Author Topic: [IC]GMK Triumph Adler [LIVE!!!!]  (Read 176024 times)

Offline intelli78

i'm not very familiar with R5 bottomrow, how well will it fit onto a winkeyless mx-mini board?

colored spacebar will be nice to have of course, but i understand it's just an afterthought

On an MX mini you're golden. The entire bottom row will be R5 so you won't notice any difference in profile height (except spacebar, but that's OG Cherry, there is no such thing as R5 spacebar and there never was).
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Heliosphere

The teal will look like the OG pics in the OP. Nevar trust GMK renders.

I expect, contrast-wise at least, it will be more like the original render with blue letters:
Show Image

The dream is almost real! This is currently my most anticipated set. Whether or not we make it to the end of the race, I'll have your back.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
Although I do wish they would stop using their Massdrop tape :( It's like a red flag for customs to say "hey, pick me out of the pile!"

Customs is a really good point. Getting it trough Massdrop normally means +30-40$ for international orders just because they will declare the actual price on the box :(

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
So, have you contacted the owners of the TA keybaords / that unknown teal model w/ circular F-row?

Edit: this one
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline billnye

• ability man
10/10 will buy Intelli.

I wish you the best of luck with this, and if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know! :)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
The only reason I see to not do the keycap trays is it might lead to a large increase to the cost of shipping to the end user, since you would then be shipping something the size of a keyboard basically.

The size of a keyboard, but much lighter. I've never shipped a package like that, not exactly sure what it would run. From what I can gather from USPS.com it would likely be $10ish for standard (not priority) shipping, which is not terrible-- though the bagged sets could likely go Priority at about 60% of the cost.

As someone who lives in Canada, I laugh that you guys will complain about $10 shipping.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x infinity
Cannot stress this enough :))

I can see this working, possibly. With the right marketing.

Also, see if you can get some vendors (4?) to commit to ordering 50 sets. :D

See, now you are thinking right.

GH-250
DT-50
Korea-100
China-50
Reddit-50

Total = 500, no need for any vendors. And add other countries, manipulate the numbers a bit... still no real need. And if we can get it down to a $99.99 price point? at 500. Totally done deal.

$99.99 at 1,000... I'm much more skeptical about that, it's just SO MANY but... even that I would not rule out completely.

I think you're underestimating the Chinese keyboard community. They pay out the ass for GMK sets due to currency conversions & s/h. At $99.99, it'll be a ridiculously cheap price point.

Hosting a GB w/ PP at such large orders would also be risky. Just one impatient person could kill the whole GB. As Massdrop already has a good relation w/ PP + their funds holding system in place, it would be a better idea to go this route.

Only request for int'l orders is to never ship light items via priority flat rate. Finding a proper sized box (might have to be custom produced) will always be cheaper.

Lower purchase price also = lower customs duties we (may) have to pay. Although I do wish they would stop using their Massdrop tape :( It's like a red flag for customs to say "hey, pick me out of the pile!"

I don't think that many people know what Massdrop is. Look at amazon though, they always use their special tape , and they are huge. I am surprised we don't hear more stories about amazon packages getting stolen off porches all the time.

I do know that nike for one NEVER ships out stuff with any branding. Especially their custom made to order nikeID shoes. They always come in the plainest brown boxes.

Offline intelli78

So, have you contacted the owners of the TA keybaords / that unknown teal model w/ circular F-row?

No, holding out for the real deal if possible. The teal appears the same hue but would rather get a G80 cap if we can. Better yet, somebody will seize the chance to sell me the OG board :p

Thoughts on the blue legends? We're a bit constrained due to GMK's unpredictable renders but now that I look back on the first render, I'm actually thinking it could be a better choice.

Offline intelli78

Although I do wish they would stop using their Massdrop tape :( It's like a red flag for customs to say "hey, pick me out of the pile!"

Customs is a really good point. Getting it trough Massdrop normally means +30-40$ for international orders just because they will declare the actual price on the box :(

If I ran the GB I am not sure I'd be willing to fake the values. Whether the law is enforced is one matter, but that's a pretty serious crime (by the textbook, that is) and it's a lot of money at stake.

