Author Topic: [IC] PBT STEM  (Read 16420 times)

Offline Gtrx

[IC] PBT STEM
« on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:00:31 »

Keyboard: Polaris by Ai03
Welcome to PBT STEM a collaborative project between SomeGreekGuy and Gtrx!

Design

Over 40 years have passed since the original Space Cadet keyboard was dropped off at MIT, where students used Lisp to solve mathematical equations. Although an eon ago regarding technological advancements, humanity’s understanding of the cosmos has also drastically increased. PBT STEM draws inspiration from the Symbolics Space Cadet keyboard and expands the symbols more to cater less the use of Lisp users, and more towards more modern academic user.

Kits have been designed with 3 goals in mind, compatibility, small number of kits and affordability.

Base Kit
The base kit covers most popular layouts (60%, HHKB, 75%, 65%, TKL, fullsize, 1800).

Spacebar Kit
This spacebar kit is like any other spacebar kit, but also supports split keyboards.

Greek sublegends
This is a second alpha kit with greek sublegends.

Vendors
EU: none yet
US: none yet
Canada: none yet
Asia: none yet
Oceania: none yet
Renders
More will be added soontm

Keyboard: Polaris by Ai03

Keyboard: Cygnus by Pheonixstarr

Keyboard: Hbcp by hiney

Keyset Interest Check Form

Credits

Ai03: Polaris 3d model
Hiney: hbcp 3d model
Pheonixstarr: Cygnus 3d model
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 September 2020, 13:57:43 by Gtrx »

Offline pngu

• send noots
Re: GMK STEM
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:01:52 »
errrr so is this GMK or PBT

Offline dimo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:03:04 »
yoot

Offline quaddepos

Re: [IC] PBT STEM
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:03:23 »
Looks nice, but not big fan of the icons personally. Also is this GMK or PBT?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:03:49 »
errrr so is this GMK or PBT

PBT I messed up the title :(

Offline quaddepos

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:04:10 »

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:04:15 »
Looks nice, but not big fan of the icons personally. Also is this GMK or PBT?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

PBT, messed up the title, sorry for the confusion. GMK would cost wayy too much for this, as custom molds would need to be made for most of the caps...

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:08:24 »
So, I'm not much interested on the base kit, but reeeeally interested on the Greek sublegends kit. But this kit is not the complete alphas. And I don't if I'll have some set to complete it, don't want to mix abs with pbt as well (if I happen to have some GMK that would fit this). So what I'm wanting to ask is, can you guys make the greek sublegends kits a whole alphas kit? I would 100% get one of this.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:12:13 »
So, I'm not much interested on the base kit, but reeeeally interested on the Greek sublegends kit. But this kit is not the complete alphas. And I don't if I'll have some set to complete it, don't want to mix abs with pbt as well (if I happen to have some GMK that would fit this). So what I'm wanting to ask is, can you guys make the greek sublegends kits a whole alphas kit? I would 100% get one of this.

The entire set is pbt. Sorry for the initial confusion with the title

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:15:54 »
This looks yummy. Maybe CRP?

Offline Vireca

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:16:32 »
2 things

I dont like the alphas, would like this with just standard alphas.
I dont know who is the factory, but if they can reach a real black with PBT and reverse dyesub thats amazing.

Saying this, a real black and standard alphas will get a buy from me. Also, I hope those little spacebars will be convex and not flat and I would like to see ortho/40s compatibility too

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:18:33 »
Since this is PBT it will be that reverse dye sub sorta technique where they dye the base around legend?

Or is someone doubleshotting PBT now?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:37:49 »
Since this is PBT it will be that reverse dye sub sorta technique where they dye the base around legend?

Or is someone doubleshotting PBT now?

It's most likely going to be pad printed or dye subbed, as injection molded will be far too expensive
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:42:23 by Gtrx »

Offline helborne

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:41:42 »
I like this a lot. Don't listen to the whiners about English alphabet legends. WoB has been done to death. Keep the math vision strong.

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:58:01 »
Lovely set! Gimme 10

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Offline Capsy

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:58:36 »
Love the idea. Couple of things:

1) I don't think you can achieve a really dark black with PBT. KBDFans really struggled with the kuro shiro ones. So GMK might be the way to go with here.
2) Excellent theme. The alphas look exciting (both of them) but the nav cluster/esc being text looks out of place. They should be all icon.

Offline Scucka

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:00:50 »

1) I don't think you can achieve a really dark black with PBT. KBDFans really struggled with the kuro shiro ones. So GMK might be the way to go with here.
2) Excellent theme. The alphas look exciting (both of them) but the nav cluster/esc being text looks out of place. They should be all icon.
those greek won't be able to achieve with gmk

Offline Capsy

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:09:36 »

Yeah would require new molds but given the idea is really good (IMO), why not go all the way.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:21:14 »

Yeah would require new molds but given the idea is really good (IMO), why not go all the way.
Because the prices will be insane. custom molds would have to be made for all the alphas and pretty much all of the mods. This is going to be speculation, but I think that an moq of 1000 would have to be reached for the base kit to have slightly above normal pricing. think 140-150 $ with an moq of 1000.

Offline Capsy

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:24:07 »

Because the prices will be insane. custom molds would have to be made for all the alphas and pretty much all of the mods. This is going to be speculation, but I think that an moq of 1000 would have to be reached for the base kit to have slightly above normal pricing. think 140-150 $ with an moq of 1000.
Fair enough. I think ASCII was priced at 500 MoQ. Lunar at 250. But yes, they were a bit expensive.

Offline krikun98

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:31:50 »
Looks great! 40s kit?

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:32:25 »
Looks great! 40s kit?

If theres enough interest...

Offline kryt

• I wish it was Christmas today
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 15:14:46 »
I am in love with the Greek sub legends kit, mainly because of my affinity to math, but I really would prefer a complete alphas set so that i could mix this set with another. I really love the idea and I really just want this to be successful, good luck!

Offline trg1234

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 15:28:16 »
I'm interested in the set, but as it stands would not pick up. I would reconsider into investing time and effort into new molds to make it a gmk set. You can reduce the amount of money it takes by opting into standard icon mods. gmk masterpiece recently launched and I think that base kit is priced extremely nicely, and I don't think its 1k moq. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this. PBT options are rare, and too many errors occur with them as it stands.

Edit: from dvorcol's graph it looks like 500 moq

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 15:41:48 »
I'm interested in the set, but as it stands would not pick up. I would reconsider into investing time and effort into new molds to make it a gmk set. You can reduce the amount of money it takes by opting into standard icon mods. gmk masterpiece recently launched and I think that base kit is priced extremely nicely, and I don't think its 1k moq. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this. PBT options are rare, and too many errors occur with them as it stands.

Edit: from dvorcol's graph it looks like 500 moq

GMK probably wont be done, as this set probably wouldn't reach 500 moq with gmk pricing. Also, we want to make the set affordable, which wouldn't be possible with gmk.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 19:33:50 »
love it. what are peoples' thoughts on icon nav cluster & esc and roman numerals for the f row? to rid ourselves of latin characters once and for all!

would love to see r3 = and r2 + for the numpad but i might be the only one

whatre the sizes of the spacebar kit? i have a hard time telling without labels

Offline Cosarh

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 19:42:08 »
Seems like a promising concept, but maybe add latin sublegends?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 19:42:42 »
second row is 2, 2, 1.75 1, 1
pretty sure the third row is 2.25, 2.75, 1.25
6u center/off center

Is the first row...more 1.75s? y tho

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 20:39:07 »
I love the idea of this, but as others have pointed out, I think GMK would have a much bigger acceptance on the community than PBT, especially given how reverse dyesubbing is an essential part of this set, and there currently doesn't stand a custom manufacturer currently that makes crisp reverse dye-sub legends (given how hard the process is) for cherry/OEM profile at least.

My opinion would be to move what is distinctive about the set (the alphas in base kit) into an alphas-only child kit set, with a possible BoW variant both at 250 MOQ given the popularity of both sets (see: GMK Zhuyin). Otherwise, running the the base kit with traditional mods @ 500 MOQ could be an option as well. Higher MOQ means there's a smaller price burden for custom moulds which would make it cheaper for the kits to run, though there's always the issue with buying out kits to MOQ if it fails to reach it naturally; which is why alphas kit(s) might be more appealing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2020, 20:45:22 by Agilr »

Offline Solotov

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 23:29:17 »
This is so nice. I love it. How about EnjoyPBT ABS or JTK?
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 02:43:33 »

From what I've seen, Epbt ABS is horrible legend wise. JTK could be an option.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 02:48:41 »
I love the idea of this, but as others have pointed out, I think GMK would have a much bigger acceptance on the community than PBT, especially given how reverse dyesubbing is an essential part of this set, and there currently doesn't stand a custom manufacturer currently that makes crisp reverse dye-sub legends (given how hard the process is) for cherry/OEM profile at least.

My opinion would be to move what is distinctive about the set (the alphas in base kit) into an alphas-only child kit set, with a possible BoW variant both at 250 MOQ given the popularity of both sets (see: GMK Zhuyin). Otherwise, running the the base kit with traditional mods @ 500 MOQ could be an option as well. Higher MOQ means there's a smaller price burden for custom moulds which would make it cheaper for the kits to run, though there's always the issue with buying out kits to MOQ if it fails to reach it naturally; which is why alphas kit(s) might be more appealing.

Fair point, GMK might be a very strong option if we don't manage to find a manufacturer that can do a bow set like this reliably with pbt. In the future, we plan to contact infinikey, epbt and keyreative. This is going to be some more speculation, but if keyreative can use the same process as for KAT for cherry profile, WOB might come out nice with pbt.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 03:03:07 »
Big fan of this.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 04:26:16 »
I would like this a lot more if it used more standard modifiers. Whether icon or icon plus text.

Even if I like these alphas, with the rest of the set being unappealing, it'd be hard to justify the set.

Offline zakatak

• no cash
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 04:47:15 »

is infinikey your main option if this is staying pbt?

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 05:32:18 »

Fair point, GMK might be a very strong option if we don't manage to find a manufacturer that can do a bow set like this reliably with pbt. In the future, we plan to contact infinikey, epbt and keyreative. This is going to be some more speculation, but if keyreative can use the same process as for KAT for cherry profile, WOB might come out nice with pbt.

If Keyreactive are able to make cherry profile with their current dyesubbing quality, it would be a game-changer for the community for sure given their proven quality in KAT sets.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 05:33:52 by Agilr »

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 08:22:42 »
LOVE the Greek sublegends alphas! Even more so that it's not yet-another-GMK-set.

Offline Gtrx

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 13:34:26 »
I would like this a lot more if it used more standard modifiers. Whether icon or icon plus text.

Even if I like these alphas, with the rest of the set being unappealing, it'd be hard to justify the set.
We're still deciding about mods. Those aren't final.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 21:18:08 »
If Keyreactive are able to make cherry profile with their current dyesubbing quality, it would be a game-changer for the community for sure given their proven quality in KAT sets.

Proven? I wouldn't say so. At least not in terms of reverse/all-over dye sub. No custom KAT sets have actually shipped yet; Milkshake will be the first.

As an owner of KAM Starry Night, I can say that the reverse dye sub on the black novelties is pretty good, which is promising. But since that's only a couple of keys and we don't know how many of them failed QC, I'll be reserving my judgment until I see a full reverse dye sub set from Keyreative.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 May 2020, 21:22:26 by konstantin »

Offline rath_k

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 21:27:05 »
As a fellow math nerd I really like the alpha kits as they are now! I'd definitely be in for this since I'm also hyped for more PBT WoB sets. Depending on the quality of infinitykey WoB that comes out in summer you can think about them as a potential manufacturer.

Offline dibkib

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 02:46:16 »
I really like this, will follow for updates

Offline Solotov

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 13:09:55 »

JTK STEM let's gooo. Also, I think ∞ is a must have key :p
Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 13:48:39 »
Welcome to PBT STEM a collaborative project between SomeGreekGuy and Gtrx!

This is awesome, I have wished for a set like this, thank you!  :thumb:

The Greek sublegends kit looks good. However, it would be really cool with Greek alphas and old school latin subletting, after all a lot of "STEM" has been written in Latin, one example is the classic Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica by Newton. I guess a classic Latin alphabet with Greek subletting would be awesome as well!

Now once I'm at it, it would ideally be so neat with a white/ivory version also!

JTK STEM let's gooo. Also, I think ∞ is a must have key :p

Yes  :D

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 13:55:44 »

They can make new molds like they did with JP legends and Space Cadet.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 00:43:28 »

They can make new molds like they did with JP legends and Space Cadet.
Indeed. For what's it worth, GMK will also have had experience with Greek once GMK Greek Beige add-on kit production is finished.

Offline Orokul

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 11:39:30 »
Have you considered making a kit with just the modifiers? If so I would definitely get that!

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 12:53:44 »
Looks great! 40s kit?

If theres enough interest...

I am only interested in 40s support. Mark me down for that please.  :thumb:

Offline horchata771

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 02:51:07 »
I love this!! Always wished there were more STEM kits around.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 July 2020, 16:18:27 by horchata771 »

Offline FireLock

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 04:55:33 »
I love this immensely, please consider a NorDe kit!

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Offline Convergence

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 05:28:52 »
Will this set be made through Infinikey or EnjoyPBT?