Poll

What colors should be an option for this buy?

Black
135 (19.6%)
Grey
47 (6.8%)
Purple
62 (9%)
Green
8 (1.2%)
Dark Grey
123 (17.9%)
Blue
19 (2.8%)
Blue Grey
86 (12.5%)
Silver
86 (12.5%)
Olive
16 (2.3%)
White
71 (10.3%)
Red
35 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 401

Author Topic: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!  (Read 186272 times)

Offline terminallytrill

Re: [IC] Novatouch CNC Anodized Aluminum case!
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 22:56:53 »
Absolutely interested. Would probably just go with black. My novatouch is definitely been my favorite board for the past 6 months or so. Best of both worlds

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 23:01:25 »
Alright, Poll is up.

If you have suggestions for other colors, quote this comment and I will add them tomorrow. I just put the ones I thought would be the most popular up for now. You get 2 choices which leaves enough room for a clear winner and a backup color in the case that something wins that wouldn't normally be feasible.

Thanks! I'd love to see white and red added as well. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 23:03:41 »
Interested but it would be great if the angle with feet was a bit lower - maybe 9 degrees?

I thought about maybe adding a second option for lower feet. Without the flip-down feet, the inherent slope of the Novatouch is 4 degrees. Mine is 0 degrees. With the feet up, it's 11 degrees. I was thinking of adding a 4 degree set of feet.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 23:33:18 »
Alright, Poll is up.

If you have suggestions for other colors, quote this comment and I will add them tomorrow. I just put the ones I thought would be the most popular up for now. You get 2 choices which leaves enough room for a clear winner and a backup color in the case that something wins that wouldn't normally be feasible.

Added
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline chamelemon_64

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 07 March 2016, 23:59:27 »
Soooo In  :D :D

Offline K

• stop trying to reset my password... use a VPN
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 01:59:25 »
Would you be able to give a really rough estimate of when this would drop? Bcs if it's soon i'd have to drop outta 1976, gotta stay in budget. Really interested in this, hyped to try my first custom case. :)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 02:38:57 »
Would you be able to give a really rough estimate of when this would drop? Bcs if it's soon i'd have to drop outta 1976, gotta stay in budget. Really interested in this, hyped to try my first custom case. :)

I'd pessimistically guess 4-6 weeks from now, but perhaps earlier if things go smoothly. The machine shop is working on a final sample using what would become the production tooling, along with sample riser feet.

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 03:38:05 »
Alright, Poll is up.

White got my vote! I'd love a white aluminum case for my carbon board; as of now I just have it sprayed with white paint :(

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 04:57:07 »
I can't stop thinking about this one and would be in for one.
I like keyboards

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 04:58:21 »
Just made an account for this awesome project!

The rapid-i top case is the same as the novatouch, not sure about the bottom though...

White got my vote! I'd love a white aluminum case for my carbon board; as of now I just have it sprayed with white paint :(

I am thinking about jumping on the Round 2 of carbon and would be interested to see how the set looks with a white case.
Any chance you got some pictures floating around?

Or maybe someone else has colored their cases too? Might help some guys with lack of immagination like myself.

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 05:25:24 »
I'm so in. Need it.
How heavy it is?

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 05:42:36 »
I'm in as long as it's in sub-$200 price range (which is probably not that possible sadly, but a man can dream!)

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 05:52:48 »
I probably wouldn't be able to resist the call of this set, especially with the cute modifiers, it's so mathematical!
I like keyboards

Offline codywanks

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 06:05:35 »
I'm in as long as it's in sub-$200 price range (which is probably not that possible sadly, but a man can dream!)

I'm in for 2x if it hits sub-$200.

Offline Kirfloof

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 06:31:50 »
Having recently silence modded my NT (what an improvement!) I'd be interested in this if numbers can get the price down to around $150, import costs would be a pain, and I'd be worried over having an expensive paperweight if the NT is ever discontinued and my board breaks on me.

Other thoughts:

Black is probably a given, but wouldn't be my first choice. Nantucket is heading to mine, and black doesn't seem a good fit there. I had been planning to vinyl wrap or do something with a hammer finish paint, but this would certainly be neater. Is it strange I like the look without the top half in place?

Wondering how a perspex layer would look on there...

I went for purple as the 'out there' choice and a neutral grey for a catch-all.

How prone are these alum cases to showing marks/fingerprints? I have to use cotton gloves when working on one of my alum pc cases as it's just bare metal. One of the reasons I'm wanting to switch case or mod it up is the easily marked soft touch finish. My very sloppy typing keeps leaving pinkie marks below the delete key  >:D

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 07:04:25 »
For those asking if other boards will fit...

I believe the QFR fits in the Vortex and Tex TKL alloy cases. I have one of the Vortex cases. The NT doesn't fit, it's plate is too wide, by several millimeters on both top and bottom. So likely, the QFR's plate will be too narrow. The NT is also a mm or two wider. Another issue I had trying to get it to fit: the Function row would rub slightly when the rest of the keys were positioned correctly. The NT might be a mm or so different in spacing.

