Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4193585 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #28250 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 17:56:14 »
Almost every single freaking Youtube video's thumbnail shows a person making a dumbass facial expression. Seeing your stupid, hammed-up shocked face doesn't make me want to click on your video.

It's for kids,  you're no longer the target.  If you feel bad, it's cuz we've [Aged out].

100% correct. The majority, and I would reckon it's like 70-80%, of the audience that pumps these channel views up my the hundred millions are little kids sitting at home unsupervised who's parents just plopped an iPad on autoplay in front of them. These drooling malformed brown-brained infants are the ones driving the entire algorithm. That's why channels with actual content and work put in get a fraction of the views that toy unboxing and some retard in a pink wig saying "tHIs TRucK Is BluE, cAN YoU say BLuE?" get.

Offline yui

« Reply #28251 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 02:22:08 »
funny, kinda reminds me of Asimov's interpretation of the future of humanity, although he got the order wrong, he thought we would have had space faring technology before abandoning our kids education to robots :) (cf Foundation series, i think it is in the 4th book)
and anyone else sometimes has that problem with one eye become way more sensitive to light than the other, makes reading much harder, especially reading TP teal font... (low contrast)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28252 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 03:30:00 »
I'm back on shifts and am no longer a useless newbie which means significantly more money for less work, plus not working 9-5 means I can go to shops, the dentist, opticians or whatever, or for now just seeing the sun and getting some vitamin D will be nice.  Also being home in the morning means no more problems buying stuff online.

After the initial ecstasy wore off I'm back where I started except it's worse because I now know what an emotional high feels like having forgotten long ago.  This experience of a second emotional state very different from normal suggests my 'depression' is actually primarily depressed bipolar.  Not that assigning a label will help in any way but it could be a start.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28253 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 07:34:39 »
funny, kinda reminds me of Asimov's interpretation of the future of humanity, although he got the order wrong, he thought we would have had space faring technology before abandoning our kids education to robots :) (cf Foundation series, i think it is in the 4th book)
and anyone else sometimes has that problem with one eye become way more sensitive to light than the other, makes reading much harder, especially reading TP teal font... (low contrast)

LIESSSS,   LIES AND SLANDER.

Tp4's font is @ the perfect lvl of contrast.  Yui's monitor is off and requires Calibration...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28254 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 07:38:27 »
I'm back on shifts and am no longer a useless newbie which means significantly more money for less work, plus not working 9-5 means I can go to shops, the dentist, opticians or whatever, or for now just seeing the sun and getting some vitamin D will be nice.  Also being home in the morning means no more problems buying stuff online.

After the initial ecstasy wore off I'm back where I started except it's worse because I now know what an emotional high feels like having forgotten long ago.  This experience of a second emotional state very different from normal suggests my 'depression' is actually primarily depressed bipolar.  Not that assigning a label will help in any way but it could be a start.

Gotta take Vit D and B12, w/ lack of solar.  Facial xposure is not enough. surface area is too small.

Offline yui

« Reply #28255 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 08:40:29 »

LIESSSS,   LIES AND SLANDER.

Tp4's font is @ the perfect lvl of contrast.  Yui's monitor is off and requires Calibration...

nah my eyes needed calibration :) when one eye sees brighter than the other everything less than black on white/white on black becomes quite hard to read.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28256 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 13:15:17 »
Ponytail or man bun?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28259 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 19:20:16 »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling

Offline yui

« Reply #28262 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 01:49:43 »
still rocking the "Stallman" hairstyle :)

the thing bothering me today is how unable i am to deal with "losing" someone dear to me, losing not that they are dead, that they went dark and no one knows if they even are still alive, been 3 months and it still affects my relations with others in a bad way, and my health via really high stress levels and very low sleep levels. how does one deal with that? it feels much worse than dealing with deaths, at least to me...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28263 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 07:14:53 »

the thing bothering me today is how unable i am to deal with "losing" someone dear to me, losing not that they are dead, that they went dark and no one knows if they even are still alive, been 3 months and it still affects my relations with others in a bad way, and my health via really high stress levels and very low sleep levels. how does one deal with that? it feels much worse than dealing with deaths, at least to me...

Veggies + Xercise, 

If you're 2 lazy like Tp4,  At least do the Veggies.

Also Vit-D and B12

Offline yui

« Reply #28264 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 07:31:24 »

Veggies + Xercise, 

Also Vit-D and B12

i already do both :) although far less exercise since, because it is rather hard to exercise and think about myself while stressed out for someone else i found... and i never had to take any supplements, well if you do not count sugar as a supplement :) (yes i was one of the strange kids not liking sugar and actually going into hypoglycemia from not eating anything sugary, at all)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28265 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 07:46:41 »

i already do both :) although far less exercise since, because it is rather hard to exercise and think about myself while stressed out for someone else i found... and i never had to take any supplements, well if you do not count sugar as a supplement :) (yes i was one of the strange kids not liking sugar and actually going into hypoglycemia from not eating anything sugary, at all)

If u is get dat solar, don'ee ne Vit D.

