Author Topic: Topre PBT Spacebar (SECOND RUN!)  (Read 226822 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: Topre PBT Spacebar "Purchase Intent" Form
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 13:46:07 »
I should order a few to help ya'll out but I'm worried about the resale. I have no interest in Topre but I think this is a cool project.

Maybe we can do this:

Anyone want to fill a swimming pool [hot tub] with Alps keycaps [Topre spacebars] with me?  :))

:p
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #251 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 13:50:56 »
Maybe we can do this:

Anyone want to fill a swimming pool [hot tub] with Alps keycaps [Topre spacebars] with me?  :))

I would never say that. I hate hot tubs :(.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #252 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 13:56:44 »
Maybe we can do this:

We'll make it purple.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #253 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 13:57:04 »
Maybe we can do this:

And think of the warping!!   :eek:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #254 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 15:02:41 »
Maybe we can do this:

Okay, large cold kiddie pool...

Offline ctbear

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 16:47:31 »
I am interested in at least 2 space bars. Do I fill in the 'purchase intent' form in OP?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #256 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 16:50:42 »
I am interested in at least 2 space bars. Do I fill in the 'purchase intent' form in OP?

Correct
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline ctbear

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 17:02:00 »

Correct

Thanks, filled. Hope this happens!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #258 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:27:44 »
So far, no luck.

They all turned down. I'm still waiting reply from a couple of stores. I'll keep you posted.
I was waiting till you contacted all the vendors, but maybe you could contact widebasket on ebay. He sells a bunch of Topre caps and may pick up a few hundred.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #259 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 08:00:10 »
We are at 47%

Code: [Select]
    [Medium gray] => 50
    [Sky Blue/Light Blue] => 45
    [Red] => 44
    [Blue] => 35
    [Purple] => 35
    [Mint/Light Green] => 33
    [Orange] => 29
    [Green] => 27
    [Pink] => 26
    [Lavender] => 22
    [Beige] => 15
    [Yellow] => 12
    [Magenta] => 11
    [Brown] => 4

I'm still waiting for a reply from EK.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #260 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 10:40:08 »
So far, no luck.

They all turned down. I'm still waiting reply from a couple of stores. I'll keep you posted.
I was waiting till you contacted all the vendors, but maybe you could contact widebasket on ebay. He sells a bunch of Topre caps and may pick up a few hundred.

Did you try this 'widebasket' fellow, Matt3o?

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 12:15:53 »
We are at 47%

[Medium gray] => 50
    [Sky Blue/Light Blue] => 45
    [Red] => 44
    [Blue] => 35
    [Purple] => 35
    [Mint/Light Green] => 33
    [Orange] => 29
    [Green] => 27
    [Pink] => 26
    [Lavender] => 22
    [Beige] => 15
    [Yellow] => 12
    [Magenta] => 11
    [Brown] => 4

I'm still waiting for a reply from EK.

It would be such a natural pick up from EK. They already carry so manu Topre accessories.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 12:27:33 »
It would be such a natural pick up from EK. They already carry so manu Topre accessories.

Totally agree, of all places I would think EK would be one of the most likely. I thought I read somewhere that they are the exclusive vendor in North America for Realforce and HHKB boards?

Though it may not be that straight forward. Who knows how many replacement ABS spacebars they sell, it might be a fairly lucrative item for them and selling people PBT spacebars might mean less people returning to buy more since they don't shine up nearly as fast.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #263 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 13:09:44 »

Totally agree, of all places I would think EK would be one of the most likely. I thought I read somewhere that they are the exclusive vendor in North America for Realforce and HHKB boards?

at the moment...this is true...but it may not be the case forever...

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #264 on: Wed, 07 January 2015, 15:35:44 »

Hmmm... can this be interpreted as MK working to distribute more Topre boards!?
null

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #265 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 17:04:20 »

I'm sure they'd want to, but that doesn't mean they actually can or will.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 23:56:02 »

I'm sure they'd want to, but that doesn't mean they actually can or will.

Yep. Which is why I asked if MK.com was working on doing so instead of asking if they were going to be doing so.

Looking at the FC660C, EK has indefinitely ceased stocking the board. If they stopped distributing the FC660C due to contractual reasons, there is a chance that this might be because their distribution agreement with Leopold expired. Further, Leopold is a distributor of Realforce boards. If MK were to somehow manage to close a distribution agreement with Leopold, it could possibly mean another distribution channel for Realforce boards into the US as well as the return of the FC660C to the US marketplace.

Of course, if EK simply lost interest in the FC660C or if Leopold is simply refusing to supply EK with FC660Cs to sell, then my considerations are moot.

Nonetheless, I do wish Topre boards were more available in the US. It was actually cheaper for me to buy an HHKB Type-S directly from PFU and get it shipped to the US than it would have cost me to buy a non-Type-S from EK (even while it was on sale).

On a side note, MK did pick up the Type Heaven after EK dropped it - which is why I was wondering if MK was working on getting more Topre flavors.
null

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #267 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 01:39:39 »
at this point I'd say that retailers are not interested in this venture. The MOQ scares the hell out of them and they are not willing to get even 1000 pieces because they believe it's too much of a niche market.

