Author Topic: New in Bulk Packaging IBM PC JR keyboard $16 + shipping  (Read 20071 times)

Offline Rayndalf

New in Bulk Packaging IBM PC JR keyboard $16 + shipping
« on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 07:12:22 »
Do you need a cute rubber dome? Probably not, but unlike the HHKB this one has arrows and a cute metal badge. It's pretty adorable so buy the rest before I go back for a second.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-PCjr-Keyboard-New-No-Box/164283728399?

Offline Rayndalf

Re: New in Bulk Packaging IBM PC JR keyboard $16 + shipping
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 07:18:51 »
Straight from the DT wiki
"The PCjr is widely considered to be one of the worst keyboards ever designed, and considered to be one of the main reasons why the PCjr was a commercial disaster."
Wonder if they're referring to the layout or the switch feel. Either way it sounds like a deal to me

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 12:17:40 »
This is the second generation model.  The first generation had the famous chicklet keys.

As I understand it, the mechanism under the caps is still basically the same, and it still has that weird IR-blaster interface, but at least the keys are full-touch and legible.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 15:01:00 »
seem to recall someone working on a replacement plate for a hand-wired build in one of these.  I can't see any other reason to buy one though.  lol

That would be a cool project. If you could make a plate and pcb running qmk.  Doesn't seem like the layout would be too exotic.  And you would get a nice beige case for it.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 16:41:34 »
seem to recall someone working on a replacement plate for a hand-wired build in one of these.  I can't see any other reason to buy one though.  lol

That would be a cool project. If you could make a plate and pcb running qmk.  Doesn't seem like the layout would be too exotic.  And you would get a nice beige case for it.
I know the CA66 specifically lists this board as an inspiration. Getting a plate made is easy enough (assuming the case can fit switches), but modifying the original caps to fit those switches would suck, and some of the keycaps sizes are impossible to find (even as DCS blanks). Cutting out the original stems and gluing in 3D printed ones sized to fit would minimize the crookedness, but it would be painful any way I look at it.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 17:20:15 »
I wonder if those came from that old computer store in Dallas that was featured on LGR recently
That place looked pretty epic. I think he even found Ken Willams old decked out PCJr.
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 20:27:02 »
It's being shipped from Garland, which is just north of Dallas so it's a real possibility.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 21:10:55 »
I think Chyros maybe did one on this second generation and said it was still almost as bad as the first. They should pay US $16 to take it.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 August 2020, 22:15:11 »
I think Chyros maybe did one on this second generation and said it was still almost as bad as the first. They should pay US $16 to take it.
It arrived today, so no complaints there.

It's bad, especially for what I assume was a "prosumer" device in 1983. The keytravel is poor, and the two stabilized keys (space and enter) are attatched to the top case on one side and hinged, and the stepped keys still wobble. Quality control is lacking (odd texture / irregular shine on NOS keycaps) and the dyesub bleeds a little bit, but they're still dyesubs.