Author Topic: [IC] GMK Plum | GB is OVER | New colour samples are in, and they are stunning.  (Read 173831 times)

Offline nugglets

The renders are listed specifically as "accurate colors" and were there to give buyers an idea of what the set was supposed to look like, according to Jessica. She stated several times that there was no "real" color she was using as a reference, just she knew what she wanted to accomplish and had the renders adjusted to show that.

So, yes, I will use them as a comparison thank you very much =)

Yeah, they're close to accurate but the renders have been enhanced in unrealistic high dynamic lighting which is not real. Again, it's only there as a close visual.

I understand what a render is. =)

But as there is nothing else to compare to, and as that was the vision of the set given the OK by the person who conceptualized the color scheme, I think it's fair to use it as a comparison. I'm not saying it's a 100% perfect match, or that it needs to be, just that the "idea" of the set is very well reflected in the "muted" purple and is not even close to the "vibrant" purple.

Offline orpheo

The purple keys samples look nothing like the renders. The renders are muted greyish purple, while the real world sample look like purples...

Offline Tally810

The colors she picked look just fine. I'm excited for it

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline tofgerl

Just sell your kits if you don't like them. I guarantee you'll not lose money on the deal.

Offline Owl-

The renders are listed specifically as "accurate colors" and were there to give buyers an idea of what the set was supposed to look like, according to Jessica. She stated several times that there was no "real" color she was using as a reference, just she knew what she wanted to accomplish and had the renders adjusted to show that.

Yeah, they're close to accurate but the renders have been enhanced in unrealistic high dynamic lighting which is not real. Again, it's only there as a close visual.

But as there is nothing else to compare to, and as that was the vision of the set given the OK by the person who conceptualized the color scheme, I think it's fair to use it as a comparison. I'm not saying it's a 100% perfect match, or that it needs to be, just that the "idea" of the set is very well reflected in the "muted" purple and is not even close to the "vibrant" purple.

That's what I point at from the start; those fancy renders aren't great to use as a colour match, only a visual guide. The original keyset sheet provided is usually the best reference, not the fancy rendered angles of the set, but fair enough if you want to use thesiscamper's renders as your comparison.
I'm not saying his renders are terrible, they're great visual indicators, but they're not great colour comparisons as you know already, they're just produced to give eye pleasure.

Offline mongoosedog12

Colors look awesome! good job,

any idea when the GB will be and if it will be announced in this thread or in a separate one?

any idea when the GB will be and if it will be announced in this thread or in a separate one?
The group but has already come and gone my friend

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline forevermadrigal

Also, the title says the gb is over..

Offline mongoosedog12

Doh, I didn't even notice that.

I'll go wallow now haha

thanks

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

That's what I point at from the start; those fancy renders aren't great to use as a colour match, only a visual guide. The original keyset sheet provided is usually the best reference, not the fancy rendered angles of the set, but fair enough if you want to use thesiscamper's renders as your comparison.
I'm not saying his renders are terrible, they're great visual indicators, but they're not great colour comparisons as you know already, they're just produced to give eye pleasure.

Right, but the thing is Jessica/Brazzers decided to use the renders to match the colors irl, I think.

Offline Owl-

Right, but the thing is Jessica/Brazzers decided to use the renders to match the colors irl, I think.

ur mam :p

That's ok if she does. At the moment, the results match the keyset sheet that she said she'd compare to and not the fancy renders. They're soft tones going by the photos and matches the keyset sheet from what I see.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

ur mam

That's ok if she does. At the moment, the results match the keyset sheet that she said she'd compare to and not the fancy renders. They're soft tones going by the photos and matches the keyset sheet from what I see.

haha

Offline pomk

You can get rid of the yellow cast easily by just having a piece of white paper in the picture and then instructing lightroom (or similar software) to calibrate ~90% white based on it. Best results would be had in natural light though.

Not white, it's grey.

