Author Topic: 120Hz monitors... Are they really worth it?  (Read 10269 times)

Offline m00nshake

120Hz monitors... Are they really worth it?
« on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 16:27:01 »
My birthday is coming up and I'd like to get a new monitor. I've been reading on forums about people wanting to get a 120Hz monitor. I did some reading up on it and supposedly it looks smoother and reduces tearing in games. I do like playing games so I wanted to hear some opinions from those of you that have tried 120hz monitors. Are they worth it?
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline xJaPx

• Oh, Herro!
Re: 120Hz monitors... Are they really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 16:32:29 »
For face pace quick movement games, i.e. fps and possibly.racing games, yea worth it.  Anything else, not so much.  Unless your into fps games, stick with 60hz , or maybr even jump to 1440p/1600p if u got the power to back it
| Poker MX Red |

Offline Tenkey

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 16:38:59 »
For fps games like bf3 they're quite worth the money

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 20:38:03 »
Or just turn vsync and double-buffering on.

Heh with the age of my games machine I could get by with a 30Hz monitor ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 20:41:15 »
It's also a benefit if for movies @ 24fps since 24 is a factor of 120.

that's what a factor is right? i stopped taking math in high school as soon as I found out I had more math credits than I needed. dropped math in protest against the awful teacher :D
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 20:44:07 »
Yes, 5.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 14:07:14 »
Well right now I'm playing Batman Arkham City and WOW. When I built my computer, I really wanted everything to be top notch (within reason of course). That's how I found out about mechanical keyboards, because I had this expensive computer that I had built and a cheap $20 Logitech keyboard. Now I've got a Filco. :cool: Well, really the only thing left is a good monitor. I don't play any FPS games now, but who knows? I might in the future. :)
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline Upcboy

• Perfect Aim
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 16:13:57 »
From what I've seen I can't tell the Difference on a TV at 60hz and one at 120Hz seems like a marketing ploy to me... i would just get a bigger higher Res Screen especially if your just doing wow and Batman.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 16:24:40 »
From what I've seen I can't tell the Difference on a TV at 60hz and one at 120Hz seems like a marketing ploy to me... i would just get a bigger higher Res Screen especially if your just doing wow and Batman.

Interesting perspective on it, and you could be right. What resolution should I aim for a 60hz monitor? Any recommendations?

Offline Namkung

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 16:38:04 »

This is because 120Hz TVs are not actually fully / truly 120Hz (all 120Hz monitors are however). It is somewhat a marketing ploy. You may also not have seen much difference because there really is not much difference when watching movies or TV shows. It is probably a different story when playing games .
I have not personally checked out the 120Hz monitors so I cannot provide you with my personal opinion but from what I hear, it does make a noticeable different for certain games.
I personally use a IPS panel (U2711 (2560x1440)) and I love it
* Proud winner of the first GH SC2 tournament *
REALFORCE 87UB 55g
REALFORCE 87UW 45g

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 17:43:58 »

This is because 120Hz TVs are not actually fully / truly 120Hz (all 120Hz monitors are however). It is somewhat a marketing ploy. You may also not have seen much difference because there really is not much difference when watching movies or TV shows. It is probably a different story when playing games .
I have not personally checked out the 120Hz monitors so I cannot provide you with my personal opinion but from what I hear, it does make a noticeable different for certain games.
I personally use a IPS panel (U2711 (2560x1440)) and I love it

Ok, thanks a lot for your input. I'm really going to have to take a look at the difference in price between a high resolutioner resolution 60 hz and a lower res 120hz to make the determination. Also I'd like some  of the same features as well as I'm seeing on the 120hz monitors.

Offline yearn4

• formerly known as 4en
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 17:56:43 »
go benq for quality monitors!

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 18:07:57 »
go benq for quality monitors!

I saw a video review from NCIX on the Benq 120hz monitor and it looks great! But I want a 27 inch if I'm spending that much. There's a good one from Acer that has better reviews than the Samsung 27" 120Hz. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009300

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 19:24:46 »
true 120hz are worth it but so is a high res IPS monitor its really up to what you use your PC for. Also 120hz really doesnt do anything for tvs at all its just a marketing ploy.

Offline m00nshake

Re: Re: 120Hz monitors... Are they really worth it?
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:25:05 »
true 120hz are worth it but so is a high res IPS monitor its really up to what you use your PC for. Also 120hz really doesnt do anything for tvs at all its just a marketing ploy.

Thanks for the info. If 120Hz is for gaming than what is the high res IPS for mainly?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:27:52 »

Thanks for the info. If 120Hz is for gaming than what is the high res IPS for mainly?
better color and better viewing angles

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:38:42 »
IPS is typically used by digital media pros. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:40:51 »
IPS is typically used by digital media pros. 
I much say colors are much better especially on my 10bit display which by the way also does 75hz.

Well it used to... cant get it to do it on my laptop....
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 September 2012, 20:44:30 by TheProfosist »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 01:31:20 »
i am not a gamer so keep that in mind.
to me a 120Hz TN would be worthless after using even sIPS. Movies, TV, photoshop work and everything else is just much more vibrant in a way that's hard for me to explain (i'm no scientist or color/value expert). the viewing angle is a huge plus but I dont find that to big quite as big a deal on nicer TN panels.
These days you can get a 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel with 14ms response or better for $350 or less. 14ms response time was perfectly acceptable to many gamers 5 years ago when TN panels began to be mass produced for the consumer market.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline suprsmo

• Sydney, Australia
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 05 September 2012, 02:10:48 »
The key thing about 120hz monitors, is dealing with V-Sync appropriately.

This was very apparent, back in the day, when playing quake 3 on CRT monitors.. as you could easily get 120+ fps out of your PC/vid card.. but to match that with a ****ty CRT that was only doing 60hz refresh rate, means you get tearing in the artifacts of the images.

With 120hz monitors, can you match the 120hz refresh rate, to marry up with ur PC, which can hopefully run 120+ fps for your desired game.

When you do get these bad boys to match, you get a seemless transition from screen to screen, fast movements inparticular.

Totally worhty.

Anyone that says they cant tell the difference is probably better off simply getting a 60hz LED.

Turn your head side on when you look at the monitor, if your eyes register that the screen is flashing, its on or below 60hz.

In short. I want a 27 inch samsung 120hz. just waiting for the price drop!
Poker
QFR

Offline CKTofu

• I don't even...
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 21:19:16 »
Personally, I doubt it. I'll stick with my 1080p 25" 60Hz TN monitors, they work well for me.
Ducky Shine 2 - MX Red with Red LEDs

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 21:21:33 »
25" @ 1080... TN... you poor thing

Offline CKTofu

• I don't even...
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 23:27:53 »
25" @ 1080... TN... you poor thing

I'm pretty hard done by, and I only have two of them.  :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, the advantages of an IPS panel would be lost on me, which makes the price increase not worth it.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 23:59:37 »
i'm curious to know if you've ever looked at an IPS panel -- i've never met anybody who thinks TN looks better than IPS.
unless you're a gamer (and even then big whoop) i cant see why you wouldnt want one especially considering how cheap they are getting.

Offline CKTofu

• I don't even...
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 01:29:09 »
I generally find a $100 difference for a similarly-sized IPS panel. I don't think TN looks better, just that the colour advantages of it will most likely be relatively hard for me to notice, and that the viewing angle doesn't affect me since I position my monitors optimally anyway.. I'll probably go IPS later on in life, if LCD panels are still going strong when I upgrade, but the TN works just fine for me.

Offline Calade

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:54:14 »
I personally don't have any experience from 120 hz monitors, but all my friends who have one have said that you can really see the difference. The sad thing is naturally that all these monitors are currently with TN panels. However, if you're really techy, you might be interested in this: http://www.120hz.biz/

Basically, a while ago some people found out that a specific model (2B) of a Korean 2560x1440 screen called Yamakasi Catleap Q270 was overclockable. They're all individuals so OC performance is not guaranteed, but some units have even gone well past 130hz. In short, it's an IPS display, made using panels that didn't pass the quality control of companies like Apple and Dell and so are much cheaper than them. As far as I've understood, most panels are still very good / perfect in terms of pixel defects.

When the news of this overclockability spread, the 2B models quickly ran out, but they've now taken them back into production because of the high demand. Prices have also gone up, but in comparison to the non-overclockable 2560x1440 screens you find from store shelves, it's still not that bad. As far as I know, it's the only IPS monitor that can do this. Only downside in comparison to TN screens is the slightly slower response time, but I've been thinking of getting one myself.

Offline MonoSky

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 01:27:33 »
XD why not just get a plasma XDDDD

They are getting cheaper tho
|| Corsair K90 Reds || KBT Race WHITE LED with Black Switches || CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid Reds

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 03:01:40 »
i'm curious to know if you've ever looked at an IPS panel -- i've never met anybody who thinks TN looks better than IPS.
unless you're a gamer (and even then big whoop) i cant see why you wouldnt want one especially considering how cheap they are getting.

I'm a "gamer" and I would take a IPS over a 120hz EVERYDAY of the week, even Caturday
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline nar

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 12:23:30 »

As a person who has programmed and tested 120hz tvs before I'd have to disagree. True 120hz tvs with motion interpolation do drastic things to tvs, anyone could spot it instantly pretty much, and no its not all good either, lots of things like movies and tv series start to look excessively... fake, which is why I think a lot of TVs now come with most of the 120hz features by default off.

For a brief info:
First there is fake and true 120hz. Fake 120hz, the TV is incapable of updating the screen with new images at 120hz, but it can display at 120hz, basically it'll display the same image twice every time, with the way most TV technologies work this does have an improvement, but only very slight and you probably won't notice it most of the time. True 120hz is capable of updating new images at 120hz, but of course pretty much all content is at most 60hz or less so there's not much improvement there either.

The real applications are 3D and Motion Interpolation. With motion interpolation your TV uses algorithms to make things 120hz. You can see this affect almost instantly, its kind of hard to explain but lots of things just look fake, the mastering for the films and most tv series seem to be specifically designed for lower frame rates so upping it to 120hz makes it seem less like your watching the film and more like your watching a documentary showing a live filming kind of thing. For other stuff like sports and what not though, the motion interpolation looks great.

3D is pretty obvious, you get 120hz, you can put on those shutter glasses and see in 3d. Though it may seem like marketing, but you should actually get a 240Hz tv, even a fake 240Hz tv, if your going for 3D. The shutter glasses work by blocking 1 eye and then showing each frame as a sequence of frames for Left and Right eye, so your frame rate is already cut in half to 60, then the effect of only seeing in 1 eye at a time seems to halve the frame rate again in your brain so it seems like your watching a 120hz 3d film at 30hz which can definitely cause tiredness and strain. 240hz at least counteracts the brain part so it seems more smooth and less tiring.

Ehh so tl:dr: 120Hz TVs only help if what your watching is at 120Hz, having the TV upconvert to 120Hz works but it can make it look fake.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 14:06:24 »
I ended up getting the 27" ASUS VG278H 120HZ w/ 3D vision 2 glasses and I'm very happy with it. I don't have any experience with IPS monitors so I can't compare, but this is a very nice monitor. And it looks great playing games in 3D. I'm not interested so much in 3D movies and couldn't imagine myself paying the extra for a 3D TV but playing games like Batman: Arkham City in 3D is just amazing in 3D. I ordered GW2 and Skyrim, both of which also support Nvidia 3D vision, and I can't wait to try them out.

Offline silat

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 15:04:01 »
i am not a gamer so keep that in mind.
to me a 120Hz TN would be worthless after using even sIPS. Movies, TV, photoshop work and everything else is just much more vibrant in a way that's hard for me to explain (i'm no scientist or color/value expert). the viewing angle is a huge plus but I dont find that to big quite as big a deal on nicer TN panels.
These days you can get a 24" 1920x1200 IPS panel with 14ms response or better for $350 or less. 14ms response time was perfectly acceptable to many gamers 5 years ago when TN panels began to be mass produced for the consumer market.

14ms was not acceptable at all:) It was our only choice.
Fighting the Christian American Taliban daily with my Deck Legend loaded with Cherry MX Clears //
Deck Legend Ice Clears // Deck Legend Frost Clears // Ducky Shining Purple Browns//QPAD MK85 Browns //

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 16:39:03 »
Ehh so tl:dr: 120Hz TVs only help if what your watching is at 120Hz, having the TV upconvert to 120Hz works but it can make it look fake.
yep thats exactly what i meant an no content for tvs is 120hrz 24p for bd 60i for dvd and 30p or 60i for TV though once nice thing about 120hrz is all of those divide into 120 so you just get repeated frames when using 120hrz. Which means your tv doesnt have to change refresh rate for different sources. I have actually noticed some cheaper tvs that are 120hrz can only do 120hrz and cant be changed down to fit the exact tv refresh rate probably saves them money somewhere. But I stand my ground unless you have 120hrz content or can generate that many frames while gaming 120hrz is mostly useless.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 16:39:33 »

If you insisted on an LCD, yes... but otherwise there were certainly CRTs available.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 September 2012, 16:42:14 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 16:43:02 »

If you insisted on an LCD, yes... but otherwise there were certainly CRTs available.
I still kinda want a really high end crt widescreen if possible I just think it would be awesome to own