Author Topic: [IC] Granite Round 2  (Read 248033 times)

Offline awhitedev

Re: [IC] Granite Round 2
« Reply #1200 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 20:35:13 »
Mine are also pretty bent and scratched up. Ugh... I'm sure they'll work but as strict said.. I'm pretty disappointed for a set as expensive as these.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1201 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 20:36:42 »
If mine come in than a less than satisfactory condition I am really going to be tempted to just sell them..

Offline justnits

« Reply #1202 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 21:17:39 »
ok, lets put the warped big keys aside, i'm more interested to know if there's alignment and crooked key problems like in R1?
| | | |
Ducky DK9008 Shine 2 Gateron Red w/ Korean 55g gold lubed spring & custom LED | Ergodox with Aluminium top plate | IBM Model M SSK | GHPad | GON's Nerd TKL | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX Blue
[Sold]Keycool 87 PBT White Cherry MX Blue | [Sold]ikbc F-104 Cherry MX Brown

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #1203 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 22:25:20 »
My Minila looks so so fine in Granite :D
Though these costar inserts are suck, there's not grip to them at all. My 1.25u Fn from Text Mods got mixed up with a 1u Fn from someones Text Pro Mods though. I used my only 1.25u Fn from R1 Pro Mods and put a Pn in place of left Fn.

If there was anything else missing or incorrect, I haven't noticed just yet. Though, I have so many Granite caps, I don't know if I ever will notice o_o;

One thing I noticed is the sprue marks are all top-aligned this time around. One thing that bugged me from R1 was they were often sprued at the sides or the bottom in relation to the legends orientation.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1204 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 23:19:32 »
I finished up un-warping the Icon Mods (still need to do the Icon Pro) and got something thrown together quick. Technically this will be a Phantom eventually, for now though its just a bunch of switches in a stainless plate inside a Filco ninja case. I don't feel like any of my keys have stem alignment issues or off-center legends like we saw with R1 so that's a plus!

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1205 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 23:19:43 »
My granite set arrived today. However, I'm not very happy with it. Virtually every key bigger than 1.25u is warped to the point of being unusable without working it over with a hair-dryer. Essentially all the stabilized keys are warped enough to cause Cherry plate stabs to hang. Many of the keys have visible cruciform mold irregularities on the key face. Almost all the keys have some level of light scratch marks from rubbing against other keys (during shipping?).

Show Image

Not the best photo of the scratches but you can kind of see it
Show Image

6.25u spacebar warped badly enough it causes Cherry plate stabs to hang
Show Image

Caps lock keys are a good average for the level of warpage, some keys are worse than this and some keys are better
Show Image

I don't think I'll be ordering anything manufactured by SP ever again and I'm about 2 seconds away from cancelling my Deep Space order. For the amount of money these keys cost I'm pretty disappointed. I didn't have anything like this from the $20 BangGood PBT set I bought and the Granite set cost 5x that much.

Also, I thought these keys would be packed in that nice little black and blue box from SP with the DSA "thank you" keys on top, but the bags of keys were just thrown into a brown shipping box.

Ouch.

Hopefully they will replace the warped caps.

Have you contacted MassDrop, or SP about it?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #1206 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 00:39:57 »
The shipment is in my city, why oh why does it say there are still 2 more business days? Ohh well I guess I can get then next time I fly home, what is a few more days waiting.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1207 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 00:42:48 »
Mine was delivered today, to my office, which is closed. Feels bad. :'(
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #1208 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 09:10:30 »
I also noticed a slight bow on the left and right side of the longer keys. It won't really be a problem.. especially since I'm using costar stabs... but thought it was strange none the less. I've never seen that happen before.

Here's the underside of the 0 key from my numpad set

82906-0

As you can see, it's clearly not thick PBT... which I sort of expected anyways. Maybe this is why it bowed and warped... as you all know PBT, especially thin PBT, has a way of doing that.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #1209 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 10:28:12 »
This might be a stretch, but does anyone have an extra 7u spacebar (or maybe ordered one but don't need it?)

It's the last thing I need to make my incoming Granite kit work with my keyboard(s).

I can either pay you for the spacebar or can trade you some extras from my following kits:

Core, Text Mods, Text Pro, Specialty, and ESC/Enter kits.