Any mid-grey to white will work just as well for setting the color balance. The specific grey 80% tone used in greycards is used to set the exposure as well. While the exposure will affect saturation, without a color calibration target the saturation has to be set by hand anyway. It is also a lot easier to find some white paper with no inherent color (photocopy paper works well) when compared to grey papers and cards which usually have a bit of yellow mixed into them.

edit: on page 13 the pictures were taken on a photocopy paper, here is how it would look with the color cast removed:

For accurate colors a color calibration target would be needed as well as high cri lighting.
(if Jessica wants this removed, just say so)
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2017, 05:52:11 by pomk »

Offline tofgerl

If the colour accuracy is so damned important, I'm willing to take images with correct colour balance. IANAProfessionalPhotographer, but it's weird how much stuff you pick up when you have a really good camera store in town... I have a camera with flash (Fuji X20), a Colour Checker passport, a white balance sheet and a pop-tent for taking pictures of small stuff.

But you know what? It would look almost exactly like the image above me, and you STILL wouldn't be able to tell if the image you actually see is correct, because your screen isn't balanced against the picture I would take!

So just chill the **** out and wait for the caps! If you like them, fan-damn-tastic! If you don't, SELL THEM!

Offline neon_tom

So just chill the **** out and wait for the caps! If you like them, fan-damn-tastic! If you don't, SELL THEM!

Easily the most intelligent post I've seen in this thread. I've never seen a keycap set fall under such absurd scrutiny.

Offline pomk

But you know what? It would look almost exactly like the image above me, and you STILL wouldn't be able to tell if the image you actually see is correct, because your screen isn't balanced against the picture I would take!

You master pictures in some other color space than sRGB? If not I don't see a problem here.

My post was in reply to Jessica describing a problematic color cast and me fixing the problem. Where did I go so totally wrong that you start shouting ***** ?
I am confused.

Offline tofgerl

You master pictures in some other color space than sRGB? If not I don't see a problem here.

My post was in reply to Jessica describing a problematic color cast and me fixing the problem. Where did I go so totally wrong that you start shouting ***** ?
I am confused.
Not everything is about you. If I was talking to you, I would be quoting you. Like I am right now.

Offline LDobler

If you don't want your set I'd be glad to buy it :)

PS: I'm serious  :-X

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
If you don't want your set I'd be glad to buy it :)

PS: I'm serious  :-X
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline pomk

I am confused.
Not everything is about you. If I was talking to you, I would be quoting you. Like I am right now.
Thanks for the clarification. Have a great day!  :thumb:

Offline jessica

• Formerly CuteDreamsOfYou & Brazzers
  • HHKB is the only good layout
The set is gonna look how I want it to and I want it to look perfect.

Stop being pedantic and just enjoy the keycaps. Thnx.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
The set is gonna look how I want it to

i mean that's a given

people like to get ****ty when you don't post about your thought process 15 times a week
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline jessica

i mean that's a given

people like to get ****ty when you don't post about your thought process 15 times a week
Dude I wish I had 15 different thought processes about this keyset a week.
As is, it's nothing but "man I really hope it comes out good" lmfao

Offline Tally810

i mean that's a given

Dude I wish I had 15 different thought processes about this keyset a week.
As is, it's nothing but "man I really hope it comes out good" lmfao
It's all good the other 1350 people like myself will decide when they show up on our doorstep.  I'm sure it will be great

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
it's gonna sell well no matter what so just do whatever you want
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
mrw havent visited this thread in a while...

Offline jessica

Show Image

Right?

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???

Show Image

Right?

Hopefully we're not in the darkest timeline
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
The IC section is for Interest Checks only to gather community interest in a product and seek advice on design adjustments.  Please discuss actual massdrop group buys on massdrop, or if needed you can post feedback on the massdrop section on this forum (but massdrop is the company who actually ran the group buy, and so they should be the ones contacted with any issues, directly on their site).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -