Author Topic: Was going to swap 45g domes into my new 104U but...  (Read 1855 times)

Offline 1391406

Was going to swap 45g domes into my new 104U but...
« on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 10:35:33 »
... I found that I actually really like the lighter, stock (variable) weighted domes. I thought I was going to dislike it because 1) it would be too light  2) the different weightings would be too stark and 3) wouldn't be tactile enough for me. The truth is I don't actually notice the variable weighting when I'm typing, and I'm not a touch typist, by the way. The action of the board feels really similar to my Apple Extended Keyboard (M0115) with orange Alps to me. This 104U is the silent version from Massdrop, and I have to say I really really like the silencing. So much so that I thought about buying another 104U (silent type) from EK to swap the stems and switches into my 45g uniform 87U. Crazy how things turn out sometimes.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Was going to swap 45g domes into my new 104U but...
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 10:40:51 »
I like variable Topre more than I thought also.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:13:56 »
... I found that I actually really like the lighter, stock (variable) weighted domes. I thought I was going to dislike it because 1) it would be too light  2) the different weightings would be too stark and 3) wouldn't be tactile enough for me. The truth is I don't actually notice the variable weighting when I'm typing, and I'm not a touch typist, by the way. The action of the board feels really similar to my Apple Extended Keyboard (M0115) with orange Alps to me. This 104U is the silent version from Massdrop, and I have to say I really really like the silencing. So much so that I thought about buying another 104U (silent type) from EK to swap the stems and switches into my 45g uniform 87U. Crazy how things turn out sometimes.

This is very interesting to me. I've been holding out for the 45g uniform (no stock at EK) but am seriously considering the variable weight now. I think the consensus is that it just doesn't have a good feel to it but considering how much I type per day, the variable should be in the running.

Are you actuating the lighter 30g keys by mistake? This is something I've worried about, even with my frail hands. I've also wondered about the differences in the key weightings while typing. I wonder how the overall feel is. Dammit, you've confused me further, 1391406. :)
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:33:19 »
I would only really expect some confusing in gaming, particularly FPS and if using WSAD, but even then, muscle memory adjusts incredibly quickly.

Brian has been having trouble getting the 45G 87Us. He said the shipment has been delayed at least 3 times now. He did just get in those 104U variable weight silenced board that Massdrop is also selling, so hopefully soon.

I am however using a silenced 45G board (XF140S in my sig) and it's a pretty satisfying sound. The thock of bottoming out remains, however the "clack" sound associated with keys being released is greatly diminished, almost to the point of being gone.

How do the 30G keys feel to you compared to the 45G ones when you actually pay attention and press them individually?
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:34:57 by Vittra »
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:38:01 »
I would only really expect some confusing in gaming, particularly FPS and if using WSAD, but even then, muscle memory adjusts incredibly quickly.

Brian has been having trouble getting the 45G 87Us. He said the shipment has been delayed at least 3 times now. He did just get in those 104U variable weight silenced board that Massdrop is also selling, so hopefully soon.

I am however using a silenced 45G board (XF140S in my sig) and it's a pretty satisfying sound. The thock of bottoming out remains, however the "clack" sound associated with keys being released is greatly diminished, almost to the point of being gone.

How do the 30G keys feel to you compared to the 45G ones when you actually pay attention and press them individually?

Yea, I tried my hand at RF55g and found the stroke a bit heavier than I'd like. You're right, I'm sure the variable weight might cause bad movement in FPS games but should be great for typing. 

By the way, how did you silence your 45gRF?
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline crickclackman

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:48:33 »
Variable weighting makes sense since pinkies are naturally weaker.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:54:18 »
This is very interesting to me. I've been holding out for the 45g uniform (no stock at EK) but am seriously considering the variable weight now. I think the consensus is that it just doesn't have a good feel to it but considering how much I type per day, the variable should be in the running.

The feel is undoubtedly more linear and less tactile than the 45g weighting, however my initial impression was that the lower weighting (35g+) would lack practically any tactility, but I haven't found that to be the case. Granted, the tactility of the outlying keys (Q,A,Z) is practically imperceptible, but they're not used enough to influence my perception of the typing experience. I still feel some tactility when typing, and feels more tactile than MX Reds or Browns, in my opinion. The overall weighting feels a bit closer to MX Reds than Browns to me, though, and not fatiguing at all for long typing sessions. However, if you prefer the weighting of MX Browns, you'll probably want 45g.

Are you actuating the lighter 30g keys by mistake?

Yes, I rest my fingers on the keyboard quite often and have found myself actuating keys unintentionally. It's not so often that it makes me want to stop using the keyboard, but it does happen. I'm fairly sure I'll adjust over time.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:04:07 »

If I consciously and intentionally press each one individually, the tactility is practically imperceptible and feels linear to me, especially compared to the 45g weighting. I can understand why some would label them mushy. The 30g keys on the left hand side are Q, A, and Z. For the right hand side, it's P, : (colon), / and most of the the keys to the right of those(with the exception of the modifiers).

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:09:08 »

Yea, I tried my hand at RF55g and found the stroke a bit heavier than I'd like. You're right, I'm sure the variable weight might cause bad movement in FPS games but should be great for typing. 

By the way, how did you silence your 45gRF?

Mine is a stock silenced Realforce, so the regular purple stem/silencing ring deal that they do.

It's the Leopold (Korean distribution) counterpart to the 104U Ducky Taiwan edition RF boards that recently came out that Mechanicalkeyboards.com is selling.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Altis

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:58:53 »
I've been wanting to try the variable weighting for some time. I definitely start to feel fatigue in my pinky fingers before all else, and I've found my 55g 87U to be too heavy for me to use for any extended period (the 45g uniform version has been very good though).

Nice to hear some praise for the keyboard.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Bucake

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 16:04:59 »
i had given this keyboard a few months, but i failed to get used to it.
as long as i focused, as long as i kept in mind that the keyboard is variable, it would go decent.. but as soon as i lost that focus (and actually focused on what i was typing about, or on my monitor etc) i would automatically start slamming down the keys, and that didn't feel pleasant at all.

i suppose the issue for me is that the drop in weighting is too steep.
the range is 30-45 IIRC, but maybe if the range was more like 50-55, it could work for me?

that said, i've always wondered what ~50 would feel like (anything in-between 46 and 54, really).
a real shame that topre domes aren't available, and available in more different weightings. :-)

but i definitely agree with silencing!
i love the sound of a non-silenced realforce, but i feel that the sound of silenced topre is even more in sync with how it feels like to type on the switches :-)
type-s 55g RF is just a total zen-keyboard for me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 16:24:53 by Bucake »
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red