Author Topic: Make a cheap Taobao acrylic case low profile?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
Make a cheap Taobao acrylic case low profile?
« on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 01:57:15 »
Hey guys. Its the guy who spammed the forums with his (now fixed) B.FACE build! :p

So i have this case and would like tio make it low profile like tex cases. Currently the pcb is recessed several milimeters inside the case. I own a dremel, can i do anything?

[side note: it came pre cutout with spaces for bottom rgb leds!!]

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Make a cheap Taobao acrylic case low profile?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 September 2016, 03:30:06 »
Can a dremel cut plastic?  Yes, but that's a huge oversimplification...

Depending how much you need to cut off the options would be a big cutting disk (bigger means it's easier to notice it's not perfectly in line with the cut you want and harder to go off line once you've started cutting, but be warned big disks are more fragile.  I usually use around 2" or 5cm carbon ones but that was for metal...) or going round the whole thing with a grinding bit which will require a lot of concentration, patience and some good headphones/earplugs.  Lose concentration and press too hard in one spot and you've got a dent in the lip when you're done.

Either way be prepared for lots of dust and/or shards of plastic flying everywhere :))

The other problem is it's plastic, and plastic melts.  If you have a enough unwanted material at the top and are committed to doing this you should experiment and find the right speed setting for the job.

Once the shortening is complete you'll want a big sheet of fine sandpaper (plus coarse and medium if you used the grinder option) and a glass table to smooth the cut edge and maybe round the outer edges slightly, and maybe a lick of flame from a mini torch or blue flamed lighter to shine it up - again, test what happens on a bit you cut off as a test, and do it outside as there may be fumes.

Good luck!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod