Author Topic: [GB] Filco tenkeyless custom ATmega32u4 controller - All gone, that's it folks.  (Read 253265 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: [GB] Filco tenkeyless custom ATmega32u4 controller.
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 02:36:49 »
Whoo just got mine today!

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #451 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 06:35:35 »
I'm still waiting :))

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #452 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 06:40:48 »
I'm still waiting :))

I'm very curious on how this shipment will come out. I definitely never shipped anything anywhere close to Vietnam before. I got one on its way to Indonesia as well =)

Offline priyadi

« Reply #453 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 22:01:53 »
I'm very curious on how this shipment will come out. I definitely never shipped anything anywhere close to Vietnam before. I got one on its way to Indonesia as well =)

yeah, mine! no sight of it yet, though. anyway, before getting my hands dirty with it, is this thing brickproof?
Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #454 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 22:08:50 »
Been waiting two weeks in the USA

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #455 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 22:13:58 »
You are in the NE... wait some more :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #456 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 10:04:39 »

yeah, mine! no sight of it yet, though. anyway, before getting my hands dirty with it, is this thing brickproof?

If you mess something up, you should still be able to get it to connect to a computer by passing a magnet over it (haven't tried, but read it a few times here I think), then you could flash it with the default firmware that bpiphany provided.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #457 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 17:12:04 »
Just got mine.  I was looking at the wiki but I am still not sure as to how to go about programming it.  Can I get a detailed step by step guide?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #458 on: Wed, 07 November 2012, 17:13:51 »
'programming it' is a rather wide open question since technically you could write an entirely new firmware from scratch if you wanted to.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #459 on: Thu, 08 November 2012, 02:24:41 »
'programming it' is a rather wide open question since technically you could write an entirely new firmware from scratch if you wanted to.

I haven't started yet, but if anyone feel up to it, please help out on the wiki page =) http://deskthority.net/wiki/AVR-Keyboard

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #460 on: Thu, 08 November 2012, 23:12:55 »

Well I was thinking of disabling the left windows key and switching the caps lock to a third control key.  I was also thinking of having the LEDs alternate lighting up with each keystroke. 

What does everyone else have planned?     
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline bisl

« Reply #461 on: Thu, 08 November 2012, 23:18:58 »
The major thing I'm hoping to accomplish is turning my caps lock key into a new layer key that converts IJKL into arrow keys with 789UO some configuration of Del, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn. Thus removing the need to ever move my right hand off of home row! It'll be glorious.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #462 on: Thu, 08 November 2012, 23:19:06 »
The remapping is dead easy, recompiling afterward is harder.

The LED thing... I'm not even going there until I have my key map stuff solid with layers and other fun stuff.

I added some info to the wiki page bp started at DT re: flashing the firmware, and there's also a version of this on the GH wiki now.  http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=AVR-Keyboard

bpiphany - how do you want to handle changes to your firmware?  Should people be sending patches?  Is there a road map of stuff that you're already working on (or someone else is?) that will be rolled into the main branch?

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #463 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 02:08:11 »
The remapping is dead easy, recompiling afterward is harder.

The LED thing... I'm not even going there until I have my key map stuff solid with layers and other fun stuff.

I added some info to the wiki page bp started at DT re: flashing the firmware, and there's also a version of this on the GH wiki now.  http://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=AVR-Keyboard

bpiphany - how do you want to handle changes to your firmware?  Should people be sending patches?  Is there a road map of stuff that you're already working on (or someone else is?) that will be rolled into the main branch?
Roadmap.. that is software engineering talk. I hate software engineering =P I've been tripping over a "term paper" I need to write for a class on the subject for years now. And that is pretty much all I have left before moving onto my bachelor thesis. So I am designing keyboard PCBs instead =D That course was a joke all the way though. I've never done anything more pointless I think...

But no, I don't really have a plan. Or rather my plan was that other people would take care of the firmware work =D Someone who actually knows about AVR programming. One thing that would be really sweet is a tool that could talk serially with the keyboard updating layout and macros and stuff on the fly. I'm no where near knowing how to accomplish that though. And there are some forks of the firmware already. I haven't looked much at them, but Tranquilite0 for example added layer functionality.

There are also other AVR firmwares that should be fairly "easy" to modify the board parameters on to be usable for this. After you get to know them that is. I haven't looked into any in that great detail.

Thanks for your help on the wiki =)

It would be interesting to know more about the controllers that behave strange. Does the problem occur on other computers as well? Is it limited to some specific OS? I never had any problems myself as far as I can remember. I'm not running the controller myself... But I am using another keyboard with the "same" firmware all the time. Some controllers were not shipped with the very latest firmware either. But if these problems stem from a firmware incompatibility I think it probably lies in the usb_keyboard parts not written by me (not that I am better than that, rather I couldn't possibly have written that myself and have no idea how to debug it either =)

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #464 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 15:39:51 »
I'm planning on re-implementing layer support this or next weekend. The firmware hasn't changed much from Teensy-Keyboard to AVR-keyboard so it shouldn't be that hard.

Unfortunately we won't ever get the more fun features such as Media keys, mouse Mouse keys, and NKRO over USB until someone figures out how to modify all of the usb enumeration stuff located in usb_keyboard. Low-level USB stuff is black-magic to me.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #465 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 17:38:12 »
I'm planning on re-implementing layer support this or next weekend. The firmware hasn't changed much from Teensy-Keyboard to AVR-keyboard so it shouldn't be that hard.

Unfortunately we won't ever get the more fun features such as Media keys, mouse Mouse keys, and NKRO over USB until someone figures out how to modify all of the usb enumeration stuff located in usb_keyboard. Low-level USB stuff is black-magic to me.
you might be able to talk to hazu about that as he has all of that in his firmware.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #466 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 17:49:03 »
I am inches away from having Hasu's code working.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #467 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 19:42:41 »
I am inches away from having Hasu's code working.
nice once yo udo think yuo could make a version for the phantom as well?

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #468 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 07:06:42 »
got mine today :) thank bpiphany

Offline priyadi

« Reply #469 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 09:25:54 »
just got the package yesterday. unfortunately, the 10μF capacitor came off, and the pins on the sides were bent. no big deal, the pins straightened fine, and I'll try resoldering the capacitor tomorrow. i hope everything else are fine. it was probably not a good idea sending this off using regular mail to Indonesia, they hit it using a stamp!

bent pins:

capacitor came off:

this is probably what caused the damage:

Boards: Filco TKL+HID Liberation, Infinity 60%, Sentraq S60-X, Whitefox, Ergodox, Planck.
Member of the flat keyboard society.
Keycap manifesto: "Key sets without vendor neutral Super key are worthless"

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #470 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 11:02:12 »
Ouch that is some tough treatment... I hope it's ok otherwise. You probably don't even need the capacitor. All my previous keyboard designs have been without one. The Filco controller has one though. So I just put one on there for good measure =) And if you do re-solder it please note that the footprint is mirrored. The black band on the capacitor should be facing towards the atmega!!!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #471 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 11:24:51 »
nice bpiphany your on top of things!

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #472 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 12:26:30 »
Mine arrived yesterday, thanks bpiphany!  I didn't have time to install it; I'll do that tomorrow and then start trying to figure out some coding.  I hope I can accomplish my goal and add my favorite features of the poker 2nd layer to my filco! :D

Offline nullstring

« Reply #473 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 18:06:12 »
bpiphany,

Any thoughts on having these made for other keyboards? rosewill rk9000 and CM QFR?

Seems to me that a swede making controllers for a North America only product (rosewill) might be farfetched.
If you would release your schematic, maybe someone else could re-purpose your work for this product.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #474 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 18:13:48 »
I dont think the rosewill has a removable controller...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #475 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 19:15:42 »
I dont think the rosewill has a removable controller...

It does. It's a small daughterboard above the numpad.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #476 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 19:15:59 »
He did release the schematic actually... it's in one of his DT wiki links.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #477 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 22:34:17 »
So I got some of hasu's precious time and he helped me tremendously in getting tmk working with this controller.  Short answer:  works.

There are some interesting limitations that aren't in the documentation that I'd like to work on fixing but I'll let hasu  decide when to push the code to tmk proper in git.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #478 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 00:25:03 »
Ok, so I just finished adding multiple layer support. You can find my fork of bpiphany's source here. Mapping different layers is pretty straightforward, but a few aspects could use an explanation anyway.

Unlike my previous layer implementation, the only place you need to change things is in the layout file (ansi_iso_jis.c for the Filco controller) where you can place the function key(s). I've also implemented the function key in a number of different ways:
KEY_FN_TOGGLE - Press to toggle between layer 0/1
KEY_FN_HOLD - Hold for layer 1, release for layer 0
KEY_FN_SWITCH - Mostly like FN_HOLD, but sends you to layer 8 when pressed, and returns you to the previous layer when released. This was made so that you can get to the KEY_FN_# keys which i placed in layer 8 which will let you switch to layers 0-7. Although you can place KEY_FN_# in any layer though make sure you don't make it so you can get stuck in a layer.

These function key implementations can also be mixed, though I don't really see much reason why.

Have fun!
PS. I haven't tested this on the custom Filco controller, but it works just fine on my Phantom.
PPS. I also added a windows batch file which will do the make clean operation, because I cannot in the life of me make WinAVR's find.exe work properly.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #479 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 01:57:05 »
He did release the schematic actually... it's in one of his DT wiki links.

Thanks. I missed that somehow.

If there are any left for purchase, I would like to order one of these.

Looks like it's a 8x18 matrix.
Does anyone know if the fullsize keyboards use the same size matrix?
My guess is that this controller should work just fine connected to a rosewill board using some of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Solderless-Breadboard-Jumper-Cable-Wire-Kit-Qty70-/230877929650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c165a0b2

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #480 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 12:32:26 »
Ok, so I just finished adding multiple layer support. You can find my fork of bpiphany's source here. Mapping different layers is pretty straightforward, but a few aspects could use an explanation anyway.

Unlike my previous layer implementation, the only place you need to change things is in the layout file (ansi_iso_jis.c for the Filco controller) where you can place the function key(s). I've also implemented the function key in a number of different ways:
KEY_FN_TOGGLE - Press to toggle between layer 0/1
KEY_FN_HOLD - Hold for layer 1, release for layer 0
KEY_FN_SWITCH - Mostly like FN_HOLD, but sends you to layer 8 when pressed, and returns you to the previous layer when released. This was made so that you can get to the KEY_FN_# keys which i placed in layer 8 which will let you switch to layers 0-7. Although you can place KEY_FN_# in any layer though make sure you don't make it so you can get stuck in a layer.

These function key implementations can also be mixed, though I don't really see much reason why.

Have fun!
PS. I haven't tested this on the custom Filco controller, but it works just fine on my Phantom.
PPS. I also added a windows batch file which will do the make clean operation, because I cannot in the life of me make WinAVR's find.exe work properly.

why don't you just make a two-dimensional array out of the different layouts?
I think that would make it easier.
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #481 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 15:11:05 »
Say, hypothetically, you flashed your hid_lib, and now when you plug the keyboard in, all that happens is the LEDs flash on and off really quickly and it appears no inputs are sent.
And that you can't get it to switch into the "I can be flashed" mode by hitting both shift keys?

Any recourse for me to salvage this?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #482 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 15:36:27 »
yeah, get it into the flashing mode by using a magnet.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #483 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 15:42:21 »
yeah, get it into the flashing mode by using a magnet.

Hooray!  Thanks!

Hardware hacker, I am not. 

Cheers.

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #484 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 15:50:29 »
why don't you just make a two-dimensional array out of the different layouts?
I think that would make it easier.
I can see how using a 2D array would have have been an effective way of managing layers, but at the same time it wasn't very hard to implement it the way I did, so I'm not sure how much "easier" it would have been. Regardless, the code works well enough for me.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 November 2012, 15:52:13 by Tranquilite »

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #485 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 16:01:27 »
hasu's code is awesome and shockingly modular.  You can use the pjrc or lufa backend for USB handling, and at the front end there is converters and KB specific modules.  Gonna clean up the hid_liber section and ask him to push it into the main repo :)

For those that don't know, it's got layers (switchable and Fn style), media keys, switchable NKRO, probably some other stuff I haven't found yet.  :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #486 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 17:03:44 »
It should have mouse buttons as well as i believe we were talking about that in the DOX thread.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #487 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 17:05:28 »
Hmmmm, keyboard mouse scrolling...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #488 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 20:06:30 »
Okey, hasu has pushed my changes to his main line repo  https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard

If you need any help with this specific controller support (hid_liber), feel free to ping me.  I don't want hasu to get buried as he doesn't even have one of these to test on.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline rainbowshy

« Reply #489 on: Mon, 12 November 2012, 22:37:07 »
Ooh, I'd like one if there are leftovers.
Filco MJ2 TKL MX Brown | QPad MK-50 MX Red

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #490 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 02:49:13 »
Wednesday is the last day of my three week work period. On Thursday I'm taking a personal day, excavating my belly button and watching season 4 of Merlin =D That leaves 20 days after that to round this business up.

Offline tmk1207

• Yêu Màu Tím
    • Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club <3
« Reply #491 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 04:52:54 »
waiting .... :D

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 07:34:34 »
Three weeks since payment, still waiting...

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #493 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:19:36 »
@Tranquilite
I tried your layer implementation on the custom Filco controller and it doesn't seem to work. The keyboard is no longer recognized when using the hex file that is generated. There's little that I can offer in terms of debugging info though.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #494 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 14:34:29 »
Three weeks since payment, still waiting...

Vietnam and Indonesia received their controllers. And you can always count on USPS - being slow... Yours was shipped the same day you paid. If it doesn't turn up we will of course work it out. It's probably just homeland security installing their keylogger. You should flash a new firmware when it arrives...
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2012, 16:21:07 by bpiphany »

Offline Tranquilite

« Reply #495 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 19:26:21 »
@Tranquilite
I tried your layer implementation on the custom Filco controller and it doesn't seem to work. The keyboard is no longer recognized when using the hex file that is generated. There's little that I can offer in terms of debugging info though.

That's very strange, it works just fine for my phantom, and I didn't do anything to the hid_liber specific parts of the code except add more layer arrays. I don't own a Filco either, so I really don't have anything to go on at this point.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #496 on: Tue, 13 November 2012, 21:08:49 »
It's probably just homeland security installing their keylogger. You should flash a new firmware when it arrives...

If anyone employed by or appointed to the DHS had above a room temperature IQ and by extension had the ability to install a keylogger on it, I might be advise the same. But I guarantee its just customs being slow. Ive had many items coming from overseas enter the country within days of shipment, only to be delayed several weeks before the arrive in my hands.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #497 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 14:13:16 »
Ordered :D
I love Elzy

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #498 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 16:21:34 »
@Tranquilite

That's very strange, it works just fine for my phantom, and I didn't do anything to the hid_liber specific parts of the code except add more layer arrays. I don't own a Filco either, so I really don't have anything to go on at this point.
Ill get to testing for you tranquilite on one of my filcos I hope for the best

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #499 on: Wed, 14 November 2012, 17:54:42 »
Aaaaaaand paid :D can't wait to get this.
I love Elzy