Author Topic: FAQ and Question Corner  (Read 15942 times)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
FAQ and Question Corner
« on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:07:41 »
Purpose of this thread is to host a FAQ :)

Ask questions and get answers while simultaneously building the FAQ.

Post 1 will be updated frequently as better/MOAR questions and answers are added.

Q. How do you decide what awesome art goes on each package?

A. Each piece of art is a small labor of love.  I am usually in the middle of listening to some music w/markers in hand and I'll have the mound of blank packages next to me.  The music really helps inspire a piece.  I'll get a very clear image of something in my head, and I'll try to render it.  I don't have any problems making a bunch of them because it's easy to just keep rendering pictures if I don't get too focused on a theme.  Limiting myself from drawing certain things would probably make it much less enjoyable.

Q. do you announce your sales or does it just go on sale randomly?

A.  On my website https://Bingecap.com there is a newsletter.  If anyone signs up for the newsletter they must remember to look for a confirmation e-mail in their inbox or spam folder!  Before each sale I release a date+time notice, and I also hint about keycap colors.  If there happens to be a random sale posted on GH or reddit uannounced then that is fine as well, but my track record shows that most of my sales are announced.

Q. I wanted to attempt making keycaps but I don't know what materials to buy. I've looked at guides and logs but I'm still not entirely sure. What do you recommend?

A. Most big name casting supplies will be fine for starting out.  Go with what you can most easily afford.  I make note of tons of preferences I have for materials in my OG thread, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46284.0. I wouldn't start to experiment with expensive materials until you've at least got machinery to prevent defects.  It's a shame to waste high $$$ materials without the right tools.  While I have experience with using casting tools I am by no means an expert so I will not be posting any DIY guides on how to rig a setup.  mkawa, geekhack admin, has been more than kind enough to share his expertise with tools, and I would suggest if you have a serious interest to reach out to him.  Be prepared to spend $500-$1500 on the low end for a safe setup.

Q. When will you have more hoots?

A. The Hoot is no longer being made.  My wife is not helping me any longer, and that was her mold/design. Hoot is still no longer being made.

Q. Do you plan on [_________________]?

A.  The most I can afford to plan ahead and share publicly is 48 hours.  If you ask me this I'll let you know about my plans within 48 hours.  Most of the time the answer will be no.  My family life comes first caps come 10th or 12th.

Q. How do you...?
  1. Cast multiple colors
  2. Get this color
  3. Use effect powders
  4. Operate this equipment

A. Here goes!
  1. I'd love to tell you about it if we ever meet in person.
  2. See.. now you're getting too personal.  I use polymeric colorants which bond to the polyol in the resin's chemical makeup.  Usually I mix these from basic colors like RYB/CMY/K/W.
  3. Seriously? Pour & Stir
  4. I'm not qualified to instruct someone on doing this.  Pressure casting is as safe as the knowledge and tools you possess, so please consult with a licensed professional or wait until I have 10-15 years experience before trusting me with your life.

Q. Will you be PMing us or email with Tracking info?

A. Always e-mail tracking notifications.

Q. What was your inspiration for slow-fi? Did you see any sloths in person for his design?

A. Slo-Fi was a laughing fit over a pun turned into a 10 minute sculpting seizure(figurative seizure...).  The entire time I was laughing from the pun.  My fiancee (now Wifu) thought I was troubled, and the sculpture was done well before the substance could set beyond the consistency of tooth-paste.  It was too wet to hold up against gravity and so his chilled, laid back, attitude comes from the epoxy settling as it dried.  The entire character came from my bad bad bad brain.

Sale Specific Q&A

Hyper Hyperfuse Hype Sticker Raffle
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 September 2015, 16:38:16 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: FAQ and Question Corner
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:19:55 »
What is this? :eek:
?
First question.....how do you decide what awesome art goes on what package?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:25:08 »
What is this? :eek:
?
First question.....how do you decide what awesome art goes on what package?

