Author Topic: [IC] GMK Port | PROJECT ON HOLD  (Read 23654 times)

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
[IC] GMK Port | PROJECT ON HOLD
« on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 11:28:13 »
G’day and Welcome to GMK Port!

Almost any person who’s grown up in Australia over the last 90 years has probably seen an advert or heard the notorious jingle of Aeroplane jelly. A true Australian brand, Aeroplane was started in 1927 by Bert Appleroth, turning what was then a backyard business into one of Australia’s largest family-operated food manufacturers. Inspiration for this set was taken from one flavour in particular: port wine. The trifecta of colours corresponds directly with jelly slice, a common dessert to serve in Australia’s hot summer heat, with a combination of jelly topping, sweetened condensed milk, and crushed Arnott’s Biscuits (another Australian brand).

You may notice this bears a striking resemblance to Rama’s PORT U80-A; the colours have the same origin! *DISCLAIMER* GMK Port as a set is not affiliated with RAMA WORKS.

This will be the first set I have both created and vendored, and has been a new challenge to get everything compiled on top of a full-time job as well as Ashkeebs starting up in the last few months. Thank you to everyone who has been patient who knew this project was being worked on, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support!

All colours chosen for the set are RAL Classic, and thus should be easier for GMK to replicate. I will be ensuring that the colours are as close to the renders as possible, and am hoping to order samples once the ball starts rolling.

Kits

Base

NumISO

Spacebars

Extras

The decision to move the numpad to a separate kit was, primarily, to keep the costs of the base kit down to as low as reasonably possible, while also promoting the sales of ISO enter keys for our European friends.

Thanks to inspiration from Dixie, I have decided to also use centered legends for the kit, as I personally prefer the aesthetic, and believe it may be a growing trend that he has started. I will still be going with the scooped/barred homing keys, though, as that is also personal preference.

Renders

PORT U80-A by RAMA

PORT U80-A by RAMA

PORT U80-A by RAMA

White Chimera65 by Cannon Keys

White Chimera65 by Cannon Keys

Plum Iron165 by Smith + Rune

Plum Iron165 by Smith + Rune

Vendors
NA: Ashkeebs
EU: MyKeyboard
Oceania: Switchkeys
Asia: Pending

Plans/Updates
-  Forum IC/GB Banner
-  Box Art
-  Deskmat Art

Credits

-  First of all, a big thank you to RAMA for the inspiration for the set and allowing me to use the initial theme that was supplied on his PORT U80-A renders during sale of the keyboard
-  Thanks to Abec13 for being a legend and assisting with kit creation and renders
-  Thanks to HazzyHuncho for initial kit and novelty design, the latter of which unfortunately did not work out
-  My web designer Jackie, who is currently working hard on getting a nicely-designed IC page for my website

Interest Check Form: https://forms.gle/ENbAMrpXEnbnSUPv6

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 January 2020, 23:18:30 by Ashardalon »

Offline .

Re: [IC] GMK Port
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 11:30:40 »
Please put ISO and numpad back where they belong.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 11:32:24 »
The Vendor for NA is Ashkeebs? Is that a new vendor, I've never heard of them? Did you open your own store? lol

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 11:36:28 »
The Vendor for NA is Ashkeebs? Is that a new vendor, I've never heard of them? Did you open your own store? lol

That would be me! I've been providing lubing services to a number of customers for the last few months, as well as selling lube and switch openers. I have the shipping discounts, storage space, and logistics/manpower to make sorting and shipping easier. I also work in administration and logistics, so this is not unfamiliar to me.

Offline Jetstream

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 11:38:40 »

So... outside of the base kit??

Offline Abec13

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 11:48:14 »

So... outside of the base kit??
:Point up:
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline nyry43

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 12:11:49 »
Neat! Reminds me of PB&J.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 12:24:33 »
Commenting that having the vendor for all of NA based in Canada seems an unwise decision. A significant portion of sales for most GBs comes from the US and selling to US from Canada means increased shipping costs and conversion fees dependent on your payment processor. Doesn't make much sense to me if one of the larger chunks of buyers for a GB is going to have increased costs just because of vendor choice.

Edit: Also will agree numpad belongs in base. Besides the argument of how many people are saving how much from it being in a separate kit, layouts with numpads and separate numpads are still significantly popular.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2019, 12:27:41 by donutcat »

Offline Willhurt2008

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 13:34:36 »
I love it. Would go really nicely with dark red CA66. Please, make it happen :)

Offline Hazzy

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 13:46:41 »
Looking good ;) wish you all the best!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 13:55:59 »
Love the color, would buy.

Numpad and iso come out of base kit, the base kit should be 99-109$. Run it without numpad and say you're saving people money and then having the kit be more than voyage, sandstorm, or literally anything from novelkeys in the last few months (all with numpad) is preposterous. Wanna put novelties in the base and take out numpad and go to 125 like Cafe or phosphorus...that's fine too.

As always with these sets, anyone who wants iso and not numpad should make a friend who does the opposite. Happy to ship my ISO keys overseas.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 14:10:02 »
Couple quick comments:

1) The base kit is small (that's not bad in itself), but I think it really needs the R4 End key to be added back (otherwise the HUDE column in 75% and some 65% layouts will be incomplete).

2a) The base kit has regular and homing F and J keys, but the "NumIso" kit only has one 5 key.

2b) Atlantis ISO support in the NumISO kit. Physical ("baseline") support is okay (short left shift, vertical Enter, one R3 alpha, one R4 alpha), but this can be improved upon — in the next level up, national layout, this kits offers "Atlantis ISO" support instead of either UK English or US English (or both), which is actually the worst of both worlds.

I get the impression you're trying to keep the total amount of keys down, so I'll focus on the options that provide for that: the R3 #~ key should be \| instead; the R4 \| may remain as-is OR may be replaced by an R4 <> key. This will provide for correct support of US English over ANSISO, ISO (PC style) and ISO (terminal style), and will keep the same total number of keys (adding UK English support or full UK+US English support will require several extra alphas plus the AltGr keys that aren't yet in any kit).

3) Extras kit: not my place to emit an opinion, but I DO wonder if 40s user would prefer a kit with two unaccented Esc keys in R2 and R3 instead of both Esc keys in R2 (one unaccented, the other one accented). 40s users, please enlighten us.

Offline Abec13

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 14:38:38 »
3) Extras kit: not my place to emit an opinion, but I DO wonder if 40s user would prefer a kit with two unaccented Esc keys in R2 and R3 instead of both Esc keys in R2 (one unaccented, the other one accented). 40s users, please enlighten us.

Heyo, thanks for the feedback on ISO. These kits were largely mocking minimal for the 40s kit with the addition of stagger support.

Adding the R3 escape would also call for adding a R2 Tab. While the ortho useres *might* use it, both Ortho and stagger can use the R2 escape. Just more value. If anything removing the mod or accent might be the move. Just my opinion, I'm a staggered 40s user.

Also I see what you mean about the end key. Good to know. I figured people would put Fn there. I've never owned a 75.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2019, 14:42:22 by Abec13 »
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline YackamoJack

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 15:06:15 »
Looking good! Cant wait for this to go on my plum. Any chance at a dark alphas kit?

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 15:30:45 »
Love the color, would buy.

Numpad and iso come out of base kit, the base kit should be 99-109$. Run it without numpad and say you're saving people money and then having the kit be more than voyage, sandstorm, or literally anything from novelkeys in the last few months (all with numpad) is preposterous. Wanna put novelties in the base and take out numpad and go to 125 like Cafe or phosphorus...that's fine too.

As always with these sets, anyone who wants iso and not numpad should make a friend who does the opposite. Happy to ship my ISO keys overseas.

I am still needing to send everything to GMK and get their estimates, but I intend for the base kit to cost $99. If there is an overwhelming desire to have the numpad included in the base kit, then I will do that. With your last point, that is what I am hoping folks will do if they are looking for one, the other, or both. Once the kits are finalized to what the majority of folks here enjoy, then I'll send it to GMK for a quote.

