Author Topic: [IC] GMK sets interest check and planning  (Read 257006 times)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: [IC] GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:04:01 »
I dunno, I find coffee on cream kind of earthy, perhaps vintage. Like sepia coloured caps. I bet they look much cooler in person than in a pic.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:05:20 »
Can we just cut the discussion short and settle on Dolch already :P

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:06:27 »

Noooope! We can discuss all we want, because I think dolch/skidata will win regardless of discussion :D So all my rebuttals are void anyhow :)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:21:21 »

Lock it up! ;D
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:27:58 »
Ok, I'll expand a bit, it'll go perfectly with my chocolate leather watch strap which has natural linen (waxed) stitching.  And it wouldn't be very difficult to stitch up, a chocolate (or coffee, whatever's your poison) carrying case for a 60% board or even stitch and glue on a leather outer to hide the institutional blank plastic.

Yes, I'm a man who can sew.

The large amounts of rich dark leather, with the lesser quantity of light, off-white, stitching, contrasting with the cream or mostly off-white if you prefer keys with their lesser amount of coffee.

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:29:17 »
I love the coffee and cream keycaps (I may be biased since I love coffee though), but as people have mentioned earlier, I have a hard time seeing they'd fit on a modern board. Actually they could look quite alright on a beige Filco, but since I haven't seen one of these in person I can't say for sure. If we'd do a retro style custom keyboard run they could be the perfect match too... Hmm... I think I just outargued myself.

My votes went towards Dolch and Handarbeit anyway! I've wanted a Dolch set for what feels like years so it was the natural choice (even though I don't think it'd be a good match on any of my current keyboards).

Handarbeit was more of an unexpected decision for me, since I'm not really fond of unicorn vomit keyboards in general, but both this set and tsangan's HHKB prove that colorful keycaps <> unicorn vomit. I could imagine dressing almost all of my keyboards up in Handarbeit sets, without them looking like crap afterwards. :)

Voted for US and SF in the languages section. Would've voted for Icelandic if there was an option for it, but there isn't. Don't think anyone else would've been interested in it though. :> GMK probably don't have the legends for Ð and Þ anyway, so. :Þ

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:42:11 »
Ok, I'll expand a bit, it'll go perfectly with my chocolate leather watch strap which has natural linen (waxed) stitching.  And it wouldn't be very difficult to stitch up, a chocolate (or coffee, whatever's your poison) carrying case for a 60% board or even stitch and glue on a leather outer to hide the institutional blank plastic.

The large amounts of rich dark leather, with the lesser quantity of light, off-white, stitching, contrasting with the cream or mostly off-white if you prefer keys with their lesser amount of coffee.
That, now please show me your watch strap.

COFFEE ON CREAM PL0X!
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:54:32 »
Oh kid, if you knew the trouble you put me to...

I'll pop one up on the watch section in a few minutes.

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 13:55:17 »

That would look damn fine, and I have actually imagined the set on a case dressed in leather. But I don't think 300 people would fit the set on said case.
I must admit that the set would also look great on a wooden case, but again, not many has got one.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
[IC] GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 14:45:22 »
Yes, if someone makes a leather covered TKL case, I'll buy the coffee on cream set. But only then. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 16:17:16 »
Sold to the man from the science branch!  :))

Depending on how "through" a job you want to do, it could be a simple strip that goes around the perimeter and is stitched at the back/front/side and glued in place - this would leave a plastic "rim" showing on the top, and the base would also be bare plastic.

Next step along would be a strip with a lip - an extra 5mm or so in the depth of the strip which would be applied as above, then trim the corners of the extra 5mm rise so that they stick down and hide the "rim", the base remains bare plastic.

The *ultimate* (and pointless?) step would be making a net which accommodated the covering of the base as well as the sides and the lip - this would have the stitching on the vertical edges.

A portable case would probably be best done as a net too, rather than a simple fold-and-stitch due to the depth of the board.

Offline epicsilas

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 20:07:14 »
I honestly don't see what's so great about Dolch.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 21:56:56 »
It's cool sounding.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 21:58:54 »
Dolcheeeeeehhhhhh?

I think the coolest sounding is obviously Handarbeit. Handarrrrrhhhh baeihhttt!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 22:00:09 »
I thought it was pronounced Doh-Ehl-Sh. I dunno! LOL!

Offline Glissant

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 01:45:59 »
Handarbeit = handjob ROFL.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 01:46:52 »
Oh you! Making that set so attractive! :D

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 03:53:46 »
I love the coffee and cream keycaps (I may be biased since I love coffee though), but as people have mentioned earlier, I have a hard time seeing they'd fit on a modern board. Actually they could look quite alright on a beige Filco, but since I haven't seen one of these in person I can't say for sure. If we'd do a retro style custom keyboard run they could be the perfect match too... Hmm... I think I just outargued myself.

My votes went towards Dolch and Handarbeit anyway! I've wanted a Dolch set for what feels like years so it was the natural choice (even though I don't think it'd be a good match on any of my current keyboards).

Handarbeit was more of an unexpected decision for me, since I'm not really fond of unicorn vomit keyboards in general, but both this set and tsangan's HHKB prove that colorful keycaps <> unicorn vomit. I could imagine dressing almost all of my keyboards up in Handarbeit sets, without them looking like crap afterwards. :)

Voted for US and SF in the languages section. Would've voted for Icelandic if there was an option for it, but there isn't. Don't think anyone else would've been interested in it though. :> GMK probably don't have the legends for Ð and Þ anyway, so. :Þ
Yay more Handarbeit love :)

What I love about the set is that you can use it all or just use part of it, its a versitile set for you to mix and match with other sets and still look nice unlike other classic sets where you're pretty much stuck with the same keys
Keyboardless

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
Re: GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 04:13:59 »
All set will come with Alt AND Alt Gr as default as pretty much everything but US ANSI uses it. All the current proposed keys are listed in post 2.
Just to clarify, so purchasing a US language pack would mean getting another set of matching Alts to complete the Alt pair on US ANSI, correct? And by any chance, are 1x Windows keys going to be an option?

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
Re: Re: GMK full sets interest check and planning
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 04:22:14 »
All set will come with Alt AND Alt Gr as default as pretty much everything but US ANSI uses it. All the current proposed keys are listed in post 2.
Just to clarify, so purchasing a US language pack would mean getting another set of matching Alts to complete the Alt pair on US ANSI, correct? And by any chance, are 1x Windows keys going to be an option?
Doesn't post 2 cover this.  Have I missed something?
In the modifiers pack you will get 3 "alt" keys thus will be 1 each of sizes 1, 1.25, and 1.5. Takes care of the left of the board.
You also get 3 "Alt Gr" keys. 1 each of the 3 sizes as above. Right of board sorted.

Simples.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2013, 04:24:54 by GMC »
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline cgbuen

• cgbuen.io
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 04:52:47 »
I personally haven't ever seen Alt Gr on any US ANSI board, which is why I ask.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 07:02:38 »
Yeah the mod pack is for all layouts, US ANSI is the only one that has Alt instead of Alt Gr

No need to link a picture of a Filco, pretty sure everyone has seen it lol...

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 07:49:07 »
Pack also has blanks if the gr upsets but be fair, its used by pretty much every other layout
 "Blank profile B (6 keys; 2x each):  1.0, 1.25, 1.5"

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 09:19:34 »
aw shiet I've only got one keyboard but definitely getting a dolch pack if I can hahaha

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 09:57:16 »
YAY.

But this is gonna be very long in the future aint it?  ;D

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 10:31:55 »
I'm for olivetti or skidata.

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline agor

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 12:40:11 »

Its "handmade" actually, but I guess you know that :P
And now lets order the Dolch sets already
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline Glissant

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 12:49:22 »
agor

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 19:54:28 »
Current polling... Dolch in the lead by a large margin, three way tie of Olivetti, Skidata, and TA. It's looking like we might only need to offer US/GB/DE/ES/SF as there are so far very few entries for other languages. If you need other language you better start campaigning at other forums, though I would like everyone to post about it on any other appropriate forums (tech related, language studies, etc) you may visit as well to drum up interest in general anyway.

Of course scoops as default. If there is a lot of interest I don't have any problem with including center dot or flat/unmarked F J also.

Also, suggestions for special packs as separate items? Maybe a Control/Caps Lock swap kit, others?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2013, 19:58:00 by lysol »

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:03:27 »
Oh noes. Nobody likes the rainbow multicoloured bling super unicorn vomit set :(

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:04:45 »
Oh noes. Nobody likes the rainbow multicoloured bling super unicorn vomit set :(

This wizard does.

And I do enjoy the though of a caps/ctrl swap kit most definitely. Clear legends!!

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:08:52 »

This wizard does.

And I do enjoy the though of a caps/ctrl swap kit most definitely. Clear legends!!

I might just have to throw a million bucks to get that set ;)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:26:50 »
There are many fans of the handarbiet, just not enough as of now. As we run various colorways it could always be possible to piece it together over time. We will already be having the white on purple mods pack, then when/if we run white on red most of it would be there.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:29:53 »
There are many fans of the handarbiet, just not enough as of now. As we run various colorways it could always be possible to piece it together over time. We will already be having the white on purple mods pack, then when/if we run white on red most of it would be there.

After purple,red,white,green,blue we will have a full set! hah Oh and just for the pink and light green caps, another two sets! I'd be in rainbow heaven.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:30:15 »

After purple,red,white,green,blue we will have a full set! hah

Looooooooooong way to go ;D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:32:24 »
If things are done quarterly it will only take you year and a half or something... not that long. :)) You also forgot the yellow, and that pink color...

Offline metafour

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 20:32:32 »
I voted for Handarbeit as my second choice. I'd prefer to have a brand new Dolch set with proper mods first though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:44:09 »
2 things:

1. For the Handarbeit, if one complete set of each colour could be made, interested people will buy one of each set they like, and mix'n'match.  And I'm not just saying that to get a full set of that very nice yellow ;)

2. For the Triumph Adler, a set of the bright (lime?) green like the backspace key would be sweet :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:45:35 »
2 things:

1. For the Handarbeit, if one complete set of each colour could be made, interested people will buy one of each set they like, and mix'n'match.  And I'm not just saying that to get a full set of that very nice yellow ;)

2. For the Triumph Adler, a set of the bright (lime?) green like the backspace key would be sweet :)

1. Rowdy obviously wants the yellow very much  :))

2. He still wants the yellow very very much  :p :p

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 22:29:02 »
I wouldn't buy like 7 sets to make that set, sounds kinda stupid to me

like I said before that set can be used to mix and match that's why it's so awesome where it doesn't have a "correct" colour layout

with that being said I do understand why people would like dolch and so on though so it's all good, if anything ill just run the GB myself
Keyboardless

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 22:34:54 »

like I said before that set can be used to mix and match that's why it's so awesome where it doesn't have a "correct" colour layout

with that being said I do understand why people would like dolch and so on though so it's all good, if anything ill just run the GB myself

+2 for me!

Offline rDuck

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 03:15:09 »
a 75% rightmost row set would be quite lovely

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #192 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 03:30:46 »
I was just thinking that consisted of nice yellow keycaps (everyone wants a set of those, right?), purple (everyone isis clamouring for a decent purple set, pink (to rival the Valentine Set), blue (in memory of CCnB), red (to complement RA/Klaxon) which only leave green and orange, pretty much, to get the full Handarbeit experience :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 04:54:12 »
Would be cool if we could have a definitive numpad kit with compatibility for the standard block, 1800, goldtouch, cherry numpads, etc.

Offline korne

• comscan
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 10:45:18 »
In the future if anyone run black on white/beige and white on black cherry set's will be nice to add Z/Y cherry conversion set so we can use the current german keys with the correct profile

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 11:50:11 »

I would buy it.

For me Dolch is too mainstream and I don't see the point in getting something that is already available on the market.  I don't actually understand why is getting all the votes right now  :-X

I voted for:

1- Black on tan/warm white
2- White on multi color(Handerbeit)

I guess none of my options will happen  :p

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #196 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 11:51:34 »

I would buy it.

For me Dolch is too mainstream and I don't see the point in getting something that is already available on the market.  I don't actually understand why is getting all the votes right now  :-X

I voted for:

1- Black on tan/warm white
2- White on multi color(Handerbeit)

I guess none of my options will happen  :p

How you like em black cherry ds?

Offline Germiphene

« Reply #197 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 11:58:16 »
I am so in for a Dolch set!  In fact I'd be in for like 4 sets of different colors.  The skiData, Coffee on cream, blue on white!  I've gotta Feevah!
HHKB pro | RF 87U | RF 87U uni-45g | CM QFR | Steelseries 6Gv2 | Filco MT2 | IBM model M | IBM SSK '87

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #198 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 12:22:55 »

Dolch SEEMS "mainstream" because some of the nicest pics posted and worth remembering are of it. It also looks great with most modern boards (black, metallic, red, camo, etc). Most people do not want to acquire them off of ebay (or fail at doing so) through getting the board separated from the whole system. Plus, when they do, it ends up being well over $100 (ebay or resold here).

I want it at a great price and new. This is the way to do it, and the massive interest bodes well for lower pricing. :D
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 12:33:56 »
I don't think the price was ever determined for full sets. IIRC the estimate quote for full set was over $100 anyway.