Author Topic: [IC] GMK 'Miami Nights'  (Read 55926 times)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
Re: [IC] GMK 'Miami Nights'
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 16:35:00 »
One more thing, it is very important to advertise the IC outside GH; for example, r/MK and DT are natural venues to do it. I just made a quick search at GH, and I found no thread on this set.

woah m8 sick tips for Ivans first GB! :)

It is obvious of course, however, there is no reference on the GB at DT yet, that's all. We all know very well that Ivan is an expert GB leader that pioneered GMK buy, and a deep thinker; therefore, if the comment is un-needed HE can just dismiss it; in the other hand the sarcasm is certainly un-neccesary.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 20:03:10 »
my 2c:

the color of the F5-F8 legends should be cyan instead of magenta (or whatever we're calling the legend colors)

also is this double shot or dye sublimated?
As i know, only PBT could be sublimated, the GMK's are ABS, and couldn't be sublimated

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 20:06:43 »
also is this double shot or dye sublimated?
As i know, only PBT could be sublimated, the GMK's are ABS, and couldn't be sublimated

These are double shot. You can sublimate ABS but GMK does doubleshots. And you can doubleshot PBT, but apparently the shrinkage problems make it a PITA.

More
Here are my 2 cents for this set:

What I like:

I really like your approach to bring Miami flavor to a classic black set. I think it looks more elegant than the flashy variant with pink/teal caps.
This might be a color scheme many people could like because it's not too extreme.

I like the spanish sideprinted legends because they add a little extra flavor to the keys.

Features of the most successful GMK GBs:

Hyperfuse and TA have 600+ orders each which shows that they must be doing something right. In my opinion the formula for a GMK GB is to keep it simple and standard.

These sets had:

- standard US ANSI legends with Text + Icon modifiers
- symmetry option for 60% boards
- standard Cherry two tone color scheme with alternating F-Keys etc.
- B-B-C-D-E-E profile (except some keys for TA)

Non-standard aspects of your set:

I respect your wish to produce something new that hasn't been done before, but people will only be willing to make like 1-2 compromises.

In my opinion the following points are a few too many to make 250 people commit to ordering:

- mix of profiles for R0/R5
- text only legends
- inconsistencies concerning the mix of Spanish/US legends (spanish legends on the numpad although all the other Mods have US legends on top, etc.)
- F-keys don't have alternating legend colors
- small details like Ins/Del instead of Insert/Delete, etc.
- the hidious numpad enter key

Conclusion:

Most people have a limited keyboard budget and can not participate in every GB. If you have limited funds you will only buy sets that match your preferences 99%. The current iteration of this set gives people too many reasons NOT to save money for it! Why make compromises if one could just join the GMK GBs that do things more standard like Hyperfuse, TA or the upcoming classic beige set?

I will order one of everything like I do in all your GMK GBs, but am afraid this set will face the same destiny as the 85/15 set. After the first wave of orders it will stagnate between 100-150 orders...

Suggestion:

I think to make this GB successful you have to concentrate on 1-2 unique features that deviate from the norm and keep the rest standard.

I am not aware of any recent GMK GB that had text only legends so I think this should be the main novelty feature of this set. Add the spanish sideprinted legends for extra flavor and you have a beautiful set!

If you want to produce different profiles you should save that for another set and also offer the B-B-C-D-E-E keys so people can make a choice of their own.

I completely agree with LechnerDE. It's hard to argue with 600 orders. I know it's fun to try and do something unique and you've got a master plan Ivan but it seems like even a gimme GB like 85|15 failed because the decision making was very heavy handed on your end.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 20:55:51 »
The best thing about this set is the r0 profile, I'll buy it on that merit alone.  That's because it's amazing on a 75% board.  Gripes that are a tad minus but not dealbreaker:  Don't get the spanish legends at all, think that will make more people go away than anything else.  Lastly, the style of the legends from the dolch buy is simply the best(apart from the numpad from that set, numpad with the arrows showing and shift functions are way cooler.) , not really thrilled about the "enter", "shift" legends and such.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline kekstee

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 11:37:18 »
You really optimised the GMK GBs to perfection Ivan. I love the selection of additional keys (HHKB, 1800, WKL, ISO...) and the ISO frontprint.