Thanks for your feedback.

Offline bball2

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 16:34:19 »
Having ordered a U80 Port I'm definitely in!

Offline elli

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 16:37:53 »
this is a super cute set owo

Offline juliandoucette

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 16:53:51 »
Yes please.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 17:07:33 »
The ISO kit looks like it’s missing a few caps. Typically that kit would provide all 6 1u keycaps that would support a UK setup. You seem to only have two of them.

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 17:28:23 »
seeing how I have a port u80 otw, this is a no brainier for me

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 18:35:30 »
ortho user here:

pure preference is r3 accent escape, r4 accent enter, r2 tab. this is god's preferred ortho. lol

Offline fleeceman

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 19:53:00 »
Yeah would be interested in this if the extra iso kit had UK keys. Hard no right now

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 20:00:08 »
Commenting that having the vendor for all of NA based in Canada seems an unwise decision. A significant portion of sales for most GBs comes from the US and selling to US from Canada means increased shipping costs and conversion fees dependent on your payment processor. Doesn't make much sense to me if one of the larger chunks of buyers for a GB is going to have increased costs just because of vendor choice.

Edit: Also will agree numpad belongs in base. Besides the argument of how many people are saving how much from it being in a separate kit, layouts with numpads and separate numpads are still significantly popular.

I have thought about choosing a vendor from the States, but decided that I wanted to run this one myself entirely. Americans, unlike Canadians, have a much higher ceiling for duties and taxes (a comparative $20 CAD to $800 USD), lowering costs for Canadian buyers and attempting to keep a low cost of shipping for Americans. I will negotiate with my carriers I'm planning to use and see if I can't get a higher discount, but with 1-3 business days shipping, insurance, and tracking, I'm going to make sure it's the best bang-for-your-buck. I appreciate your concern, and will do my best to see there's barely a noticeable difference.

I love it. Would go really nicely with dark red CA66. Please, make it happen :)

I hadn't even thought of the Burgundy CA66, that would look awesome!

Yeah would be interested in this if the extra iso kit had UK keys. Hard no right now

I'll take a better look into it for you and see if I can't get them in there!
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2019, 20:04:31 by Ashardalon »

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 20:34:03 »

I have thought about choosing a vendor from the States, but decided that I wanted to run this one myself entirely. Americans, unlike Canadians, have a much higher ceiling for duties and taxes (a comparative $20 CAD to $800 USD), lowering costs for Canadian buyers and attempting to keep a low cost of shipping for Americans. I will negotiate with my carriers I'm planning to use and see if I can't get a higher discount, but with 1-3 business days shipping, insurance, and tracking, I'm going to make sure it's the best bang-for-your-buck. I appreciate your concern, and will do my best to see there's barely a noticeable difference.

Doesn't have to be an either/or thing, can have a vendor for both areas. I guess someone will see if everything ends up comparable, personally not my cup of tea though that mod color is quite nice.

Offline xchangmanx

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 21:14:20 »
Lovin the colors!  :thumb: :thumb: I will def invest in these!

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 22:06:52 »
Lovin the colors!  :thumb: :thumb: I will def invest in these!

Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy the updates as they come  :)

Looking good! Cant wait for this to go on my plum. Any chance at a dark alphas kit?

I hadn't considered it but that would look real nice. Definitely on the list of possibilities now!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 22:13:13 »
I’d buy port alphas. I bet 98 others would too.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 22:51:22 »
God this takes me back.

Ok, I am willing to ship 1 x Aeroplane Port Jelly for every base kit we get over the line if the interest is there. Let me know  :p

Edit:
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2019, 23:17:18 by SwitchKeys »

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 04 October 2019, 23:13:47 »
Just wanted to give my +1 on keeping numpad and ISO out of base.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 01:38:48 »
Is it just me or does this look like a color tweaked GMK Sparta? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101678.0

Offline Hackerpilot

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 01:58:09 »
Is it just me or does this look like a color tweaked GMK Sparta? https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101678.0

I thought it was just an Olivia recolor.