But you probably need B12 unless you work with soil for a living, / farming

Offline yui

« Reply #28266 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 08:19:12 »

i am still having trouble seeing how eating more veggies (that i do not given that it is my main source of food) and taking B12 would help with forgetting someone though... or even vitamin D for that matter. my sister takes tons of complements and is even more ****ed up in the head than me, so i do not think it is the solution :) thanks for trying though.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28267 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 16:00:14 »

i am still having trouble seeing how eating more veggies (that i do not given that it is my main source of food) and taking B12 would help with forgetting someone though... or even vitamin D for that matter. my sister takes tons of complements and is even more ****ed up in the head than me, so i do not think it is the solution :) thanks for trying though.

Tp4 has a hammer, so everything looks like a nail.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28268 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 16:24:30 »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28269 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 17:06:36 »

Veggies + Xercise, 

Also Vit-D and B12

Show Image

Be vary careful w/ vitamin D it can cause buildup really quickly in your system if you are regularly taking high doses. I knew someone who got  sick from taking it every day, had to go to ER and get on a drip to flush their system because it was giving them irregular heartbeat building up in their body (from calcium overdose?)

Offline yui

« Reply #28270 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 02:18:19 »
the problem is that when the hammer is a stale carrot even a simple nail in butter will not go in, and that carrot is really getting stale, you need a new carrot TP, or hammer?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28271 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 02:23:22 »
the problem is that when the hammer is a stale carrot even a simple nail in butter will not go in, and that carrot is really getting stale, you need a new carrot TP, or hammer?

NOpe, Tp4 haz Infinity carrot.

Offline yui

« Reply #28272 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 02:28:52 »

NOpe, Tp4 haz Infinity carrot.

yes but if they are all stale, you need new ones if you want to nail stuff with them :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28273 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 08:32:48 »

you need a new carrot TP

TP4 only dreams of nailing something with his carrot.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #28274 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 09:37:15 »
Home schooling is taking it out of me. My son crawls through it unless yelled at frequently, and when yelled at it only works marginally faster.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28275 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 09:54:16 »
Home schooling is taking it out of me. My son crawls through it unless yelled at frequently, and when yelled at it only works marginally faster.

Txt based RPG. learn 2 Read, learn mat w/ DPS calculations, learn life skills, such as how to be alone and not have friends, before the pandemic people thought Tp4 were crazy for going lvl 99 on this skill tree, oh how the turned tables.

If society at large continues to eat CAFO animals, there are MANY new pandemics to come. The rate of which will accelerate as we increase the number of CAFO farms.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28276 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 17:36:13 »

I don't even have kids and I worry a lot about quarantine creating a generation of dumbasses. No offense.
All the parents I know say their kid just watches YT while remote classes are happening and aren't paying attention

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #28277 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 18:02:31 »
As expected based on the timeline of DDR5 being available next year my computer is crashing increasingly frequently.  Thought about watching a boring blue screen (memtest) for a couple of hours but either it will pass and say it's good in which case I need to swap out the mobo as the problem is definitely elsewhere, or it will fail and I'll still have to swap out the mobo as the problem could still be elsewhere.

I'm also bothered that I used to enjoy building computers but now the idea of a rebuild is just annoying.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28278 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 18:12:00 »

I don't even have kids and I worry a lot about quarantine creating a generation of dumbasses. No offense.
All the parents I know say their kid just watches YT while remote classes are happening and aren't paying attention

Hey, that's what I do at work.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28279 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 19:25:35 »

Hey, that's what I do at work.

It's possible they come out -Smarter-.

K-12 was mostly a time waster. 

At least on Youtube, you can refine the information you receive,  in School, it's just all garbage all the time.

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #28280 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 06:01:24 »
My six year old watches a certain amount of trash YouTube but and plays videogames but he binges something like Horrible Histories or Operation Ouch! as well. I just try load up Plex with the biggest variety of stuff I can find. Any time we're in the car it's audiobooks. Tryna train the attention span offset internet algo I suppose.

Most primary school seems to be handwriting cos kids don't really have much motivation to do colouring or anything on paper in the modern era and their pencil control is trash.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2021, 07:56:37 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28281 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 08:40:11 »

K-12 was mostly a time waster. 

Training the mind in the techniques it needs to navigate life starts well before K, and if they are not installed early it is all but impossible to re-program a brain later.

If parents fail in their initial duty, it is very hard for a stranger to instill critical thinking in a personality that has settled into id-controlled behavior.

Before readers pounce on my "re-program a brain" statement in relation to the current social/political situation, I will say unequivically that rampant falsehoods and conspiracy theories are successful because they fill a void that has existed all along. I would suggest that these voids tend to manifest emotionally rather than intellectually, and leave people feeling vulnerable and helpless - ripe for harvest.

On the other side, people with critical thinking skills do not need absurd bunk, and recognize it instantly for what it is.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28282 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 08:49:18 »
My six year old watches a certain amount of trash YouTube but and plays videogames but he binges something like Horrible Histories or Operation Ouch! as well. I just try load up Plex with the biggest variety of stuff I can find. Any time we're in the car it's audiobooks. Tryna train the attention span offset internet algo I suppose.

Most primary school seems to be handwriting cos kids don't really have much motivation to do colouring or anything on paper in the modern era and their pencil control is trash.

Also, Shapey,  Frame of reference is important,  it's not HOME school that's taking it out of you,  it's that you're being overworked and taken advantage of by your Employer.   He nets most of the harvest from your labor,   leaving you pressed for time to teach/educate your own child.

As for handwriting, I'm not sure how critical that is in the future.  Keeb skillz is far m0ar relevant, as it has a direct time cost impact to computer use.

People who keeps open 10000x tabs, the majority are bad typers, so to them it's more efficient to keep tabs open rather than type out addresses.

Imagine having a question to ask,  every question has a time cost for entry.  It takes Tp4 <1 second per question,  Hunt and peckers could take 30 seconds +,   The hunt and pecker will be psychologically less inclined to ASK and research, because to HIM,  questions are EXPENSIVE.   This is how the brain subconsciously evaluate investment/return

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #28283 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 10:06:49 »
People who keeps open 10000x tabs, the majority are bad typers, so to them it's more efficient to keep tabs open rather than type out addresses.
Type addresses? Ever heard of "bookmarks"?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28284 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 10:17:20 »

it's slower to click through book mark, vs just using the address bar,  it auto finds the book mark much quicker than clicking menus.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #28285 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 18:20:21 »

I knew tp was an AI

You see, this is what humans do when they are looking at porn.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28286 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 19:05:30 »

I knew tp was an AI

You see, this is what humans do when they are looking at porn.

the neuro-net suggests that pr0no it's bad for one's health, and mental health 

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #28287 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 18:57:53 »
I'm definitely pressed for time. But I'm self employed so that's probably my own doing. Definitely going to teach the kid to type it's essential. I used have a million tabs open but I've tried to pare things back to as few as possible so I don't stay on the computer too long. I say this at 1AM but I at least had to open the tab come here.

I suspect there are a few things that modern parents are doing that can explain a lack of critical thinking. Although it's not exactly a new phenomenon people have been reading tabloids and false information as fact for a lot longer than the internet has existed.

1. People don't lie to their children. Truth absolutism has become fashionable to the extent some people think you should tell a 4 year old that santa claus doesn't exist. I'm not precious about christmas but I think you should pepper a bit of fiction and nonsense in there as well keep the child on their toes. If I tell my kid something wild but true he asks me am I pulling my leg and I tell him go check with someone else. Now he's able to spin very fluid lies that I often don't catch till much later.

2. Presenting a unified front. One parent thinks this so the other one does too. There's three adults in my house, and they often contradict each other so he's getting a variety of opinions. It's multigenerational so he's learning to see things from old people as well as contemporaries. This stuff filters up as well stops the old people getting dogmatic.

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 February 2021, 19:03:46 by Shapey Fiend »

Offline yui

« Reply #28288 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 01:33:40 »

it's slower to click through book mark, vs just using the address bar,  it auto finds the book mark much quicker than clicking menus.

even though i am a slow typist (170cpm) i do agree with TP4 on bookmark being slower than typing especially on modern browsers were bookmarks got buried 3 menus deep. although i do not keep tabs open because it is faster than typing the address but because it is faster than trying to remember it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28289 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 07:20:17 »
even though i am a slow typist (170cpm) i do agree with TP4 on bookmark being slower than typing especially on modern browsers were bookmarks got buried 3 menus deep. although i do not keep tabs open because it is faster than typing the address but because it is faster than trying to remember it.