Edit: For reference, NT PCB inside Vortex case just fits. The PCB actually scrapes the sides fitting into it. NT plate overhangs the PCB noticeably.

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 07:07:30 by keshley »

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline TheNacho

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 07:17:40 »
Im just imagining this on my 55g Novatouch with Type-S style silencing. I think I'd be down for one.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!

'93 Model M (bolt modded) -|- Novatouch 55g

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 07:26:26 »
FWIW, I have one of the older prototypes, and it has made the NT my favorite board to type on.

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline redskull

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 07:36:56 »
good job norbauer! we need more casings for mech kbds already in the market such as those duckys, filcos, etc.

will you be coming up with future different designs? angled case with a thinner side walls?

Offline zah

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 09:35:52 »
these look amazing and I can't wait to buy one

Offline norbauer

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 11:13:06 »

Given the level of interest I've seen so far, this is more likely than one might think. :) I have been very encouraged by the early response to this thread, and I'm working actively with MassDrop to figure out how to get these to everyone in as efficient and affordable a way as possible while still having really high quality. Please keep the thoughts and feedback coming and I'll provide updates and answers along thew way.

Thanks also everyone for continuing to vote on the colors. Please keep it up! So far, it looks like black/dark gray are the overwhelming majority, so it's mainly a question of whether we can do a secondary color without adding to much cost for creating a second anodizing lot. It's not entirely clear to me whether someone who voted for dark gray would not also be OK with black (and vice versa). Any thoughts? Bear in mind that each color we add significantly adds to the overall price of each unit across all colors due to the way anodizing providers in the US charge for lots.

good job norbauer! we need more casings for mech kbds already in the market such as those duckys, filcos, etc.

will you be coming up with future different designs? angled case with a thinner side walls?

Thanks! I'm not sure about other designs given how much work went into this one, but we'll see how this drop goes. I'm really enjoying learning how all this stuff works (CAD, machining, and prototyping are a lot of fun!), but it's a lot of work, far out of proportion to any amount of money I'll ever make back from the drop. The main reason I made this case was because I wanted it for myself. So if I design something else, it'll be for the same reason. :)

FWIW, I have one of the older prototypes, and it has made the NT my favorite board to type on.

Thanks, keshley! I really appreciated your support and encouragement along with the very kind words of others who got prototypes; if it weren't for these positive responses, I wouldn't have continued to pursue doing a group buy.

How heavy it is?

2 pounds and 13 oz (~1.3kg) without the optional riser feet.

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 March 2016, 11:34:07 by norbauer »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 13:16:27 »
Voted for white!

I think I have never seen a white alu board before :D

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 13:20:03 »
This is my input on the design of the casing. It's entirely subjective.

I think it would look better if the bezels (particularly the side bezels) were more thin. By the looks of the casing it seems like this would be achievable.

I think a smaller chamfer would look good for the edges - something around 0.5mm 45deg.

I would recommend that you offer some feet even for the first group buy. A lot of people dislike flat keyboards. I also think 11deg is too much for most people - 9deg would be a good compromise.

Also, it looks like you've done so already but I would make sure you make the case as slimline as possible. 2cm height max at the front.

Great project. Good luck.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 14:04:11 »
At 250, I'm not sure but if price can be made to be around 150 or so I'm definitely interested.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 14:10:33 »
At 250, I'm not sure but if price can be made to be around 150 or so I'm definitely interested.
It's not realistic to aim for $150 at a low quantity. CNC machining is not cheap.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 14:57:51 »
It's not realistic to aim for $150 at a low quantity. CNC machining is not cheap.
Yeah, I can understand that.   If quantities are high enough to push prices down in that ballpark, I'd be interested, especially if it were a massdrop run or something.   I can understand that this kind of machining is not cheap, though.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 16:16:37 »
Thanks for adding white, got my vote. I would definitely prefer a light neutral color in addition to black over another dark color. Well, now that I think about it, brushed aluminum would be my absolute favorite.

Offline honeynugget

• /u/honeynugget on reddit
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 16:28:17 »
Definitely interested if it's going to be under $250. My novatouch is my daily driver and I would very much like to get a better case for it.

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 06:06:36 »
I want one  :eek:

Offline amharris

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 07:00:03 »
I don't own a NovaTouch but if I did, I'd definitely be up for this. The quality and design is simply staggering.
Congrats!  :thumb:

Though I do feel that you should provide some feet that only have a fair tilt for those that don't want such a heavy incline as 11 degrees. Offering both would be good; 7 or 8 degrees, perhaps. :)

Cheers.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 13:39:39 »
7 or 8 degrees, perhaps. :)

I would recommend that you offer some feet even for the first group buy. A lot of people dislike flat keyboards. I also think 11deg is too much for most people - 9deg would be a good compromise.

Thanks for all the great advice and feedback, everyone! I wanted first to respond to the foot height issue on the optional riser. I think this is good advice and I'll go for somewhere between the native keyboard incline and the incline of the Novatouch with its flip-up feet deployed. I have opted for 8 degrees.