Please, please, please help me  :-*
null

Offline TopreFan333

« Reply #1210 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 11:57:29 »
If mine come in than a less than satisfactory condition I am really going to be tempted to just sell them..
If this happens and they're usable, I'd be quite willing to buy you out.

Offline jeep

« Reply #1211 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 15:51:13 »
This might be a stretch, but does anyone have an extra 7u spacebar (or maybe ordered one but don't need it?)

I will have one that I'm happy to trade. I know that I'm looking for a couple caps, but need to figure out which.

-JEEP

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #1212 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 17:03:26 »

I will have one that I'm happy to trade. I know that I'm looking for a couple caps, but need to figure out which.

-JEEP

Sweet . Let me know and we'll work something out
null

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1213 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 18:35:31 »
I also noticed a slight bow on the left and right side of the longer keys. It won't really be a problem.. especially since I'm using costar stabs... but thought it was strange none the less. I've never seen that happen before.

(Attachment Link)

As you can see, it's clearly not thick PBT... which I sort of expected anyways. Maybe this is why it bowed and warped... as you all know PBT, especially thin PBT, has a way of doing that.

A lot of my keys were bowed similar to that as well. It kind of corrected itself as I was bending the keys with the hair dryer since the direction I needed to bend them caused the middle to bow back out.

Do many of your keys have the cruciform deformities on the key face? The deformities on mine are prominent enough I can feel them with my fingers. It really makes the set look and feel cheap  :'(

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1214 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 18:39:03 »
The deformities on mine are prominent enough I can feel them with my fingers. It really makes the set look and feel cheap  :'(

This is honestly a shame. I was really hoping for improvements from R1 and the pictures I'm seeing so far look like setbacks. I feel for you strict. If mine shows up like this, I'm going to be really disappointed in SP. Their ABS sets are awesome, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't try to fix the PBT problems more before allowing R2.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1215 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 18:55:18 »
The deformities on mine are prominent enough I can feel them with my fingers. It really makes the set look and feel cheap  :'(

This is honestly a shame. I was really hoping for improvements from R1 and the pictures I'm seeing so far look like setbacks. I feel for you strict. If mine shows up like this, I'm going to be really disappointed in SP. Their ABS sets are awesome, but for the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't try to fix the PBT problems more before allowing R2.

+1. I think in total my entire granite order between Massdrop and PMK is somewhere around $250 and that's a lot of money.. Quality shouldn't be an issue at that price point.

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #1216 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 20:09:26 »

(Attachment Link)

A lot of my keys were bowed similar to that as well. It kind of corrected itself as I was bending the keys with the hair dryer since the direction I needed to bend them caused the middle to bow back out.

Do many of your keys have the cruciform deformities on the key face? The deformities on mine are prominent enough I can feel them with my fingers. It really makes the set look and feel cheap  :'(

Yes, unfortunately, mine also have cruciform deformities. I had to really feel for it though... otherwise I couldn't really tell.. but maybe that's just me.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #1217 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 22:55:59 »
Was definitely expecting some warpage but that looks pretty bad, strict. :(  No shipping notice for mine yet, it just says arrived at fulfillment center.  Really hoping I get lucky with these.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1218 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 23:22:10 »
You probably won't be able to see it because this is a shot of the top of the caps, but the 1.25 caps have a slight warp to them. 

Not too bad. About as much as the ones from my R1 set.  I will have to wait until I put them on a board with my R1 caps to see for sure.

More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline adrl

« Reply #1219 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 17:16:56 »
Received mine!

2/4 spacebars were warpped :(

Also, any iso users that don't need their 2.25u shift?

Offline madik

« Reply #1220 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 06:09:27 »
guys what do you mean by "warp" ?

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1221 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 07:05:20 »
guys what do you mean by "warp" ?

Bent.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline nayr

« Reply #1222 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 07:23:51 »
Will there be any replacements offered for the keys that are badly warped?
I know last time SP replaced some of the keys I had because they were horribly spaced.

Offline panrc

« Reply #1223 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 13:01:46 »
Recieved my massdrop order today. Common, Special, Extra OS, Text mods, Text pro, Gamer.
Just waiting on the bonus now. I will have spare keys to trade away like the shift adrl mentioned above etc.