10/10 will buy Intelli.

I wish you the best of luck with this, and if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know! :)

Thx BRO  :thumb:

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l

No, holding out for the real deal if possible. The teal appears the same hue but would rather get a G80 cap if we can. Better yet, somebody will seize the chance to sell me the OG board :p

Thoughts on the blue legends? We're a bit constrained due to GMK's unpredictable renders but now that I look back on the first render, I'm actually thinking it could be a better choice.

The blue legends look like they match the original picture the best, so I like them.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Either go with the teal legends, or nothing at all.
I mean... I don't want to fork over an extra $60 or whatever for blue on grey alphas which are generic as hell.

plus: There are possibly other decent options if I wanted blue on grey.... no idea though
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline intelli78

This was a Photoshop I did of the original render - changed the blue to teal manually. This, I thought looked pretty good and is what convinced me to change over to the teal.

But as we can see, the contrast turned out to be much lower on the official render.

to what degree this will translate to IRL... hard to say. But things we know for a fact: 1) blue will have higher contrast than teal just by the properties of color alone, regardless of all other factors, and 2) the originals are more blue than teal.

Offline Heliosphere

Personally I don't mind the blue, but if we can match the dark teal of the original TA it might work better than blue. Also a good point was made on customs for international orders with MD, do you think it might be better for international buyers if we did traditional buy?

Offline TBone

I would go in on both Blue and Teal Alpha's. I think Blue look closer to old boards, but don't we want the original?

And OG Group Buy all the way.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
 :eek:

So the price premium turned out to be basically nothing?

Massdrop all the way! Wider audience! More sets! More chance to meet MOQ!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline intelli78

:eek:

So the price premium turned out to be basically nothing?

Massdrop all the way! Wider audience! More sets! More chance to meet MOQ!

Not sure what it is, because I don't know what the price would look like for standard colors @ 500 orders. Could be fairly hefty like $10-20 for all I know. But the increased MOQ basically made it irrelevant.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Not sure what it is, because I don't know what the price would look like for standard colors @ 500 orders. Could be fairly hefty like $10-20 for all I know. But the increased MOQ basically more than washed it out.
It's like 75EUR at 400 (same at 500).

I was expecting a HEFTY price premium.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Heliosphere

This was a Photoshop I did of the original render - changed the blue to teal manually. This, I thought looked pretty good and is what convinced me to change over to the teal.

Show Image

But as we can see, the contrast turned out to be much lower on the official render.

to what degree this will translate to IRL... hard to say. But things we know for a fact: 1) blue will have higher contrast than teal just by the properties of color alone, regardless of all other factors, and 2) the originals are more blue than teal.

You got the shade pretty well there, and I like it. I agree the contrast is not as great as with blue... but it seems pretty faithful to the original. Maybe if you darkened it a bit more?

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Show Image

I like this render over the others.  The official render does look pretty light, unfortunately.  However, going with blue isn't really my cup of tea, either.  This seems like the perfect compromise to me.  I'd probably still go with the teal legends even if they look a bit light.  It's never been done before and something about the blue legends just really doesn't appeal to me.

Offline whentheclouds

On an MX mini you're golden. The entire bottom row will be R5 so you won't notice any difference in profile height (except spacebar, but that's OG Cherry, there is no such thing as R5 spacebar and there never was).
thanks, but i haven't yet understood why R5 is preferable to R4, if at all. does the extra height translate into better usability?

about the legends, i still think blue is the way to go. but a larger portion want teal, and you just have to compromise when it comes down to ensuring the overall success of the buy. i hope some people do rethink their stance though, considering how dull teal legends look on the (admitted unreliable) render

Offline intelli78

Show Image

I like this render over the others.  The official render does look pretty light, unfortunately.  However, going with blue isn't really my cup of tea, either.  This seems like the perfect compromise to me.  I'd probably still go with the teal legends even if they look a bit light.  It's never been done before and something about the blue legends just really doesn't appeal to me.

What you have to keep in mind is that the render doesn't really predict IRL results. GMK could darken the render but in the end they're just going to use the color of the sample we send them, regardless of how light or dark the render is. The question is whether the contrast will be high enough IRL. To that extent I certainly *hope* the Photoshopped render is more predictive.

