Author Topic: What’s the best feeling keeb you’ve tried?  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Rockindaguy

What’s the best feeling keeb you’ve tried?
« on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 00:28:14 »
New here but just wondering what are some of the best feeling boards you’ve tried. I owned a drop Ctrl and a kbd75 and they are just okay :llama:... looking to get a new keeb soon

Offline jamster

Re: What’s the best feeling keeb you’ve tried?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 01:02:39 »
For 'feeling' what matters first is what switches. Then what caps. The case is the least important part.

Offline Rockindaguy

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 01:07:31 »
Yeah I mean switches definitely do matter. But I’m thinking more of mounting styles?

Offline resetLetki

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 03:15:41 »
I would say this totally depends on preference. I personally love the hard bottom out on a steel plate, but for alot of people that feels too harsh.
There are alot of plate materials to experiment with, most commonly though are (from harder to softer) Steel, Brass, Alu and Plastics.
If you like your keyboard to feel more "sturdy" and hard -> plate mount, hardness changes with plate material.
If you prefer a more dampened and softer feel -> pcb mount

For the switches just pick something you like to type on, and also experimenting a bit with spring weights can also improve keyfeel in many cases. Also lubing. It's alot of work and it's more expensive, but for me it was always worth it regarding the feeling and sound of a switch.

For keycaps the texture of them is probably the most important one for feels. If you like slick/smooth caps (over time) ABS is the way to go, if they need to stay rough/textured over a long time go with PBT caps. POM is also an option, although not very common.
I really like enjoyPBT keycaps.

Lastly the case would only really impact the sound of the keyboard, but I do think that the sound of a keyboard does impact the feeling of typing on the switches.
Generally plastic cases make switches sound deep and full, while metal cases make them sound higher pitched. This is also of course preference. All of my keyboards have plastic cases as I like the soft feel and deeper tones.
Maybe if you carry your board around a lot it the quality of the case and the materials used could also contribute to the feels of it, not in the sense of typing, but rather how it feels to the touch (quality, sturdiness etc.).

What kind of switches did you use in your Ctrl and KBD75 and why exactly are they "just okay" for you?
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 September 2020, 03:18:33 by resetLetki »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 03:45:12 »
Everything matters, just depends on how much and where you put the money and work into it.

With a few bucks and a little work you can make a $40 Magicforce feel better than anything you buy off the shelf or even many customs and never break $150 invested. Yet you can also assemble a board with everything but the kitchen sink from all the best players and spend many hundreds of dollars on it but if it has the wrong switches, bad layout, wrong lube, wrong springs, it can feel like utter garbage to you but great to someone else.

You need to build it around what you want and like.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline resetLetki

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 04:25:12 »
I just noticed you probably mean mounting styles of the PCB, rather than the switches themselves.
Here's a great reference I found: https://thomasbaart.nl/2019/04/07/cheat-sheet-custom-keyboard-mounting-styles/

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 07:15:39 »
If you want a consistent feel you want to avoid tray, plateless or anything gasket mount claiming to dampen the feel.

There's no way to make "gasket mount" dampen impacts equally across the plate.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 08:28:53 »
Ergodox is perfection. It's got everything one needs 2 be digitally brilliant.

Offline sickleboom

• 12keyboards @ Instagram
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 11:23:59 »
Ultimately it depends on what you like! Some people prefer 'stiffer' feeling boards while others enjoy the flex feels. The best keyboard I tried was a friend's Kyuu built with some franken-linear switch that I forgot the name of.  :D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 September 2020, 22:02:27 »
Razer greens are the best for me. I’m sorry if y’all dislike it but I just love them

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 16:17:56 »
Best feeling is Idb60 with 62g ergo clear   ~ back when I went to a meetup in Feb it was my favorite feeling board
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Tactile

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 16:36:32 »
55 gram Realforce 87UB55
REΛLFORCE

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 September 2020, 17:45:19 »
Best feeling is Idb60 with 62g ergo clear   ~ back when I went to a meetup in Feb it was my favorite feeling board

Wanted to add to this 

It's not the best sounding board I've ever heard but it sure feels good. It was bouncy especially with those ergo clears.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 00:40:03 »
I've only tried half a dozen or so stock keyboards, but my favorite is probably the Leopold FC660M.  The combination of quality keycaps, plate, quality stabilizers, and to a lesser extent the dampening material make this really pleasurable to type on. 

In my opinion the sound also contributes a lot to the overall feel of the board.  Pick up a KBP board- they go for about 90-100 dollars-   while it feels like crap, the click of the cheap plastic just makes it worse.  I will make the argument that  you can "feel" sound.

I am also a fan of plastic cases vs aluminum.  The extra weight is unnecessary- the board is not going anywhere.  But the metal changes the feel and the sound of everything too and seems to amplify the inherrant ping in so many switches.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.