Author Topic: [IC] SP-SA Carbon Round 2  (Read 139264 times)

Offline a_ak57

Re: [IC] SP-SA Carbon Round 2
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 07:53:15 »
Big time hype for this, SA Carbon was what got me to look into and start ordering custom keycap sets as well as a Novatouch and JTK sliders for some of my other topre boards.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 09:39:41 »
I got in on the first round, but for some reason didn't have the right keyboard + switch combination to really appreciate SA. So I sold my set for cheap....and now I highly regret it. This might be my chance to redeem myself.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 09:46:11 »
I got in on the first round, but for some reason didn't have the right keyboard + switch combination to really appreciate SA. So I sold my set for cheap....and now I highly regret it. This might be my chance to redeem myself.

What do you think the right keyboard and switch combo which can make you appreciate SA?

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 09:59:07 »
Since this is a work in progress I want to point out there is no 175 R3 Control key which I know I and many others would appreciate.

I have been waiting for this. I knew from rumors it was going to be a June/July things so those rumors were fairly accurate with you predicting a July/Aug launch.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 10:21:50 »
I think alpha's plus bone mods would look great. I wanna see a carbon board with no orange haha.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 11:48:03 »
100% in, unless it's announced that gmk carbon r2 will have orange alphas.. then I'm only 98% in.

Confirm you are only 98% in.

3u spacebar in a spacebar kit (or modifiers) would be awesome, considering the z70 drop shipping in April :)
Since this is a work in progress I want to point out there is no 175 R3 Control key which I know I and many others would appreciate.

Both keys belong into exotic kit not to base modifiers.

That said I'm sure at some point last year you were perhaps toying with the idea of XDA Carbon instead of DSA. Is that still a possibility in future?

Me toying with a pbt? I dont like pbt produced nowadays. Too rough too dry. Does not feel good to me. Not worth to develop for. Good ABS > all PBT you can get produced nowadays.

Also, "bone" modifiers? Will there be a Patrick Bateman novelty key included?

Bone as naming was chosen due to the agressive nature of Carbon keyset. But i dig the scene with the cards and the bone color  :)) Well the beige used in carbon is bone/ivory color. There will be another kit with bones in its name. But these bones will get another meaning.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 12:27:26 »

What do you think the right keyboard and switch combo which can make you appreciate SA?

At the time, I only had Cherry MX Brown and Gateron Black based boards. I didn't start appreciating how SA's felt until I put a vintage MX clear stem + 65g Korean spring keyboard together. Didn't enjoy them on the Gateron Blacks, but only sorta enjoyed them on the Cherry MX Brown. Figured for such an expensive keycap set, if I didn't enjoy them, I might as well sell.

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 14:41:47 »
I'd be in for an ergodox set

Offline PlasticSporkz

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 14:45:40 »
I'm So in for an 1800 set.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 March 2017, 14:48:10 by PlasticSporkz »
Ducky Shine 2, Poker II, Leopold FC980M x2. Cherry Blues

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 14:58:17 »
I might be down for a set. I'm still kicking myself for passing on GMK Carbon & should be getting my 1st SA set soon (Godspeed). If I like SA I'll be in, just don't want to say for sure since I have not used SA yet.

Offline wongie

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 15:54:12 »

That said I'm sure at some point last year you were perhaps toying with the idea of XDA Carbon instead of DSA. Is that still a possibility in future?

Me toying with a pbt? I dont like pbt produced nowadays. Too rough too dry. Does not feel good to me. Not worth to develop for. Good ABS > all PBT you can get produced nowadays.

Seems I remembered wrong, did a bit of digging but now found your original reply; it was actually devlin Q that you said you were considering. That still a possibility?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 15:59:40 »

Seems I remembered wrong, did a bit of digging but now found your original reply; it was actually devlin Q that you said you were considering. That still a possibility?

Probably. But i need to hold these keys in my hands first. Depending on quality i might consider this as probable profile.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:09:33 »
Great news, some questions:
Will there be Apple modifiers?
Will there be media keys?
Will there be *drum roll* Colemak homing keys?

;D

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:19:53 »
Great news, some questions:
Will there be Apple modifiers?
Will there be media keys?
Will there be *drum roll* Colemak homing keys?

;D

Will there be Apple modifiers? yes
Will there be media keys? Will think about it. Though you will have so many novelties dont know if you' need this really... but its a good suggestion and i will look into it.
Will there be *drum roll* Colemak homing keys? There will be previous DC kit which is 1234 profiled. But as you have seen there is the alphas extension which allows actually uniform (3333 profile) colemak btw dvorak placement. Despite the real purpose of the alphas extension is to allow you to mix Carbon alphas with any SA set (regardles of its profile configuration), i've already added homing keys for uniform dvorak and colemak layout.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:39:50 »
Thanks.