Offline intelli78

Not sure what it is, because I don't know what the price would look like for standard colors @ 500 orders. Could be fairly hefty like $10-20 for all I know. But the increased MOQ basically more than washed it out.
It's like 75EUR at 400 (same at 500).

I was expecting a HEFTY price premium.
Same. Like I said earlier, all the pieces needed for this difficult GB to succeed have really fallen into place. Despite naysaying, success is definitely within our reach. No question.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
What you have to keep in mind is that the render doesn't really predict IRL results. GMK could darken the render but in the end they're just going to use the color of the sample we send them, regardless of how light or dark the render is. The question is whether the contrast will be high enough IRL. To that extent I certainly *hope* the Photoshopped render is more predictive.

Yeah, I'm aware of the issues with the render.  I'm just willing to take the risk with the teal and fingers crossed, the contrast will be high enough.  We're already getting a custom color...I'd just rather go all in. 

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.

Yeah, I'm aware of the issues with the render.  I'm just willing to take the risk with the teal and fingers crossed, the contrast will be high enough.  We're already getting a custom color...I'd just rather go all in. 
+1 for all in. No point in just ordering custom colour for the mods.

"Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Heliosphere

I guess you'll make the judgement once you get a TA keycap. I definitely prefer dark teal, but if it turns out the reference keycap is too light then maybe we'll simply have to go with blue.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
When do you think this will go live?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
i suggest 1, then 3, then 2.  Teal on grey alphas.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
I'm still sticking with blue legends being my favorite.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline intelli78

Sounds like most people are OK with Massdrop doing fulfillment-- that's great, works for me, and I'll get in touch with them.

Also sounds like teal legends are indeed preferred if the contrast is high enough-- on this, what I'll try to do is have GMK come up with some pre-production samples before doing the entire run, so we can actually see the final product for ourselves and determine if the teal will work. I think it's the best way to go as long as it's contrasty enough (though I do like the blue too!)

Hard to say at this point but could be in Feb. I don't think I'm really going to try to coordinate it around other GMK buys, because there are just too many. It would just get pushed back forever. If we do go the Massdrop route, then it should lessen the impact of that, since it'll recruit so many buyers from outside GH.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Sounds like most people are OK with Massdrop doing fulfillment-- that's great, works for me, and I'll get in touch with them.

Also sounds like teal legends are indeed preferred if the contrast is high enough-- on this, what I'll try to do is have GMK come up with some pre-production samples before doing the entire run, so we can actually see the final product for ourselves and determine if the teal will work. I think it's the best way to go as long as it's contrasty enough (though I do like the blue too!)

If they charge for the sample I'd be willing to kick in money to fund it.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline intelli78

Thanks, that would be pretty obnoxious of them though, I don't see it happening and I would definitely resist  :p

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Either way, I'm stoked to see this set.  :thumb:

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
It's been a while since I've checked the progress of this, but wow, that mockup looks amazing. I'm excited since this is what I originally thought Feng's Teal GB was going to be.

Offline whentheclouds

to be honest, MD is my least preferred method out of the listed options. not quite impressed with the results of some of their previous drops (both keyboard and non-keyboard related), add to the fact that they've only mostly distributed budget products that appeal to a specific target audience, the TA buy will lose some of its exclusivity coming from there. kinda stupid but hey, i can't help the thought. not that i'll give a damn when the buy becomes a reality - and that's the most important thing  :thumb:

Offline Den441

Hard to say at this point but could be in Feb. I don't think I'm really going to try to coordinate it around other GMK buys, because there are just too many. It would just get pushed back forever. If we do go the Massdrop route, then it should lessen the impact of that, since it'll recruit so many buyers from outside GH.