I didn't get a grey iso enter or the UK international keys. Anyone have any of these to trade/sell? (can't post in classifieds yet)
Also I don't want to cut the G, H and B keys to use them on my Tex Yoda, but blanks weren't offered. Any recomendations on where to get suitable keys (blank dsa) to cut so I dont ruin the set?
The built in track point is great but while no kits offer special 'trackpoint keys' its a pain in the ass.

Thanks to everyone involved in making this.

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #1224 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 14:08:29 »
You can buy blank DSA directly from signature plastics

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #1225 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 15:37:16 »
Recieved my massdrop order today. Common, Special, Extra OS, Text mods, Text pro, Gamer.
Just waiting on the bonus now. I will have spare keys to trade away like the shift adrl mentioned above etc.

I didn't get a grey iso enter or the UK international keys. Anyone have any of these to trade/sell? (can't post in classifieds yet)
Also I don't want to cut the G, H and B keys to use them on my Tex Yoda, but blanks weren't offered. Any recomendations on where to get suitable keys (blank dsa) to cut so I dont ruin the set?
The built in track point is great but while no kits offer special 'trackpoint keys' its a pain in the ass.

Did you purchase an ISO enter and it wasn't with your set or did you forget to order one?  Either way Signature Plastics will be the way to go to get blanks.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #1226 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 02:01:32 »
Can you describe this process of using a hair dryer to fix warped keys in case any of the rest of us need to do such a thing?

It's possible that someone has a better method for this because mine involves a lot of trial and error.

Basically you take a hair dryer and point it at the back of the key heating it up until it's almost too hot to touch then gently flex the key in the direction needed. Sometimes you end up tweaking a little too far and have to heat it back up and go the other direction. Other times if you haven't tweaked it enough you'll have to heat it up once or twice more and keep working on it until it sits flush.

If you're working on stabilized keys then throughout the entire process you'll have to wait for the key to cool down and test it to see at what point it starts behaving as expected.

The space bars are the easiest to correct because you can get some serious leverage and use their length to your advantage. The smaller keys like 1.5u and 1.75u are an absolute PITA not only to heat up (burns your fingers way more) but they're so short it's hard to really tweak them that much.

Last time I did this I used a heavy book on a hard flat surface to press the key, then circled it with a hair dryer. Saved my fingers and made sure it was more or less level.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #1227 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 03:05:24 »
Can you describe this process of using a hair dryer to fix warped keys in case any of the rest of us need to do such a thing?

It's possible that someone has a better method for this because mine involves a lot of trial and error.

Basically you take a hair dryer and point it at the back of the key heating it up until it's almost too hot to touch then gently flex the key in the direction needed. Sometimes you end up tweaking a little too far and have to heat it back up and go the other direction. Other times if you haven't tweaked it enough you'll have to heat it up once or twice more and keep working on it until it sits flush.

If you're working on stabilized keys then throughout the entire process you'll have to wait for the key to cool down and test it to see at what point it starts behaving as expected.

The space bars are the easiest to correct because you can get some serious leverage and use their length to your advantage. The smaller keys like 1.5u and 1.75u are an absolute PITA not only to heat up (burns your fingers way more) but they're so short it's hard to really tweak them that much.

Last time I did this I used a heavy book on a hard flat surface to press the key, then circled it with a hair dryer. Saved my fingers and made sure it was more or less level.

Just be careful when doing  it.  I ruined a IMSTO spacebar using this method.  Think I added to much weight.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline yuiop

« Reply #1228 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 12:20:24 »
Just got my R2 sets.
No missing key so that's good.  but I noticed my text modifier set came with a 1 unit FN key instead of a 1.25 unit one  Anyone with the same problem?

Should I contact SP directly for things like this?

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #1229 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 12:37:05 »
Just got my R2 sets.
No missing key so that's good.  but I noticed my text modifier set came with a 1 unit FN key instead of a 1.25 unit one  Anyone with the same problem?

Same problem, the FN key is 1u instead of 1.25u.

... I'm also missing ten keys from one of my International kit and one key was printed inverted (like a mirror).

Not cool.  :-X

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #1230 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 12:54:45 »
Just got my R2 sets.

... I'm also missing ten keys from one of my International kit and one key was printed inverted (like a mirror).

Show Image

Show Image

Sucks about your missing keys but the inversion is actually quite cool. :P

Offline panrc

« Reply #1231 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 13:11:18 »
You can buy blank DSA directly from signature plastics

Did you purchase an ISO enter and it wasn't with your set or did you forget to order one?  Either way Signature Plastics will be the way to go to get blanks.

I just forgot to order one, ordered the bonus blue one but figured I should have got a grey one too now.
I'm looking at blanks on pmk here: http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/products/full-keysets/dsa-blank-keys
They don't appear to list keys in GKK (granite light grey), only GDE (dark). I have emailed them to enquire.

Offline renne

« Reply #1232 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 14:41:48 »
Just got my R2 sets.

Show Image

Show Image

the inverted one looks funny, haha

Offline jeep

« Reply #1233 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 20:34:19 »
I got mine today... I am still looking to trade for:

1 2u Icon Enter (I think just the numpad kit had that)
1 1.5u icon delete(or backspace) key
2 (yes, two) 1.5u Icon FN keys (Horizontal)

Offline Rodgaroon

• Size matters, just ask my wife.
« Reply #1234 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 07:46:58 »
I still waiting on my set, but after reading all these posts this might be the first and last time I purchase anything from signature plastics.
G6v2 (MX Black) | Poker II (MX Brown) | Compact SQ (MX Clears 62g)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1235 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 09:54:30 »
I still waiting on my set, but after reading all these posts this might be the first and last time I purchase anything from signature plastics.
I'm thinking the same thing. Unless sp steps their game up I don't think I'll be joining very many of their group buys anytime soon. Also thin abs kind of sucks on the dcs sets.

I will give it up to Melissa though. She is a trooper. I wonder if she even uses a mech keyboard..

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #1236 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 10:31:55 »
I'm thinking the same thing. Unless sp steps their game up I don't think I'll be joining very many of their group buys anytime soon. Also thin abs kind of sucks on the dcs sets.

I will give it up to Melissa though. She is a trooper. I wonder if she even uses a mech keyboard..
Yeah Signature Plastics seems to still be struggling with PBT; definitely will be holding off on future PBT purchases until they improve quality control.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline frebib

« Reply #1237 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 19:05:03 »

I have both of my gray ISO enters up for sale as I'm getting blue ones if you want to make deal
Das Keyboard 4 [Blues] | Poker 2 [Browns] w/ Granite R2

Offline EpicFlyingBulbz

« Reply #1238 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 08:38:41 »

You can get some blanks in the same colour on PMK, you're welcome ;)

Offline EpicFlyingBulbz

« Reply #1239 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 08:40:50 »
Anyone bought the extra homing set that no longer wants the whole set or doesn't want the non-deepdish F & J keys?

Offline colomb

« Reply #1240 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 08:56:02 »
This was my first group buy and first purchase from signature plastics. As such, I'm probably not as discerning as others with regards to the quality of the key caps, but I really have no complaints. Here they are on a Novatouch. Will take some time later to take better pictures in better light. Need to create my first post for the Post Your Topre Keyboard Thread!

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #1241 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 10:52:46 »
@colomb: Set looks decent quality to me. From the keys I can see, anyway.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1242 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 12:13:15 »
I can see some cruciform moldings on the face of the 2x stabilized keys but it looks good otherwise

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #1243 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:03:30 »
[...]

Show Image

[...]

Here is another key printed in a funny way !

>_<
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:33:10 by Lpwl »

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #1244 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:42:16 »
I think you mean:
<_>

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #1245 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:43:49 »
ahah yes !

Offline frebib

« Reply #1246 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:48:36 »
Has there been any recent news of the bonus sets?
When can we expect shipments and has anyone received notification of shipment yet?

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #1247 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:51:33 »
Matt3o said :

last time they told me "as soon as Granite R2 is fully delivered"

source : Granite Bonus Pack
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:54:41 by Lpwl »

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #1248 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:52:41 »
[...]

Show Image

[...]

Here is another key printed in a funny way !

Show Image

>_<

Both this keys have the same problem for me , weirdly enough the uk one :
> < |`is in the right direction .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline frebib

« Reply #1249 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 13:54:35 »
Matt3o said :

last time they told me "as soon as Granite R2 is fully delivered"

I assume that is referring to delivery to Massdrop from SP, not delivery from Massdrop.
Useful to know but not all that insightful.
Thanks