I just hope you don't hinge every future endeavour on such specialities. Miami colourway (although interesting on black), spanish, the key profile as well as some of the regular legends seem to be quite a stretch again.
Given the ungodly price of GMK sets I can see people opting for... safer alternatives. Still, good luck, but I can't guarantee I feel like spending whatever it will cost on this :/

Offline avtar

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 12:03:11 »
^ This. I would have jumped onboard if the colour matched the Dolch modifiers. Oh well, onwards and upwards.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 14:42:59 »
This set looks really nice.  I probably won't be buying this as I don't own a board with cherry switches (yet).  The scheme definitely gives off a "Miami Nights" vibe.  First thing it reminded me of is GTA Vice City, and that is a good thing.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 14:46:06 »
So many amazing GMK sets, just going to need some more boards to place them on.  Count me in, whether the wallet likes it or not.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 20:07:30 »
Since the colors are being brought up by more than me, particularly with the mod pack, is there any way N9 can be considered over CR? 

I did these for Bil's buy and they should be color accurate if a little funky looking.

Black (CR) with AE (Green), UN33656 (Magenta), UN6037 (Cyan), CV (Yellow), and 2M (Light Grey) legends:

More

Dolch Grey (N9) with AE (Green), UN33656 (Magenta), UN6037 (Cyan), CV (Yellow), and 2M (Light Grey) legends:

More

Personally, I think the Dark Grey color looks better than black.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 21:41:35 »
+1 for black, it is just too classic to pass it.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:12:02 »
So simple, all black with coloured text, could be an INSTANT Classic.  Another brilliant GMK set by our illustrious leader Ivan  :thumb: .

Please make this happen soon.........

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:13:20 »
Black is too dark, N9 is better.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:14:26 »

+ all of the numbers.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:14:54 »
Since the colors are being brought up by more than me, particularly with the mod pack, is there any way N9 can be considered over CR? 

I did these for Bil's buy and they should be color accurate if a little funky looking.

Black (CR) with AE (Green), UN33656 (Magenta), UN6037 (Cyan), CV (Yellow), and 2M (Light Grey) legends:

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Dolch Grey (N9) with AE (Green), UN33656 (Magenta), UN6037 (Cyan), CV (Yellow), and 2M (Light Grey) legends:

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Personally, I think the Dark Grey color looks better than black.
+1 to this.

Dark Grey looks too good.

(eg: the dark grey rf87u caps look so phenomenal!)
null

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:43:49 »

Your just discussing changing the base color right? (mockups had me slightly confused first xD)
It's honestly quite a tuff question and I can see how people prefer something lighter then full black.

However looking at the mockups it seems like black makes the color of legends pop quite a bit more
which are like the main focus of the set, so I guess I would slightly lean towards black honestly...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 22:51:58 »
Check out the Cyan on N9 from the Dolch set.  It really pops.  I have some GMK color caps in front of me and the black is just too dark, IMO.  It makes it too harsh.  The grey mellows it out a little and gives you a really high contrast color with a less straining backdrop.

This is crappy, but it gives a better idea of cyan on N9

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 23:19:17 »
I like it, where do I sign?
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 23:23:59 »
I'm gonna agree with Nubbs, I think that N9 would look better than black.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 23:59:10 »

Your just discussing changing the base color right? (mockups had me slightly confused first xD)
It's honestly quite a tuff question and I can see how people prefer something lighter then full black.

However looking at the mockups it seems like black makes the color of legends pop quite a bit more
which are like the main focus of the set, so I guess I would slightly lean towards black honestly...

The contrast of the bright colors against black makes the set look more crisp; while, a gray background will make the set look a bit blurred.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 00:04:11 »
Not true at all.  The Code keys from the prior space bar and Eac pack buy are Cyan on N9 and look sharp and crisp as hell.

It's not my photo, but gives you an idea.  N9 is a very very dark grey.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 00:07:40 »
Not true at all.  The Code keys from the prior space bar and Eac pack buy are Cyan on N9 and look sharp and crisp as hell.

Show Image

It's not my photo, but gives you an idea.  N9 is a very very dark grey.

Are the light, ISO setting, and white balance well adjusted in this picture? N9 looks closer in real life to the one you posted, previously.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 00:12:48 »
I actually think my picture is CC and I misspoke.  The Code key is N9.   Like I said, it's not my picture.  I corrected it the best I could and while I have an IPS monitor, it's not calibrated.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 00:56:43 »
I actually think my picture is CC and I misspoke.  The Code key is N9.   Like I said, it's not my picture.  I corrected it the best I could and while I have an IPS monitor, it's not calibrated.

Show Image

This looks closer to real life.

Offline retainerbox

• meow
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 01:45:23 »
I too, like the grey. Will a base set be also sold to compliment the CMYK (even just plain black/white like mockups) or is it just purely the modifiers?

ErgoDox/Magic Girl, AVA/Islander,  ALU68/Godspeed, VOID40/Dark Magic Girl

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 03:55:47 »
Oh cool, another dolch set...

Seeing as we're all now making a diffrent set, why not have the 'Miami Night' set a proper Miami set, change the pink with real legend mods to purple with teal mods and the rest of the caps a dark blue with pink legends. So it looks like Miami, but the base set of colours are a lot darker while keeping the original colours for the legends.

Offline kebby

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 04:15:13 »
I think with appealing colors and some marketing the nonstandard details won't be an issue. Probably if you manage to get the attention of the less hardcore enthusiasts they aren't as obsessed about every small detail being exactly as they want as long as the set looks nice in general.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 09:19:40 »
While I love the charcoal dark grey of N9 and it feels black when you look at it, it's still quite a bit brighter and softer on the eyes when held next to real black. I'm pretty sure Miami was about poking at your eyes.

I potatophoned the situation to the best of my abilities:

In the end I personally prefer dark grey over black, but I can't really say it's the way to go here, given that it's about Miami and I'm not that likely to buy either way.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 09:48:14 »
While I love the charcoal dark grey of N9 and it feels black when you look at it, it's still quite a bit brighter and softer on the eyes when held next to real black. I'm pretty sure Miami was about poking at your eyes.

I potatophoned the situation to the best of my abilities:
Show Image

In the end I personally prefer dark grey over black, but I can't really say it's the way to go here, given that it's about Miami and I'm not that likely to buy either way.

Miami nights may turn into Dolch penumbra?  :'(

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:41:58 »
This IC seems to be going a lot like all the other GMK IC's that Ivan ran when GMK was new and he wanted to do cool new stuff that we had never had before... But all anyone ever wanted was the same Dolch sets they already had... And now this IC is going the same way...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 11:48:42 »
Some wants another round of Dolch, let's call it Dolch penumbra; but, some of us just want a nice business like set, Miami nights, a discrete one, with a touch of style.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:05:56 »
Some wants another round of Dolch, let's call it Dolch penumbra; but, some of us just want a nice business like set, Miami nights, a discrete one, with a touch of style.
I agree, it is a classic color, with a little bit of a color splash on it, I like the way it is, and it looks simple, yet still somewhat festive.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:29:37 »
I'm really excited for this set and like some of nubbs ideas. Quite frankly I don't really like the unconventional Enter or the Spanish printing but I don't want too many opposing ideas to cripple this before it makes past the IC. I'm in for one pretty much regardless as I love the idea and the things I do not like are not deal breakers for me. Lets see what happens!
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline avtar

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 12:34:34 »
This IC seems to be going a lot like all the other GMK IC's that Ivan ran when GMK was new and he wanted to do cool new stuff that we had never had before... But all anyone ever wanted was the same Dolch sets they already had... And now this IC is going the same way...

The dark grey changes would be along the lines of what Ivan wanted for this group buy https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48798.0 (something that I was hoping would still happen in some shape or form) but with the CMYK addition.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:01:38 »

The dark grey changes would be along the lines of what Ivan wanted for this group buy https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48798.0 (something that I was hoping would still happen in some shape or form) but with the CMYK addition.

And at last it reads:

GMK white/dark grey US/GB full set + 'Gamer' add-on {Closed}
« Reply #1 on: 2013-09-20, 16:05:05 »

White legends on dark grey Cherry doubleshots. NEW target MOQ 250!
ORDER DEADLINE - 1 April 2014
Groupbuy failed to reach MOQ and is cancelled.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:06:00 »
N9 FTW
null

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:09:53 »
I am confused, some individuals want a second round of a failed GB? Sure, it makes a lot of sense; mainly, considering the empty wallets after TA and HF, plus the upcoming Beige, and some modifier packs.

Offline avtar

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:12:53 »
And at last it reads:

Yup I never said it ended up being successful. At the time most people seem to have wanted GMK Dolch which is out of the way now while others found the original price of the base set to be too high. My point was that a dark grey set would look great and even more so with CMYK.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:28:58 »
I am indifferent between classic black and a dark gray - both would look fine with the Miami colors.

But I feel other features like the different profiles and choice of legends is more important for the success of this set. People who don't like the profile mix won't join just because the color is suddenly slightly different...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 13:56:59 »
Changing the colorway is really not something I would like to do. I think it's going to look fantastic in black. Also, with all kits having a black base color less set up work should be involved with sets also sharing many legends so I might be able to secure some pricing or maybe MOQ breaks on one or more sets.
Numpad enter legend will be changed to the more typical horizontal one, so there is no need to keep banging on about it.
What I am thinking currently...
Strip the main set down to a winkeyless only TKL set which will greatly reduce the cost. The CMYK v2 set can be relied upon to fulfill B profile needs with the addition of arrow keys. Offer a numpad option, in which I was thinking it might be interesting to add extra ABCDEF keys so it could be set up as a hexidecimal pad, or be used for a macro pad or whatever.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 14:08:10 »
Strip the main set down to a winkeyless only TKL set which will greatly reduce the cost. The CMYK v2 set can be relied upon to fulfill B profile needs with the addition of arrow keys. Offer a numpad option, in which I was thinking it might be interesting to add extra ABCDEF keys so it could be set up as a hexidecimal pad, or be used for a macro pad or whatever.

You know what happens if you split things up with a GMK GB - if you separate the numpad it will never meet MOQ.

Having said that, as a TKL user I'd welcome your idea. A cheaper main set might be easier to push to MOQ  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 14:14:21 »
Except a winkeyless TKL set is only good for the 30 people with Korean keyboards who might buy the set.

I know the color is a pipedream even though I really only wanted it for the CMYK pack, but catering to a minority and making everyone else pay a fair bit more to get something useable is the best way to kill this in the IC phase.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 14:20:26 »
Except a winkeyless TKL set is only good for the 30 people with Korean keyboards who might buy the set.

I think you are meant to buy the CMYK kit to get the 1.25 mods for modern stock boards. I think that's a reasonable approach.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 14:21:35 »
LOGIC>
CMYK v2 is already going to be here. WHY make the full set more expensive by including what will essentially be duplicates of that kit? For everyone that prefers B profile regardless of which size modifiers they use, it will take care of those needs and there is no call for cost inflation, but for savings instead. How the hell is that a bad idea?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 14:26:33 »
Alright then. I'm out and I'll keep my mouth shut from here on out.  I think the set is a good idea, but not the way you want to run it.  If it succeeds, congrats, but I'm but seeing it happening.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 14:58:02 »
A TKL set woud be fine, but win keyless would rule me out I'm afraid Ivan.

Just out of curiosity whats the total cost of lowest possible order (if one person was going to buy all those sets outright)?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 15:05:24 »
I am in.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #196 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 15:09:34 »

Just out of curiosity whats the total cost of lowest possible order (if one person was going to buy all those sets outright)?

Ivan will offer a CMY on black kit similar to this so you could use the main set on a modern TKL  :thumb:

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2015, 15:11:27 by LechnerDE »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 17:22:15 »

Ivan will offer a CMY on black kit similar to this so you could use the main set on a modern TKL  :thumb:

Show Image

As a separate GB?

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 17:30:13 »
No, it will be one GB with different kits.

Just read the OP. Ivan just doesn't have a mockup yet.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 04 April 2015, 18:32:39 »
Ok that sounds sick as I can't find ANYONE to sell me a CMYW set and I was thinking that it would look great with that.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade