Author Topic: 24" Monitors  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Dirty Bint

24" Monitors
« on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 05:10:49 »
Hi,

I am looking to bint up my monitor to a 16:10 aspect ratio 24" screen. The ones I am thinking about are the Dell U2410, the Eizo Flexscan S2432WH or later equivalent model the Eizo Flexscan S2433WK, the HP ZR24w and the HP LP2475w.

Anyone got any geeky feedback on those listed above or any recommendations to alternative models. The criteria are good build quality, and good adjustment options for height/tilt/rotation.

Rgds
Dirty Bint
I\'m so filthy, I\'m disgusting.

Offline instantkamera

24" Monitors
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 08:35:56 »
Quote from: Dirty Bint;210333
Hi,

I am looking to bint up my monitor to a 16:10 aspect ratio 24" screen. The ones I am thinking about are the Dell U2410, the Eizo Flexscan S2432WH or later equivalent model the Eizo Flexscan S2433WK, the HP ZR24w and the HP LP2475w.

Anyone got any geeky feedback on those listed above or any recommendations to alternative models. The criteria are good build quality, and good adjustment options for height/tilt/rotation.

Rgds
Dirty Bint

tft central is your place to go for this. They have reviewed a good majority of your prospective panels. The reviews are quite handy, since they contain graphs and such where they have already compared the given panel to it's competition on things like black depth, contrast ratio, deltaE etc.

They also cover panel uniformity and other stuff you might be concerned about.

Im not sure if price is a concern, since you have lumped the generally far-higher-priced eizos in with the more moderately price competition, but if this were me (amateur photographer who wants a solid and dependable display, and who already owns a calibrator or two) choice would be laregely based on price.

In my area, that makes the competition between the dell U2410 and HP ZR24W, with the HP winning because it performs very well when calibrated, and mainly because it is NOT an extended gamut monitor (it sounds silly, but for me, simplicity of workflow is key, so the monkey wrench of a wide-gamut display is just extra **** I don't want to have to factor into my flow).
If you want extended gamut, I cant see a better choice than the dell, since Im almost certain it is cheaper than the HP LP2475w (also wide-gamut). This may all be moot if price in your area vary from mine or you have a good deal on one or the other panels. Bottom line is the hps and dells all perform very well for their range. I have never heard anyone complain about eizo, because I know very fewe people who will spend the $$. IF you DO have cash to burn though, the higher end NEC might be worth looking at.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline chongyixiong

24" Monitors
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 09:43:31 »
I have always loved Dell man. Eizo are not sold in my country and they are definitely out of my price range.

Advantages of Dell:
Great screen + wonderful pricing + amazing warranty (Premium Panel Guarantee) + flexible and solid stand + USB ports + media card reader + plethora of input options

Advantages of Eizo:
Love the thin bezel and industrial look
Better quality screen (unconfirmed, maybe they have a better batch pickings?)

What else can I ask for?

I've attached some pictures and I hope you will find them useful.
The last two pics are of the Dell U2311H, sold them off after 1 week because I couldn't get myself used to the 16:9 format. It was an e-IPS screen though (Dell U2410 is H-IPS).

PS: All those backlight bleeding look worse than they usually are.

Dell U2410 Rev A01

Dell U2311H

Offline chongyixiong

24" Monitors
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 11:53:09 »
Quote from: John Deer;210389
It doesn't look like that monitor's lit up evenly in some of those photos. Is it your background?

You meant the black ones? Those are due to the physical limitations of the monitor.

Here's the money shot:

Minigame: Spot the number of red things that I enjoy having around!

Offline D-EJ915

24" Monitors
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 13:04:41 »
you keep your keyboard cables coiled up so it's easier to swap them out?

Offline instantkamera

24" Monitors
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 16:56:32 »
Quote from: chongyixiong;210360
I have always loved Dell man. Eizo are not sold in my country and they are definitely out of my price range.

Advantages of Dell:
Great screen + wonderful pricing + amazing warranty (Premium Panel Guarantee) + flexible and solid stand + USB ports + media card reader + plethora of input options

Advantages of Eizo:
Love the thin bezel and industrial look
Better quality screen (unconfirmed, maybe they have a better batch pickings?)

I dont about eizo, but I dont think they get to choose better panels. They probably DO have tighter tolerances for variation, panel uniformity etc.

I know that a selling point of some of the high-end NECs is that he configurable "color comp" menu where you can manually adjust uniformity. see http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_pa241w.htm under "panel uniformity", pretty insane results.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline chongyixiong

24" Monitors
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 August 2010, 23:41:11 »
Quote from: kishy;210424
Kishy raaaaaaages at people who wrap up their cables like that instead of in a coiled up circular shape.

I have a short one coming in from Monoprice, just the right length.

Quote from: ripster;210429
That's why I like doing it.

I use releasable cable ties - the worlds most significant invention since velcro.
Show Image

I have to agree with you on this, although the head unit is slightly more bulky then what I would like it to be.. and less conspicuous compared to normal plastic clear zipties.

Quote from: D-EJ915;210422
you keep your keyboard cables coiled up so it's easier to swap them out?

I have bought a short USB Male to Female extension cable and a shorter cable so that I can swap out keyboards whenever I like (rotating between M Mini, HHKB Pro, Filco Brown Tenkeyless as well as another incoming HHKB Pro and Topre 87U 55g)

Offline Dirty Bint

24" Monitors
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 August 2010, 13:12:25 »
I ended up binting out for a 16:10 aspect 24 incher from NEC, ie, the MultiSync 24WMGX3 monitor which has all the functionality I need. Nice piece of kit with VGA, DVI, 2 x HDMI and 2 sets of phono Video inputs.

Rgds
Dirty Bint
I\'m so filthy, I\'m disgusting.