My short-sighted recommendation for media keys would be volUp, volDown, Mute, Play/pause, Next, Previous, brightnessUp, brightnessDown. I'm sure there are more possibilities, but those are the ones that would make me happy ;)

Offline kamisamamizu

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 16:58:52 »
Hello! I just registered to make you know I'm very exited for this!
One question, in R1, in the international kit, you said you supported UK, DE, FR, NO, DK, SE, IT and FI.
First, I wanted to know if it will still be available to purchase, and second, I wanted to let you know that with only one extra key, there's full compatibility for Spanish. Adding a 3· key to the number row makes the kit have all Spanish specific keys.

Thank you!

Offline kbwarrior

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:09:16 »
In!

Looks great so far.

Optionally, a blank cream/sand colored 1.75 R4 key would be great. I could use three of those.

The uniform option for dvorak is good news, but quietly I'm still hoping for a sculpted dvorak or colrak option. :)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:18:50 »
One question, in R1, in the international kit, you said you supported UK, DE, FR, NO, DK, SE, IT and FI.
First, I wanted to know if it will still be available to purchase, and second, I wanted to let you know that with only one extra key, there's full compatibility for Spanish. Adding a 3· key to the number row makes the kit have all Spanish specific keys.

Thank you!

Hello and welcome to geekhack!

Honestly i dont know if i will support south european languages. The thing is the scene in europe is pretty small and most of them switched anyway to us ansi (like me). I will definitely support norde this time but about south europe i dont know. If you got 25 people who want to participate on this drop, then i can develop a south eu kit for you. Keep in mind even norde kit has struggle to reach its moq.

Offline eddible

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:18:52 »
Can you make sure UK ISO is its own kit like usual? I know on R1 the Int kit was very big and expensive so it'd be good to avoid having to buy a large set to get my keys!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:23:16 »
Can you make sure UK ISO is its own kit like usual? I know on R1 the Int kit was very big and expensive so it'd be good to avoid having to buy a large set to get my keys!

UK kit belongs into norde, same as it was done in GMK intl kit. You should help your iso fellows and they shall help you to reach moq.

Offline eddible

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:26:05 »

UK kit belongs into norde, same as it was done in GMK intl kit. You should help your iso fellows.
That's sad to hear, no other SA set bundles the UK kit into a larger set. The UK kit is popular enough to stand up on its own and it's far smaller than things like a norde kit.

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:54:24 »

UK kit belongs into norde, same as it was done in GMK intl kit. You should help your iso fellows.
That's sad to hear, no other SA set bundles the UK kit into a larger set. The UK kit is popular enough to stand up on its own and it's far smaller than things like a norde kit.
Just think of it that way: With your support, it will be much easier to hit MOQ on the intl. kit.

Offline johnthedong

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:58:58 »
In for a set - just tried to buy a SA Carbon set at MM, was late for 2 mins and it was gone.  :( :( :(
Desperately trying to get my hands on a set (or GMK Carbon novelties) as my custom is coming soon...

Offline Lisinge

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 19:03:08 »
Please tell me you are gonna do the ergodox kit. If so im so in

Offline AdamEdmonds

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 20:17:07 »
Interested.

Offline numerofour

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 22:16:06 »
Is there any chance of adding an orange "Return" keycap with white legends in the Bone mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline palindrome

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 00:28:05 »
I could be talked into this.

OG KBC Poker X (Brown)     Leopold FC660M (Brown)

Offline gzprime

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 00:35:06 »
The Bone on Grey modifiers look super nice. Great work! My only input would be that it would be nice if you offered all Bone on Grey modifiers, to keep the dark classy, look.

An ideal world would be both color options, just like the default modifiers with F5-F8.

Offline loar

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 03:15:46 »
My body is ready

Offline kru20o1

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 09:16:34 »
Carbon is what got me into mech keyboards. I will definitely buy regardless if it's SA or GMK to replace my WASD v2 keys.

Offline breckstar

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 10:03:16 »
Maybe it is just me but I think the Bone Mods could use white on orange return and arrow keys to match the lonely orange esc. Possible to get 1.5u R2 delete in base mods? I always feel like split backspace and 1.5u'ers get shafted into buying a $50 pack to get them :/
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 March 2017, 10:08:55 by breckstar »

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 10:13:26 »
I agree with including White-on-Orange return and arrow keys in the bone mods! 
Even better... make the orange alphas White-on-Orange!!

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 10:46:51 »
Any chance you can include some 1u r4 keys for the rise of 65% boards? Alt, ctrl, fn, code/winkey?

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 11:01:12 »
If the price is sane I would be up for an ISO Nordic TKL compatible purchase. That would be Alpha set, Modifier set, ISO set, and International set I presume? Any idea what this would cost me?
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline Theconejo

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 11:23:10 »
If the price is sane I would be up for an ISO Nordic TKL compatible purchase. That would be Alpha set, Modifier set, ISO set, and International set I presume? Any idea what this would cost me?