Q. How do you decide what awesome art goes on each package?

A. Each piece of art is a small labor of love.  I am usually in the middle of listening to some music w/markers in hand and I'll have the mound of blank packages next to me.  The music really helps inspire a piece.  I'll get a very clear image of something in my head, and I'll try to render it.  I don't have any problems making a bunch of them because it's easy to just keep rendering pictures if I don't get too focused on a theme.  Limiting myself from drawing certain things would probably make it much less enjoyable.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:48:26 »
Let's settle this once and for all.  Is LumberChap based on SpamRay, myself, or some other fine bearded gent?

It's okay, you can say it's Ray.  :P

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:50:22 »
Another one/three.

How many fn caps did you make?  Did you intend for them to be so limited, despite high demand, or was that accidental?  Did the lack of a sculpture on them have any influence on your decision to stop making them (ie, it wasn't as interesting, artistically)?

Offline theteam

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:52:50 »
as a new person who recently to follow artisan keycaps, do you announce your sales or does it just go on sale randomly?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 12:53:12 »
What happened to the Sifo-M Mint line of colours? Was it discontinued after realizing Sifo isn't pronounced that way?
I love Elzy

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 13:06:48 »
Let's settle this once and for all.  Is LumberChap based on SpamRay, myself, or some other fine bearded gent?

I've been wondering this too..

What happened to the Sifo-M Mint line of colours? Was it discontinued after realizing Sifo isn't pronounced that way?

After that, I think you kinda have to pronounce it that way, it's too good to change back

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 13:13:13 »

It's okay, you can say it's Ray.  :p

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

well this is spamray...so..... :))

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 13:20:42 »

Q. Is LumberChap based on SpamRay, myself, or some other fine bearded gent?

A. LumberChap is inspired by meeting you in person and the 1969 classic comedy Lumberjack song written and performed by Terry Jones, Michael Palin, and Fred Tomlinson.

Another one/three.

How many fn caps did you make?  Did you intend for them to be so limited, despite high demand, or was that accidental?  Did the lack of a sculpture on them have any influence on your decision to stop making them (ie, it wasn't as interesting, artistically)?

Q. How many fn caps did you make?  Did you intend for them to be so limited, despite high demand, or was that accidental?  Did the lack of a sculpture on them have any influence on your decision to stop making them (ie, it wasn't as interesting, artistically)

A. I have no idea how many I made but it was less than 20.  There was initially a demand, and so I made a mold to see what happened.  After the mold self destructed I stopped making the key because it was never intended to be anything beyond an experiment.  Despite the success I believe FN keys are awesome but they still need to be more interesting for me to stay invested in the time it takes to make a key.

as a new person who recently to follow artisan keycaps, do you announce your sales or does it just go on sale randomly?

Q. do you announce your sales or does it just go on sale randomly?

A.  On my website https://Bingecap.com there is a newsletter.  If anyone signs up for the newsletter they must remember to look for a confirmation e-mail in their inbox or spam folder!  Before each sale I release a date+time notice, and I also hint about keycap colors.  If there happens to be a random sale posted on GH or reddit uannounced then that is fine as well, but my track record shows that most of my sales are announced.

Q. What happened to the Sifo-M Mint line of colours? Was it discontinued after realizing Sifo isn't pronounced that way?

A. The name changed to Mint/Seafoam to prevent confusion with folks who were not part of Geekhack.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 July 2014, 13:28:24 by Binge »

Offline KaboomTheory

• Shrek is love, Shrek is life
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:16:41 »
I wanted to attempt making keycaps but I don't know what materials to buy. I've looked at guides and logs but I'm still not entirely sure. What do you recommend?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:53:56 »
I wanted to attempt making keycaps but I don't know what materials to buy. I've looked at guides and logs but I'm still not entirely sure. What do you recommend?

Q. I wanted to attempt making keycaps but I don't know what materials to buy. I've looked at guides and logs but I'm still not entirely sure. What do you recommend?

