replicate its real colour with these images. That's my Teamwolf Zhuque that got prettied up a little.

I am actually tempted to buy the Aerospace case and have it powder coated. Decisions decisions!

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 11:09:50 »
I asked you this in the R2 thread but I think you missed my post. Will there be spare risers sold for R2.5?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 15:20:37 »
I asked you this in the R2 thread but I think you missed my post. Will there be spare risers sold for R2.5?

I haven't created a page in the store for that yet, but you need some just send me a message. :)

Offline yqliang

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 15:55:16 »
Hi norbauer,

Very interested in your design even though I do not have a TKL keyboard yet... :))

Just want to know that other than the 3 cooler master keyboards you listed, there is absolutely no other keyboards that can fit into the case? Not a fan of all the cooler master keyboard currently available. The NovaTouch looks good but it seems like I can't find one...
Nightfox Zealios 65g | Input Club K-Type Halo True | CM Masterkeys Pro S MX Brown x Norbauer Case | SA Carbon | SA Hyperfuse | XDA MiTo Godspeed | DSA K Bares Miami Dolch | ePBT WoB
Want: Satisfaction 75 | Space65 | GMK Dot

Offline madindehead

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 16:21:01 »
Hi norbauer,

Very interested in your design even though I do not have a TKL keyboard yet... :))

Just want to know that other than the 3 cooler master keyboards you listed, there is absolutely no other keyboards that can fit into the case? Not a fan of all the cooler master keyboard currently available. The NovaTouch looks good but it seems like I can't find one...

The Novatouch is no longer made, so you're only option is to go 2nd hand from somewhere like the mechmarket. What don't you like about the Cooler Master TKL keyboards? If it's the RGB, you can turn it off. And the case isn't a problem ;)

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 16:33:19 »
Hi norbauer,

The Novatouch is no longer made, so you're only option is to go 2nd hand from somewhere like the mechmarket. What don't you like about the Cooler Master TKL keyboards? If it's the RGB, you can turn it off. And the case isn't a problem ;)

I wasn't a big fan of the Masterkeys Pro S myself due to the limited amount of switch types available. Had the switches swapped out for custom ones, problem solved but was additional work and money. There are a lot of folks who provide switch swap services which could make it a lot more bearable.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 17:43:46 »
Would be nice if this were phantom or a87 compatible in the future to allow for some futureproofing/more options
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline norbauer

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 17:47:00 »
Hi norbauer,

It might also fit the MasterKeys S. I'm currently waiting for one to arrive today so I can confirm. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 22:43:52 »
I have verified that the MasterKeys S PBT does not fit inside this case, only the MasterKeys Pro S. (I know, it's confusing.) It's an almost identical plate but just different enough (by like 2mm) that it doesn't fit on the side ledges of my case. It's almost like it was designed on purpose not to fit in my case. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 August 2017, 22:45:26 by norbauer »

Offline madindehead

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 01:40:29 »
That's big disappointment. Can't help but feel that Cooler Master have shot themselves in the foot there (whilst I appreciate the amount of people buying if for a Norbauer case will be low, it's still a shame they designed it like that). I was going to buy one (had some better switch options) but now that might not happen.

Offline Cotay

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 02:07:46 »
Hi norbauer,

I wasn't a big fan of the Masterkeys Pro S myself due to the limited amount of switch types available. Had the switches swapped out for custom ones, problem solved but was additional work and money. There are a lot of folks who provide switch swap services which could make it a lot more bearable.

If only Cooler Master would offer a heavier linear switch option.  I am currently debating buying one just for this case and I can't decide if I want to bother with swapping out the switches since I have two other boards lined up for the same operation before it. I do have some MX RGB Nature Whites that are not currently allocated for anything and would go very nicely on one of these.

Offline yqliang

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 02:20:09 »
Hi norbauer,

It's because I don't like the options of the switches. I will try to see if I am lucky enough to get a 2nd hand Novatouch. Already ordered a case, it's just too gorgeous to pass on...
Nightfox Zealios 65g | Input Club K-Type Halo True | CM Masterkeys Pro S MX Brown x Norbauer Case | SA Carbon | SA Hyperfuse | XDA MiTo Godspeed | DSA K Bares Miami Dolch | ePBT WoB

Offline yqliang

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 02:35:39 »
Hi norbauer,

Yeah the switch option is pretty limited. But I kinda don't want to go through the work of swapping switches. I will see if I can get a 2nd hand Novatouch... Thanks for the advice.

Offline Calza

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 04:43:38 »
I'm in!

Offline yqliang

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 13:39:04 »
Hi Norbauer, I already ordered an Aerospace Aluminum but I am really digging the deep green from R2. Is it out of your consideration completely for this round?

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 31 August 2017, 16:49:48 »
Hi Norbauer, I already ordered an Aerospace Aluminum but I am really digging the deep green from R2. Is it out of your consideration completely for this round?

I believe green and blue were the two colors that presented the most issues thus they were taken out of this GB.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline ewwgin

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 00:57:47 »
Have been deliberating between Retro Refrigerator (for DSA HyperFuse) and Astrophysical Purple (for DSA HyperFuse and potentially, GMK Laser) over the past few days...and I still have yet to come to a decision  :'( Any opinions, anyone? And no, I cannot afford both...

