Author Topic: "Overrated" products that are actually good  (Read 9348 times)

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
"Overrated" products that are actually good
« on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 23:16:00 »
This thread is to discuss products that many find to be "Overrated", but you might consider to be a great product.

Razer is an overrated company, but I find that their Kraken Pro headset and the Deathadder 2013 to be high quality products.

The Kraken Pro may not be epic sound, but I find it quite fine as a headset, and my girlfriend says that it sounds like I'm right next to her when I use the mic over skype.

The wide range of customizable DPIs (even though it is a marketing ploy) is quite convenient, and even though it has its problems, I like how I can customize the buttons on my mouse with Synapse.
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Main driver : WASD CODE TKL MX Clear

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
Re: "Overrated" products that are actually good
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 01:55:15 »
Topre 55g keyboards, Blendtec blenders, Lenovo products, and Cisco products(real Cisco, not that rebranded Linksys crap).  I've learned the hard way many times that you get what you pay for, and end up replacing cheap products with the expensive stuff you should have purchased to begin with.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 02:43:07 »
Trojan condoms.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 02:45:40 »
Trojan condoms.

Birth control is better XD
Leopold FC660M MX Reds | Poker X 62g  Ergoclear modded and plate modded (out of comission) | IBM Model M 1391401 | Dell AT101 | Compaq RT101 | HHKB Pro 2 | WASD CODE TKL MX Clears

Avid vape collector and advocate. I used to work at to renowned vape shops here in New Jersey. Message me for any vape related questions.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 07:47:49 »
IBM laptops (not the lenovo ones)
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Sniping

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 08:31:35 »

I've been a fan of Lenovo after the Ideapad Y500, just a solid laptop overall.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 08:34:21 »

But can it survive a 10 ft fall or a 200 pound big man sitting on it?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Sniping

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 08:57:08 »

BUT SLI LAPTOP DOE

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:39:48 »

Have fun playing with almost 10 year old laptops LOL.  I would agree, the original IBM Thinkpads were great, but I haven't seen a huge decline in quality since Lenovo took over, and I've deployed thousands of these in corporate environments.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:48:56 »
My lenovo thinkpad is great. Maybe not ibm great, but still better than most laptops.

If you're gonna be dropping it 20 feet into a trash compactor, get a panasonic toughbook.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:52:37 »
Also, Lenovo has a great RMA program, which I haven't used nearly as much as Dell's because the failure rate is less.  They will overnight a box to you with all of the proper padding and next day shipping label, and then overnight it again once repaired.  The whole RMA process is super quick, though maybe not as quick as Dell's.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:58:07 »
Since others are talking about how great IBM products are, IBM Bladecenter servers, the management module is great - although HP's ILO and Dell's DRAC management are nothing to complain about.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:01:31 »
Rain-X is the ****. For easy application, you can get Rain-X in wiper fluid, and I was super-skeptical of it, but it works, and is so worth the $2 premium over the generic soap-water.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:52:09 »
Snuggies.

Winters can be pretty rough when your Asian parents want to save money and turn off the heat. Snuggies kept me warm during winter break.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:57:31 »

Have fun playing with almost 10 year old laptops LOL.  I would agree, the original IBM Thinkpads were great, but I haven't seen a huge decline in quality since Lenovo took over, and I've deployed thousands of these in corporate environments.

so how about those x60/x61?  just about the biggest pieces of **** i've ever had to work on. :))
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:58:34 »
BS IBM Model M&F keyboards ;D

Visual Studio Ultimate (Either 2010 or 2012), the load testing suite and performance profiler alone are worth the extra $$$$

Head and Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo, worth the extra 10% over the generics

Tiger Balm, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed in the morning without it.

Maybe not but my Z61m stopped a bullet a few years ago and is still going strong!

Mouser, Those guys are awesome.
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 13:29:42 »
iDevices.  Apple is not deserving of fanatical worship, but they make a solid portable media/web device.

Snuggies.