A. Most big name casting supplies will be fine for starting out.  Go with what you can most easily afford.  I make note of tons of preferences I have for materials in my OG thread, http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46284.0. I wouldn't start to experiment with expensive materials until you've at least got machinery to prevent defects.  It's a shame to waste high $$$ materials without the right tools.  While I have experience with using casting tools I am by no means an expert so I will not be posting any DIY guides on how to rig a setup.  mkawa, geekhack admin, has been more than kind enough to share his expertise with tools, and I would suggest if you have a serious interest to reach out to him.  Be prepared to spend $500-$1500 on the low end for a safe setup.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 15:53:22 »

Sir. Binge,

Did you ever release this cap? Its awesome! Backstory please
sell out and eat ass

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 10:39:16 »
Show Image

Sir. Binge,

Did you ever release this cap? Its awesome! Backstory please

Nope!  This guy never made it into production.  He was my first, very very first, keycap made by grinding back a normal key with my dremel and using green stuff.  I've always wanted to make a face key that was more human like, and I've really yet to find the right design.

Previously I even made comedy and tragedy faces, but they were a flop :(

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:27:35 »
are you ever going to make the cthulu keycaps again?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 11:20:22 »

He's one of my favorites!  of course I will keep making him.

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 02:09:12 »

Yesssssss i can't wait! Do you have any plans on when you're going to have another sale? Or are you still getting all the marriage stuff done? :p

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:15:42 »

Yesssssss i can't wait! Do you have any plans on when you're going to have another sale? Or are you still getting all the marriage stuff done? :p

I want to have a sale before the end of the year.  It will have to be big, and I want to use some of my favorite color combinations and effects.  That being said Keythulhu V3 and Orc Trooper should have finished molds by then.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:16:55 »

I want to have a sale before the end of the year.  It will have to be big, and I want to use some of my favorite color combinations and effects.  That being said Keythulhu V3 and Orc Trooper should have finished molds by then.

Orc Trooper.....now I'm gonna have to pay attention. :eek:

Offline Lingj

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 11:18:36 »

Ooooh new Keythulu revision. Would you reveal any changes to it?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 13:27:37 »

Orc Trooper.....now I'm gonna have to pay attention. :eek:

still working on him,

Ooooh new Keythulu revision. Would you reveal any changes to it?

Oh yeah I'll definitely post some pictures :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 September 2014, 13:34:50 by Binge »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 17:28:50 »
I want to use some of my favorite color combinations and effects.

When can I expect my car load of Very Very Blue and Very Very Sky Blue Bingecaps to arrive?

Offline Lingj

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 17:41:11 »
I want to use some of my favorite color combinations and effects.

When can I expect my car load of Very Very Blue and Very Very Sky Blue Bingecaps to arrive?

I am also in on this.  :))

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 04:34:26 »
Hi Binge, always a pleasure to chat with you.

Do you plan to re-issue old but gold classics like the orange on grey grizzlies? Gotta love the orange bears!

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:16:23 »

Do you plan to re-issue old but gold classics like the orange on grey grizzlies? Gotta love the orange bears!

If I retire a design it is very rare that new ones will be made.  If that were to happen I would make a new sculpture.  The bears sculpts are so old and I have no idea how they've held up.

In the near future going into next year expect to see, Orc Trooper, Lion Keyng V3, Keythulhu V3, Smiling Jack, and Space Bear.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:26:16 »

If I retire a design it is very rare that new ones will be made.  If that were to happen I would make a new sculpture.  The bears sculpts are so old and I have no idea how they've held up.

In the near future going into next year expect to see, Orc Trooper, Lion Keyng V3, Keythulhu V3, Smiling Jack, and Space Bear.

What's the feasibility of using a cast cap to recreate the mould?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:29:40 »

What's the feasibility of using a cast cap to recreate the mould?

It's entirely possible, but the more you make copies from copies there will be issues with small details.  Making a copy from a copy of the original is not bad/hardly noticeable.

