Author Topic: Silent, backlit keyboard under $100??  (Read 4894 times)

Offline DrWeed

Silent, backlit keyboard under $100??
« on: Fri, 14 July 2017, 15:38:47 »
I'm looking for a really, really silent and backlit keyboard. I've been using Lenovo Ideapad z710 for 3y now and that laptop's keyboard is sooooooo silent. Now Im switching back to PC. I've found out on the internet that K740 is very silent, but when I watched the YT videos, I was kind of disappointed because that wasnt silent for me. To me that keyboard is loud (if the video was shot correctly).

The keyboard shouldnt be expensive, $100 is max. Or something in range of k740 price tag.

I really dont understand keyboards, so thats why Im asking for an advice here.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Silent, backlit keyboard under $100??
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 05:06:37 »
MX Silent won't be quieter than the scissor switches in Logitech K740.

No keyboard with moving keys is going to be _silent_. That's basic physics. It can be only reasonably quiet.

The loudest thing about K740 is that keycaps rattle a bit—a common occurrence in rubber domes—i.e., a tighter implementation is necessary. The higher-end Logitech K800 or older (Bluetooth) diNovo fulfill that; they have much tighter tolerances. The chiclet-looking models are tighter too, but the plate amplifies bottoming out a bit.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 05:21:31 »
I'm looking for a really, really silent and backlit keyboard. I've been using Lenovo Ideapad z710 for 3y now and that laptop's keyboard is sooooooo silent. Now Im switching back to PC. I've found out on the internet that K740 is very silent, but when I watched the YT videos, I was kind of disappointed because that wasnt silent for me. To me that keyboard is loud (if the video was shot correctly).

The keyboard shouldnt be expensive, $100 is max. Or something in range of k740 price tag.

I really dont understand keyboards, so thats why Im asking for an advice here.

Get a PCB mounted keyboard, like the cherry g80-3000 or g80-1800, then buy the gmk uniqey silent clips and you'll have a keyboard more silent than the membrane ones. In September the clips will be available also for the plate monted keyboards.

Or you can search for a keyboard with cherry red silent switches, which are a little bit less silent.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 07:14:40 »
The most quiet keyboard I've ever typed on ,   was a super super cheap rubber dome keyboard from one of those Off Brand oem computers..

The dome sheeting inside was extremely thin, and the key caps were extremely light.

The entire stroke carries really the minimum amount of momentum out of any board I've ever tried,  the result is a near silent typing experience..

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 11:03:25 »
Guys! He is not looking for a mechanical keyboard. He wants a low-profile keyboard that is silent judging by scissor-switch standards.

Typing reviews on Youtube often have the microphone sensitivity set a bit higher to allow you to hear the sound better.
What sounds loud is very different from person to person. For instance, for some, a lower-pitch keyboard sound feels better even if it is measurably louder.

The higher-end Logitech K800 or older (Bluetooth) diNovo fulfill that; they have much tighter tolerances.
The old DiNovo uses a dongle and is not backlit. The DiNovo Edge does not have backlit keys either but it supports Bluetooth and there are lights in the panel around a few keys that indicate alternative function together with the Fn key.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 July 2017, 11:08:24 by Findecanor »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 11:16:17 »
The old diNovo was Bluetooth too.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 11:30:16 »
I was talking about the "DiNovo" keyboard.
If you could show me how to pair that to my tablet, that would be much appreciated. All I have been able to find about how it connects is that it uses a 2.4 GHz dongle, which the previous owner lost. I have considered putting a Teensy in it, but I have too many projects boxes littering my apartment already.

The keyboard in the "DiNovo Media Desktop" bundle and the "DiNovo Edge" keyboard supported Bluetooth however.
I know, these two are often confused with the original keyboard that was named only "DiNovo".
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 July 2017, 11:40:10 by Findecanor »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 12:13:18 »
Guys! He is not looking for a mechanical keyboard. He wants a low-profile keyboard that is silent judging by scissor-switch standards.

Typing reviews on Youtube often have the microphone sensitivity set a bit higher to allow you to hear the sound better.
What sounds loud is very different from person to person. For instance, for some, a lower-pitch keyboard sound feels better even if it is measurably louder.

The higher-end Logitech K800 or older (Bluetooth) diNovo fulfill that; they have much tighter tolerances.
The old DiNovo uses a dongle and is not backlit. The DiNovo Edge does not have backlit keys either but it supports Bluetooth and there are lights in the panel around a few keys that indicate alternative function together with the Fn key.

Uniqey clips make the keyboard as quiet as Apple a1243.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 18:48:48 »
I was talking about the "DiNovo" keyboard.
If you could show me how to pair that to my tablet, that would be much appreciated. All I have been able to find about how it connects is that it uses a 2.4 GHz dongle, which the previous owner lost. I have considered putting a Teensy in it, but I have too many projects boxes littering my apartment already.

The keyboard in the "DiNovo Media Desktop" bundle and the "DiNovo Edge" keyboard supported Bluetooth however.
I know, these two are often confused with the original keyboard that was named only "DiNovo".
AFAIK there was the old tenkeyless one (also a part of DiNovo Media Desktop, from 2002), then the tenkeyless Edge model, and finally full-size diNovo for Notebooks and for Mac respectively (from 2008, apparently).

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 04:14:15 »

WHICH isn't very Quiet.

Uniqey clips make any keyboard as silent as the most silent keyboard ever built.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 05:39:57 »
WHICH isn't very Quiet.
Uniqey clips make any keyboard as silent as the most silent keyboard ever built.
No, they don't.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 08:33:35 »
WHICH isn't very Quiet.
No, they don't.

Do you own the PCB mount uniqey clips?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 11:11:33 »

WHICH isn't very Quiet.

LIES...  It's just average quiet at best..

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 11:14:38 »

WHICH isn't very Quiet.

LIES...  It's just average quiet at best..

ARE YOU CLIPPING YOUR SWITCHES WITH THE CLIPS OR ARE YOU CRIPPLING THE TRUTH?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 July 2017, 11:16:51 by Giorgio »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 11:17:44 »
ARE YOU?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 12:51:40 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 13:50:52 »

This is not true, and yes I've owned them and they were used on a G80-3000 keyboard.  :))
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 July 2017, 14:39:20 by SpAmRaY »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 14:01:59 »
Uniqey clips make any keyboard as silent as the most silent keyboard ever built.[/size]

This is not true, and yes I've owned them.

/Confirmed..

Between Spam and Tp4 = 24,224 posts.

That's a number you can trust.. !!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 14:17:23 »
Uniqey clips can't silence your keyboards because you're monkeys typing on your keyboards doing your monkey business. G80-3000 and uniqey is super silent.

Mod edit: Removed size 99 font, please no more!
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 July 2017, 19:52:10 by byker »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 14:21:01 »
You count your posts because you know that an infinite number or monkeys typing for an infinite time will eventually retype Shakespeare, but this is 2017 and there's just two of you and you're just doing monkey business.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 15:30:15 »
I use mostly Cherry MX Clear (lubed), and I find that a lot of the sound from those switches are from the leaf-spring on the slider inside the switch and not just from bottoming out or topping up.

And yes, I own and have tried both PCB-mounted Uniqey clips and Zealencios. (Proof)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 16:50:16 »
I use mostly Cherry MX Clear (lubed), and I find that a lot of the sound from those switches are from the leaf-spring on the slider inside the switch and not just from bottoming out or topping up.

And yes, I own and have tried both PCB-mounted Uniqey clips and Zealencios. (Proof)

I use reds and there's no noise from the leaf.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 21:41:20 »

Giorgio, don't know what to say to you buddy, Either you have bad ears, or you don't know what to listen for,  or your definition of "Silent" is very noisy..

But, The majority of the seasoned users agree zealencios / uniqey clips  work to an extent, but the bulk of it is hype,  it's not the most silent solution BY FAR.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 02:32:18 »

Giorgio, don't know what to say to you buddy, Either you have bad ears, or you don't know what to listen for,  or your definition of "Silent" is very noisy..

But, The majority of the seasoned users agree zealencios / uniqey clips  work to an extent, but the bulk of it is hype,  it's not the most silent solution BY FAR.

How can one suppose that uniqey clips can silence a clear switch??
You own unsilenceable keyboards.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 22:07:55 »
The most quiet keyboard I've ever typed on ,   was a super super cheap rubber dome keyboard from one of those Off Brand oem computers..

The dome sheeting inside was extremely thin, and the key caps were extremely light.

The entire stroke carries really the minimum amount of momentum out of any board I've ever tried,  the result is a near silent typing experience..

I can comment on this.  The quietest board I've used is also an OEM board that sat in a closet and was never used for 10 years.  It was the most silent thing I have ever used.  It was a pleasurable typing experience too, although a little mushy.

Most backlit keyboards are going to be ABS plastic which is going to sound a little clicky if mechanical.  One of my favorite keyboards ever is the Logitech LX 710.  It's a rubber dome, but it's wireless which I no longer like after switching to wired, and not back lit.  However this was damn near silent.  I don't know of any silent back lit keyboards, but the Logitech board you cited is relatively quiet compared to most of the boards I own.  It also has a super short keystroke so I can type super fast.  Also, I get a clean keystroke if I hit the keycap off-center, which I like.  Just be warned, one drop of moisture and this board is ruined.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.