Full Gekha membership requires 600cpm proficiency,  Yui on probation.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #28290 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 07:28:40 »

even though i am a slow typist (170cpm) i do agree with TP4 on bookmark being slower than typing especially on modern browsers were bookmarks got buried 3 menus deep
What kind of browser do you consider "modern" then that does not allow you to organise bookmarks yourself, and which does not allow them to be readily available in a bookmarks bar or side-bar?
With a proper browser, you'd organise the bookmarks properly in the first place, thus having the mental burden once: when you add the bookmark.
How can you think that remembering an URL is easier and less error-prone than remembering where you put something?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28291 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 07:44:05 »

What kind of browser do you consider "modern" then that does not allow you to organise bookmarks yourself, and which does not allow them to be readily available in a bookmarks bar or side-bar?
With a proper browser, you'd organise the bookmarks properly in the first place, thus having the mental burden once: when you add the bookmark.
How can you think that remembering an URL is easier and less error-prone than remembering where you put something?

It's a waste of time to organize bookmarks,   for example,  if Tp goin' geekhack,  just type g,  and that comes up.

And the browser uses frequency to associate the search, so the ones you use most comes up first.

if want amazon,  just type A, and that's the first one that comes up.

if bestbuy, just type bes

Offline yui

« Reply #28292 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 08:42:00 »
on Firefox 3 or 4 your bookmarks were one click away in a list in a bookmark menu, that i find ergonomic, it meant that accessing a bookmark was 2 clicks and without needing an extraneous bar, now you need to click on the menu icon then library then bookmark then all bookmark then in the new windows double click on your bookmark, 6 clicks to do the same thing as 2 clicks in old versions, i do not find that more ergonomic, looks better but far worse ergonomics (and i am speak in Firefox because it is the one i use, but that trend was started by chrome)

Offline iri

« Reply #28293 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 08:43:36 »
on Firefox 3 or 4 your bookmarks were one click away in a list in a bookmark menu, that i find ergonomic, it meant that accessing a bookmark was 2 clicks and without needing an extraneous bar, now you need to click on the menu icon then library then bookmark then all bookmark then in the new windows double click on your bookmark, 6 clicks to do the same thing as 2 clicks in old versions, i do not find that more ergonomic, looks better but far worse ergonomics (and i am speak in Firefox because it is the one i use, but that trend was started by chrome)
1) Press Ctrl-B
Bookmark bar opens
2) Click on your bookmark
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yui

« Reply #28294 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 09:39:26 »
1) press ctrl+B
2) click on one of the 3 menus
3) click on your bookmark
4) click in the corner that is not on an edge of the screen to close that eye sore

still twice as many actions with the closing click being rather bad given its position, the removal of menus was design over usefulness from both Google and Microsoft, and it worked because peoples like things that are prettier. ergonomics has gone backwards, plain and simple.
bookmarks have become a waste of time, they never needed to be that complicated to deal with.

Offline iri

« Reply #28295 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 10:10:14 »
1) press ctrl+B
4) click in the corner that is not on an edge of the screen to close that eye sore
In Firefox 78 on Linux, the 'other bookmarks' menu (the only one that I use) is expanded by default for me. And instead of clicking in the corner, can't you Ctrl-B again to close the 'eye sore'?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28296 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 10:17:12 »
1) press ctrl+B

still twice as many actions with the closing click being rather bad given its position, the removal of menus was design over usefulness from both Google and Microsoft, and it worked because peoples like things that are prettier. ergonomics has gone backwards, plain and simple.
bookmarks have become a waste of time, they never needed to be that complicated to deal with.

Not to mention Ctrl-B  is not a comfortable hand position.

Offline yui

« Reply #28297 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 10:20:45 »
1) press ctrl+B
In Firefox 78 on Linux, the 'other bookmarks' menu (the only one that I use) is expanded by default for me. And instead of clicking in the corner, can't you Ctrl-B again to close the 'eye sore'?
still 3 instead of 2 at best, this is kludge and the option did not need to disappear, especially because the menus still exists, just press alt and they appear, but why did they need to be hidden, and don't tell me you like to have that bookmark menu open at all time, at that point it just become a 2nd tab list, just a slower one.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #28298 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 12:37:24 »
One would think more than five years of unemployment without benefits would be enough motivation.  Four months on the job and sometimes (like today) I have trouble focusing or getting started.  I wish I could point my finger to video games or some other addictive habit--these days I can't seem to play more than an hour at a time.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #28299 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 13:12:28 »

This has nothing to do with it for me. I have tabs open because I'm afraid of forgetting things. I want to read a story but I don't have time to read it, I look up a term but I don't have time to fully investigate it, I look up a word but I'm too lazy to add it to my vocab list, I type the lyrics to a song I heard on a TV show that I want to find later, etc. The problem is that I almost never get back to the tabs, and, when I do, I usually don't care anymore. I've tried the method of adding things to bookmarks, but then I truly never look at them again. This is probably some form of OCD or something similar. A year or so ago, I had to delete all my "Watch Later" videos on Youtube because the list was 5,000+. Now I try to keep it under 300, but, even then, I watch only about 10% of them.