+1 for the Snuggie!  I love mine.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 13:40:46 »

so how about those x60/x61?  just about the biggest pieces of **** i've ever had to work on. :))

What specifically about them was so terrible?  I'm not a Lenovo fanboy, so feel free to bash if you have a legitimate gripe.  I just prefer Lenovo because I have had better experiences with that brand compared to HP or Dell in large deployments, they seem to die less often.  An example of what I am talking about is the video chipsets used in Dell and HP laptops, where the solder joints get fragile due to heat issues and it starts to separate from the motherboard after 2-3 years(right about the time the warranty period expires coincidentally).  It doesn't effect all of them, but it is a common issue that I have seen.

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 13:45:18 »
iDevices.  Apple is not deserving of fanatical worship, but they make a solid portable media/web device.

Snuggies.

Show Image

I personally hate iDevices because I like to tinker with stuff, and hate playing the jailbreak/upgrade/jailbreak again game, but I do applaud them for making a very user friendly experience.  My two year old can work an iPad and easily do everything he needs(watch alphabet songs and other learning videos on youtube), which he can't do on other devices.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 13:50:43 »

Snuggies.

Show Image

I personally hate iDevices because I like to tinker with stuff, and hate playing the jailbreak/upgrade/jailbreak again game, but I do applaud them for making a very user friendly experience.  My two year old can work an iPad and easily do everything he needs(watch alphabet songs and other learning videos on youtube), which he can't do on other devices.

I personally like the iPhone because it is really simple. Allows me to do things I want to do on the fly with ease which is the purpose for me getting a cellphone in the first place.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 22:20:57 »
Tuscan Whole Milk. I thought it was all hype, how could a $45 gallon of milk possibly be better than any milk you can pick up at the corner store. Well, boy oh boy was I ever wrong. When the box arrived from Amazon I immediately opened it. Out popped the milk, handing me a note reading "I've been trained to gather fruit for you as a welcome gift." Lo, a few moments later the milk was back with a lovely basket of exotic fruits and some beautiful flowers it had found for me. Needless to say I was stunned, and the day just got better as the milk proceeded to cook me a 6 egg omelet and fresh squeezed orange juice, and gave me a foot rub as I ate. I must say I was skeptical, but I can honestly say Tuscan Whole Milk has improved my day to day life in almost every facet. 

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 23:41:38 »
Tuscan Whole Milk. I thought it was all hype, how could a $45 gallon of milk possibly be better than any milk you can pick up at the corner store. Well, boy oh boy was I ever wrong. When the box arrived from Amazon I immediately opened it. Out popped the milk, handing me a note reading "I've been trained to gather fruit for you as a welcome gift." Lo, a few moments later the milk was back with a lovely basket of exotic fruits and some beautiful flowers it had found for me. Needless to say I was stunned, and the day just got better as the milk proceeded to cook me a 6 egg omelet and fresh squeezed orange juice, and gave me a foot rub as I ate. I must say I was skeptical, but I can honestly say Tuscan Whole Milk has improved my day to day life in almost every facet.

I miss whole milk :( . Been on a diet since like forever and my whole family got so used to drinking skim milk that we never get whole anymore. I love Tuscan.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 14:47:26 »
Visual Studio Ultimate (Either 2010 or 2012), the load testing suite and performance profiler alone are worth the extra $$$$

I hate VS even more than LispWorks (which I already f-ing hate). Slow, bloated, ugly, full of ridiculous bugs. I've appreciated only two things about it during last few years: debugger that can be used by illiterate idiots, and quite readable code in assembly.

Nizoral

Snuggies.

Show Image

I personally like the iPhone because it is really simple. Allows me to do things I want to do on the fly with ease which is the purpose for me getting a cellphone in the first place.

I prefer to use a €30 nokia for that. Moreover, it can last for weeks without charging, unlike the iPhone.

What specifically about them was so terrible?  I'm not a Lenovo fanboy, so feel free to bash if you have a legitimate gripe.  I just prefer Lenovo because I have had better experiences with that brand compared to HP or Dell in large deployments, they seem to die less often.  An example of what I am talking about is the video chipsets used in Dell and HP laptops, where the solder joints get fragile due to heat issues and it starts to separate from the motherboard after 2-3 years(right about the time the warranty period expires coincidentally).  It doesn't effect all of them, but it is a common issue that I have seen.