Offline yqliang

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 01:03:45 »

I believe green and blue were the two colors that presented the most issues thus they were taken out of this GB.

makes sense. I think norbauer mentioned he wanted less problems and faster turnaround time for this round. I will stick with the aluminum then, really can't go wrong with it.

Offline Cotay

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 02:09:13 »
So a Masterkeys Pro S is now ordered and on its way to me for $88 after rebate (curse you Newegg and your California tax!). I will be desoldering the MX Blues and swapping them for Nature Whites.

Next step...decide whether to get an already powder-coated case or have my favorite Cerakote applicator in San Jose work his magic with an anodized silver one. Decisions, decisions.

EDIT: Anodized silver it is...now to pick a Cerakote color. I'm leaning towards Cobalt Kinetics Slate with double hardener to add a bit of shine:

https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-295Q/cobalt-kinetics-slate/

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 September 2017, 16:05:24 by Cotay »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 16:28:49 »
EDIT: Anodized silver it is...now to pick a Cerakote color. I'm leaning towards Cobalt Kinetics Slate with double hardener to add a bit of shine:

For Cerakote, I would actually recommend an unanodized case so that the finishing company doesn't have to blast away the oxide layer. I can just send you one of the cases fresh out of the mill, like what I'm using for powder coat. If you'd prefer that, just let me know and I'll hook you up. :)

Offline Cotay

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 16:38:25 »

For Cerakote, I would actually recommend an unanodized case so that the finishing company doesn't have to blast away the oxide layer. I can just send you one of the cases fresh out of the mill, like what I'm using for powder coat. If you'd prefer that, just let me know and I'll hook you up. :)

I appreciate that! I'm emailing the applicator that I used for my last several barrels to see what he is going to charge and I'll let you know ASAP.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 16:50:04 »

makes sense. I think norbauer mentioned he wanted less problems and faster turnaround time for this round. I will stick with the aluminum then, really can't go wrong with it.

I can highly recommend the "aerospace aluminum" finish (it's technically called a "clear" finishing in anodizing terminology). It's relatively inexpensive compared to the powder finishes and quite versatile—works with almost any keyset. I also don't think I've ever gotten back a clear anodized case with any significant cosmetic blemish on it. The other (non-black) anodizing dye colors are much more prone to issues, which, as TheEerieCold mentioned above, is why I'm opting not to offer those this time. And for the high-rolling keyboard dandies who want something more colorful, the exotic power options are always there. ;)

Offline millifoo

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 01 September 2017, 22:46:10 »
Request: are there any top down photos (or renders) of the "Galaxy Console" powder coat? I'd like to experiment photoshopping some different keycaps onto it to it to see how they look.   Thanks!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 19:11:01 »
Request: are there any top down photos (or renders) of the "Galaxy Console" powder coat? I'd like to experiment photoshopping some different keycaps onto it to it to see how they look.   Thanks!

Here's a quick one.

Offline millifoo

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 02 September 2017, 21:29:14 »
Perfect... thanks!

Ok, here are some mockups comparing the Enigma Gray vs Galaxy Console, using a mashup of Godspeed and Oblivion.

TBH, they all look nice to me, but I'm really liking the Galaxy Console + Godspeed Mods + Hagoromo (white) Oblivion alphas.

Offline autobot

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 07:09:04 »
Perfect... thanks!

Ok, here are some mockups comparing the Enigma Gray vs Galaxy Console, using a mashup of Godspeed and Oblivion.

TBH, they all look nice to me, but I'm really liking the Galaxy Console + Godspeed Mods + Hagoromo (white) Oblivion alphas.

Show Image

I blame you for making me want enigma gray as well now. :)

I'd use it for the Dolch Sets.

Not my cup of fine tea, but I'd imagine the Galaxy Console would look the bee's knees with the SA Commodore 64 (can't think of the name) inspired caps as well!
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 September 2017, 07:12:20 by autobot »

Offline avid

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 07:25:48 »
That's some nice mockups millifoo  :thumb:

Offline ewwgin

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 07:33:13 »
I'd love to see an Astrophysical Purple render/mockup! Could anyone do one? ;D

Offline millifoo

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 10:52:36 »
I'd love to see an Astrophysical Purple render/mockup! Could anyone do one? ;D

I can give it a shot:  what keycaps would you like?

Offline millifoo

« Reply #49 on: Sun, 03 September 2017, 10:58:55 »
I blame you for making me want enigma gray as well now. :)

LOL

Not my cup of fine tea, but I'd imagine the Galaxy Console would look the bee's knees with the SA Commodore 64

I only have my youth to blame for me love of beige... first computer was in 1978, an Apple ][. Learned 6502 assesmbly.  Dad (who worked at HP for 25 years) got me an HP 150 in 1985. Beige. Stayed with that computer until 1988 when I got a Mac Plus. More beige!   Then an Apple FX in 1989.  Beige.

Finally graduated college, started work at Sun Microsystems on... grey workstations. However these days, they too are looking pretty beige  :p