Author Topic: Least Ergonomic Keyboard  (Read 11243 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Least Ergonomic Keyboard
« on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:14:05 »
What would you say is the worst-feeling keyboard to type on? I'd probably pin the prize on Apple's clear-and-white keyboard they sold a few years ago:

These were the worst keyboards I ever used in the past 20 years. They had awful sticky rubber dome switches, and the key-tops were so close together that I'd often hit two keys at once. And there was absolutely nothing adjustable about these keyboards either--not even any adjustable feet!

So what would you say is the least ergonomic keyboard?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline pyro

Re: Least Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:36:28 »
I keep repeating myself, but...

HHKB Lite / Lite 2

Those keys hate you.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 12:23:51 »
I second that Apple Keyboard. My keyboard broke a couple years ago and I tried to use that keyboard since I had it as a backup. I was going from the chiclet Aluminum Apple Keyboard they are selling now back to that. My main gripe was that the keys were so hard to press. I went out on my lunch break to buy a new keyboard.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 12:43:54 »
I'd take an Apple keyboard any day over one of these:

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 12:49:56 »
Quote from: pyro
Those keys hate you.
You misspelled love, bro.

though I have a few 84-ish key kbds that, yeah, are hard to type on. No images handy I've burned them already.

With great fervor.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:02:36 »
This keyboard... :'(
Very busy with studies atm.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:35:10 »
I'd take an Apple keyboard any day over one of these:

Show Image

Those are pretty bad, but that apple keyboard is still worse.

CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:35:24 »

Now there's a bad one!

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:05:01 »
Easily the waterproof Panasonic tough book.  Even if you can touch type, you have to use one finger at a time to smash the keys to get them to actuate. 

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 16:22:30 »
Apple Aluminium Keyboard International: short throw and metal plate make my fingers hurt, and their extremely narrow ISO Enter is hard to hit on the home row (and I'm not a fan of small left Shift either).

Any sticky/scratchy/mushy rubber dome (well, it doesn't have to be RD, black ALPS aren't any better) that sometimes misses keystrokes, but I guess keyboards that are basically broken (even by design) shouldn't be considered at all, since they aren't meant for typing. Logitech Wave and MS Natural Multimedia Keyboard, which are both supposed to be somewhat ergonomic, would be high on my list otherwise.

Finally, anything with the "standard" staggered layout is horrible. I mean, seriously—that staggering doesn't make any sense.

Offline uzoc

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 16:41:29 »
I second that... What a waste of good keyboard design (except the key feel!).

I keep repeating myself, but...

HHKB Lite / Lite 2
Show Image

Those keys hate you.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 09:08:38 »
And plus it doesn't have a Windows key.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 17:52:12 »

Yes it has.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline unicomp_uc

• Interboardal Love
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 17:56:19 »

dear god that's horrible
Realforce 87U Silent (work) | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco Minila browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic

Visit the Typing Test and try!

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 10:47:13 »

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 14:36:07 »
THIS:

No tactility, flat surface and no incline. Almost as bad as trying to touch type on a tablet.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 01:45:33 »

Yes it has.

No it does not.

Has so.  They are not labelled "Windows", but it is the keys with the diamonds on them.  Same a HHKB Pro 2.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline epiphany

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 12:35:06 »
I saw this keyboard on a case yesterday during a trip to Office Depot. It's similar to the squishy waterproof keyboard posted earlier, but the keys are smaller. Horrible rubber keys that squish in with no feedback. Awful.

40645-0

Granted, you could probably put any number of tablet keyboards or netbook keyboards on this list. I used to have a Dell Mini 9. I basically had to hit the spacebar with my index fingers because the keyboard was small and I'd end up hitting the trackpad with my thumb instead.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 11:03:59 »
Yuck. That thing looks awful!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 22:41:03 »
What would you say is the worst-feeling keyboard to type on? I'd probably pin the prize on Apple's clear-and-white keyboard they sold a few years ago:
Show Image

These were the worst keyboards I ever used in the past 20 years. They had awful sticky rubber dome switches, and the key-tops were so close together that I'd often hit two keys at once. And there was absolutely nothing adjustable about these keyboards either--not even any adjustable feet!

So what would you say is the least ergonomic keyboard?

We used to have those at school, still the worst typing experience I have ever had. I mean the MS Ergo 4k feels like crap, but at least the shape is comfortable. That Apple board is just all-round ****.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 01:07:08 »
THIS:
Show Image

No tactility, flat surface and no incline. Almost as bad as trying to touch type on a tablet.

I prefer no incline. Having the incline puts stress on your wrists

Offline tufty

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 06:23:09 »
Gh0d, those white Apple boards were, indeed, truly horrible, mainly due to the atrocious switches (the keycaps I could live with).  I stuck with mine for under a week before ordering a Tactile Pro from Matias.  I don't think they count as the absolute worst boards I've ever used, though.  Pretty much every laptop keyboard ever, for example (although an honorable mention goes to Apple's powerbook G3 "Wallstreet" series, which was actually pretty good to type on) is worse, and the MS Ergo board, although physically more comfortable than a "stock" staggered board, I found infuriating due to its awful switches.  Not keen on the Apple aluminium keyboards either, and that's what every laptop seems to be aping these days.

Offline iri

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 04:03:52 »
I second that... What a waste of good keyboard design (except the key feel!).
that's hhkb lite. the usual rubber dome board.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline BakerMan1971

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 05:10:34 »
Most uncomfortable keyboard that's fairly common would be the apple chiclet boards they ship with all their machines these days. Was forced to use one at work for a year and it gave me the worst pains in my forearm.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 07:26:21 »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 13:54:25 »
That Atari keyboard... shudder... My fingers hurt just looking at it.
It's like about a 12x spacebar, though, right? At least you won't have to work too hard to find it.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 14:29:39 »
That Atari keyboard... shudder... My fingers hurt just looking at it.
It's like about a 12x spacebar, though, right? At least you won't have to work too hard to find it.

"Technically" it's a 9x spacebar :P

But..ugh those plastic flat keyboards found on so many old school children's toys. The amount of force required to activate a key was horrible. -shudders-
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline BakerMan1971

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 03:18:49 »
Hey Zeal, toys???? those were our MACHINES! :)

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 08 November 2013, 16:26:29 »
How about this http://www.vintage-computer.com/images/atari400.jpg

or: http://www.wearmouth.demon.co.uk/kb.jpg

The Atari 400 is the worst I have personally used.  I spent a many weekends keying in games printed in computer magazines when I was a kid.

THIS:
Show Image

I prefer no incline. Having the incline puts stress on your wrists

I like to use adjust able keyboard trays where I can have the keyboard decline by about 2 degrees.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 06:03:45 »
THIS:
Show Image

I was actually looking for something like this to replace the keyboard on my tablet since there's no ps2-bluetooth adapter out there. :(

Worst for me?  Commodore 64.  Luckily, that was before I could touch-type or I would have had rsi by age 10.

Offline pepijndevos

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 10 November 2013, 10:57:40 »
My brother owns that rubber watter proof thing. I can attest it's terrible.