Offline abandoner

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:04:37 »

Space Bear  :eek: Can we get a peek of that?

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 14:16:55 »

can we get confirmation that you indeed said a mother****ing "SPACE BEAR" and not mistyped space bar.
sell out and eat ass

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 15:01:01 »

can we get confirmation that you indeed said a mother****ing "SPACE BEAR" and not mistyped space bar.
+1
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 16:02:45 »

Confirmed.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 18:55:33 »
Orange space bear, do want.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 10:24:21 »

Dang all of these sound awesome... I was especially wondering when we'd see the Orc Trooper, but new Lion Keyngs, Keythulhus and a Space Bear?!  :eek: sick!
smiling jack still freaks me out a little but he's cool too
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 14:53:10 »
Hey guys, I know there has not been much activity.  I'm draggin but I've received this question a lot.

When will you have more hoots?

The answer is that the Hoot is no longer being made.  My wife is not helping me any longer, and that was her mold/design.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 15:05:28 »
Hey guys, I know there has not been much activity.  I'm draggin but I've received this question a lot.

When will you have more hoots?

The answer is that the Hoot is no longer being made.  My wife is not helping me any longer, and that was her mold/design.

:'(  RIP Hoot.  MFW when Hipster still has them all too.  :( :))

At any rate, tell your wife thank you for the design.  :)  It was is a lovely cap, still bummed I never got one, but the pictures are enough.   :thumb:   <3 u Mrs. Binge. (but not in a weird way)

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 26 November 2014, 16:38:00 »
Little contest going on here, https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59329.msg1546379#msg1546379

Free Bingecap on the line folks.  Anyone can enter.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 14:14:01 »
I assume you meant that I should ask here from Reddit

Will there be anotuer chance for spacebars with the upcoming green or sale?

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 14:17:09 »
I assume you meant that I should ask here from Reddit

Will there be anotuer chance for spacebars with the upcoming green or sale?

Yes!  Ask your questions here!  Spacebears are being remolded.  They may not have a place in this green sale if I am unable to get a satisfactory mold.

Offline blazzo

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 03:35:18 »
Spacebears are being remolded.

Spacebears

I would definitely want to buy a Space Bear keycap :D
Filco MJ2 + Novatouch

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 16:53:25 »

A. The Hoot is no longer being made.  My wife is not helping me any longer, and that was her mold/design.
Is this still valid? You said, your wife was helping you with your recent sale. ;)

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 16:54:39 »

A. The Hoot is no longer being made.  My wife is not helping me any longer, and that was her mold/design.
Is this still valid? You said, your wife was helping you with your recent sale. ;)

Still entirely valid.  Hoots are 100% discontinued.  Not like slo-fi discontinued pending interest.  Discontinued.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 18:52:19 »
What was your inspiration for slow-fi? Did you see any sloths in person for his design?
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 19:35:42 »
What was your inspiration for slow-fi? Did you see any sloths in person for his design?

Ooh this is a good story but I'll let binge decide if he wants to share.

#hype
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Binge

• Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 19:59:05 »

Q. What was your inspiration for slow-fi? Did you see any sloths in person for his design?

A. Slo-Fi was a laughing fit over a pun turned into a 10 minute sculpting seizure(figurative seizure...).  The entire time I was laughing from the pun.  My fiancee (now Wifu) thought I was troubled, and the sculpture was done well before the substance could set beyond the consistency of tooth-paste.  It was too wet to hold up against gravity and so his chilled, laid back, attitude comes from the epoxy settling as it dried.  The entire character came from my bad bad bad brain.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 20:03:38 »

Ghhhaaa! I love it! This is my justification for Slo-fi being the best keycap ever!
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline dohbot

FAQ and Question Corner
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:52:12 »

That is a great story! Slo-fi is such a good keycap and with such a specific and dignified subject I knew there had to be a good story somewhere. And I was right!
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:57:37 by dohbot »
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:18:32 »

^-^

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:21:01 »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 22:26:55 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 22:28:48 »