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 05:42:10 »
Lovely set, It's gonna be killer on silver boards

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline tronix_41

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 06:01:22 »
any novelties planned for this nice set? also +1 iso and numpad in base set.

Offline chakkii

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 07:37:27 »
Im cool with splitting up, but any chance to get a Norde kit or international kit? :) love this set but Im an ISO DE user, so if no such kit is provided I cant join :(

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 11:06:55 »
You're mixing centered icon mods and top-aligned arrows. Is this intentional?

Also, please put baseline ISO support into the base kit. It's really much more important than alternative 1.5u Super keys and a second 1u Alt. Another important thing imo are R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn and R4 End.

the R3 #~ key should be \| instead; the R4 \| may remain as-is OR may be replaced by an R4 <> key.
Also this.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 October 2019, 11:13:27 by constexpr »

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 17:27:48 »
You're mixing centered icon mods and top-aligned arrows. Is this intentional?

Also, please put baseline ISO support into the base kit. It's really much more important than alternative 1.5u Super keys and a second 1u Alt. Another important thing imo are R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn and R4 End.

the R3 #~ key should be \| instead; the R4 \| may remain as-is OR may be replaced by an R4 <> key.
Also this.

This is not, I had forgot to specify when requesting centered icons to center the arrows; this will be changed for the final product and any further renders that are purchased.

Thanks for the feedback on the ISO support and other keys requested :)

Offline PeanutDamage

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 11:15:09 »
Hella down to buy this, such a pretty set  :) :) :thumb:

Offline lys.nordique

• Formerly 'scatology'
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 07:30:19 »
Oh damn! That's a gorgeous set. I rarely find a set that I like entirely, I will definitely pick it up if it comes out!
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2019, 07:32:55 by scatology »

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 12:50:44 »
Hella down to buy this, such a pretty set  :) :) :thumb:

Oh damn! That's a gorgeous set. I rarely find a set that I like entirely, I will definitely pick it up if it comes out!

Thank you both for the kind words! Currently working on most of the graphics-related items for the set, and should have some updates this week.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 04:44:10 »
Love that port colour! Very interested in this.

Offline Scoobsheister

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 12:55:06 »
What are the chances of UK ISO support?

Offline VXQN

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 03:52:29 »

Would also like a bit o' UK ISO love.

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 00:20:38 »

Would also like a bit o' UK ISO love.

NorDeUK/ISO have been asking for additions and changes pretty frequently, so I'm definitely considering revising the NumISO kit to reflect this. I'm going to be working on an IC form, and would love your feedback there as well.

Offline Eager_CA

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 25 October 2019, 17:27:59 »
100% for this one!

Offline Willhurt2008

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 25 October 2019, 19:56:12 »
Hope this set becomes reality!

Offline Ishtarnia

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 01 November 2019, 09:26:36 »
I have a U-80 Port on order so I am in on this.

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 02 November 2019, 20:33:19 »
Hope this set becomes reality!

You and I both!

100% for this one!

Thanks so much! Hope you hang around to see all of the updates.

I have a U-80 Port on order so I am in on this.

I've got one too, which is primarily why I decided to run with this kit. Hope you like the kit on the renders.

Offline ref

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 03 November 2019, 10:17:56 »
rama port color?
with 3u spacebar, i will buy.

Offline ivu

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 10:37:18 »
Any chance of a black alphas ?

Insta buy both with white and black alphas if available so i can switch from time to time on my plum iron165... :cool:
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:16:00 by ivu »

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
Re: [IC] GMK Port | IC Form Added!
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 12:16:01 »
Any chance of a black alphas ?

Insta buy both with white and black alphas if available so i can switch from time to time on my plum iron165... :cool:

I won't be doing black alphas for this set, no. The set is thematic, and doing a colour that's not involved in port wine jelly slice doesn't fit the theme.

Interest Check Form has been added!
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2019, 12:21:28 by Ashardalon »