Here is the new design. The angle between the keyboard face and the orange line is 8 degrees.

« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 13:41:21 by norbauer »

Offline MechanicalCafe

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 14:52:07 »
I've been waiting and wanting a novatouch and this just pushed me to buy one.

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 15:24:08 »

Thanks also everyone for continuing to vote on the colors. Please keep it up! So far, it looks like black/dark gray are the overwhelming majority, so it's mainly a question of whether we can do a secondary color without adding to much cost for creating a second anodizing lot. It's not entirely clear to me whether someone who voted for dark gray would not also be OK with black (and vice versa). Any thoughts? Bear in mind that each color we add significantly adds to the overall price of each unit across all colors due to the way anodizing providers in the US charge for lots.

I voted for Black/Dark Grey. So I would actually like the end result to be either one of those (since both versions sounds "safe") - along with an opportunity of a more "colorful" alternative! :)

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 13:34:47 »
I think 8° is a good tradeoff for the feet!

Another case color option might be a "nude" version without anodizing - no idea how it looks though/ if someone might be interested in that/ it is possible.

Do you have any more pictures or details regarding the plate positioning and plate securement at the bottom-case? If I understand it correctly the plate is only fixed with a weld at the sides of the bottom case, while the plate in the original case is fixed directly at the bottom. Doesn´t that impact the feel because the plate bends a bit?

Keep up the great work!

Offline Jedi

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 06:31:29 »
I think it would also help to narrow down the pantone color for each voting option above.  Color is so subjective to a lot of people and having the color number and web page to cross reference would really improve the voting accuracy and, I think, contribute to the voting response.  Plus the feedback you get on the pantone color choices will also help with finalizing whatever pantone color number you choose.  Looking forward to this GB, I mean drop  :p

Offline Xiro7

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 06:35:20 »
I would buy a Novatouch just for this case.

Offline breitling

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 11:27:26 »
I was already eyeing this when you listed your prototype for sale. Not a huge fan of flat keyboards so now that there is an incline I am definitely in, as long as the colors are good!

Offline norbauer

Re: [IC] Novatouch/Rapid-i CNC Anodized Aluminum case!
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 04:45:48 »
I'm delighted to report that the Rapid-i also fits perfectly in the case. So now a backlit Cherry MX board is an option with this case as well! :D

(This photo also shows the flange screw, which tensions the plate into place against the case body.)

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 04:50:02 »
I'm delighted to report that the Rapid-i also fits perfectly in the case. So now a backlit Cherry MX board is an option with this case as well! :D

Show Image

(This photo also shows the flange screw, which tensions the plate into place against the case body.)

Awesome! I'll definitelly get one for my Rapid-i if it's made in white :)

Offline atectatifern

Re: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i!
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 05:46:01 »
Interested-I have two silenced NT's that would be endgame candidates with Al cases. I am guessing that if MD ran your cases and the bare bones NT simultaneously, more of both could be sold.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 11:29:06 »
How does the thickness of your case compare with the stock Novatouch case? I've found that I love SA keycaps on mine, but it makes the keyboard a little on the tall side. If anything, I'd prefer a thinner case than stock.

Heck I just had mine apart but I didn't really pay attention to whether there was excess space in the bottom of the case that could be shaved.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 11:41:16 »

Show Image

Nice!

Now my only problem is to decide whether to use my Novatouch or my Rapid-I.

I'll probably have to buy two cases in true Wallethack fashion now :p

I really hope WHITE will be an option!

Offline codywanks

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 11:49:57 »
Nice!

Now my only problem is to decide whether to use my Novatouch or my Rapid-I.

I'll probably have to buy two cases in true Wallethack fashion now :p

I really hope WHITE will be an option!

Get two black cases for the Novatouch (in case the first one gets scratched or dented).

Then, get another two white cases for the Rapid-i. Job done.

*In all seriousness, that's what I'd probably end up doing

Offline Butter

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:02:54 »

Show Image

It will be nice if the new masterkeys pro S use the same case as the rapid-i. aluminum RGB keyboard!!

Offline axtran

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 23:13:44 »
I bought a prototype of this case, and I have to say that it is one of the nicest cases I've owned. I used to have a Tex TKL Alu case in Dark Grey and this one is definitely done with the care and quality as the Tex.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline axtran

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 21:32:41 »
Delivering some examples of the greatness that this case is...

MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 21:58:54 »
I'm sold.

Offline Metaldrake

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 22:01:20 »
With the release of the MasterKeys Pro S, I've been told that it has the same case as the Rapid-i and Novatouch. If anyone has possession of it, can you confirm? If so then I'll have to go for 2 of these sweet cases.
Realforce 86U

Offline WNovizar

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 01:24:33 »
Are there latest updates on possible colors?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 02:11:36 »
I have to say that the bezel is too thick

and it looks better if you make a natural angle case instead of using feet

just my opinion