Author Topic: Do Gazzew Boba U4T Switches interfere with Cherry Profile Keycaps?  (Read 9567 times)

Offline NotSusKeebs

Hello fellow enthusiasts!
I am fairly new to the keyboard hobby, and I recently did a build that has North-Facing LEDs (bad move on my part, in my opinion), and was thinking about buying some new GPBT Keycaps from Glorious, but they are cherry profile. I’ve heard and seen that cherry profile keycaps interfere with the switch housing on north facing boards (row 2 I think) and was wondering if since the Boba U4T Switches don’t sit flush with the housing when bottomed out, do they still interfere? I heard from a source somewhere on YouTube that they don’t, but I’m not entirely sure. I want to be certain, as for this hobby is an expensive one, and I’m not exactly made of money. Thanks in advance for anyone who answers.
Have a great day!
NotSusKeebs
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 April 2021, 16:47:44 by NotSusKeebs »

Online HungerMechanic

Re: Do Gazzew Boba U4T Switches interfere with Cherry Profile Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 17:14:40 »
I don't know the whole story, but I have read that U4T stems inside Cherry housings do conflict with GMK keycaps.

I don't know if that applies to regular U4T Boba switches in North-facing LEDs, but there can be issues when putting them stems inside Cherry MX housings.

Offline NotSusKeebs

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 17:19:22 »
I don't know the whole story, but I have read that U4T stems inside Cherry housings do conflict with GMK keycaps.

I don't know if that applies to regular U4T Boba switches in North-facing LEDs, but there can be issues when putting them stems inside Cherry MX housings.

okay, good to know. i’ve heard that for some people, they are fine but for others there is interference. i am going to buy them, and if they dont work ill probably do another build. thank you!

Online HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 20:02:37 »
I have a board with switches facing the wrong way, so I used ART BOX switches, which are supposedly immune to the issue.

[They're angled to work in either orientation without causing issues with Cherry-profile.]

I'm using ART BOX Browns on that board, and also OEM-profile keycaps, which won't conflict anyway.

Offline marianellefson

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 02:52:33 »
I have a board with switches facing the wrong way, so I used ART BOX switches, which are supposedly immune to the issue.

Interesting! I haven't thought of using ART BOX switches as a solution. Hope they will help me.

Offline WafflesPrime

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 22:14:31 »
Typing this on a board with bobas and wrong facing leds and cherry profile caps. Its fine, no issues.

Offline 02ranger

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 08:37:54 »
I have Boba U4T's and a set of Cherry profile keycaps from Amazon and they don't interfere. That being said, these are cheap keycaps and may be made thinner than GMK. I'm relatively new to the hobby and haven't wanted to put a lot of money into GMK keycaps until I build a south-facing board.

Offline ebah

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 08:30:26 »
I use U4t with gmk, no problem at all