There's only one entity that seems still interested: MassDrop. I must say that BSP is not the easiest to talk with, keyboards are not their core business and we you talk with them it's like they are doing you a favor. Anyway in a couple of days I should know if this project has still a future.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #268 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 01:43:28 »
at this point I'd say that retailers are not interested in this venture. The MOQ scares the hell out of them and they are not willing to get even 1000 pieces because they believe it's too much of a niche market.

There's only one entity that seems still interested: MassDrop. I must say that BSP is not the easiest to talk with, keyboards are not their core business and we you talk with them it's like they are doing you a favor. Anyway in a couple of days I should know if this project has still a future.

Even if it doesn't go through, thanks again for taking the time out to try.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #269 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:39:48 »

The one thing BSP has going for them is thick PBT in any color...that will be helpful going forward, although they can't dyesub  :-X

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #270 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:42:19 »

BSP even having spacebar molds is news to me..
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 11:45:32 »

+1

You're a saint for taking on an endeavour as monumental as this. Thanks for all your hard work, Matt3o!

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #272 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 15:36:55 »

+1

thanks a ton for the effort Matt3o : )
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 15:58:45 »

+1

thanks a ton for the effort Matt3o : )

^ I'm with these guys...thanks Matt3o.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #274 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 18:14:18 »

Thanks for doing this Matt3o! This is a monumental task and hopefully Massdrop comes through, but the fact that you even attempted this is awesome.  :thumb:

Offline redskull

« Reply #275 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 20:44:46 »
how about chinese manufacturers? are they capable of making a topre spacebar? and at maybe a lower+cheaper MOQ?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #276 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 02:49:35 »
yes we are talking with alternative manufacturers!

It's not over yet!

I'll keep the "purchase intent" open another week!

there's still hope! keep ordering!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #277 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 04:34:33 »
yes we are talking with alternative manufacturers!

It's not over yet!

I'll keep the "purchase intent" open another week!

there's still hope! keep ordering!

Thanks Matt we desperately NEED this above all else.  Not enough love for any quality PBT space-bars these days and it has to happen soon. 

Anyone NOT wanting a PBT spacer better lock themselves in their safe-room soon because someone here shall visit you in the dead of night........ it won't be pretty at all  ;) .

Offline nukec

• that rug really tied the room together
« Reply #278 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 08:41:42 »
EliteKeyboards should pick this up, they are always prepared. And definitelly they could sell the rest on their website. People are just not informed, is this running on desktority?
HHKB Pro2, Poker2 Blue, KBPV60 Brown, DuckyShine3 Brown

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #279 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 09:58:36 »
Are Topre keyboards a niche market? Well, truth being told any mechanical keyboard type is within a niche market. But, these manufacturers believe Topre keyboards are within a niche market in the niche market of mechanicals?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #280 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 10:26:51 »
"small" retailers are not clearly interested, but worry not, I have one last ace in the sleeve.

I hope everything will be finalized by the end of next week.

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #281 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 04:43:01 »
"small" retailers are not clearly interested, but worry not, I have one last ace in the sleeve.

Praying for good news
|
HHKB Pro 2 Black (Blank) | HHKB Pro 2 White (Blank)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #282 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:46:04 »

We are all rooting for you Matt3o! Hopefully this all works out!

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #283 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 12:51:40 »
Nevermind!  no clue how to do this. 

Thanks Matt3o!
Hi :)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #284 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 13:00:02 »
Are Topre keyboards a niche market? Well, truth being told any mechanical keyboard type is within a niche market. But, these manufacturers believe Topre keyboards are within a niche market in the niche market of mechanicals?

If they are even mechanical. I am not wanting to begin that debate, but there are those who love their Topres unto the death which would have something to say about them being referred to as a mechanical keyboard. AFAIK they feature 'capacitance' switches with individual rubber membranes. Niche is definitely applicable to this whole situation, however.

Disclaimer: The above was merely an attempt by a non-user to explain a long held position by Topre users and by no means intended to defame or otherwise defraud any user of Topre Corporation keyboards.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #285 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 04:03:51 »
We are at 50% !

Colors:

[Medium gray] => 52
    [Sky Blue/Light Blue] => 51
    [Red] => 49
    [Mint/Light Green] => 36
    [Blue] => 35
    [Purple] => 35
    [Orange] => 30
    [Green] => 28
    [Pink] => 27
    [Lavender] => 23
    [Yellow] => 15
    [Beige] => 15
    [Magenta] => 12
    [Brown] => 4

As I said earlier, this week will be decisive for the future of this buy. I'll keep you posted!

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #286 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 05:53:53 »
We are at 50% !

Colors:

[Medium gray] => 52
    [Sky Blue/Light Blue] => 51
    [Red] => 49
    [Mint/Light Green] => 36
    [Blue] => 35
    [Purple] => 35
    [Orange] => 30
    [Green] => 28
    [Pink] => 27
    [Lavender] => 23
    [Yellow] => 15
    [Beige] => 15
    [Magenta] => 12
    [Brown] => 4

As I said earlier, this week will be decisive for the future of this buy. I'll keep you posted!