I agree with the MD call. I think this is a great way to introduce their customer base to the highest tier of caps. Are there going to be some people on there saying that it is too expensive and they'll never pay that much for caps? Of course. Hell, I'm sure some ppl here on GH think that. But keyboards are their second biggest community behind audiophiles. There will be enthusiasts there who will be able to appreciate the significance of this set.  I recommend you go ahead and start an interest check on there if you haven't already as you were the one who started this and deserve the credit all the way through. I'm sure the buyer there you talk to will tell you to do the same thing. There is still a chance they could decline this one, but if you can prove that there is interest in their community, the buyer will have more data to back up his decision to fulfill this Group buy. Massdrop is all about their community "developing" products (like the infinity keyboard.) Lastly, There has to room in there for them to make money, but given the Quantity, I'm pretty sure they can, so I'm not too worried about that.

to be honest, MD is my least preferred method out of the listed options. not quite impressed with the results of some of their previous drops (both keyboard and non-keyboard related), add to the fact that they've only mostly distributed budget products that appeal to a specific target audience, the TA buy will lose some of its exclusivity coming from there. kinda stupid but hey, i can't help the thought. not that i'll give a damn when the buy becomes a reality - and that's the most important thing  :thumb:

I'm not sure what you mean by exclusivity. If the 500 sets were sold here on GH, would that really make it more exclusive? The set would still end up in the hands of true enthusiasts who are willing to shell out that kind of money for caps. I do agree that they need to improve their order fulfillment issues. I just think MD would be the only way to make this happen in a reasonable amount of time.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder

Is exclusivity something that we really want to have for this kind of group buy?
The mindset of wanting to keep this from those who aren't "enthusiasts" seems a bit silly to me and I would love it anyone could get in on this if they wanted.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l

Is exclusivity something that we really want to have for this kind of group buy?
The mindset of wanting to keep this from those who aren't "enthusiasts" seems a bit silly to me and I would love it anyone could get in on this if they wanted.

Exactly...exclusivity+GMK does not compute...especially if you even want to get into the ballpark of the MOQ.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
That mockup looks amazing. Can't wait for this GB to be a reality.  :eek:

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
+1 the more sets sold the better! I know MD has had some issues with other buys but I have to agree they seem like the best option for wide exposure, and if they are being delivered a complete set from GMK (maybe even in a tray?) it would be far less complicated for them and less likely that problems arise. Impressive work moving this forward intelli78! :thumb:
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline TBone

I just wanted to say that if this goes through MD, having the trays is really a necessity for me. Not knowing personally who will package, I would need GMK to do it instead of MD.

Offline whentheclouds

like i said, it's a really dumb thought to even entertain. i just can't help it :shrug:

Offline honoka

Using MD would increase the cost for this by about 25% for people outside of the US. (price+shipping)x1.25 = hella lot

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Using MD would increase the cost for this by about 25% for people outside of the US. (price+shipping)x1.25 = hella lot

Proxy it then.

Offline intelli78

Proxy it then.

Yes, best solution would be to have people in the USA make bulk orders and forward the packages. That way, they can be marked with whatever value you prefer.

I've contacted Massdrop and assuming no show-stoppers, will be pursuing that option first.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Wow, I had somehow overlooked this thread. I love this colorway and would be down for a set regardless of vendor. I would prefer to keep MD out of it if possible but this colorway is just so gorgeous it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline blighty

Proxy it then.

Yes, best solution would be to have people in the USA make bulk orders and forward the packages. That way, they can be marked with whatever value you prefer.

I've contacted Massdrop and assuming no show-stoppers, will be pursuing that option first.

As long as the buy goes through, that's the important part.  Here's to hoping someone buys multiple orders so I can buy one of their extra sets.  :)
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline renne

vote for No.3
it is the easiest way to make the set real. and I'd like to pay more since you are taking the risk. the one takes the risk should get some profit.

Offline FunkMasterJ

Wow I was wondering the other day why no one has tried to make this set now. Im so glad theres an effort being made

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
I would be fine with any platform for running this group buy, but Massdrop is unpreferable. As much as I like the platform, I don't know if this will appeal to the their usual customer base, and I heard all the horror stories of caps missing during the Granite R2.

But if GMK pre sorts them it won't be so bad.

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
I vote you take your dong out and make sweet love to GMK's CEO.
Zealio Master Race

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
I vote you take your dong out and make sweet love to GMK's CEO.

Is there like a sign up sheet for this?