There would be a international kit that would include the keys needed. This would be purchased on top of the alphas and mods of your choice. 

Base+mods+tsafox+novelties cost me 123$ before shipping for SA chocolatier to give you an idea but prices might have gone up or might not hit the same sale levels, which brings the price of the kits down.

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 March 2017, 11:25:10 by Theconejo »

Offline pattulus

• RocketINK
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 11:26:02 »

GMK Carbon will probably happen next year.

In that case, I might wait it out and cross my fingers for awesome GMK extras like Colmak and Ergodox kits. Looking forward to those with Yuri.

Offline _joe_king

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 14:50:46 »
innit :)

Offline ski_

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 16:40:49 »
Please tell me you are gonna do the ergodox kit. If so im so in
+1.  :-)

Offline colbs

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 18:25:21 »
+1 on the ergodox set please, but I am getting alphas, standard modifiers, novelties whether or not ergodox makes it in.  Missed out on this last time, and I have been eagerly awaiting its return.

Offline frarees

• ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ WANGERZ
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 18:55:37 »

Thank you!

Hello and welcome to geekhack!

Honestly i dont know if i will support south european languages. The thing is the scene in europe is pretty small and most of them switched anyway to us ansi (like me). I will definitely support norde this time but about south europe i dont know. If you got 25 people who want to participate on this drop, then i can develop a south eu kit for you. Keep in mind even norde kit has struggle to reach its moq.

I'd be in for that EU West kit :thumb:

Offline donRIT

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 12:15:33 »
In for my Planck!

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 16:06:16 »
YASSSSSS this is what i'm waiting so long....
Will you add spacebar kit for 3u and split (2,25u-2,75u) please ?

This. I would love to see this run with options for split space boards... I would love to see this run period. No way am I sleeping on it again.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 17:22:52 »
Woohoo, it's happening! In R4, I'd love to see a 1u FN key to go along with the 1.75u Shift.

Could this end up being the best-selling Massdrop release yet? Over 5000 people have registered their interest in a re-release!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 18:05:14 »
Update.

Modifiers kits:
- Added hhkb look a like support (duck viper etc.). See row 2 delete and row 3 control keys.
- Added missing row 4 1u mods (alt, func, ctrl).
- Bone modifiers: changed beige on orange escape to gray on orange.

Alphas:
- Added hhkb look a like support. See row 1 "|\" key.
Note: These are the main Carbon alphas. These will be supported 100% through all the child deals. The other alphas (orange and adaptive) are specific and optional, thus these will be supported only to some extent. Its important for me to give you as many choices as possible, but i think we should keep it real and do not allow the kits to blow up, just to support all the options. These are the main alphas they got all the support and everything else is optional.

New "Old" DC kit:

Adaptive Alphas (former Alphas extension) [OPTIONAL!!!]
The general idea behind these alphas was previously different. It was supposed to work as extender kit - to extend the main alphas so they could be mixed with other sets with differen profile constelations.
However things have changed and these adaptive alphas can be used as stand alone alphas for profile constelations of 2333 and 3333 (uniform). To get any possible profile constelation you still need to get both alphas.
But thats the main idea now? Well i've talked with jack humbert back in the day and he told me about the preference for an uniform (3333) profile on a planck keyboard. This time i'd like to support this idea and i want still give atleast a support for a default profiled (2343) planck layout. So in order to get an uniform planck you need to get Adaptive Alphas and 40% kit. To get a profiled planck you need to get the standard alphas and 40% kit. Important: Again you need to keep in mind that the profiled planck supports only the default layout of the planck. With uniform planck you get all the freedom to map each key as you want even exotics like dvorak and colemak (thus i've added also dc homing keys ;) ).

Did i mentioned 40% kit?

40%: (that kit screams to be called vodka)
Supports profiled (2343 default layout) and unform (3333 any layout) planck.
Supports also Van, JD40 and JD45 (all profiled 2343) layouts.

Since its obvious somebody will ask it: the ergodox kit will support only full profiled alphas.

« Last Edit: Fri, 24 March 2017, 18:19:02 by T0mb3ry »

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 19:01:47 »
Gooood news! I really like that the fact that you try to include everything feasible while still keeping the cost in mind.

I need this set. And the add ons. Modifiers too.

Offline gadzkun

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 19:14:54 »
cant wait to see exotic kit for minila compatibility :p

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 22:01:30 »
Mmmm 40% kit with orange alphas on my neon orange let's split.. yes please.
keyboards.

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 22:05:35 »
After seeing the latest changes, I'm officially on board. I'm incredibly excited to see the return of this set, it is just SO iconic.

Now I get to daydream about which novelties will return, and if we will see any new ones for this go around!

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #99 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 22:16:28 »
This is going to cost me a fortune because I can tell already that I'm going to end up with one of everything. Probably end up covering two boards with all this stuff :)