Battery life.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 June 2013, 14:50:47 by davkol »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 14:48:28 »
Dicota backpacks. They're easy to get, cheaper than Crumpler or Wenger (some of my favorite brands), and actually very good.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 June 2013, 14:52:02 by davkol »

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 14:56:49 »

I hate VS even more than LispWorks (which I already f-ing hate). Slow, bloated, ugly, full of ridiculous bugs. I've appreciated only two things about it during last few years: debugger that can be used by illiterate idiots, and quite readable code in assembly.

While I agree a default install is rather bloated, VS can be trimmed pretty easily. They have skinning options if you really hate the way it looks. :P

Nizoral

Unfortunately Nizoral burns my scalp making it peel, which defeats the purpose entirely.
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline jabar

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 16:04:42 »
Tuscan Whole Milk. I thought it was all hype, how could a $45 gallon of milk possibly be better than any milk you can pick up at the corner store.
That is absolutely ridiculous. Must be a New York thing.

I can get 4 gallons of raw/unhomogenized/pure milk here for that price.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 16:52:51 »
Tuscan Whole Milk. I thought it was all hype, how could a $45 gallon of milk possibly be better than any milk you can pick up at the corner store.
That is absolutely ridiculous. Must be a New York thing.

I can get 4 gallons of raw/unhomogenized/pure milk here for that price.

That's €35. I can buy 55 l of unprocessed milk for that here.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 17:02:22 »
iPads for me.  I was morally opposed for a good long time, and most of our Android gadgets at home have some custom ROMs in them, but I gave an open box iPad 4 a try, and I do really love it!  More than like Nexus 10 that I almost got instead.  My only step up would be a W8 tablet with some future improved specs (better battery life and scteen while still having a mobile i5).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Lanx

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 20:18:29 »
all the i****s are pretty good, we decided wife should just upgrade to iphone 5 (from 4) instead of a note2 cuz she's had it forever even tho her work phone is a 4s.

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 21:04:11 »
Yeah I've always had problems with Windows and Android phones. Froze 10x more than my iPhone does now. My dad is using a Samsung Galaxy and it freezes a lot, too. It is faster and there is more you can play with, but when I had an Android and when I really needed it, it would crash, freeze, or just not work.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 21:06:02 »
I love my custom Android ROMs, but yes, crashing and freezing is a big problem, and I've gone through many different ones over the years on various devices.  iPad 4's very stable, relative to that.  Sometimes Safari will crash or a 3rd party app (need to read reviews), but it's uncommon.  Also amazing battery life!

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 21:14:04 »
I love my custom Android ROMs, but yes, crashing and freezing is a big problem, and I've gone through many different ones over the years on various devices.  iPad 4's very stable, relative to that.  Sometimes Safari will crash or a 3rd party app (need to read reviews), but it's uncommon.  Also amazing battery life!

I actually use the Chrome app on my iPhone and it is pretty solid. Less crashes, and I like chrome.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 21:22:51 »
I'm not sure about the most recent Chrome versions for iOS, but when I tried it in January-February, it was slower than Safari.  I prefer Mercury browser, and Puffin is okay too for some webpages that don't display properly elsewhere.  Most of the time I just use Safari.

Offline calavera

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 21:31:24 »
Overrated? overpriced?

Apple, Bose, Nike...

Offline TimIsABat

• MX Clears are life
    • Instagram
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 22:56:15 »
Overrated? overpriced?

Apple, Bose, Nike...

Nike...So many issues with them...I want my money back for stealing my money from 8th-10th grade when I was a little hypebeast collecting sneakers lol.

Although Nike Free 3.0 and most of the other sneakers from the Free line are quite nice and really great for dance, running, and everyday walking. They don't look bad either. I mostly dress preppy so I wear oxford wingtips, boat shoes, and loafers.

TOMS. Although the campaign is a gimmick and the shoes are way expensive, I got a nice olive corduroy pair as a gift and they are really damn comfortable. Never get fakes from the Phillippines though...the insole ripped, and I got a cut on the bottom of my foot.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 06:42:53 »
Overrated? overpriced?

Apple, Bose, Nike...

Air Force Ones man, Air Force ones...

I was a huge sneaker head throughout high school, but after I purchased my first pair of AF1's, I never looked for another shoe for everyday wear since.

Classic look and comfy as hell.  Perfect balance between rigidity and support.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 07:34:11 »
My iPhone is good but super over-rated... but that goes for all Apple stuff tbf... non of it is really 'bad' but most of it is rated as if it was hand crafted by Jesus

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 14:58:46 »
My iPhone is good but super over-rated... but that goes for all Apple stuff tbf... non of it is really 'bad' but most of it is rated as if it was hand crafted by Jesus

hahaha yeah.

You see, what i enjoy the most about iDevices is that they work together flawlessly. My dad has an iPad, my mom has one, i have an iPad mini (lol) and an iPhone, plus we have a Mac server at home. It all works flawlessly together, server has months of uptime to backup stuff/print stuff, and so on. While both my other computers work properly (ok the ubuntu one is a little ****ed up), i'd say Apple make solid stuff in terms of stability. It's pretty rare to see some iDevices have some lags.

None of my iDevices are jailbreaked yet, but i'm planning to do it on the iPad just for the free stuff. But right now i like it this way, i take notes in classes or at job and they all pop up on the iPhone and on the main computer via the web client.

It's not informatics made easy, it's simply informatics done right. It does limited stuff, but the little it may do versus a Windows machine, it does it better, way better.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:04:02 »
My OH is using my iPad for a conference abroad.  He took it to check e-mail, read the web, and such.  But we remembered that there's a lightning-to-VGA dongle (was available at the conference center) for a projector, so he actually ended up giving his presentations from the iPad.  And then using apps like Sugarsync, he could access all of his recent papers and plots from his work computer that are auto-synced very quickly.  And then also take notes with a nice stylus I got (there's an app by Evernote that allows written notes and syncs them through Evernote).  Anyway, it could be done on other devices, but I still think it's awesome, given the stability and nice screen size / resolution of the iPad (4 in my case).  I know my next mobile thing will be a Windows 8 tablet with an 11.8" screen or so, or maybe one of those foldable ultrabooks that can convert to tablets, but they are still really expensive at the moment, and the iPad's been great for small things.  Very happy with it.

(P.S.: the only real need for a more portable "work" machine in my case is for travel... but I find that while traveling on conferences, not much work is done remotely anyway.  To run a program or check on progress on a remote work / home machine, there are remote connection apps, even for iPad (such as teamviewer).  Our household has not had a need for a laptop for a few years now--we sold off all of our laptops and netbooks).
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 July 2013, 15:06:06 by Photoelectric »

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:55:10 »
My OH is using my iPad for a conference abroad.  He took it to check e-mail, read the web, and such.  But we remembered that there's a lightning-to-VGA dongle (was available at the conference center) for a projector, so he actually ended up giving his presentations from the iPad.  And then using apps like Sugarsync, he could access all of his recent papers and plots from his work computer that are auto-synced very quickly.  And then also take notes with a nice stylus I got (there's an app by Evernote that allows written notes and syncs them through Evernote).  Anyway, it could be done on other devices, but I still think it's awesome, given the stability and nice screen size / resolution of the iPad (4 in my case).  I know my next mobile thing will be a Windows 8 tablet with an 11.8" screen or so, or maybe one of those foldable ultrabooks that can convert to tablets, but they are still really expensive at the moment, and the iPad's been great for small things.  Very happy with it.

(P.S.: the only real need for a more portable "work" machine in my case is for travel... but I find that while traveling on conferences, not much work is done remotely anyway.  To run a program or check on progress on a remote work / home machine, there are remote connection apps, even for iPad (such as teamviewer).  Our household has not had a need for a laptop for a few years now--we sold off all of our laptops and netbooks).

I totally get you. One of my teacher bought an iPad to give his classes. It's pretty neat since it can do pretty much the same as powerpoint.

And it's same here, we have sold pretty much all our "mobile" computer (laptop & netbook) except for three; My dad's first laptop (ThinkPad 700T i guess) he doesn't want to sell, my older sisters to****ba sate**** laptop and my living room server (hp mini 1000 only streams music and radio). All the other mobile devices are iPads/iPhones/Playbook (yeah pretty cool device for less than 100$) and some other tablets my dad tries but sells or trade to get some others. He tried most of them so far and says except for the Surface and the Nexus 10, no other tablets are close to be worthy compare to the iPad.

He thinks there's three things to check on tablets, that's how he bases his opinion :
The screen (Pentile = ****, FullRGB = good screen, and check resolution too)
The package manager or "app store" (because any tablet you will have will run anything available on it's package manager so far)
The build quality (Because when the screen stops responding or some other random problems, it's **** like this making tablets better than other).

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 16:58:05 »

hahaha yeah.

You see, what i enjoy the most about iDevices is that they work together flawlessly. My dad has an iPad, my mom has one, i have an iPad mini (lol) and an iPhone, plus we have a Mac server at home. It all works flawlessly together, server has months of uptime to backup stuff/print stuff, and so on. While both my other computers work properly (ok the ubuntu one is a little ****ed up), i'd say Apple make solid stuff in terms of stability. It's pretty rare to see some iDevices have some lags.

None of my iDevices are jailbreaked yet, but i'm planning to do it on the iPad just for the free stuff. But right now i like it this way, i take notes in classes or at job and they all pop up on the iPhone and on the main computer via the web client.

It's not informatics made easy, it's simply informatics done right. It does limited stuff, but the little it may do versus a Windows machine, it does it better, way better.

I jail broke my iphone becasue I really dislike how iOS works for nearly everything... waiting for them to hack in chatheads for notifications too...

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 17:06:28 »

hahaha yeah.

I jail broke my iphone becasue I really dislike how iOS works for nearly everything... waiting for them to hack in chatheads for notifications too...

Yeah iOS is pretty limited in itself. What's makes iDevices good are the apps not the operating system. Until iOS7 which is probably going to be not too bad.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 17:07:57 »
iOS7 fixes non of the real issues I have with iOS though... which is the horrible way notifications work... and I still think that the way my hacked iphone multi-tasks is better than Palm's (how iOS7 works)...

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 17:21:24 »
iOS7 fixes non of the real issues I have with iOS though... which is the horrible way notifications work... and I still think that the way my hacked iphone multi-tasks is better than Palm's (how iOS7 works)...

Explain multi-tasks on a 3.5 inch device please.

I'm really having a hard time with this expression... except audio on earphones and another app on the screen, i hardly see how you can multi-task on an iPhone lol.

Send screen shots of your Hacked device please.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 17:38:26 »

hahaha yeah.

If you are referring to the ability to sync data across Apple devices (mail, calendar, contacts) that's thanks to Microsoft Exchange Severs that Apple uses (at least they did a couple of years ago.)

Other than being extremely overpriced (which is why most people REALLY like Apple - status symbol) and heavily restricted and monitored (big brother anyone?) I like Apple stuff. They look pretty and the software is pretty solid.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 18:20:19 »

hahaha yeah.

If you are referring to the ability to sync data across Apple devices (mail, calendar, contacts) that's thanks to Microsoft Exchange Severs that Apple uses (at least they did a couple of years ago.)

Other than being extremely overpriced (which is why most people REALLY like Apple - status symbol) and heavily restricted and monitored (big brother anyone?) I like Apple stuff. They look pretty and the software is pretty solid.

Not only data sync. Some stuff is working pretty well like AirPrint and the Autobackups. My dad has a macro that imports his work reports automaticly from his iPad to our Apple server, and then it e-mails the reports directly to its superiors. While that ain't much it's half an hour saved a day.

That ain't bad.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 19:12:36 »
Not familiar with AirPrint but rsync is nice for backups. Too bad MS has never implemented something similar in their backup software. I don't like for my data to be compressed into a single, proprietary, file.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 05:51:41 »
When it comes to consumer electronics, I am not sure whether things like Iphones or any of these popular "hype" devices are overrated.

Sure they are overrated by some , in the sense that they believe them to be of superior quality to anything else out there. But another thing is that we have entered an age where technology and consumer electronics are no longer just judged by the way they perform. We carry these things everywhere now and are seen with them constantly in our daily lives. Computers are no longer in the attic or study, but in the living room and in public places. Like anything else we carry with us constantly we have started to care more and more about the look of the devices that we carry around. That is where I think these products make their money. A lot of people do not choose to get them because they truly believe there is nothing else out there that could compare, but they get them because they believe it has a look that appeals to them, or that is popular and cool at that moment in time. So instead of being overrated in terms of what they can do in terms of performance, there may be some different or additional reason why people go crazy for them. Instead of being overrated they are just highly rated for their look and general appeal.

I see this with my nephews and nieces. I bought my nephew beats audio headphones, because I understand that he wants to wear them outside and to school. And in that age category, you want to have things that you find cool and are perceived as cool by your peers. I could find him a better set of headphones for the price, but the difference in look is more important to him than the difference in performance. Even if I would personally prefer a more understated professional and less urban and flashy look, I do understand the appeal and know that performance is only a small part of the reason why these kids want to have them. In fact, I am fairly sure that he wants them mostly for the look. Performance wise I think he would be satisfied with 10 dollar in-ear headphones. I am sure he is not the only one willing to pay a huge premium primarily for looks rather than performance.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 06:03:02 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 07:36:23 »
Totally agree with above post.

I am not much of a "Trend Follower", but for people who doesn't understand electronics, i believe following the path everybody takes is a safe choice.

Put yourself in the position of somebody who doesn't know how electronics work at all; you don't really care about your device, you simply want something that will play music when you press play, and that will read your emails when you press mail. Everybody speaks about memory size (8gb 16gb 32gb 64gb...) therefor that's the only thing you care about.

You don't give a damn about processors
You don't give a damn about speed
You just don't give a damn
Because you don't know what to give a damn about.

Therefor you go with the trend, because everybody seems happy with their device. That applies for pretty much anything i guess. I guess your nephew is too young to see a sound difference between beats and any other headset, and therefor simply wants what people around him have.

At least when you pay big bucks you kinda get what you pay for. High price devices tend to be resistant.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 08:51:56 »

I'm really having a hard time with this expression... except audio on earphones and another app on the screen, i hardly see how you can multi-task on an iPhone lol.

Yeah that's fair enough I guess. There are things you can run in the background but they are limited, I'd love the multi-screen/tasking stuff that I think the Galaxy 4 has(?) but I don't think the iPhone's screen is big enough to make that useful, though on an iPad I'd 100% want/demand it becasue it seems insane to me that you can't... but anyway...

I guess what I meant was the app switcher, the stock iOS one is garbage and simply displays a ****ty row of icons which tell you little about anything, with this hack (can't remember the name sorry) I can see what the programs are I have running in standby mode by looking at them, which means you can (and I have) had notes open to something so you can glance at it while in another app. It also gives you some toggles for settings and a better music controller;

it's not a revolution, but its the best solution I've come across on iOS, and better than the Palm OS iOS7 version.

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 09:36:35 »

Yeah that's fair enough I guess. There are things you can run in the background but they are limited, I'd love the multi-screen/tasking stuff that I think the Galaxy 4 has(?) but I don't think the iPhone's screen is big enough to make that useful, though on an iPad I'd 100% want/demand it becasue it seems insane to me that you can't... but anyway...

I guess what I meant was the app switcher, the stock iOS one is garbage and simply displays a ****ty row of icons which tell you little about anything, with this hack (can't remember the name sorry) I can see what the programs are I have running in standby mode by looking at them, which means you can (and I have) had notes open to something so you can glance at it while in another app. It also gives you some toggles for settings and a better music controller;

Show Image

it's not a revolution, but its the best solution I've come across on iOS, and better than the Palm OS iOS7 version.

Hey that looks pretty neat thanks for the picture.

Indeed it looks like your custom hack covers some lacks of iOS 6 (like the Control Center). Luckily iOS 7 is comming up with these features but the look is a little childish (while iOS 6 looks neat and colorful, iOS 7 is too "pride" and "girly"...).

Anyway if you are comfortable with your current custom rom that's what's important right? :)

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX