Author Topic: Why do people pay this much for a KeyCap (Artisan) in Massdrop?  (Read 23112 times)

Offline DuckNorris

Why do people pay this much for a KeyCap (Artisan) in Massdrop?
« on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:13:15 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sparkle-loft-artisan-keycap

There are already over 300 purchased. I mean don't get me wrong, I like keyboards a lot and currently looking at my next keyboard and keycaps combo but $50 for a SINGLE keycap? I can't justify this just curious why... They cost that much to make or?

Mod Edit: GUEST MODE LINK because Massdrop likes to pretend to be exclusive https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sparkle-loft-artisan-keycap?mode=guest_open
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:32:35 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
Re: Why do people pay this much for a KeyCap (Artisan) in Massdrop?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:14:09 »

There are already 300 purchased. I mean don't get me wrong, I like keyboards a lot and currently looking at my next keyboard and keycaps combo but $50 for a SINGLE keycap? I can't justify this just curious why...

Show Image

Don't go looking up Clack Factory caps then.  :))

I think $50 for a metal keycap is more than fair. It's not easy or cheap to produce.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:15:28 »
There are several individual parts of CNC milled aluminum in a single cap.
The cost to have those produced is much higher than any of the plastic artisan caps we have on here.
If I am already paying $50 for bro caps then this is entirely reasonable.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Dongulator

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:15:52 »
Simple, they like it and think it's worth the price.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:17:40 »

There are already over 300 purchased. I mean don't get me wrong, I like keyboards a lot and currently looking at my next keyboard and keycaps combo but $50 for a SINGLE keycap? I can't justify this just curious why... They cost that much to make or?

Show Image

Seriously? This is cnc'd aluminum on a keycap which is expensive compared to the smooth on $40 resin kit which can make you 50+ keycaps

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:19:25 »

There are already 300 purchased. I mean don't get me wrong, I like keyboards a lot and currently looking at my next keyboard and keycaps combo but $50 for a SINGLE keycap? I can't justify this just curious why...

Show Image

Don't go looking up Clack Factory caps then.  :))

I think $50 for a metal keycap is more than fair. It's not easy or cheap to produce.

What I was looking for. I mean it is more of I have to know the reason why because from first glances I can't see that it would be that expensive to produce for a single keycap.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:20:22 »

Show Image

Seriously? This is cnc'd aluminum on a keycap which is expensive compared to the smooth on $40 resin kit which can make you 50+ keycaps

Yeah that is not common knowledge even for those of us who know a lot about mech keyboards etc and been buying mech keyboard for years.  :))

Even some people that spend time in the keyboard community at Massdrop don't get it or would spend on it. I wasn't attacking whomever bought this but really wanted to know why.

Not really the best explanation.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:24:21 by DuckNorris »

Offline rotciveel

• Fugu Curator Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:23:17 »
I think the total number sold includes the cheaper caps (summoning shield, hydra, shield, etc.) because MD tracks each order, not the specific reactor cap. And the cheaper caps are as low as ~$20.

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:25:39 »
I think the total number sold includes the cheaper caps (summoning shield, hydra, shield, etc.) because MD tracks each order, not the specific reactor cap. And the cheaper caps are as low as ~$20.

Yeah I thought about that too because some saw the first price of $50 and were like HELL NO without seeing the others. However, for someone starting to look into such custom keycaps ( as myself) the lower ones wouldn't be such a bad price to see you know what the fuzz is all about.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:26:09 »

Well it's a good explanation as to why the seller can list the caps at that price; it's simple business logic.
It however, does not explain why there are those willing to purchase at that price.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:29:01 »
It's like buying jewelry.   We like pretty things to place on our fingers and on our keyboards.   And cost be damned   :p

I personally think that cap is pretty cool.   

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:29:32 »

Well it's a good explanation as to why the seller can list the caps at that price; it's simple business logic.
It however, does not explain why there are those willing to purchase at that price.

Well there can be a point at which you like something a lot but logic is like no way so you wouldn't buy it. Just not a helpful reply as that can be deduced. The breakdown of the pieces and material helped out to see why the price can be there and answered my question. A lot don't know this. Now I know what MAKES them special :) .

Customers want to know what they are buying as well regardless of how much they like it. Simple business logic too :) .

It's like buying jewelry.   We like pretty things to place on our fingers and on our keyboards.   And cost be damned   :p

Yeah they look awesome but as a beginner in these sort of things it is good to learn. I think some felt like I was attacking them (one post sounded defensive).  However, even jewelry we KNOW what the worth of the material is etc why people forget here sometimes. This could help out a lot of people beginning in keyboards etc. For example, why Topres are so expensive etc but I digress.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:34:26 by DuckNorris »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:32:56 »
Simple answer: people like pretty things and people have expendable income.

Other answer: no one actually knows

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:35:54 »
I added a guest link to the OP because screw the fake exclusivity of Massdrop.  >:D

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:37:52 »
Simple answer: people like pretty things and people have expendable income.

Other answer: no one actually knows

I wouldn't have posted if I couldn't think of that myself :) . Money isn't the problem just I can now start appreciating the materials put into it etc.  A lot of people are confused why in that drop and I rather learn about it instead of dismissing it entirely :)

To whomever feels defensive about this I come in peace. (not saying you are but just in case)

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:38:40 »
I added a guest link to the OP because screw the fake exclusivity of Massdrop.  >:D

Thank you and that annoyed me too at the beginning. I know not everyone has an account but it is awesome there is a guest mode.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:45:22 »
 A CNC machine to make parts is where the cost comes from. The material itself doesn't actually cost that much but since metals require special tools, that is where the cost comes from.

Things that increase cost:
-complex curves and geometry requiring longer periods for cutting and lower tolerances
-more individual parts essentially multiplying the work by the number of parts
-anything that requires a change in the orientation of the piece being cut.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:53:15 »

Well there can be a point at which you like something a lot but logic is like no way so you wouldn't buy it. Just not a helpful reply as that can be deduced. The breakdown of the pieces and material helped out to see why the price can be there and answered my question. A lot don't know this. Now I know what MAKES them special :) .

Customers want to know what they are buying as well regardless of how much they like it. Simple business logic too :) .

Yeah they look awesome but as a beginner in these sort of things it is good to learn. I think some felt like I was attacking them (one post sounded defensive).  However, even jewelry we KNOW what the worth of the material is etc why people forget here sometimes. This could help out a lot of people beginning in keyboards etc. For example, why Topres are so expensive etc but I digress.

Topre used to be MUCH more expensive.   Just sayin'

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 14:23:18 »

Topre used to be MUCH more expensive.   Just sayin'

Oh I know , was eyeing that HHK and Realforce price for years when I was in college lol. To the new people they just see the price and not really what is under the hood...or keycaps to better say  :D

A CNC machine to make parts is where the cost comes from. The material itself doesn't actually cost that much but since metals require special tools, that is where the cost comes from.

Things that increase cost:
-complex curves and geometry requiring longer periods for cutting and lower tolerances
-more individual parts essentially multiplying the work by the number of parts
-anything that requires a change in the orientation of the piece being cut.

Interesting indeed. Wish this guy could read this to atleast better understand.   :))

(mod I took out the cuss words don't know if GH has a policy against it but just incase)
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 14:30:58 by DuckNorris »

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 14:36:21 »
lmao that's a nice rant but he probably doesn't know about work and material costs. In any case, it's a nice cap but not enough for me to buy.
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 14:47:26 »
(mod I took out the cuss words don't know if GH has a policy against it but just incase)

We have a swear filter that catches text, but obviously has no effect on images - so the censoring is appreciated.  :thumb:

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 14:50:55 »
lmao that's a nice rant but he probably doesn't know about work and material costs. In any case, it's a nice cap but not enough for me to buy.

He was really mad so I couldn't help but laugh but also at the fact that he still considered an above average price for a single keycap but not $55.  :))

We have a swear filter that catches text, but obviously has no effect on images - so the censoring is appreciated.  :thumb:
No problemo  :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 14:54:30 by DuckNorris »

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 14:59:50 »
Ehh...I don't get it, personally.

Say all you want about how much it costs to produce-- this doesn't matter, as far as I can see. I think it's a bit silly to pay $50 for this keycap whether it cost $5, $50, or $500 to produce. After all, just because something is inefficient to manufacture, doesn't mean it's actually worth the resulting price.

I might consider paying $5 for it, and if they can't manufacture it cheaply enough to sell it for $5, then I just won't buy it, and that's all there is to it.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 15:00:28 »

Say all you want about how much it costs to produce-- this doesn't matter, as far as I can see. I think it's a bit silly to pay $50 for this keycap whether it cost $5, $50, or $500 to produce. After all, just because something is inefficient to manufacture, doesn't mean it's actually worth the resulting price.

I might consider paying $5 for it, and if they can't manufacture it cheaply enough to sell it for $5, then I just won't buy it, and that's all there is to it.

And that's a valid opinion.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 15:32:36 »

So you're basically not a keycap collector?   Check.   There's something for everyone here on GH.   Whether you're happiest buying keycap sets, or collecting vintage boards or building custom kits ..... just do whatever makes you happy.   I enjoy artisan keycaps ..... doesn't always need to make total sense. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 15:55:18 »
There are a lot of factors that go into one's decision to purchase luxury items. Not all of them are rational.

Look at the diamond industry. Diamonds are not rare in nature. But thanks to cartels who control prices and a culture that has been convinced that diamonds are highly desireable, you have people paying orders of magnitude more than the stones would otherwise be worth. Look at all the marketing that is going into trying to make "chocolate diamonds" the latest must-have variety. Those ads don't want you to know that brown diamonds are the most common and least valuable of all of them, but you throw on the word "chocolate" and make them sound prestigious somehow, and the largely uninformed masses will get sucked right in.

The comparison between artisan keycaps and jewelry (or gemstones) is a pretty good one. I'm not into either, but lots of people are. They want this stuff, for whatever reason, and there are manufacturers ready to cater to the demand. When it comes to such things, the cost to produce rarely bears any relationship to what buyers are willing to pay, because how much one is willing to pay is only really governed by how badly one wants it.

The reasons why people want such things, and in some cases want them badly, are many and varied and can't necessarily be explained logically.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 17:39:05 »
why do people pay this much for a keybaord on geekhack?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:00:06 »
why do people pay this much for a keybaord on geekhack?

Because China.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:05:33 »
Why do birds suddenly appear?
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:48:01 »
Why do birds suddenly appear?

To poop on your keyboards. Heard they are specially attracted to Filcos. Especially the MJ2 TKL...with reds.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 20:56:24 »
50 bucks for a multi-part CNC cap seems about right. Doesn't look half bad either

Offline Hispes

• ISYMFS
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 21:37:37 »
There is no real rhyme or reason. Value and worth are subjective.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:01:54 »
From my perspective I see it as you're paying for something shiny that will also hold up to the daily grime. The switch plate needs to be rigid (maybe slight flex) but it doesn't have to withstand natural oils etc. Same goes for the case of the keyboard.

That's my take on artisan sand blasted aluminum (aircraft aluminum?) key caps. I just assume they're better quality because no one seems to mention the durability. Not that I would want one, but I can see the appeal.

SLA 3D printers and sand blasting/CNC is also expensive as ****

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:09:55 »
This thread is dumb.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:11:20 »
This thread is dumb.

Show Image

We all know this.
OP wants to know why the demand is there.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:12:53 »
This thread is dumb.

Show Image

We all know this.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:14:02 »
This thread is dumb.

Show Image

We all know this.

In this particular case though it's a little more than supply and demand. The cost of manufacturing and supplies is actually quite high.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:17:28 »
This thread is dumb.

Show Image

We all know this.

In this particular case though it's a little more than supply and demand. The cost of manufacturing and supplies is actually quite high.

Higher marginal cost means minimum price that suppliers are willing to supply at will increase, so supply curve shifts.

So marginal cost is part of supply and demand question.

Offline Sissy

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 23:04:30 »
Because they want it?
I dont think there is much else of a reason to this

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 23:30:19 »
This thread is dumb.

Show Image

So are you since your answer wasn't as relevant as the others who actually bothered to explain the product and tried to understand the post.

I know how economics work but good attempt at trying to look smart. Thanks for the others who helped me learn about the keycaps and the materials and process hence the post wasn't dumb.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2016, 23:34:35 by DuckNorris »

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 23:41:10 »
Artisans are the new black

Offline DuckNorris

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:12:12 »
Artisans are the new black

Yeah at first the price discourages but after learning what makes them up and process makes me see why they are so special and the price tag for a single keycap(aside from them looking extra nice).

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 00:27:01 »
Keyboard jewelry made of quality materials.  ;D

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 03:53:42 »

You're asking yourself a question, you answer it, and then you feel proud for your own answer.

Do you like the design? Yes
Does the material and the technique play a big part in what makes the design beautiful? Yes
Can it be made cheaper? Not likely
In this case the keycap is worth $50

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 20:21:20 »
This thread is dumb.

Show Image

So are you since your answer wasn't as relevant as the others who actually bothered to explain the product and tried to understand the post.

I know how economics work but good attempt at trying to look smart. Thanks for the others who helped me learn about the keycaps and the materials and process hence the post wasn't dumb.

Honestly at the end of the day the price might not be justified. After how many sales is investment returned? That depends on each specific cap. Some artisan makers are probably making bank, some are changing designs every week. Just wanted to add my two cents that while other answers more have been more "constructive" from your point of view, some poured caps which only used cnc for the molds have gone for thousands. It's just nerds throwing cash around, same reason A LOT of Magic the Gathering cards are worth tens, hundreds or thousands. You won't find a more real answer than economics. Worth is always subjective.

edit for clarity: afaik most makers have sold at $5-$50; only aftermarket gets so crazy. In the case of these specific caps my initial statement stands.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 11:10:54 »
People pay hundreds and even thousands of dollars for digital goods all the time, why does $55 for a keycap made of multiple CNC crafted pieces seem so absurd?  If you don't think it's worth it, don't buy it.  I don't think $300 for a CS:GO knife skin is worth it, so I don't buy it.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 11:16:43 »
I spent a good amount of time playing an MMORPG filled with people paying $150+ per month on gear maintenance. I'd rather have a physical object built to last rather than a virtual object in a game.

Offline AwSmCreator

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 07:19:13 »
It's an Arc Reactor... on your keyboard... for only $50. The real question is how can you afford not to buy it?

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 25 February 2016, 23:55:41 »
I think the demand is there because from what I know, artisan sales usually have a barrier of luck/chance or timing to them which prevent guarantees; by removing this (or exponentially increasing available time) you see increased demand; "wow, I can get an artisan for nearly the price of other artisans without needing luck or timing!". This isn't the first time this has happened (girlDC caps) but it might be the first time it has become widespread due to equilibrium supply/demand logic, along with more competitive marketing of artisan keycaps in general.

TL;DR - I think people are paying this much for 2 reasons: one, it's an artisan! wow! and two, prices matching expected quality/quantity and demand.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 February 2016, 23:57:42 by jerue »