Mah wallet is ready to go. :D
|
HHKB Pro 2 Black (Blank) | HHKB Pro 2 White (Blank)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #287 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 11:07:44 »
upped from 4 to 8. i know it barerly makes a difference, but unfortunately i'm not rich :D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #288 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 14:00:56 »
I know its not much but I resubmitted my order with a color pack added in case I ever end up with an Anniversary Edition Realforce. If/When this goes through I'm sure my wife will be thrilled about me dropping $100 on just spacebars  :))

- 4 black
- 2 white
- 1 Color pack (Medium Gray, Light Blue, Orange)

How close are we expecting the Light Blue to match the mods of the AE Realforce boards? In the same ballpark on somewhere else totally? I know the Medium Gray is supposed to be close to the color of the AE alphas but it crossed my mind that the it might look cool with a blue spacebar instead of gray.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #289 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 14:28:59 »
Just wondering, which community can be attributed to the most recent jump from 41% to 50%??

My guess is reddit but I can't be too sure. Every time this Purchase Intent form is posted to reddit, a bunch of people have signed up. if this is the case, I'm guessing meeting the goal wouldn't be impossible if we extended the deadline for a few more weeks and ensured the post stayed up on reddit by reporting it every day (there might have been a lack of participation from reddit but to be fair, the form has only been visible for no more than 4 days)
null

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #290 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 17:12:38 »
it took like 3 weeks to go from 40 to 50% it would take another 6 months to meet the goal our own and at that point many would have forgotten about their order or changed their minds.

regarding colors, the light blue is the blue PFU used for the recent "Color Key Top Set" ( PD-KB400KT01 ).

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #291 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 17:42:22 »
it took like 3 weeks to go from 40 to 50% it would take another 6 months to meet the goal our own and at that point many would have forgotten about their order or changed their minds.

regarding colors, the light blue is the blue PFU used for the recent "Color Key Top Set" ( PD-KB400KT01 ).

Thanks for the info! From quickly glancing at some pictures of the two colors side by side it looks like that shade of blue is noticably lighter than the AE mods. Its like a powdery blue that almost makes the AE mods look like a dirty blue.

Offline sorijealut

• steam
« Reply #292 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 18:49:38 »
Just wondering, which community can be attributed to the most recent jump from 41% to 50%??

My guess is reddit but I can't be too sure. Every time this Purchase Intent form is posted to reddit, a bunch of people have signed up. if this is the case, I'm guessing meeting the goal wouldn't be impossible if we extended the deadline for a few more weeks and ensured the post stayed up on reddit by reporting it every day (there might have been a lack of participation from reddit but to be fair, the form has only been visible for no more than 4 days)

I only posted on reddit twice now, once 1/4, and then on 1/10. I saw about 3%-4% jumps each time.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #293 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 21:07:22 »
Damn it all. I'll be so disappointed if this doesn't go through. Surely everyone who cares enough about keyboards to get a Topre board (and who isn't a business customer, obviously) also cares enough to want a PBT spacebar??
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #294 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 22:20:38 »

I only posted on reddit twice now, once 1/4, and then on 1/10. I saw about 3%-4% jumps each time.
If only Ripster would have the maturity to set aside his feud with GH and sticky the form to the sub, then we probbly would be MUCH closer to the goal...

Since that won't hapoen, it might be better if we just post it every couple of days
null

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #295 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 23:10:30 »

If only Ripster would have the maturity to set aside his feud with GH and sticky the form to the sub, then we probbly would be MUCH closer to the goal...

Since that won't hapoen, it might be better if we just post it every couple of days
How dare you mention Voldemort's name, Potter! (please know I'm joking)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #296 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 01:32:10 »

Thanks for the info! From quickly glancing at some pictures of the two colors side by side it looks like that shade of blue is noticably lighter than the AE mods. Its like a powdery blue that almost makes the AE mods look like a dirty blue.

I'm not sure, but that seems lavender. I'm talking about this

Offline breaker9691

« Reply #297 on: Fri, 16 January 2015, 13:40:51 »
pre-order moahahaha
i think this will be good, hope this handsome space will arrival soon

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #298 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 03:10:36 »
Status Update

All retailers backed off.

MassDrop is still willing to do it if we can find a cheaper manufacturer that we might have found. We are sending a sample spacebar to the new manufacturer that will make a quotation. This might require some time, I guess at least 2 more weeks. I hate this situation as much as you do, but honestly 1 month ago I had a quote from the manufacturers and 3 retailers fighting for the exclusive...

Fortunately I haven't asked anyone money yet.

-----------
side note

Admittedly I'm a bit fed up of manufacturers saying that they can do it, but they actually can't... of sending emails and receiving replies after weeks... of retailers super excited wanting to participate at all costs and then backing off... I believe the next time I will be much more cautious when evaluating the feasibility of a project.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #299 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 03:19:54 »
Thanks for all of your work in this Matt3o. We all appreciate it, and hopefully something can be made of this! Massdrop seems like a good route to go, as it will reach a far bigger audience then we can manage. I am hopeful that we can find a cheaper manufacturer.  :)