Author Topic: Cherry G80-3494 LYCUS-2  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Cherry G80-3494 LYCUS-2
« on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 03:14:03 »
Hello, just wondering if anyone uses one of these, and how do they compare to other offerings from Filco, Leopold, etc, for red switches?

I don't know if Cherry still have competitive offerings due to the sheer amount of cherry switch keyboards offered today, but I always thought it would be cool to pick up a "classic".

If you own one, how are they? Looks like they're hard to purchase/find.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline BlueBär

Re: Cherry G80-3494 LYCUS-2
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 08:18:34 »
Some people like the G80-3000s, some don't. They're PCB mounted and not as rigid as for example a Filco. On the other side you can easily swap out springs and stems on your switches.

You can get one from keyboardco: http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/cherry-gamer-keyboard-red-switch-usa-nkr.asp

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 11:08:34 »
If you want a 'classic' then you should buy an older G80 from the late 80s/90s. I haven't owned a new G80 like the LYCUS, but apparently the cases are lower quality. The keycaps found on the older ones are as good as they get, so long as the first letter after 3000 is H or S.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 22:41:02 »
Awesome, thanks for the replies!

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for with these, but I'll look around.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 16:19:17 »
Even as much of a Cherry fan as me... unless you find a good deal on used market I don't feel they are worth it. I've had this model in the past and currently have the Japanese equivalent 3600 model. It's alright, and it's better than many other Cherry models since it has NKRO/6KRO USB instead of 2KRO. I would also agree to find an older model that is also NKRO such as a 1000 series and just swap in lighter springs on the blacks. You'll end up with a nicer keyboard overall with the older ones, as more than likely you will get doubleshot keycaps with it or possibly even find one with dyesub. Also, you will probably get it for less money.